Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Cast Iron Brick posted:

He has a fine radio voice, but he is entirely incapable of giving a performance that isn't a grandpa telling spooky stories around a campfire.

He makes some really...interesting choices in how to pronounce certain words, so much so that once it happens, I can't focus on anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Echophonic posted:

Then yeah, same actress. She also played Asterisk on Fringe and was great.

:colbert:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Meowjesty posted:

Magnus Archives is good. I'm on the Vampire Killer episode and I've grown to love how over this the narrator is at the end of each episode.

This. The narrator never bothered me and his thoroughly British attitude towards everything really makes the show. I mean, the stories are great so far (just finished The Dreamer), but the narration really makes this a winner.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's all well and good and likely true, but it'd make for a boring podcast. You need to allow for some creative leeway so that the fun stories are actually palatable. If he read everything like a court recorder reciting back what a defendant just said, I'd have dropped it after episode one.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Meowjesty posted:

What the gently caress happened to Gertrude Robinson

Yeah, all the hints are adding up and I worry that the truth won't be able to compete with the expectations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Small Town Horror has started its second season. The first season was a little uneven at times, and some of the voice talent was just out and out bad, but there seems to be a good mystery at the core, and the preview for season two was creepy as hell.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Magnus Archive has hooked me unlike any podcast since Limetown.

And, naturally, the season is almost over :smith:.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Small Town Horror gets worse with each episode. The main guy is just completely useless within the story, and his voice sounds like he's always drunk.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Is Return Home meant to be a horror comedy? I've only listened to the first two episodes, but everyone's acting is so over the top that it's hard to take anything seriously.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's amazing how consistently good the Magnus Archives is. Some episodes are stronger than others, but I can't think of any that were bad.

I have to wonder if a (large) contributing factor to that is the difference in mindset between Brits and Americans. The Rusty Quill guys have been consistent in saying they have a five-season arc for TMA, and it's obvious that knowing in advance where your end point is is a huge benefit for pacing and whatnot. Compare that to most any American-made horror podcast, where they seem to start with some fairly clear story goals, but as soon as they get a little bit of popularity, all that goes out the window as they try to milk it for everything they can (just how many Patreon campaigns do these people expect fans to back?). The Black Tapes and TANIS are probably the worst offenders, though Small Town Horror is going down this route, and Archive 81 is going...somewhere (this one may turn out to be good, of course, but the drastic shift in direction is worrisome).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

New episode of Archive 81 is up. I still have some reservations about the new direction they're going, but I am intrigued and will keep listening.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jurgan posted:

Again, I haven't listened in a while, but my guess is that, in-universe, Nic knows MK's real name but doesn't use it on the podcast because she wants to remain anonymous.

This is explicitly stated in an early episode.

Slamhound posted:

Man, I don't remember Nick and MK hooking up at all.

It's an assumption, though a reasonable one based on context.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I started listening to The Box and while I like it, holy god do they need to do something about the volume levels in that loving thing. I'm fine when Addison is just talking, but when they do the phone conversations, the filters or whatever they're using for the person on the other end of the line are terrible and are probably going to end up making my ears bleed.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm up to episode 11 or 12 of The Box and, while they seem to have fixed the issue I complained about regarding the volume levels/filters used during phone calls, my new complaint is that every woman, regardless of age, sounds like a bored 20-something. That's fine for Addison, who actually is a bored 20-something, but it's literally every single female character.

I know the folks producing this podcast (and most any other podcast) have to work with limited resources, including talent pools that are usually just their friends, but it's really off-putting how little effort seems to go into the voice acting for the female characters.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

When you hit the Cleveland episodes and beyond, be ready for them to say gently caress it and literally leave in bad line reads. As in, the actor badly reads a line, sighs and reads it again without any editing. Or another where they literally leave in the flubbed line, the actress laughing, warming up and trying again.

Genuinely couldn't believe how lazy they got with editing toward the end, which is why I'm shocked that they're coming back. It really felt like they ran out of steam.

I finished the Cleveland episode earlier and only noticed one time where a line got repeated, and it sounded more like a hiccup in the audio file rather than a bad reading left in. Regardless, it should have been caught in editing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm up to the "Admit" episode on The Box and the goddamn editing is making it really hard to take anything seriously. For phone conversations in past episodes, either the two people were actually talking or the editing was clever enough to make it seem like they were actually talking, but it's painfully obvious in this one that Addison is just talking over a recording. It's bad throughout, but particularly bad in the first one, with the skeptic guy. All I could think of while listening was that scene in Last Action Hero where Arnie's ex-wife calls and keeps droning on and he just says, "Uh huh. Uh huh. Yeah, yeah, yeah," over and over.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

DoctorWhat posted:

Tanis, for all its faults, has atmosphere.

It serves no purpose, though. The story just keeps going around in circles, with occasional pit stops to beg for Patreon money.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Paul Zuvella posted:

My bathroom has atmosphere too, but at least my shits have the decency to have an ending.

