Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Sometimes it just feels like the game is saying, check it out! This aint basic cable, bitch! Like the game version of an HBO show.

That's how all fantasy and sci fi writing is now. Oi, you knife ear human being, me balls needs to be drained in a Hairy Whore oval office posthaste Good sirs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wormskull posted:

That's how all fantasy and sci fi writing is now. Oi, you knife ear human being, me balls needs to be drained in a Hairy Whore oval office posthaste Good sirs!
I prefer fantasy as a way to escape from my normal life.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

I prefer fantasy as a way to escape from my normal life.

Can't wait for the Dragon Age game where BBG gets mugged by a big buck orc.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
There aren't orcs in dragon age... :fail:

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I really like this game so far but switching between blood borne combat and witcher 3 combat messes with me. I still get owned by packs of rabid dogs. The story is awesome though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

youre gonna tell me that a bunch of people that couldn't shower didn't say "rape" every 5 words? piss off!

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I just got this game on holiday sale but probably won't play it till june, cheers all and as always: Semper Games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Did someone said friend of the family on game of thrones yet

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Did someone said friend of the family on game of thrones yet

black people didn't exist until MLK, iirc

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Lmao I accidentally had the game on the hardest difficulty

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Work Friend Keven posted:

I just got this game on holiday sale but probably won't play it till june, cheers all and as always: Semper Games.

This will work well if you like to play games in the season they take place in. Had a lot of good warm summer nights coming home drunk AF and trying to make Geralt world fight club champion.

Would not recommend using Witcher senses while intoxicated however

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I want to take a nap but I need to finish my Resi 4 run so I can finally try out the Witcher 3. I got Mad Max refunded on Steam because now I don't need it.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Well actually it's mostly because I was walking around holding E to collect parts and realized I was playing an AIDS game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

I don't do this anymore after I got saints row iv for $20 and never played it and then it was $5 the next year and then I got it free in a humble bundle

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

exploring near novigrad, there was a pretty forest nearby it that suspiciously had no markers so i decided to have a look. ran into some kind of..humanoid..elk tree creature thing. it could turn into bats and teleport, summon tree branch spikes out of the ground and conjure wolves. long story short i loving died

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Just bought this game for pc and I don't have a controller with which to plug in. Hopefully KB+Mouse is alright wish me luck!!!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Just bought this game for pc and I don't have a controller with which to plug in. Hopefully KB+Mouse is alright wish me luck!!!

KB+M is better, you're good.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

at the date posted:

KB+M is better, you're good.

I loving love this game so far. But yeah I'm still pretty bad at combat and mainly just spam quick attack, parry/riposte, and the fire sign.

How insane does the crafting get? I've found a bunch of stuff that is like "sell this to merchants or break it down to craft components". Then I started breaking some of the items down and it keeps making items that can be broken down into more components lol.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I really like this game so far, thanks for the heads up everybody. I played 2 and barely made it an hour before I just didn't want to play it anymore.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
There's a lot of stuff and I'm not even sure myself but I think you can recombine those components again anyways so it's net zero. It's more of a way to get low-level stuff if you have missed them and need them , which is pretty rare since youll have enough rope or string or whatever. Imo just sell the big "merchant or breakdown items" when you need the money (stuff like Gold Rings, plates, etc). Most things you should buy on sight are like Gwent Cards and recipes/formulas so if you see them and don't have the gold then just sell some of the luxury stuff.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 3, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I loving love this game so far. But yeah I'm still pretty bad at combat and mainly just spam quick attack, parry/riposte, and the fire sign.

How insane does the crafting get? I've found a bunch of stuff that is like "sell this to merchants or break it down to craft components". Then I started breaking some of the items down and it keeps making items that can be broken down into more components lol.

save any unique components from monster drops like draconid hide in case you find some blueprints that require them. you can find most basic items like leather and metal plates practically anywhere it's best to just keep a few until you wanna craft something in particular.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I would like to play this but Ive not played witcher 1 or 2 and I feel jumping in at the third of a trilogy would be a poor choice.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I vowed to finish a playthrougu of dark souls before diving into Witcher 3 fully and reading this thread is making it hard to not break my oath

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I would like to play this but Ive not played witcher 1 or 2 and I feel jumping in at the third of a trilogy would be a poor choice.

