Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Definitely digging the new suggestions.

Archive 81 is really enjoyable and I can definitely appreciate the comparison to House of Leaves. I have that sort of creepy surreal feeling that House of Leaves left me with. I also really enjoy Ratty, who is my favorite character so far. It's certainly a lot more polished than I was expecting, given the initial assessment that it was kind of rough.

I did the first two episodes of Ars Paradoxica and I dig that one, too. The more casual tone of it gives it an interesting twist compared to the way Bright Sessions is presented.

Bright Sessions is quite good, too. Took me a bit to really get the characters straight for some reason, but I thought the way they flowed from the premise to the main story arc was well-done. The characters are also all fun. Definitely hoping for great things from this one.

Wolf 359 is great, as has been stated. It took a great, dramatic turn from the lighter subject matter of the first few episodes. It hasn't lost the funny core, it just gives the characters more room to be interesting in between the jokes. The newer characters have good chemistry, too.

As for Alice isn't Dead? I can't figure out if I like it or not. It's got the same sort of writing that turned me off of Night Vale after 80 episodes. It's the way Fink uses repeated phrasings to make things seem unnatural, I think. The storyline is interesting and Jasika Nicole is nailing the performance, which are redeeming it quite a bit. However, I kind of hate the 'riddle'. The punchline being some awkward, wordy existential koan was okay the first time, but now the chicken is climbing a tower. Climbing a tower. Climbing. A tower. Spiraling up. A tower. Climbing.

I'm really glad this thread is here, since I suck at finding new podcasts. I really dig this sort of storytelling. I guess it comes from being exposed to The Shadow via CD as a kid or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm binging A New Winter and I'm incredibly engrossed. I don't necessarily like the one man narration considering how many characters there are, but I like the minimalist approach, and it's very weird in a good way as a story.

This is becoming one of my favorite threads. I'm rapidly realizing the SFP genre is just great for my tastes.

I'm only on episode three and I'm not totally sold. I'm digging what it's trying to do, but yeah, the presentation's where it's losing me. I'm guessing it's like a lot of things and kicks into gear in episode 4? That's where Archive 81 got me.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The narrator is Jasika Nicole, but she's not playing Dana Cardinal.

I get where you're coming from regarding the show becoming about Cecil. I want to know more about the Sherrif's cloud office and bloodstone circles and less about his hand-niece's school life.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 7, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Len posted:

I didn't think she was playing Dana but I thought that was the same actress.

Then yeah, same actress. She also played Astrid on Fringe and was great.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Well, you sold me on Scoop Hound, I'll be adding that to my list.

Wolf 359 turns down the comic edge a bit and goes a bit more dramatic, but still keeps the characters interactions really on-point. Personally, I think my favorite character is Hera, but I like snarky AIs.

The ones you don't have on your list that I've been listening to are:

Ars Paradoxica - It follows the accidental inventor of time travel after she ends up on the bridge of the USS Eldridge during the Philadelphia Experiment and is shanghaied into working for the US government in the dawn of the nuclear age. The banter is really funny and all the characters are really interesting. It does have a sort of darker tone as it goes on and they're always pretty well behind the 8 ball, but I really like how they treat time travel and paradoxes. Definitely one of the stronger ones out of the ones the thread's discussed.

A New Winter - I'm still not sure what I think of this one. I like it, but it hasn't really hooked me like Ars Paradoxica and The Bright Sessions have. It's the story of a series of mysterious murders and the narrator's investigation into what happened, told from memory. It's all one person narrating the entire time, so more of a prose feel than a lot of other ones like Archive 81 or even Night Vale. Definitely more in common with Alice Isn't Dead.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

peter banana posted:

It's possible to have a monster of the week show and join the stories together. The Black Tapes isn't really sure if it wants to dot that though and is adding way too many elements for me to keep straight, especially on a biweekly update schedule.

"I looked at the photo. It was [character from 6 months ago whom I've forgotten how they fit into the story]. *spooky music*

And then it turns out it was related to the face thief bit from early season one. Like, continuity is great, but yeah, it's a lot to ask people to keep track of for a biweekly show.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Amateur Sketch posted:

Bright Sessions and Ars Paradoxica released a crossover episode today that was pretty cool! I don't know if they'll keep doing them, but with all the time shenanigans in AP it's easy to hand-wave the differences in continuity.

I just got done listening to that one and I agree, it was really awesome. The guy voicing Partridge is probably my favorite on AP, really brings a lot of humanity to a man who took self-flagellation to an entirely new level. Partridge's whole arc is so tragic, having him contrasted with Sam, who is growing and improving and learning to trust is really compelling. I hope they do more crossovers and explore more of how Partridge deals with the isolation.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I use PocketCasts for my podcasting. It's pretty nice, but I've never really used it else. It's pretty customizable, at least.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Len posted:

Yeah I went through season 1 Friday at work and I'm not really sure what happened.

Yeah, I'm about halfway through and I'm really digging it. On the other hand, at the start of every episode, all I can think is "All Glory the Hypnotoad."

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone else listen to Alexandria Archives? I just got done with the first episode and I'm digging it, the first story was pretty solid and I think they did a good job with the late night college radio format.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jurgan posted:

A New Winter would be much better as a novel than a podcast. I like the story (it reminds me of Twin Peaks) but it really doesn't take advantage of the format. The narrator doesn't even try to differentiate the voices so I never know who's talking, and every episode ends with the music getting really loud and then shutting off before saying something dramatic.

Also, I think I'm the only one who likes the new season of Archive 81 better. The first season was just another "creepy found footage" series, but the idea of exploring an uncharted world full of eldritch abominations is really exciting. Also the mad scientist makes me laugh because he sounds exactly like Kevin from Welcome to Night Vale- I'm willing to bet that's an intentional choice by the actor.

They kind of call it out when Dan says he sounds familiar. The second episode definitely won me over, wasn't as impressed with the first. There's kind of a point to the tapes now. Though, I hope they avoid murdering a group of mercs every episode.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm having a really hard time with a lot of these podcasts lately. Alice isn't Dead lost me at episode 7, I quit Night Vale ages ago, didn't finish season 2 of Tanis, and I'm months behind on Ars Paradoxica, Bright Sessions, and Wolf 359. The only one I'm even close to caught up on is Mabel. It's just seems like they lose momentum in the second season and start to meander.

I've mostly just ended up listening to Undisclosed and The F-Plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Wait? They're actually ending it? Like, it's going to have a narrative conclusion instead of just meandering pointlessly? It's a Memorial Day Miracle.

Now to catch up. I'm so far behind it isn't even funny.

• Locked thread