Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Phone booths used to be everywhere when I was a kid. There was one next to my school, outside the store, at a crossing on our suburban home street and in the lobby of the airport. By the early 2000s all of them were gone due to the proliferation of mobile phones.

I makes you wonder what mundane urban fixture is gone next. I suspect it's the postbox, because people send fewer and fewer letters these days.

Overall a large number of physical services performed at certain premises have been rendered obsolete by electronic services. The ranks of photo developers, bank branch offices, post offices and computer stores have been severely thinned by digital photography, online banking, email and online shopping.

In NYC pay phones are still around but they've just started converting them into free gigabit wi-fi hotspots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread