Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Majorian posted:

I've been listening to The Black Tapes lately - just started season 2 a couple days ago. It's good, but not great IMO. The overall storyline's interesting, but I agree with most of the criticisms I'm reading here. Some of the acting is just painfully bad. Plus the Canadian accents are a little too obvious, especially when it's supposed to be somebody from the southwest U.S. or whatever.

Also, I get the impression that they don't know very much about some of the deeper topics they address. Stuff like monasticism in Russia and Bulgaria, for example. There aren't too many Order of Saint Benedict monks there, folks.

If you like them, try Tanis instead. It's Nic narrating instead of Alex. There's an early interview that has some pretty cringeworthy acting, but I think overall it's a superior show. I'm a recent adopter of both of them (started and finished Tanis before even touching The Black Tapes - and just finished that on the way to work this morning).

I'm downloading The Magnus Archives right now. I've been a long time Welcome to Night Vale listener, and my wife and I really enjoyed Alice Isn't Dead. Any other good recommendations in the "creepy podcast" genre along the same lines of all these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Limetown is being downloaded, along with The Magnus Archive and We're Alive, as suggested by Reddit. Think I'm set for a while!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I guess I just like the world of Tanis more than The Black Tapes. They're both strikingly similar, though - weirdness in the world, portals to a different land, people going crazy and doing things they wouldn't normally do, weird cults, CEOs of mega-corporations..

I listened to the first half of Limetown episode 1 and decided I better wait for my wife and listen to it together on a road trip - she'd eat that sort of thing up, and I want to be surprised right along with her.

I started The Magnus Archives and I'm really digging it so far. It's like listening to really good ghost stories. The narrator is kinda funny to me.. he's not just reading the entries as an archivist, he changes the tone and speed of his voice and really acts out the emotions and inflections of the first hand accounts.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

D34THROW posted:

Finishing Ep112 of TBT now. Coralee's alive?! What the gently caress is happening here? :f5: Even if it's not the greatest and some of the acting is definitely cringeworthy, the storyline has me hook, line, and sinker. I'm discovering a love for radio drama now!

Yeah the acting isn't great, but I really only care about the story. Strand is pretty consistently good, but a lot of the extras are pretty bad. Not atrocious, but no great. Community Theater level.

That's one of the things I prefer about Tanis - to me TBT seems 100% scripted, but Tanis some of the interactions and awkwardness with Nic makes it feel more off the cuff, like they knew the premise but weren't given word for word how to say it. The conversations with him and Geoff are always pretty solid. Even MK comes around after a while.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Does anyone else have volume issues with Magnus Archives? This is all kinda anecdotal, but I only listen in my car.. I keep my volume at 10-12 for normal podcasts, but Magnus I have to crank up to 17. At that volume the intro music is blaring, but once he puts on that tape recorder filter I can barely hear him unless I turn it up.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The special Halloween episode of TBT is exceptionally creepy. It was morning and I was driving to work and it creeped me out...

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

D34THROW posted:

I could swear I heard weird breathing or growling or something in the background when Alex wasn't talking.

At least it's only another couple months if they release in January again. Then 2-week waits between. TBT was my constant work companion and I just can't get into Tanis. I don't like Nic's voice as much as Alex's.

I wish they did more radio dramas these days...something about picturing the horror in my head makes it worse than seeing it on a screen.

It's hard to keep up with who listens to what, but if you don't already, you should give The Magnus Archives a listen. I'm about 20 episodes or so in and holy poo poo, some give me the heebie jeebies...

Also, I'm totally the opposite on TBT/Tanis.. I think Nic is much better suited for the job than Alex, but I like them both. Nic seems much more genuine and off the cuff in his chats with people. Unless she's acting surprised, Alex sounds like she's reading from a script to me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

They do a few callbacks to previous episodes. I'm about 30 episodes in and it sounds like they're going to establish some sort of meta-plot but it hasn't been overwhelming. If anything, it adds a bit more tension to everything. One of the descriptions of a creature was one of the most horrifying and grotesque things I've ever heard, which is really saying something.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I thought as much. As long as they spoon-feed me the important stuff, I think I'll be alright. I have picked up on certain names as recurring, but I don't always remember their episodes completely.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

It's mundane public radio of a weird desert town. I don't know what you were expecting. I absolutely adore it. It's my bi-monthly "drop everything and listen" show when most of them can pile up a little.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Night Vale does go through arcs, but it's a slow burn. Tiny little things come back. There are some wild turns, you just have to stick with it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

If you ignore the meta plot, that's basically The Magnus Archives.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Talmonis posted:

So far I've enjoyed LImetown, The Black Tapes Files and Archive 81. Any recommendations on those lines for others along these lines? I love creeping dread.

