Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'd say that stuff is pretty normal OP, because guitarists / bassists tend to stand next to their amp in practice sessions and it's impossible to tell how loud you are a bit further away, in the actual area the other members can hear your volume properly.
We tend to do this for each other as a matter of habit, as it helps you sit in the mix better and benefits everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

praxis posted:

Maybe so, I'd just never seen it happen and it struck me as being akin to just picking up a guy's guitar and playing it without asking. Maybe I'm uptight but I can't imagine doing that.

It sort of is, but again that'd be absolutely fine with my circle of people.
I guess it comes down to how long / well you know the other people as well. If Paul picks up my guitar and starts loving around that's cool cos Paul rocks.
It's as much about social dynamics as anything else I guess, but within my circle of muso pals it goes without saying, of course you can have a go, borrow my poo poo, hit my drums, whatever really :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

praxis posted:

True. I guess the more relevant info was that this was a new group so none of us really knew each other. I do have friends who can sit down behind my kit and play each others guitars freely. I've still never seen one guitarist adjust another one's volume/tone/etc on his own. But at the same time, I've never had a guitarist/bassist ignore the band when he's told he needs to turn down/up/whatever.

If it's a new dude then I'd raise an eyebrow, I'd not say anything though and it'd be OK as long as he wasn't some bumbling oaf or disrespectful to my stuff. I'd certainly be much more on my guard though yeah.

• Locked thread