Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Is Tanis at 100+ episodes or is that season notation?

That's just season notation. They're only at 7 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

OmegaDimension posted:

The Black Tapes Podcast - Really enjoyed this one! It has a great atmosphere that balances both the mystery and horror elements well without sacrificing any humor or moments of levity. I appreciated the pacing of the plot. It gives out enough clues and answers to the mysteries it sets up without relying on huge, boring exposition dumps. By the end of the first season I had enough information to get a general picture of what's going on in the larger plot while still having enough questions about how everything ties together and some of the more specific motivations of certain characters that'll keep me invested going on into the second season. Alex is an enjoyable protagonist and I enjoyed her struggle to balance her logic and rationality with her open-mindedness in the face of the supernatural. I also enjoyed the character of Dr. Strand. He works great as a skeptical foil to Alex without veering off into the rear end in a top hat atheist cliche. His character is the one I'm most excited to see more of in season two. Definitely check this one out!

I like the grander narrative that's playing in the background of this one, but it almost lost me with all of the weird technobabble in the middle like the "pythagorean comma". Not that I expect my supernatural fiction podcasts to be 100% accurate, but they are just really bad at writing good science-y things and it's kind of jarring. It quickly got back on track thankfully. I'm really exited for the next season.

OmegaDimension posted:

Tanis - I also enjoyed this one, though maybe not quite as much as The Black Tapes Podcast (yet). I like that this series leans more towards the conspiracy theory side of things instead of just being The Black Tapes Podcast with another coat of paint slapped on it. I don't like Nic as much I like Alex as a protagonist. He can be a bit boring at times and I wish he was a bit more proactive overall. To be fair, these aspects of him does get joked about in the latest episode so maybe it's an intentional characterization, but more passive protagonists just aren't really my thing. Meerkatnip is wonderful and I kind of wish she was the main protagonist instead, though I really don't like the recent romance teasing between her and Nic. I think any genuine romantic relationship between them would just feel awkward and forced and I would prefer if they just stayed away from that kind of plot entirely. But who knows, maybe they're just setting it up only so they can subvert it later, which I would be satisfied with. Check this one out if you like The Black Tapes Podcast.

Tanis is also great, and I agree with most of your assessment except for about MK. I really can't stand her, though maybe that means they did a really good job of writing a professional hacker character because I find most of them pretty insufferable. She seems to take all of the agency away from Nic in the story and for most of it he's just along for the ride. That might be good if the story was better paced around the idea.

There are a lot of parallels between it and the book House of Leaves and I'm curious to see where it all goes.

OmegaDimension posted:

The Message - In contrast to Limetown, this is easily my least favorite of the four. Everything about the series is merely okay. The writing is serviceable, the characters are bland, but not unlikable, and the pacing is too fast to really give any of the plot points time to settle in. However, any amount of enjoyment is completely destroyed by an incredibly dumb, last minute plot twist that closes out the series. Seriously, its awful. I would almost say not to bother at all with it because of that, but, thankfully, its mercifully short both in terms of episode count and episode length. Therefore, I would recommend you listen only if you are finished with any other series you are currently listening to and have nothing else better to do or are just especially curious since it won't take much time get through.

I really didn't like this one at all. It started strong, but went off the rails very quickly. It suffers very badly from poor characters, plot threads that go no where, terrible technobabble, and an eye roll inducing "twist". Blah. You're right: at least it was short.

For those who are curious I would steer clear of this one.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Slamhound posted:

Archive 81 is a bit rough, but not bad. It's a fairly layered narrative; the audio files of guy who's gone missing. He was archiving the audio tapes of a woman who was interviewing the residents of a New York City apartment building in the mid-nineties.

Is this played as a straight mystery or is there a supernatural element to it?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, good call on the Archive 81 suggestion. I'm not getting any House of Leaves-esque vibe from it at all but I'm really enjoying it so far.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I'm the weirdo I guess, but I enjoy both the Back Tapes and Tanis way more then I enjoyed Limetown.

I know that production and acting quality of Limetown, are much higher then both TBT or Tanis, but I find the ideas behind their stories interesting and relatively unique and refreshing. Limetown just seemed very samey to me, and by the end I was completely "meh" about it. I really couldn't care less if Limetown ever comes back, but find myself eagerly waiting for the new Tanis episodes because I'm legitimately curious to see where they're going with their storylines even if it could use some tightening up of its narrative structure.

I've been really enjoying Archive 81 recently as well. I find it's got the same sort of production values of Limetown combined with the interesting world building of TBT and Tanis.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I want to like Manus Archives, but the narrator sounds exactly like what I think "Pipe Smoking Goon" sounds like and I can't help but be irritated the entire time at how insufferable be sounds.

I thought the ending of Archive 81 was weak, but serviceable. I'm curious where there going to go with it now that they're out of the archive which was their while schtick.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Amateur Sketch posted:

I think insufferable character is intended. I'm just glad he can use enough inflection to add horror or suspense to the story (much better than the flat/mildly-concerned delivery in the PNWS podcasts.). They do a great job on the background music too.

I should have been more clear. I don't have a problem with the character being an insufferable rear end in a top hat accomplished scholar and archivist, but the horrible accent just makes the character sound like an insufferable goon reading creepypasta.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Montalvo posted:

Can someone spoiler Black Tapes for me? I gave up like 3 episodes into season 2 because I couldn't handle the bullshit anymore.

Percival Black and Daeva Corporation are trying to bring about some sort of demon apocalypse with some weird noisecore symphony. The PWNS team is tricked into playing it on the air in order and kicking it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Yes but somehow it grew on me. I realize it's poo poo but I can't stop listening to it. I wonder if Archive 81 will go the same way.

Yeah, I'm a heart beat away from dropping Archive 81. I was pretty certain the last episode was going to be my last until they got to the part with the archival tape of the radio show talking about the weird extra-dimensional radio station. If the show focuses more on those neat, one-off, "short stories" instead of whatever weird and bad exploration storyline they're pursuing then I might keep going with it.

• Locked thread