Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Physical cables that you connected from your gameboy to another gameboy for rad Pokemon battles.

Also purple Nyko gameboy lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

:rip: :(

Well, at least Family Video is still around in a very few niche places.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Moon Monster posted:

Ponderosa Pines

Ponderosa as in the all-you-can-eat buffet? I loved that as a kid, like a higher quality version of Golden Corral both in food and clientele. That or Ryan's Steakhouse with all-you-can-eat steak and shrimp. :911:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

CobiWann posted:

Chi-Chi's restaurants. It was a huge deal when I lived in Pittsburgh and they were the only "Tex-Mex" place in that half of the state. I loved their free tortilla chips and their fried ice cream.

Vanilla Laffy Taffy. Laffy Taffy used to come in squares and they had all kinds of flavors.

Didn't Chi-Chi's have a major salmonella outbreak years back?

Also, Chi-Chi means tits in Spanish. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RandomFerret posted:

gently caress American video stores, this is where it was at

Every location had one of these, you could just go in and take a bag of free popcorn and watch whatever vhs tape was playing on the store tv.

It was paradise for a kid with no money or any way to get money.

drat, that looks pretty sweet. Which country? England?

When I was a kid, I rented so many video games every or every other week the staff there knew me by name and even gave me a store display for Diddy Kong Racing for the N64 I still have to this day.

Remember when video stores let you rent video game systems? They came in their own foam lined briefcases (at least with Blockbuster they did). I remember renting the Sega 32X and playing Knuckles Chaotix this way. It... wasn't very good.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MisterGBH posted:

Wimpys.
It was a British alternative to McDonalds and the had English inspired burgers. I remember that they had a doughnut dessert called something like Brown Derby.

They had a Wimpy's in Saudi Arabia when I was a child there (parents were Americans working there overseas before I was born). I think my family still has a clock from there with Arabic numerals.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RCarr posted:

Don't worry, I think you're in for a nice dose of nostalgia some time soon.

http://www.theonion.com/article/will-be-end-trumps-campaign-says-increasingly-nerv-52002

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cleretic posted:

That whole proto-internet, really. Before Wikipedia, Youtube, halfway-decent search engines. If you needed to find something out you had to loving look for it. And if you're like me and that thing was about a video game, you were about to learn some weird and interesting poo poo. Some of it was even true!

The way people learned about and shared info on video games in general was really neat, actually. These days people have really sophisticated tools to dissect and understand a game, and then you'll find out what they've found in a central location; people found out what changed in Undertale's latest patch in less than a day.

Back in the 90s? Good loving luck. You looked through the wilderness of message boards and fansites hoping to find some inkling of an answer to your question, and there's no guarantee that one actually existed. Sometimes that answer wasn't gonna become clear for years, sometimes there was never an answer, both times you'd get stuck sifting through a dozen people trying to bullshit each other with tales of their uncle who works at Nintendo. And then occasionally someone strikes gold and finds some actual, fantastic little morsel of information, either within the game's code or through some outlandish external source, but you'd need to strike gold just to find THEM striking gold.

This was the magic of discovery I had as a kid rummaging through info about Pokemon and Everquest (especially about Kerafyrm). :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Woolie Wool posted:

I remember warpcore.org, an enormous Descent webring (remember those?) that had just about everything that was ever known about or made for Descent in the 1990s. I am sure nothing is left 20 years later. :smith:

Hell yeah I remember webrings! That's the late 90s/early 2000s equivalent of Wikipedia diving (ie clicking on the next random article that enticed your curiosity from the previous article). I also remember visitor counters at the bottom of the page, Angelfire made webpages, and guestbooks to sign after you visited. :corsair:

The Internet was a smaller, quainter place then. :allears:

• Locked thread