But(t) do they beg you for money?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I got the the first full episode of the new season of The Box and...I can't loving hear it. With the volume on both my phone and my car completely maxed out, I can just barely hear Addison talking; what's his face and the new lady might as well be Charlie Brown adults for all I can make out.

This is loving ridiculous.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Looks like the NVP folks are gearing up for season 2 of Alice Isn't Dead.

quote:

A truck driver searches across America for the wife she had long assumed was dead. Part Two of her search is coming soon. To prepare, let’s relisten to Part One, starting with “Chapter One: Omelet,” this Friday.

Following that, we’re going to be relistening to an episode from Part One of Alice Isn’t Dead every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday this month. Listen with us and share your commentary on Twitter with #AliceIsntDead, or comment on our Facebook posts with your thoughts.

This Friday at 3 PM ET, Joseph Fink, the creator of Alice Isn’t Dead, will be giving live commentary on Chapter One and answering your questions on Twitter. Follow @AlicePodcast and add your voice to the conversation. Joseph Fink will also be hosting a Q&A for Chapter Ten on March 31 at 11 AM ET.

Need a reminder on how to listen? Check out our instructions here: http://www.nightvalepresents.com/aliceisntdead#how-to-listen

Keep an eye out on our official Twitter and Facebook pages for more information about our Part One relisten and news about Part Two.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think everyone that makes, or wants to make, a podcast needs to listen to A Scottish Podcast. From a purely technical standpoint, it's damned near perfect. The overall sound levels are good, sound effects aren't either so loud they blow out your eardrums or so soft that you can't hear them at all, and the producers use common goddamn sense when it comes to relaying information from sources wherein the sound quality might be spotty: a few seconds will play in a spotty manner, then it transitions to a regular recording.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tweak posted:

I'm finally listening to the Magnus Archives (it's great) and I'm about ~20 episodes in: do the recordings ever get louder? Maybe it's just me/my iphone earbuds, but I can barely hear the guy over the outside world when I'm walking around. Meanwhile the opening violin chords destroy my ears since I'm at the max volume (this is perhaps related).

It's gets better in that they lower the volume of the intro stuff so you are less likely to destroy your hearing by preemptively turning the volume up.

I still maintain that anyone currently producing or planning to produce a podcast needs to listen to A Scottish Podcast so they can hear what a group of people that actually understand audio engineering are capable of producing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Turtlicious posted:

Limetown frustrates me because it's been years without any follow up.

The followup was that they got a deal for a TV show and that actually pays real money so it's their focus.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jurgan posted:

Cool, but is that ever coming out? I've heard rumors about this show for over a year, but nothing solid.

Welcome to the world of things being optioned and then getting stuck in development hell :smith:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Update from the Limetown Folks:

quote:

Dear Limetown listeners,

We are about to launch a new show—a feature-length musical podcast called 36 Questions—on a new podcast channel called Two-Up. Going forward, that’s where all our new content (we have more!) will live.

Now that we’ve answered “What happened to the people who made Limetown?” we wanted to address the massive elephant in the room, and give you a more formal update on what exactly is going on with Limetown itself.

Actually, wait. Before getting into that (I know, get on with it already), let’s talk about why we’re making this channel to begin with. To start, we want to acknowledge how weird it probably is for all of you that our next major project is a musical. It was weird for us, too, but that’s exactly why we wanted to do it. While these other, longer gestating projects are happening, our minds… wander. We are always looking for and thinking about what hasn’t been but could be done in the podcasting world, and how it would be possible. That’s why we’re creating the Two-Up channel. After asking ourselves too many times why things weren’t being done, we just decided we should be doing them with the best people for the job. It might be a complete disaster, but we wanted the freedom to tell the stories we wanted to tell, while still pushing the line on what’s actually possible in the space.

Which brings us to Limetown itself, because it’s the foundation of all this.

Limetown has allowed us to build our channel, and if we’re lucky enough to have any level of continued success, Limetown will always be the reason why. Which is to say, as much as you love and care about the show (WHICH WE APPRECIATE SO, SO MUCH), we love and care about it even more than that. It is on low simmer to boil at all times in our minds, and believe it or not, we have been crafting away all this time at its future incarnations. These include:

1. A prequel novel with our writing partner, Cote Smith, which is nearing a complete first draft and is… stunning. You’re going to lose your minds. Cote is a genius.
2. A television series that is coming together in a very exciting way and we hope to be able to discuss in more detail soon.
3. What you’re probably most interested in: a second season of the podcast.
We are very conscious of the time that has elapsed since the release of season one, and all we will say about that is that season two will reflect this, and that it will be worth the wait.

We appreciate your patience, and in the meantime, please subscribe to Two-Up (https://www.twoupproductions.com/) and give our new show a listen. We love it so much, and we think you will, too. We have other shows lined up for the channel in the coming months, and we can’t wait to share those with you as well. We will keep pushing boundaries, and we will keep doing the unexpected.

But our hearts will always be with Limetown. We will not let you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's just good, old-fashioned geek entitlement.

• Locked thread