Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

yeah like, the combat is fun when it works but there've been a few times where geralt just gets stuck in a tree or some poo poo and i just get murdered, or other oddities happen

but the writing is top notch, everything about this game is a labor of love. and i really like geralt's whole monster detective thing

I really loved the quest with the old lady and her pan and she keeps commenting on how you're a freak because you talk to yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I really loved the quest with the old lady and her pan and she keeps commenting on how you're a freak because you talk to yourself.

haha yesb this ruled

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

geralt's hair and facial hair gradually get longer as days pass and you eventually look like a homeless person and everyone calls you gross. there are barbers in the game that can clean you up lmao

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you do the main quest areas in reverse or shuffled up orders you get some different dialogue.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Buschmaki posted:

If you do the main quest areas in reverse or shuffled up orders you get some different dialogue.
There's tons of stuff like this. In one quest, you're trying to find some guy and a lady is all "he went to kill this werewolf". If you happened to have already gone and killed that werewolf, geralt is all "Oh, I already killed it :smug:", and the lady is like "uhh....well he left before you did".

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i wrapped up a major sidequest and was shocked to see a pretty artsy fartsy cutscene play out that detailed the results of the decisions i had made

i need to play this game again on hard mode or something and see the other poo poo that happens christ

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you can go into some corner of the world that has nothing to do with the main quest and stumble into this huge epic story with all sorts of well choreographed cutscenes and well designed dungeons and its like poo poo it makes you want to dig into every nook and cranny cause you might miss really awesome content

reiterating that every inch of this game, someone cared about it, someone poured their hearts into it, even the dumbest little quests. and theres hundreds of them. im shocked

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
This thread is really making me want to play the Witcher 3.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

you should. i went to finally finish it last night intending to just beat the game and stop which was like 2-3 quests and then I kept playing it until morning anyway because its so good.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
It's cool being in the overworld searching out of the way locale and then stumbling into Witcher contracts. Ran into a tough fight just by hunting down Witcher gear.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tip: pay attention to what merchants sell cause sometimes they sell huge inventory space upgrades and other crucial stuff

if you help out keira and complete her sidequests she sells a potion that lets you respec your character for a pretty penny

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Even thoughb I only "kind of" liked Witcher 2 this drat thread made me buy 3 on sale...

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I've been putting it of because I'm a cheapskate but I guess I should get this soon

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
It's 50% off right now

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

tip: pay attention to what merchants sell cause sometimes they sell huge inventory space upgrades and other crucial stuff

if you help out keira and complete her sidequests she sells a potion that lets you respec your character for a pretty penny

*with keira impaled on a stake in the background* no wonder i couldn't find that potion...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Seeing True Gamers who I respect declaring that they couldn't get into the first two games sends a chill of sorrow down my spine. The first game is rough but if you can get through half the other crap ya'll post about you can deal with the jankiness and experience really solid quests and plot. Second game is great through-and-through.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
They call the elves squirrels in the Witcher 2 and I think it's supposed to be like calling them niggers??

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crunk dork posted:

They call the elves squirrels in the Witcher 2 and I think it's supposed to be like calling them niggers??

it's

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In Witcher 2 this guy is taunting you and one of the responses you can choose is "Very funny." but when you pick it Geralt says "gently caress you."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The gameplay is also kinda clunky in 2 and I played it at a younger and more naive time in my life. Highly doubt I could revisit it now, and everything I've seen about Witcher 3 seems only slightly better

Dec 26, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Seeing True Gamers who I respect declaring that they couldn't get into the first two games sends a chill of sorrow down my spine. The first game is rough but if you can get through half the other crap ya'll post about you can deal with the jankiness and experience really solid quests and plot. Second game is great through-and-through.

1 is weird because every chapter is progressively better than the last. the gameplay is not good though

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

witcher 2 has a lot of problems, that game is only playable if you mod Geralt's max carry weight to be a crazy number cause otherwise the entire gathering+crafting portion of the game is a loving nightmare

there's mmo "kill this many endregas" quests, the combat is basically just spamming quen over and over, your dodge roll is slower than your run speed until you reach the mid-game and are able to upgrade it, i could think of a million little turds like that that sod up the experience

still has good writing and stuff and it's pretty as hell, plus, i mean, you can get the game for like 3 loving dollars. but you might need to do some minor modding to make the gameplay enjoyable and that sucks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

1 plays like Runescape and I uninstalled it after 3 minutes. I'm amazed 2 was even by the same developers.

Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

1 plays like Runescape and I uninstalled it after 3 minutes. I'm amazed 2 was even by the same developers.

it makes a really, really bad first impression but it's not quite that bad

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If it takes longer than 15 minutes for something to start being good then your wasting your time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the second major boss in witcher 2 is a complete surprise fight against another witcher who has all of your same powers except they're maxed out and hes incredibly hard and the game saves right when it starts so if you werent prepared youre just kind of hosed

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

If it takes longer than 15 minutes for something to start being good then your wasting your time.

Dec 26, 2012

Wormskull posted:

generally true

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you can deal with monster hunter and xenoblade you can deal with Witcher 2's systems which honestly isn't bad. Did you play it at launch because the Enhanced Edition fixed a bunch of inventory stuff and I think ingredients weigh less too.

01011001 posted:

1 is weird because every chapter is progressively better than the last. the gameplay is not good though

It does get much better as it goes, that sunbaked haunted field that was also next door to a lake inhabited by fishmen who worship an old one was a standout. It had some really good plot threads that are built up throughout the game, which most people don't know about since no one finished it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played it at launch on my old laptop at 640x480. I never opened the inventory or crafted anything because I couldn't read any of the text.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was a dark time in my life.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

I played it at launch on my old laptop at 640x480. I never opened the inventory or crafted anything because I couldn't read any of the text.

Don't bother mate. The next 3 hours are just as stupid as the first 3 minutes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In Training posted:

This is a shame. I picked up the first game after hearing about it post- enhanced edition so I knew with Witcher 2 to wait because CD projekt releases good games with epically bad decisions that are patched 6-12 months later. I think the first game they actually rewrote and rerecorded the entire script.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Don't bother mate. The next 3 hours are just as stupid as the first 3 minutes.

No I mean I played the entirety of Witcher 2 like that. I even started a new file to see the alternate Chapter 2 but burnt out after another 6 or so hours.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was cool that Chapter 3 was like 30 minutes long and the final boss was a series of QTEs so that your build or playstyle had 0 bearing on the finale of the game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

witcher 2 got a pretty crazy revamp with the enhanced edition, completely free too. they made geralt control like he was in an action game instead of like a loving boat and rebalanced many things but, the game's still littered with dumb stuff and the combat is at best dull and repetitive.

witcher 3 makes the combat really interesting, mostly because you control very tightly and you need to use different tactics for different creatures which really mixes it up. witcher 2 you just maxed out sword damage and spammed quick attack on everything

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

No I mean I played the entirety of Witcher 2 like that. I even started a new file to see the alternate Chapter 2 but burnt out after another 6 or so hours.

Same thing then.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tfw youre over 100 hours into a game and you realize you dont give a flying poo poo about it (xenoblade) (witcher 2)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I try not to let that happen to me anymore. It's really rare that I will spend more than an hour or two on a game unless I actually like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Although I did get about 15 hours in Xenoblade before realizing how completely bored of it I had gotten and returned it.

• Locked thread