Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I am noticing that Raziel's health is constantly lowering, is that an effect of the Reaver or is it just so you don't sit around too long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Raziel's health is now constantly lowered because of Raziel's hunger for souls. The Reaver simply no longer sustains him when active (in SR Raziel's health would go down too whenever the Reaver wasn't manifest in the physical realm). The Reaver will take off a good chunk of Raziel's health in addition to that if it is allowed to "get overaroused" (it doesn't just happen from it consuming souls, but also from defeating enemies without souls and even simply swinging it without hitting anything), which I will show in the next video

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The SR seems more sinister and evil now... Like he said what he thought was one symbiotic in their relationship turned into a parasitic one and that's super scary thinking.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I didn't remember that the Reaver's arousal at William's sarcophagus was the pretext for removing Raziel's tutorial health.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

The SR seems more sinister and evil now... Like he said what he thought was one symbiotic in their relationship turned into a parasitic one and that's super scary thinking.

It'll get much weirder later

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Wait, is it just me, or did Michael Bell pronounce the second c in "cancer" like k near the beginning? How do you even make that mistake, let alone as a native speaker?

Also, Raziel's clearly getting tired of all this poo poo and starts delivering some nice zingers. "And if I tell Moebius that he's worshipping a giant squid?", heh.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 29, 2015

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Aumanor posted:

Wait, is it just me, or did Michael Bell pronounce the second c in "cancer" like k near the beginning? How do you even make that mistake, let alone as a native speaker?

He's not referring to cancer, but to a canker.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
A canker is a lesion or abscess type thing, that must be what he was saying. My own complaint is about Kain's pronunciation of Nupraptor. Hang on, why am I complaining again? This was all great stuff.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I've never understood how, but Soul Reaver somehow managed to make all of this not be the most incredibly purple prose. Crystal Dynamics do a really good job on "let's fight but first we're going to cross our arms and be dramatic at each other for 5 minutes."

It's probably the voice actors being really good.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Wa11y posted:

He's not referring to cancer, but to a canker.
Huh. You really do learn something new every day.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

I've never understood how, but Soul Reaver somehow managed to make all of this not be the most incredibly purple prose. Crystal Dynamics do a really good job on "let's fight but first we're going to cross our arms and be dramatic at each other for 5 minutes."

It's probably the voice actors being really good.

Actually, I've seen complaints that the dialogue is ridiculously overwritten
I respectfully disagree with them

Bachus
May 31, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

It is, but I love the game for it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Alexeythegreat posted:

Yeah, gently caress those guys, this is great.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

First Soul Reaver was where I heard the phrase "scabrous wretches" and I love it for it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
There were a lot of words that I didn't know until playing the LoK games :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Oh my god, this update was just pure :swoon: I don't even know where to being. As a writer I long for writing of this sort of magnitude. Compelling, provoking, and overall just breathtaking how it all builds and binds together. It makes me jealous to say the least.

So the Elder God definitely seems like the antagonist now. Some time back when vampires came to be I guess he was very much upset that their life essence didn't return to him and thus the events in blood omen took place. This is all just speculation of-course and for some reason even back in SR1 I thought there was more to him than meets the eye. Like he's the true evil.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, this is where the series starts to subvert itself. In Soul Reaver 1 it was pretty straightforward: vampires were not only bad for the ecosystem but starting to utterly mutate into monsters because they were around for so long. Wiping them out could only have been a good thing. This is where things get weird.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

Oh my god, this update was just pure :swoon: I don't even know where to being. As a writer I long for writing of this sort of magnitude. Compelling, provoking, and overall just breathtaking how it all builds and binds together. It makes me jealous to say the least.

So the Elder God definitely seems like the antagonist now. Some time back when vampires came to be I guess he was very much upset that their life essence didn't return to him and thus the events in blood omen took place. This is all just speculation of-course and for some reason even back in SR1 I thought there was more to him than meets the eye. Like he's the true evil.

It's all more impressive with the way they... well, Amy was writing SR2 (and also Defiance), as there was a need to take into account the events of Blood Omen 2. BO2 was developed by an external studio, which is not a bad thing in and of itself, but:
- it was developed almost without any contact with the SR2/Def team
- they clearly had less creative freedom than the SR2/Def team, because the desire of publisher to make the game more "marketable", which spawned imbecilic "at least he still has his soul" marketing campaigns for Soul Reaver, seeped into the game itself with BO2, resulting in boobs and violence and "BE THE EVULEST BEING IN THE WORLD"

What you see in SR2 and later in Defiance is not entirely the story that was originally planned, but the fixes created by Hennig, and it makes it even more impressive

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I always loved Amy Hennig's answer to how Raziel can speak without a jaw.

Which was, verbatim: "Supple throat muscles."

Obviously not the canonical reason, but I do enjoy a developer with a sense of humor.

And say what you will of BO2--I haven't played more than a few minutes of it, so I can't really form an opinion--but if it hadn't been created, the story of SR2/Defiance probably would've gone quite differently, and in the end I like how things play out.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Wow, poor Raziel. He's pretty much everybody's pawn. The worst is that he thinks he's doing anything of his own will.

I wonder if he was actually very terrible as a Sarafan to deserve all this? Though really I think it's just a world that screws over everybody always.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wow, poor Raziel. He's pretty much everybody's pawn. The worst is that he thinks he's doing anything of his own will.

I wonder if he was actually very terrible as a Sarafan to deserve all this? Though really I think it's just a world that screws over everybody always.

Oh my poor sweet summer child.