Tanis and The Magnus Archives definitely. Tanis is The Black Tapes people, and Magnus are newcomers who put on a really stellar show, albeit with some audio issues.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

I just started listening to the magnus archives and it's drat good.

Since you're another new listener - do you have weird sound issues with that one? Like, do you find that you have to turn it up much louder than other podcasts to hear it properly?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Today's Night Vale is :3:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Hell, I'm just glad they're back.. Its amazing to me that they can pull off this well thought out podcast with a 30 minute story every week and TANIS and The Black Tapes have been off for about, what, 4-5 months without content now? I know they both have Patreon content, but I can't justify $10 for them honestly.. My favorite non-fiction podcast "Laser Time" only has a $5 Patreon paywall for multiple additional weekly podcasts plus other content. (Very highly recommend them if you're looking for non-fictional entertainment, by the way! They're more of a pop culture podcast about old cartoons, movies, video games, etc - just take a topic, do some research, and talk about it for an hour or two.)

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 29, 2016

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I think they said specifically that they weren't intending to cross them over - though it does seem like something that would be down Dr. Strand's alley. I still enjoy both shows, even if their narrative got a little strained. I'm really looking forward to season 3. I even bought a Tanis shirt because I liked the style but its a bit too short for me, which is a bummer. Oh well. :(

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The TV show "Orphan Black" has a similar hacker who uses "MK" as their handle. Wonder if one took from the other.

And yeah, I have no problem with Meerkatnip. Totally plausible internet handle.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I look forward to Magnus more than any other podcast these days.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

TANIS is back! I really don't care if they never get to the point, or if they're going in circles or rehashing old plots or how goofy the premise is. I just love listening to it for some reason.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

cool kids inc. posted:

Thanks for the recommendation for Magnus Archive. It's really really good 21 episodes in.

It seriously only gets better. Glad you're enjoying it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Is this fiction?

Doesn't sound like it. I'm enjoying it, though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The new podcast from the Black Tapes/TANIS folks launched today. It's called "Rabbits", and it's very much in the same style as TBT/TANIS. Like, identical format. Almost the same music as TANIS. If you're a fan of that, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm enjoying it so far. If you're not a fan of TBT/TANIS, you're not going to like it. Steer clear.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 28, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yep. All their stuff is.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'd say Tanis is superior to The Black Tapes.

Magnus is phenomenal and you should absolutely start listening. I've said it before, but it's the show I look forward to more than any of the others.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Tweak posted:

I'm finally listening to the Magnus Archives (it's great) and I'm about ~20 episodes in: do the recordings ever get louder? Maybe it's just me/my iphone earbuds, but I can barely hear the guy over the outside world when I'm walking around. Meanwhile the opening violin chords destroy my ears since I'm at the max volume (this is perhaps related).

I want to say they eventually fix the balance, but then again I may have just gotten used to it.. That said, I have a much easier time hearing him on my headphones than I do in the car.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I started the Bright Sessions this morning and I'm motoring through them.

Caleb and Adam totally end up gay for each other, right?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Nice. They're well worth the cash!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Wow, Bright Sessions gets good the deeper you go. Some of the acting isn't stellar, but it gets better as it goes.

Damien's voice actor sounds like Dean Winchester on "Supernatural" sometimes.

