Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaDimension
Feb 18, 2013
I recently binged through all four of the shows mentioned in the op and I want to give my opinions and recommendations of them.

The Black Tapes Podcast - Really enjoyed this one! It has a great atmosphere that balances both the mystery and horror elements well without sacrificing any humor or moments of levity. I appreciated the pacing of the plot. It gives out enough clues and answers to the mysteries it sets up without relying on huge, boring exposition dumps. By the end of the first season I had enough information to get a general picture of what's going on in the larger plot while still having enough questions about how everything ties together and some of the more specific motivations of certain characters that'll keep me invested going on into the second season. Alex is an enjoyable protagonist and I enjoyed her struggle to balance her logic and rationality with her open-mindedness in the face of the supernatural. I also enjoyed the character of Dr. Strand. He works great as a skeptical foil to Alex without veering off into the rear end in a top hat atheist cliche. His character is the one I'm most excited to see more of in season two. Definitely check this one out!

Tanis - I also enjoyed this one, though maybe not quite as much as The Black Tapes Podcast (yet). I like that this series leans more towards the conspiracy theory side of things instead of just being The Black Tapes Podcast with another coat of paint slapped on it. I don't like Nic as much I like Alex as a protagonist. He can be a bit boring at times and I wish he was a bit more proactive overall. To be fair, these aspects of him does get joked about in the latest episode so maybe it's an intentional characterization, but more passive protagonists just aren't really my thing. Meerkatnip is wonderful and I kind of wish she was the main protagonist instead, though I really don't like the recent romance teasing between her and Nic. I think any genuine romantic relationship between them would just feel awkward and forced and I would prefer if they just stayed away from that kind of plot entirely. But who knows, maybe they're just setting it up only so they can subvert it later, which I would be satisfied with. Check this one out if you like The Black Tapes Podcast.

Limetown - I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS ONE! Everything from the writing to the voice acting to the pacing of the plot and even the sound effects are great. Despite not being quite as heavily focused on the horror or supernatural aspects compared to The Black Tapes Podcast or Tanis, this is the series that gave me the most chills purely from its depiction of the human condition. Season two cannot come fast enough and I would absolutely recommend everyone listen to this series.

The Message - In contrast to Limetown, this is easily my least favorite of the four. Everything about the series is merely okay. The writing is serviceable, the characters are bland, but not unlikable, and the pacing is too fast to really give any of the plot points time to settle in. However, any amount of enjoyment is completely destroyed by an incredibly dumb, last minute plot twist that closes out the series. Seriously, its awful. I would almost say not to bother at all with it because of that, but, thankfully, its mercifully short both in terms of episode count and episode length. Therefore, I would recommend you listen only if you are finished with any other series you are currently listening to and have nothing else better to do or are just especially curious since it won't take much time get through.

drat, that ended up being a lot more words than I expected to write! :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread