Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

The Erland posted:

I'm really liking both Limetown and Alice isn't dead, but is there any good serialized fiction that's not sooooo... X-filesy?

Wolf 359 is really good. I don't understand why it isn't talked about more. The early episodes seem to be setting up a mediocre space sit com, but it goes in a different and much better direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Yes but that different direction is x filesish.

Partially and in a different way than AID and Limetown.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

Is this played as a straight mystery or is there a supernatural element to it?

Nothing explicit by episode 3, but the supernatural is heavily implied.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Len posted:

The opening parts of Wolf 359 remind me of Red Dwarf. Just a few people stuck on a ship with a terrible AI and the hijinks that happen

Edit: and done with Wolf 359 until September. I've listened to Tanis, Black Tapes, Bright Sessions and Archive 81. Any other good ones to binge through? They don't even need to be podcasts I'm okay with radio shows. I think those are still popular in England?

The Six Shooter is well produced and and preserved OTR. Not really an overarching plot, if that's necessary for you.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Drunk Tomato posted:

I was just about to post about my positive reactions to The Message, but then... the epilogue happened. Wtf? Why add that Scooby-Doo poo poo into your story at the last moment?

Also, no one in that show has any moral concerns about a government contractor just hacking everybody's private info (presented by GE).

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Hughlander posted:

There was some handy-wavey thing in the first episode about it that I ignored. Something about nothing else being effective for going through all the paperwork left behind by the last archivist.

Right, but the more sensible thing would be to scan and maybe run some OCR.

That'd go much much faster and be searchable later.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Anyone have any recommendations of decent podcasts that don't have any supernatural or scifi themes?

Also, just listened to the first episode of season two of A New Winter, boy can that whole podasct get a bit silly

You could try Greater Boston. There was a bit about discovering Atlantis, but it's very tangential.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Is there anything good like Alba Salix Royal Physician?

It's a Fantasy Medical Show. It's rad as hell, but they only did one season in 2014, and I want something like it.

Big Data? A funny cyberthriller with premise that would be ridiculous if it weren't sort of plausible. The first episode has some faults they fix subsequently.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

New Leaf posted:

If you like them, try Tanis instead. It's Nic narrating instead of Alex. There's an early interview that has some pretty cringeworthy acting, but I think overall it's a superior show. I'm a recent adopter of both of them (started and finished Tanis before even touching The Black Tapes - and just finished that on the way to work this morning).

I'm downloading The Magnus Archives right now. I've been a long time Welcome to Night Vale listener, and my wife and I really enjoyed Alice Isn't Dead. Any other good recommendations in the "creepy podcast" genre along the same lines of all these?

Small Town Horror is similar. Guy decides to go back to his home town to look into the weird stuff that happened there.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

It's very hard to understand anything about GE Podcast Theatre. Both The Message and Life.after were about a strange new technology that just kills a bunch of people. Oh, and by the way, look at this very similar technology GE is developing.

Who is being advertised to?

Life./after also makes a really strong argument for significant paid time off for bereavement. I can't imagine GE actually wants to provide that.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

LordZoric posted:

What's up fellow Lights Out listener. That, Suspense, and Inner Sanctum probably traumatized me as a kid.

I still remember the one about this guy who found a weird creature below a drilling project. It killed his friends, and he ends up marrying it or something. It was super messed up to my 8-year old mind.

The Thing on the Fourble Board

A classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Hey guys, I'm currently caught up and am looking for more podcasts to add to my ever growing list of content, here's what I've liked so far:

Greater Boston. Big Data. The Behemoth. Spines. Maybe Mabel if you have a tolerance for the style.

• Locked thread