Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Caught up on:

Welcome to Nightvale
Alice Isn't Dead
Wolf 359
Limetown

Download the Black Tapes

What else is worth the time?

Wolf 359 was a bit of a slow burn but totally had me from the end of Season 1 on. It felt like the Babylon 5 progression from senseless bullshit to Oh god Single Story Arc over the next 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I'd say it's gotten a lot more serious lately. Around episode eleven is where it stopped being "Night Vale in Space" and became its own thing.

Essentially this. It was good until around the first christmas special, then became great. Kind of like Night Vale with the Sandstorm. (Or maybe A Story of You)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just binged through Ars Paradoxica and Bright Sessions...

Ars was pretty much perfect. I liked the shift from S1 to S2 and look forward for more.

TBS seems too short per episode at 10-15 minutes when everything else I listen to is 20-30. I think this also causes the meta plot to feel like it's moving much slower.

Both are really worth the listen to but I'd do Ars first.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BrainParasite posted:

Wolf 359 is really good. I don't understand why it isn't talked about more. The early episodes seem to be setting up a mediocre space sit com, but it goes in a different and much better direction.

Yes but that different direction is x filesish.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

I'm finished with Limetown, Welcome to Nightvale, Alice isn't Dead, and am subscribed to Within the Wires.

Help, what do I listen to next? I can't go to work without a podcast, and these have been like the only things I've listened too.

In addition to what mr bake said, our fair city is pretty good. A new winter was middling. Latest Wolf 359 was great. The message is good for being short and self contained. That's about it for my recommendations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Latest Ars Paradoxica got me thinking of dropping it. It's a good series but everything is just so against the protagonists that it just seems bleaker and bleaker.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Our fair city doesn't get enough love. If you like the night vale comedy but want an audio drama, this is the one.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Scoop hound has pretty much lost me. King falls and night vale explore the space so much better.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Simple: open ended podcasts suck and get run into the ground. Everything should have a story, tell it and move on.

It's why I can really respect SAYER.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Amateur Sketch posted:

I think "trying hard not to tell the story" sums it up well. They keep saying it's an investigation of Strand, but every time Alex asks him an uncomfortable question it's "Please leave." "Okay."

On a different note, I've been binge listening to King Falls AM and it's great. More lighthearted than Night Vale, like the other side of the Coast-to-Coast-AM-parody coin. Still has some decent drama, and the 2 main characters have good rapport to keep things interesting. I just wish episodes were longer!

Also, Within the Wires is really picking up with the story and some world-building. Looking forward to finding out where it goes.

King Falls is my favorite for the past few months, though it's starting to wear on me. I really do like how short most of the episodes are and how they're non-traditional in their episodic nature. (Most have no resolution or falling-action since each is just a single night radio.) I hope the current story arc goes somewhere but it just seems to be ironically less focused once they added it than before.

quote:

I recently binged through The Magnus Archives.

The Magnus Institute tracks paranormal incidents. Each episode is a stand-alone ghost/horror story, though a larger and more connected plot emerges. The narrator sounds like a 15 year old from Pittsburgh trying to sound like a 50 from London, but aside from that, it's good.

Doing these now and they're ok but not great yet. I do like the small glimpses in the more connected plot, but given that it's usually just a 30-60 second epilogue it's not quite enough. I also don't know about this whole "Publish weekly" thing. They've released 30 episodes in 19 weeks. It just doesn't seem sustainable for any amount of quality. It seems only improv shows do that now not scripted, and most improv suck 90% of the time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Nice going to have to add some of those. Sad for no king falls am

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Diet Poison posted:

Started "The Bright Sessions" but I'm gonna drop it if it doesn't pick up. Like, "Within the Wires" didn't take near as long to start peppering in the "things are not as they seem". I get that the doctor has an ulterior motive, she mentions at the end of one of the time-traveler episodes, but after listening to an entire episode of the empath talking about feelings, and an entire episode of the telepath talking about feelings, I'm gonna need this thing to kick into high gear soon.

Thread convinced me to drop Tanis like a spicy keychain. When it's 'on', I really like it, like when he detailed the journey and the impossible building(s), but the main character is the worst investigator (and I didn't notice his constant repeat-line-in-form-of-question thing until this thread but now it drives me nuts, thanks), the sarcastic pixie hacker girl is irritating, and every time he brings Alex in to read something I just become acutely aware this is a performance and not real. Black Tapes is better at keeping me immersed. They both pad out their story too much with weaving massive conspiracies making you concentrate too hard on following the overarching story to notice how much it's dicking around, the "X-Files Method", I call it, and the ad copy is way more grating than any other podcasts I listen to. Maybe because I listen to Bill Burr's podcast and get to hear him say "don't tell me I love the product, don't put fuckin' words in my mouth" and "no they didn't send me one, actually" really makes me scrutinize how false it sounds when Nic and Alex talk about how much they fuckin' love their Bombas Socks and Casper mattresses.

I love Wolf 359, as far as "Wolf 359 is ok but does anyone know of something in space, but less zany?" goes, how far are you into the show? It takes a turn and becomes decidedly much less zany and much more tense.

Bright Sessions gets good in my opinion and it's short to catch up on even if you don't like it.

This week's Within the Wires was great and I'm glad I stuck with it this long.

Archive 81 I thought ended strongly and I look forward to a second season.

Ars Paradoxica had a great Season 1 but season 2 isn't keeping my interest.

But this last month or so the best find was Magnus Archive. I finally caught up and am really dissapointed there's not more. It really rewards paying attention to and I can't wait for the wiki to be more fleshed out for things that I missed. It's what The Black Tapes wishes it was.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

I want to like Manus Archives, but the narrator sounds exactly like what I think "Pipe Smoking Goon" sounds like and I can't help but be irritated the entire time at how insufferable be sounds.

That's a good part of why I liked it. When he breaks character or after making GBS threads on Martin for so long you hear from him and realize Jonathan is just a dick.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Montalvo posted:

Within the Wires is shaping up quite nicely. I'm enjoying the slow burn forwards.

I think I said it this thread already but this last episode was really enjoyable and it's hitting on all cylinders for me.

Also for people on the fence about Magnus Archive or not liking the guys voice / affects... Try this weeks... 32 "Hive" I thought it was really effective, and how it contrasts with the other narrations is great.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kraps posted:

Let's talk about how Edict Zero - FIS is the freaking best but it has a slow burn that's so slow you can get white hairs by the time you catch up.

I listen to almost all of my podcasts with Overcast with Smart Speed and Speed Boost (Drop dead noise and increase speed.) I couldn't get past the first Edict Zero episode because I couldn't find a speed that wasn't either too fast or too slow based on who was talking. Is it REALLY worth listening to at normal speed? I dropped it within an hour for that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

Yeah the whole concept is a little strange... I mean, what is the purpose of recording all these written statements in audio anyway?

There was some handy-wavey thing in the first episode about it that I ignored. Something about nothing else being effective for going through all the paperwork left behind by the last archivist.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Echophonic posted:

I just got done listening to that one and I agree, it was really awesome. The guy voicing Partridge is probably my favorite on AP, really brings a lot of humanity to a man who took self-flagellation to an entirely new level. Partridge's whole arc is so tragic, having him contrasted with Sam, who is growing and improving and learning to trust is really compelling. I hope they do more crossovers and explore more of how Partridge deals with the isolation.

I hope they use it to explain the lack of tech mystery.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

calandryll posted:

Are you talking about how's he's stuck basically with tech from 1996? I think that's the year he mentioned. I'm assuming that he can't go any further forward than when he would have died if he stayed in time.

But he's outside time is the whole point, the tech from the 90s is there and he's sending messages to various points in the past from various points in the past. Unless I'm thinking of something totally different I thought there was even a line where it's been weeks for him while minutes for the person trying to contact him. (Though it does seem that his time is moving forward at least.)

My assumption at the time that was brought up is that some other group gained control of ODIN and decided it wasn't worthwhile using him anymore and just abandoned the whole project. Hopefully he's freed or dies of old age before running out of food though!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

ODIN? You been marathoning Archer?

You know while I was on the way to work it hit me that I used the wrong name. ODAR! Glad someone called me out for it before I could go back and edit it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

NeuroticLich posted:

I just caught up to Wolf 359, and drat that was pretty good! I wasn't expecting the hard left turn into a serious show, but I definitely like the change. Once it veered course slightly and other characters got more screen time it really opened up.

Been listening to The Deep Vault after finishing Archive 81, but I'm not sure how much I like it. Which is weird, because a lot of it reminds me of the cast of Wolf 359. Crazed paranoid, broken AI, pop culture reference man... I dunno, it just feels a bit more forced I guess?

Any suggestions that might fill the Wolf 359 backlog shaped hole in my heart? Preferably something funny but with some drama/action as well?

After the mini-episodes I expected another turn and am kind of disappointed there hasn't been. It really felt like it was prepping for something more.
For suggestions:
MarsCorp
Our Fair City
seem to fill in Wolf 358 shaped holes...

