Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I dunno, today's wasn't bad..

Also, I'm biting my tongue on the super unique new character on The Bright Sessions.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Insulting to who, exactly? The fictional character?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The Magnus Archives. For real. It's the loving best.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

But how can you say with such confidence that she wasn't brought on for that very reason? We know 4 or 5 things about her, none of which is unique to the story, and one of which is her sexuality. We may be looking at it like a box on a checklist, but that's only because it's exactly the way the author presented it to us.

And look, if I didn't like The Bright Sessions, I wouldn't listen. There's something interesting about this group of the world's lamest X-Men. I just hope she can find without stumbling over herself.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Today's TANIS is easily the best they've done in a long time. Holy poo poo, that ending.. It makes me want to re-listen to the entire thing.

Edit: Holy poo poo, today's Magnus Archive thanked me in the intro as a Patreon supporter! :D

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 3, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

AstroZamboni posted:

I had that twist figured out partway through season 1.

Seriously? It never occurred to me at all..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

Can you spoil it?

Geoff isn't Geoff, he's actually Karl - the brother who was obsessed with Tanis and conspiracies and number stations. (Name spellings are from the Tanis wiki)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

I keep meaning to do that with this newest episode but forgetting. Have we met whatshername before?

Yeah, she's got a ghost hunting YouTube show and had an encounter on a hunt that was more related to a crew member than a haunting. Edit: Episode 28, "Skintight"

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Episodes like today's are what keeps me listening to The Bright Sessions. That was really, really good!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

This is why - despite all my complaints - I keep listening to TBS. They are capable of awesome stories.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I've said it before, but Magnus would make a stellar modern take on a show like "The Twilight Zone" or something. Different low budget actors every week acting out the story while someone narrates.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Rabbits is loving weird. I still prefer Tanis.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Hughlander posted:

What episode number had the pool incident originally? I think I had a bad download and I never got it again.

It had to be 5 or 6.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The volume seems really low on this Bright Sessions. I'm 2 notches below maxed out on my headset. If I was listening to music at this volume I'd blow my eardrums out.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

So Mabel is good? I'm a couple episodes in. Is it all a crazy person on voicemail messages?

It's very "Night Vale" in a way..

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 7, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah I'm definitely getting into it. Very creepy.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

It sounds like the strange disjointed mutterings of the Faceless Old Woman.. or maybe a bit like "Alice Isn't Dead" at parts.

At any rate, its very compelling. I'm ~7 episodes in and just started this afternoon.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'll be honest, I enjoyed Mabel more in the earlier episodes. I'm caught up except for one that came out in the last few days, and I could do without ear-splitting yelling out of nowhere..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Montalvo posted:

Oh, it starts having jumpscares? That's bogus, I might stop listening then. I scare easily and mostly listen to podcasts while driving, so that's probably not a good combo.

I wouldn't call them jump scares, but some messages are just screaming or loud crying.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

..a feature length musical podcast? What the gently caress does that mean?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Mabel anymore. The writing is very creative, but the dialogue doesn't sound like dialogue.. It sounds like a goth chick got a thesaurus and this is her high school journal.

Also, this Rabbits sounded more like an episode of Tanis.. I feel like these two are a lot more intertwined than Tanis was with TBT.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 21, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Is anyone a Tanis Patron? If so, how is the bonus content? I don't mind hearing Nic's ramblings but don't know if I want to spend money for it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm a fan, but its been spinning its wheels for a while. I think Tanis and Rabbits are much more similar than Tanis and The Black Tapes were.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Tanis has so much promise, but you can't solve the mystery because the podcast is over, so they're going to be perpetually spinning their wheels until they get bored of it and have some sort of ultra unsatisfying conclusion. Which really sucks. I genuinely like Tanis, but I think I mostly just like hearing Nic tell me stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Its like television for your ears.

• Locked thread