At least by the end of this one we'll get some answers about the Seraphim. Not all of the answers of course, but enough.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That's the biggest tragedy in his story. He actually IS doing it of his own free will.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude posted:

That's the biggest tragedy in his story. He actually IS doing it of his own free will.

Sorry, I used the wrong words there, I meant he thinks his goals are his own, or something like that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Raziel really is the world's easiest puppet though. All you need to do is appeal to his self-righteousness and his self-image as a hero and he's off doing whatever you need him to do.

Like a player actually...

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

Raziel really is the world's easiest puppet though. All you need to do is appeal to his self-righteousness and his self-image as a hero and he's off doing whatever you need him to do.

Like a player actually...

I'll have you know that I don't need appeals to my heroic image, a simple "please" is sufficient :colbert:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

That wasn't a dig at players, more that most game narratives are -show atrocity, designate PC as hero, send them off (on a mission-based structure). They're very boring that way.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Is it just me, or do the female mercenaries sound like they're getting goosed when Raziel is driving his cloven fist through their hearts? It sounds like "ooh! :3: " rather than :gonk: to me

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
That little frog hopping up behind Raziel in the one cutscene was hilarious to me.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The frogs aren't actually scripted. So a frog can never appear at all, or a frog can cover up a third of the screen :frog:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The way the frog was made me feel like it was important in some way. Either that or Raziel's familiar.... BELIEVE IT!

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Vicissitude posted:

Is it just me, or do the female mercenaries sound like they're getting goosed when Raziel is driving his cloven fist through their hearts? It sounds like "ooh! :3: " rather than :gonk: to me

Pain sounds being indistinguishable from sex sounds is a grand videogame tradition.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just catching up on videos now. This game is certainly amazing, and having now seen all of BO and SR1 I can only say that it's far better if I had just got SR2 back in day. I was severely tempted after the good reviews, but my universe senses were tingling. All those massive throwbacks, particularly to BO are just amazing considering the time gap between the games. Not to mention that it's really hard to tell where we're just backfilling on plot like modern sequels or if there is actually some grand vision guiding all of this story through BO to Defiance. It's quite a feat.

Also, obligatory voice acting and writing gushing. Yeah it's cheesy sounding and overly dramatic, but when you're basically a God-King who's gonna stop you? I certainly would talk like that if I could. Glad the Elder God is back too, I love how exasperated he sounds in the end of Kain at the Pillars.

Just as a couple of side notes because I am somewhat of a languages freak. In the "Its Former Glory" video I would have referred to William's little room as a sepulcher. From Google to save time and trying to figure out how to actually say that word. I've basically never heard anyone say it right unless they've read the proper pronunciation.

sep·ul·cher
ˈsepəlkər/
noun
noun: sepulchre

a small room or monument, cut in rock or built of stone, in which a dead person is laid or buried.
synonyms: tomb, vault, burial chamber, mausoleum, crypt, undercroft, catacomb; grave
"an old family sepulcher on the grounds of the estate"

Also, same video just for reference because you have impeccable English, turquoise is typically pronounced without the W sound in the second syllable. More like tur-coys. Rhymes with boys. (Please note I do not want to start a language war, I'm sure certain regions vary but I speak The Queen's English :canada:). All of our French and Middle French loan words in English as bastards to be honest. Don't even get me started on the proper pronunciation of foyer. I'm sure I say what little Russian I know extremely poorly, and probably out of context. Should I not be calling my friends tovarish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N68WStPgR8U

Crigit posted:

Pain sounds being indistinguishable from sex sounds is a grand videogame tradition.

I would say that Perfect Dark may be the worst offender for this.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 31, 2015

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Also your pronunciation of "thrall" was 100% fine.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I won't be able to tell you in which update you reach the point where I got stuck, but I do remember entering ruins in the swamp/forest shortly before I got lost so you're pretty close.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zushio posted:

language things

Please post more like this, I like to get educated!

Also, if you're interested, the term "tovarisch" was phased out of use with the dissolution of the USSR. It is now only left in the military speech, because Russian doesn't have a title that would be an equivalent to "sir" or "mister", and addressing those in command by just their rank sounds weird and extremely rude, so they just kept "tovarisch" for the cases when you don't know the commanding officer's name or are addressing multiple people at once

George posted:

Also your pronunciation of "thrall" was 100% fine.

Oh, it's not that I think it's wrong, it's just that it takes me actual effort to say it

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I won't be able to tell you in which update you reach the point where I got stuck, but I do remember entering ruins in the swamp/forest shortly before I got lost so you're pretty close.

I'm guessing that it's either the Dark Forge puzzle or a long sequence of backtracking that comes afterwards. The puzzle isn't immediately obvious and the backtracking can be legitimately confusing

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 31, 2015

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Unrelated: hm, the last update was supposed to be in 60fps
I knew it takes a while to process the videos to 60fps, but I didn't think it would be that long

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
The backtracking after the Dark Forge confused the hell out of me, to the point I finally googled to see where the hell I was supposed to be going. By then, of course, I was on the wrong end of Nosgoth and had to walk all the way back yet again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
That backtrack is confusing for one, and only one reason: the door. When you are at that door in the swamp (the one Raziel knocks out in the last update), you are facing the wrong direction. You are facing the door, while the correct way to go is away from it. You'll see in the video where I backtrack (yes, I do keep the backtracking in, it's the same deal as with block puzzles in SR) that even though I have played ahead, I get confused for a second while my brain is buffering the "you're going in the wrong direction mate" idea

• Locked thread