Meowjesty posted:

Magnus archive gettin spooky. :ohdear:

It's the highlight of my week when I see that it's downloaded for the ride home. Sad it's season is almost over, but still what was it 34? 38? episodes this season.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

NeuroticLich posted:

Yeah, after the last one especially I thought it was about to lead into something big. I guess there's something a few weeks off though!

Thanks for the suggestions, Our Fair City sounds promising. And it's a long one too!

Best part of Our Fair City is that the first season which is really just setting up the story is a single 58 minute podcast.

Seasons 2 and 3 are great, but I haven't gotten much further because Season 3 really ended that story that Season 1 starts and I felt to some degree, "I'm good, I don't need more in that world." I'll get back to it eventually but it really gave a sense of closure.

(Marscorp though is a 12 episode series and I'm looking forward to that same sense of composure.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Ars Paradoxica is sci-fi espionage. Sort of.

Only season 2 really which is a mess I think.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Snuffman posted:

An overarching narrative will emerge.

Specifically the end of season 1 is the big narrative bump.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ruptured Yakety Sax posted:

Anyone have any recommendations of decent podcasts that don't have any supernatural or scifi themes?

Also, just listened to the first episode of season two of A New Winter, boy can that whole podasct get a bit silly

Within the WIres is a dystopia without anything overtly sci-fi. On the order of 1984.

With a small spoiler Scotch fits as well.

Oddly enough though out of the 40 or so serialized fiction I listen to every other one is sci-fi or supernatural.

EDIT: in case any one is interested I grabbed the list of synced podcasts:

Podcasts
The Adventure Zone
Alice Isn't Dead
A New Winter
Archive 81
ars PARADOXICA
The Behemoth
The Black Tapes
The Bright Sessions
Brute Force
Bryar Lane
The Bunker
The Byron Chronicles –
Campaign Podcast
The Cleansed: A Post-Apocalyptic Saga
Cthulhu & Friends
Cthulhu & Friends Presents: Side Quests
The Deep Vault
Edict Zero - FIS
EOS 10, a scifi radio play
Escape Pod
Friends at the Table
GeeklyInc: Random Encounters
Harmontown
Hello from the Magic Tavern
Imaginary Worlds
Kakos Industries
King Falls AM
The Leviathan Chronicles
Limetown
The Magnus Archives
MarsCorp
The Mask of Inanna
The Message
The NoSleep Podcast
One Shot
Our Fair City
PodCastle
Pseudopod
RB2 : Risky Business 2
Risky Business
Robot or Not?
Ruby: The Adventures of a Galactic Gumshoe
SABLE
SAYER
Scoop Hound
Scotch
strange N unusual Podcast
Synesthesia Theatre
TANIS
Thrilling Adventure Hour
Total Party Kill
The Truth
We're Alive - A "Zombie" Story of Survival
Welcome to Night Vale
Within the Wires
Wolf 359
Wormwood: A Serialized Mystery

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 4, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Len posted:

Did The Byron Chronicles ever end? I used to listen to it but it felt like I only got one episode a year.

In other news I'm about to finish Magnus Archives today. I really like it but I want to know more about the setting.

Haven't gotten to it yet. I keep adding them since I have a long commute each day.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Slamhound posted:

A ghost! Really?!

The season finale airs today. I'm guessing that spider-person Michael comes and helps them against worm-person Jane Prentis.

Sad day. Finale of marscorp this morning and Magnus archive this evening. And I'm almost caught up on our fair city

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

Is there anything good like Alba Salix Royal Physician?

It's a Fantasy Medical Show. It's rad as hell, but they only did one season in 2014, and I want something like it.

Eos10 is Scrubs in space. Maybe similar enough!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Does Sable ever start to make sense? I finished the first season and the 3 part interlude, and I can't say I have any clear idea on what happened. I couldn't really understand even how many sides there were to the conflict. I couldn't tell if it was alternate dimension shenanigans, time traveling shenanigans, or just hallucinations...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

sithwitch13 posted:

If I can self-promote, Strange N Unusual. I've been voice acting here for a while and just joined the writing team. The flagship story, Friend of the Family, is a horror-comedy about monster hunting, family, and hating your coworker. There's also the Dark Files, a Twilight Zone-esque series of stand alone episodes we do once a month, and Letters to Asmodeus, an advice segment featuring a character from Friend of the Family.

We're in our second season and having a lot of fun.