this whole thread has been everyone saying "skip 1&2" so do that

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

VideoGames posted:

it does that mass effect thing where you can select your backstory with dialogue trees

also barely anything critical gets referenced from the last 2

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
The game is less About the dumb story and more about exploring the cool world and obliterating sick monster

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the story is sick actually. what?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

the story is sick actually. what?

i ddint pay attention to it for the little bit i played to be fair so it may be good. i like running around aimlessly and exploring best tho.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think the main story is all that exciting but I'm not very far into it. The setting of a collapsed kingdom full of bandits and starving peasants in the ultra-dangerous fantasy Poland is pretty cool though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

you start getting involved with basically every powerful person that control the various countries, and they all have conflicting interests. have a feeling im gonna be making some big decisions soon

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The bloody barons story is fully sick, especially how leading up to it you're told a bunch of stuff about him that ends up being folk myth about the river running red with blood but it was actually dye

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's not even just the main story that's good, the best part to me was that even the most generic "kill the monster" quests are written thoughtfully and have unexpected turns and interesting choices. Are you going into the woods to kill the dangerous monster or are you killing the towns forest protector that strengthens it's men? I don't know, but I know it's a cool game.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's not even just the main story that's good, the best part to me was that even the most generic "kill the monster" quests are written thoughtfully and have unexpected turns and interesting choices. Are you going into the woods to kill the dangerous monster or are you killing the towns forest protector that strengthens it's men? I don't know, but I know it's a cool game.
This.

And it does it so well that a lot of times you're wanting more or left with "aww gently caress" feeling. Like there was some random side quest early on with some chick that a necromancer turned into a ghost by poisoning her and that was haunting some tower. You needed to bring her on an item or something to her boyfriend/husband(?), so you bring her to him and then you leave the house and hear a scream, you go back inside and she turns into some super evil arch-wraith thing and eats him and then escapes into the wild. Then it's like gently caress do I ever get to hunt her down and it doesn't seem like it even though I just released some super evil bitch into the world:(

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Xaris posted:

This.

And it does it so well that a lot of times you're wanting more or left with "aww gently caress" feeling. Like there was some random side quest early on with some chick that a necromancer turned into a ghost by poisoning her and that was haunting some tower. You needed to bring her on an item or something to her boyfriend/husband(?), so you bring her to him and then you leave the house and hear a scream, you go back inside and she turns into some super evil arch-wraith thing and eats him and then escapes into the wild. Then it's like gently caress do I ever get to hunt her down and it doesn't seem like it even though I just released some super evil bitch into the world:(

i feel like you mixed up two different quests

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

unlike Bioware RPGs, sometimes helping the person asking for help or sparing the person asking for mercy is the objectively incorrect decision to make

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

It's cool it's one of the few games that makes me feel guarded during dialogue, since you really don't know if you can trust what someone is saying. It's not like other games where its really obvious someone is being deceitful or nobody ever tries to trick you. ANd then even if you find out someone was lying to you it can end up being really sympathetic or not even their fault in the end

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

unlike Bioware RPGs, sometimes helping the person asking for help or sparing the person asking for mercy is the objectively incorrect decision to make

Yeah, and you feel like an rear end when you get fooled by some evil spirit or something, since dealing with that kind of poo poo is literally Geralt's day job.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

the best part of this game is the individual quests, yeah. lots of it happens along the main questline for the game, but the best bits still mostly stand alone from the overall plot.

the main story of the game aint bad, but its weirdly paced. it doesnt really pick up until you find ciri, which is like 1/2 of the way through the game. before that you get little teases of it with the parts where you play as ciri, but theres still not much of a sense of the main story moving forward cause it's all still flashbacks at that point.

its kind of funny actually because the main driver of the story is ciri, not geralt. at the end you kill the final boss and all that, but you're really just helping ciri out, and in the parts where you play as her she's like 100x more powerful than geralt. and then at the very end, she just teleports off and literally saves the world off-screen while geralt just stands around all confused. you don't even see what she does or how she does it, cause thats not the real point of the game.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I'm piss poor at this games combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

You're very safe skipping 1 & 2. All three games work pretty well as standalones with only minor ties to the previous games and TW3 is definitely the best jumping-in point. It's not like the first two are bad or anything but the third is by far the most accessible and (arguably) the most fun. (Some people really evangelize for the first but god drat does it have a long and slow beginning.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 4, 2016

• Locked thread