Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

If you like wildlife photos, especially owls:
https://www.instagram.com/greyghostnaturephotography/

What's the deal with gaining followers and then a few days later they unfollow? Am I supposed to follow them back and people get pissy when I don't, or are these some type of bot accounts?

https://www.instagram.com/jakelanding/ is also pretty good for bird photos. Do you post on Instagram?

Animal posted:

Instagram for some people is a kind of pissing contest where they need to acquire as many followers as possible while following as few people as they can get away with.

I don't care. I follow friends, goons, and people who post photos that inspire me. I don't follow accounts full of image macros and selfies.

But you need to be internet famous! I use my Instagram to share pictures that I take with my friends and family, and follow people that I can learn from. Every so often I will post a photo and tag it with focalmark tags if I think it is worth sharing to a larger audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
I recently cleaned up my account and deleted quite a bit of junk. Now I just post sneak peeks and BTS from headshot/portrait sessions and some other stuff I think doesn't look too terrible: https://www.instagram.com/houseofmarkus/

Saffronica
Feb 10, 2009

accipter posted:

focalmark tags if I think it is worth sharing to a larger audience.

Thanks for this, I didn't know anything like this existed! Helps with knowing what tags to use for a larger audience.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I tried Focalmark out the other day on a random medium format portrait shot. I got a bunch of likes and follows from accounts who had never interacted with me before - and best of all they seem to be real people and not random brand accounts. My follower count has been pretty stable at around 245 for ages now, for whatever reason that seems to be my ceiling, I'm not interested in boosting my follower count just for the sake of it but if I can attract new followers who like the content I'm creating then I'll take one of those in place of five commercial accounts fishing for followbacks.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I've been posting some film shots to my insta
https://www.instagram.com/softerkinder/

gotten lazy in editing tho, havent posted much in a while.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Edit: forgot I already posted in this thread.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Focalmark is certainly interesting. I feel kind of dirty with some of the dumb tags but if people are seeing photos they like then I can't complain. I get maybe one or two follows every few days and maybe 20-30 likes over roughly 24 hours normally. I put up a couple photos using focalmark tags and got around forty likes in two hours on both of them and 7 follows from seemingly real people (not commercial accounts). I also put up a photo with my normal tags a couple hours ago and only got 12 likes so far and no follows from it.

I hope they add more things to it though. There is nothing appropriate for, say, birds right now so there is definitely room for improvement.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thought I would double post an update. I posted a few more pictures using those tags and since then, overnight, I have gotten about 30 new followers, around 15 comments and pictures got between 50 on the low side and 100 on the high side of likes. I never got close to 100 before so that is cool.

So anyway, it certainly does seem like it works well. It's funny because the on that got over 100 likes was a landscape shot that I didn't even thing was very strong but I wanted to see how the tags generated for landscapes worked.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Post the IG link

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I tried that hashtag app on a photo and got like 20 likes and a comment. So ymmv.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm gonna try it on the next photo I post, I'm curious.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
thetzar - omnoculus - portraits, landscapes, and street

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just started Focalmark too and it's working well. Seems to increase my likes 3-4x and gives me at least a couple followers per photo.

One pro-tip is you don't want to clutter your image up with hashtags, or you automatically cross post to other social media, put the tags in your first comment.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Could you explain what that means and what the impact is? I am old and out of touch so I am not sure how the hashtags in the original post make it cross over to other social media, why that is a bad thing or how putting it in the first post benefits me. I have seen people doing that, though, and wondered why so that explains one thing.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

rio posted:

Could you explain what that means and what the impact is? I am old and out of touch so I am not sure how the hashtags in the original post make it cross over to other social media, why that is a bad thing or how putting it in the first post benefits me. I have seen people doing that, though, and wondered why so that explains one thing.

It used to be that Instagram would collapse the post if four blank lines were included in the post. However, this doesn't happen anymore. There isn't anything wrong with using a bunch of hashtags in the post, but it is a little spammy. It's cleaner to hide them in the second post.

The Focalmark hashtags were generated using data from Instagram. I am not sure if those tags would be relevant on other social media platforms.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Mostly a personal preference. Seems kinda spammy to me. I like it to be more like metadata that hides in the background. Also drives me crazy when people put every other word as a #hashtag

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Had a photo somehow end up on the Bureau of Land Management Public Lands instagram today. It's got more than 7k likes, which is probably more than I've received across all my photos on my own account. Yay?

Kaneda215
Apr 6, 2006

Lost is crazy... Kate is hot
orion.gram - https://www.instagram.com/orion.gram/ - I'm a pilot, so a lot of my pictures are from the cockpit and of the places I travel to.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kaneda215 posted:

orion.gram - https://www.instagram.com/orion.gram/ - I'm a pilot, so a lot of my pictures are from the cockpit and of the places I travel to.

hello pilot buddy
added you, I'm Mannymall
travel stuff, pilot stuff, and now drone stuff since I bought a Mavic

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
I kind of take photos of everything. Slowly improving I hope. https://www.instagram.com/matt_mehhh/

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you guys upload non phone photos?

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

underage at the vape shop posted:

I put my SD card into a SD card to lightning port adapter and then import the photos to the camera roll.

Edit: Oh, and my instagram link: https://www.instagram.com/ikristoffer/
I plan to post stuff more often in the future. But adding hashtags is removing all of the enjoyment of posting something. It's too spammy if I add too many, and no one will see the picture if I don't. :saddowns:

Kristneder fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 26, 2017

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I use the cloud enabled Lightroom Mobile subscription.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I download the picture from my Flickr feed using the mobile Flickr app and then upload it to Instagram.

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
I export from lightroom to my Dropbox folder then upload from the Instagram app on my phone

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Ended up going with the flickr route to try the focalmark thing. 31 likes so far, I think maybe 4 or 5 are people that I'm not friends with, 2 are friends, rest feel like flickr follow bots. Thats my trip report, the focalmark stuff had a lot of brisbane tags and its 1230am so maybe its different in the day.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I transfer the images from my camera to my phone or from my drone to my phone.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I share them from the Flickr mobile app.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

The Claptain posted:

I share them from the Flickr mobile app.

I usually do this too, although I'll sometimes grab directly from my camera using the Canon wifi app.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i use my phone to take a picture and upload it

rio
Mar 20, 2008

ansel autisms posted:

i use my phone to take a picture and upload it

Revolutionary

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My phones an ex display from a closed down phone store that has water damage. The camera "works".

I made an account as another place to see good photography so its no biggy. I think if they had an easy option for uploading from pc they could probably kill flickr though.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Finally, I am a true and good artist. I got my 1000th Instagram follower and this reveals my truly elite status.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

elgarbo posted:

Finally, I am a true and good artist. I got my 1000th Instagram follower and this reveals my truly elite status.

Tell me your secrets, oh wise master.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I keep getting like 10 followers every time I post something but then I guess they unsubscribe because I am always just above 500 no matter how many people sub :(

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

elgarbo posted:

How many did you buy?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Kristneder posted:

How many did you buy?

All of them. :(

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
http://instagram.com/inigoambas

People and model kits

chrith
Jan 7, 2009
Chrith - https://www.instagram.com/inthtagram/
Mainly waterscapes, landscapes, water stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I think I have added everybody here so far, if I missed you, look me up and I'll add you back

Instagram.com/mannymall