Chloe is probably my least favorite of the group.. No offence to her personally, I just don't like the "mind reader having one sided conversation" trope.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I want to say first and foremost that I don't have any problem with this at all. That said, I've noticed that a lot of fictional podcast characters are LGBT.. Cecil and Carlos from Night Vale are no secret of course, but if you've read the book and pay attention to some of the side plots, most of the town seems to be gay or bi too. Now listening to the Bright Sessions, (spoilers for anyone who isn't up to date) Chloe is asexual, Mark is bi, Adam is gay, Caleb is.. something, bi maybe? There was some suspicion on Sam's part about Damien possibly being gay or bi or forcing Mark to do something. It's just strange that most of the more popular fictional podcasts are made up almost entirely of people on some sort of atypical sexual spectrum. Again, not a judgement, just an observation.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

Does anyone else notice how they just shoehorn them in when it doesn't really matter as well? Like does Sallys sexual preference matter to the story in any way? No? So why are we bringing it up?

Yeah, same with most of the Bright Sessions ones. Caleb and Adam, fine - I can get on board with that. Literally none of the others matter whatsoever, but they've made sure to bring it up! Its such a small world that they've set this in, too, which makes it feel extra forced.

That said, I downloaded all of them for the first time like 2 days ago and was really bummed today when I reached the end.. What's their update frequency like?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah, but sometimes the way they're thrown around in some podcasts is just silly. The old "show, don't tell" rule of writing should be used. I'll use The Bright Sessions since that's freshest on my mind (spoilers) - Caleb and Adam. That was handled well. High school jock with empathy powers befriends and emo kid, find out they have a lot more in common than they thought, fell in love. Awesome! Well done! Caleb never outright said he was gay, he's dated girls in the past so there's a possibility that he's bi, but he never says it. His sexuality was SHOWN to the audience. Now take Mark. Apparently Mark is bi. This comes up exactly one time - when Sam (his female love interest) is spouting off her fears about what Damien may have done to Mark (or forced Mark to do) with his power of suggestion. The line is something like this - but I'm paraphrasing quite a bit - "Do you think Damien might have forced Mark to do anything? I mean, I know Mark is bi..." Why is that relevant to the story at this point? It's lazy as hell. First off, Damien has never made any mention of any attraction to men - let alone Mark. What does Mark's sexuality have to do with him being kidnapped? And Chloe - you only find out about her being asexual when Frank is talking about how people at the art studio think he's her boyfriend, but that's impossible because she's asexual. But prior to this, she'd talked about being in multiple relationships, but after her sexuality (or lack there of) was established, she's found at least 3 more times to bring it up in unrelated conversations, just to drive the point home.

Again, I have zero problem with podcast characters being gay or bi or asexual or pansexual or transsexual or furries or if they can only get off to hermit crabs. Just make it make it fit the story. How often do you hear a straight character say "As a straight man/woman.." or "I've only ever been involved with people of the opposite gender"? You wouldn't. Because its stupid.

Edit: Another good one is Cecil in "Welcome to Night Vale". Cecil has never in (edit) over 100 episodes said that he is gay. Because you don't have to. Its shown to you as the story unfolds. That's good writing.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 6, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Montalvo posted:

God forbid the gays tell people they like to gently caress each other in a world where almost every single heteronormative narrative story on just about any medium has a hamfisted sex scene between a man and a woman shoved into it.

I feel like you're missing the point, which is kinda what I was worried about in the first place..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

It feels like Carlos' voice actor hasn't been around much lately. Hope everything is okay.. I think he's still part of the live shows at least.

Night Vale was my introduction to this world. I'll be at the NC live show next week! This will be our third time seeing them live, plus chatting with the creators during the first book tour. Joseph hosed up someone's autograph so I got to chat with Jeffrey for a couple minutes. Really nice guys. I've hung out and talked to Cecil a couple times too. He's usually mobbed though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Way to miss the point.

It's not that they're gay or bi or asexual, it's how it's introduced to the story. Everything I mentioned is legitimately lazy.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 9, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Which podcast is it lazy in? I found it pretty good in, The Bright Tapes.

Read back a page or so..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I listened to Magnus mostly while working, but now I'm relistening to the entire series in the car with my wife and I'm picking up on so many extra connections between episodes! I'm even more impressed with them than I was before.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I wonder how much of each episode of TANIS/TBT/Rabbits is silence or creepy sound effects between people talking..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Is tbt even a going concern still?

I assume so. Alex was reading stuff in today's Tanis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Magnus would make a great TV show akin to "The Twilight Zone". Totally episodic but still keeping to a plotline at the Institute. They could keep the general conceit and let someone narrate every episode, then have follow ups to certain things down the road.

• Locked thread