Necro-posting on this... Which character(s) do you voice?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kluliss posted:

I've recently started listening to podcasts and this thread has been fantastic - I've enjoyed Tanis (well, season 1) loved The Bright Sessions, Wolf 359, Ars Paradoxica...but EOS10 is blowing them all out of the water for sheer wonderful silliness.

I did want to ask what people's favourite podcast apps are though - I've tried Stitcher (ok but not great) BeyondPod (which I disliked and my phone hated) and have settled, for now, on Antenna Pod (it's the cleanest, easiest to use podcast app that I've found so far, at least of the free ones.)

If anyone has any more silly sci-fi recommendations, please share - I've gone through the OP (except The Message, I just...couldn't get into it) and am all caught up on the ones I like...

I use Overcast and listed the podcasts I listen to up thread a bit. For Silly Sci-Fi though, add Mars Corp, Our Fair City, Thrilling Adventure Hour (Sparks Nevada Marshal on Mars for Sci-Fi, but Beyond Belief is the best.)

I hear Big Data is good but haven't started it yet.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'm not done with it yet but Big Data doesn't suck. It's genre aware but not laugh out loud funny. It does the investigative podcaster bit better than black tapes / Tanis and knows its protagonists are stupid.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

LordZoric posted:

Maaaaybe King Falls AM. It's way more comedy than horror, but can get creepy on occasion. It starts out very similar to Night Vale but pretty quickly becomes its own thing. All the characters who call into the show are pretty great.

Basically this. Two or so episodes back had a bit that was some of the scariest audio drama I've heard.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

New Leaf posted:

They do a few callbacks to previous episodes. I'm about 30 episodes in and it sounds like they're going to establish some sort of meta-plot but it hasn't been overwhelming. If anything, it adds a bit more tension to everything. One of the descriptions of a creature was one of the most horrifying and grotesque things I've ever heard, which is really saying something.

There's a lot of metaplot, but a most of it you have to search for while the other parts are handed to you.

Give the whole thing a listen to and then go to their forums where the superfans have done episode by episode threads. They pulled out some really good info that went right over my head. "Oh, person who brought the book on ebay is XXBookLoverYYYY, well YYYY means Z therefore XX is the initials of This person. Right?" And then looking at it, you're right. Duh obviously. But I never would have seen it myself since I'm on semi autopilot and the name like that was just a placeholder in my brain.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

military cervix posted:

Anyone listen to Homecoming yet? The first two episodes are interesting, but kind of slow. The cast is pretty impressive for a podcast, with David Schwimmer, David Cross, Catherine Keener and Amy Sedaris. It's probably the largest production that's ever been made in serialized fiction podcasts, so it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

Added it after the times article. Will probably listen after I finish the once and future nerd. I have a feeling that's going to piss me off when it ends cuz it looks like 18 months of nothing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I listened to the most recent Bright Sessions episode, and the AM's experiments are pretty similar to what went on in Limetown. I suggested to Lauren Shippen that someone should write a crossover.

Bright Sessions / Ars Paradoxia was the best thing ever and I hope they do more of it. Or at least acknowledge it on AP.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Pretty sure the crossover is non-canonical. It was a just for fun thing and a way of promoting each other, but I don't think it has any consequences in either story.

I know. But I can still wish.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jurgan posted:

I loved the first season of WO, but I'm starting to have a problem with it. Basically, in season one, Rudyard was thoroughly unlikable. He was constantly trying to cheat customers and take shortcuts, so it was satisfying to see his plans fail and him get humiliated as Chapman effortlessly showed him up. By now, though, it's gotten to the point where he loses even when he tries to do the right thing and he has no chance against the supernaturally skilled Chapman. Rudyard has become the pitiful underdog, and I'm starting to wish for him to win once in a while. It's not nearly as fun to watch someone in a failing business continue to fail.

I read that including the spoilers before starting the show and I'm not done with S2 but I really don't see that yet. The first few episodes of S2 were clearly same old Rudyard. Seance, Cheap funerals. Even later he's done in by his own cheapness same as always. (One bottle of wine for the entire club he worships.)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Best part of black tapes was always the music.

Also to whoever complained about wooden overcoats does the s2 finale work for you?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Vonnegut Asterisk posted:

Anyone else listen to the most recent King Falls AM? Those dudes got some pipes.

King falls used to be such a must listen show but the notebook bullshit really ate up the good will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

So SAYER will be resuming, funded by a kickstarter.

Wish it was Patreon, but I'll contribute to that and anything the marscorp guys do

• Locked thread