Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Do you love Serial but wish it had more supernatural elements, grand conspiracies, and mad science? Do you love Night Vale but wish there was a major narrative arc? Are you looking for something other than comedians and random dudebros complaining about stuff?

Enter the world of serialized fictional/alternate reality podcasts. The common thread in this format is building a believable world and exploring a mystery within it using a cast of voice actors. These shows are performed and presented as true radio documentaries, with fictional radio personalities and production companies to create the illusion - Pacific Northwest Stories podcasts even exist as different shows in the same universe with some overlapping characters. Often times the writers will tie in real historical events, mysteries, or people. I think it's an awesome storytelling format and I'm eager to see how it evolves, new ones seem to be popping up every few months.

Here are some of the most popular ones out there right now:

Limetown is a podcast following journalist Lia Haddock's investigation into the events that unfolded in Limetown, a research facility where over 300 people mysteriously disappeared. Of the shows in this format that I know of, this one is the best, with great voice acting, pacing, and IMO the most compelling narrative so far.

The Black Tapes Podcast follows Pacific Northwest Stories host Alex Regan as she explores the world of paranormal investigation. She meets the enigmatic Dr. Strand, a hardcore skeptic of the supernatural, and attempts to unravel the mysteries behind his collection of unexplainable black VHS tapes.

Tanis is a project of Pacific Northwest Stories producer Nic Silver. He stumbles upon a mysterious craigslist post and discovers hints of a dark and ancient secret - one that some people want desperately to stay hidden. Join Nic as he connects the dots surrounding Tanis, the last great mystery of the Internet age.

The Message is a podcast following the reports and interviews from Nicky Tomalin, who is covering the decoding of a message from outer space received 70 years ago. Over the course of 8 weeks, listeners follow a team of top cryptologists as they attempt to decipher, decode, and understand the alien message.

Coming Soon:
There's another Pacific Northwest Stories podcast in the works, a true crime style docu-drama.

If there are other podcasts in this format and you want to contribute a blurb I'll be happy to add it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, a lot of people thought it was in pretty poor taste to use a real tragedy in their story.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

rotinaj posted:

In retrospect, the biggest problem with Tanis is how apparently, the host is Solid Snake.

Seriously, anytime anyone says a new phrase to him, he pauses for a second, then says the exact same thing back to them as a question.

Also the "it's for a podcast" "what's a podcast?" "it's like radio on the internet" exchange gets really grating the fifteenth time. I think a lot of people complained about it in The Black Tapes so they toned it down a bit in Tanis.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I had pretty high hopes after the suicide scene in the previous episode but yeah it's still kinda just.... i dunno. The voice acting seems to have gotten worse somehow, like they're just rushing it out because now they have an audience. TBH I really just want more Limetown.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Hey guys

https://twitter.com/zack_akers/status/707244873108332544

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I enjoyed it and the production was on point. I'm going to rework the OP at some point this weekend because I realized it's kinda biased towards alternate reality stuff.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Hey everyone. I haven't had a chance to listen to a lot of the new serial fiction podcasts and the OP needs to be updated so if you want to write a blurb I'll add it in.

I think I should also separate them by genre - alternate reality (Limetown etc), serial fiction (Alice isn't Dead etc), and... found footage? What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Just get sponsorships from Squarespace and Casper

• Locked thread