Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

You could have always had a google drive or something and send links from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Mostly cats and buildings, and Australia. https://www.instagram.com/TheCoupDebacle/

Megabound fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 7, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

bobmarleysghost posted:

You could have always had a google drive or something and send links from there
This would go back to having to email everyone a specific link too right? I don't use google drive much really.

The easiest solution is just to get a website but I'm pretty intimidated about that.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Couldn't you just have a Facebook page for it? That way you'd also be able to upload images into albums too for easier navigation and sorting. Flickr would also work and wouldn't compress your photos as much as FB does.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Helen Highwater posted:

Couldn't you just have a Facebook page for it? That way you'd also be able to upload images into albums too for easier navigation and sorting. Flickr would also work and wouldn't compress your photos as much as FB does.

I made an instagram and a facebook and then put the links on a business card to hand them out. I don't have a flickr because I don't want to pay for pro and just kinda fell out of it. Now I use imgur as a way to download the photos, but should probably go back to flickr seeing that lightroom has that nifty button for it.

Olds
Oct 17, 2005
Olds - olds216 - general photography (whatever catches my interest)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 3, 2018

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
E: deleted

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 11, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

In which I post nerd poo poo when I remember to post at all:

https://www.instagram.com/coteof_atoa/

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Added a lot of you jerks.

I spun up an IG account for posting pictures of my dumb car while I try to learn and shoot cars. Come laugh.

https://www.instagram.com/c7jar/

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

Added a lot of you jerks.

I spun up an IG account for posting pictures of my dumb car while I try to learn and shoot cars. Come laugh.

https://www.instagram.com/c7jar/

Thats a sexy car

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Can I talk to you about our lord and saviour, the circular polarising filter?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Animal posted:

Thats a sexy car

Helen Highwater posted:

Can I talk to you about our lord and saviour, the circular polarising filter?

I have a Vivitar Series 1 CPL, and it's obviously not quality, but if I'm willing to deal with a little discoloring it gets the job done for as much as I've used it. A good quality glass CPL is money, and either because of inexperience (almost certainly), or because of preference, I just generally chose to shoot without. At least the car.

I just genuinely like the way the light refracts and casts on the paint. In some shots I specifically want to manage the light to get the most out of how it's cast.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

none of my coworkers will follow me back :(

:nws: https://www.instagram.com/monster_of_fraud/ :nws:

edit for :nws:

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 20, 2018

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Finally made the jump from Flickr to IG to stay hip with the kids. Still going through my backlog mostly, since school is kicking my rear end, but if you like landscapes and airplanes I'm your guy

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

lots of random amateur Stuff About Town, also lots of cool stuff in this thread to follow, glad I found it

http://www.instagram.com/danohtwo

changed username: http://instagram.com/dan.schumannmraz

mostly abstract/minimal/goofy/cool?

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
https://www.instagram.com/moresalt_/

Lots of abandoned house sketches from NJ, PA, NY, MO and MN. I like to use insta as a previsualization tool. Also general fuckboy stuff.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

A lot of the tumbnails on my profile page are looking really lovely, over-compressed and downsampled, and I don't know why.

I was mostly posting film scans for a long time, and the tumbnails for those posts look fine. Some photos from my digital camera have tumbnails that look fine, but most of them don't. I thought it might have something to do with the pixel dimensions or dpi of the jpegs, or my obnoxious use of fat white borders, but even unaltered SOOC jpegs (albiet delivered to the posting device via Flickr) suffer lovely thumbnail syndrome.

I'm using an Android phone (Moto G5). Any ideas?

Fake edit: I just checked my link, and the thumbnails all look ok in my phone's browser. But if you go to my page from within the app, the top four thumbnails should all look blurry, and then it's a mix of blurry and ok below that.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
baw - mementomorsel - food

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Finally got around to setting up an Instagram and adding a bunch of actual photos.

rohan - rohanbassett - mostly just portra film shots right now

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.instagram.com/thomashurley/ - I do portraits, landscapes, products, etc.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 23, 2018

Ineff
Feb 28, 2010
Really loving browsing these goon accounts. Mine's travel photos and sometimes food: https://www.instagram.com/alexjbaxter/

birds
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/andrew.balch/

Been doing a lot of traveling this year so that's mostly what my IG is comprised of. It's slowed down now but I've gotten into medium format film photography so that's probably what I'll be posting until my next trip.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My account is mostly exploring old locales and graveyards, but also whatever catches my eye in the downtime between exploration. Right now I'm in a lull due to movie and finding a new job.

https://www.instagram.com/brendenkirch/?hl=en

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Finally caught up and followed you all.

Follow me and see my first steps in photography in real time

https://www.instagram.com/veetavix/

BreakinDecency
Apr 14, 2006

Mostly Vancouver, the pnw and the occasional picture of my kid. Maybe some travel whenever I can afford it :shrug:

Watch me learn

https://www.instagram.com/shawnbukhari/

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I seem to remember bringing this up before but I’m wondering if you all have the following experience. I’ve been with Instagram since the beginning. Back then I wouldn’t have called myself a photographer and it is actually partially what got me interested in learning (combined with the dorkroom, which is really where I learned the most for better or worse). Anyway, back then there was always a steady and slow stream of subscribers finding and I always limited my subs to things I actually wanted to look at (it was all cats for a while).

Fast forward to now and I’ve had 520-550 subscribers for longer than I can remember. I always get subscribers when I post, sometimes a handful and sometimes a pretty good chunk of them, but then it levels out back to around 530. I assume everyone is subbing and then unsubbing. Is the expectation that if someone follows you it is to get a follow back? I have a little over 100 subscriptions and I don’t think Instagram would be enjoyable with a poo poo ton of subscriptions since I wouldn’t be seeing what I wanted to having subscribed to every transom person who subbed to me. Are people not actually even looking at the photos they are subscribed to at a certain point and only liking and subbing to get their own subscribers? I feel like this is an old person post and that I don’t “get” how it works or how people use it. I know there are others who keep their subscriptions low, I assume because they also want to actually look at photos taken by the people they have chosen, but the whole thing seems bizarre when I will get like 15 subscriptions in a day and then they are all gone not too long afterwards. Or are they bots (assuming instabots are a thing)?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Caught up with all of you who I wasn't following, hopefully you didnt lose faith in me!

rio posted:

I seem to remember bringing this up before but I’m wondering if you all have the following experience. I’ve been with Instagram since the beginning. Back then I wouldn’t have called myself a photographer and it is actually partially what got me interested in learning (combined with the dorkroom, which is really where I learned the most for better or worse). Anyway, back then there was always a steady and slow stream of subscribers finding and I always limited my subs to things I actually wanted to look at (it was all cats for a while).

Fast forward to now and I’ve had 520-550 subscribers for longer than I can remember. I always get subscribers when I post, sometimes a handful and sometimes a pretty good chunk of them, but then it levels out back to around 530. I assume everyone is subbing and then unsubbing. Is the expectation that if someone follows you it is to get a follow back? I have a little over 100 subscriptions and I don’t think Instagram would be enjoyable with a poo poo ton of subscriptions since I wouldn’t be seeing what I wanted to having subscribed to every transom person who subbed to me. Are people not actually even looking at the photos they are subscribed to at a certain point and only liking and subbing to get their own subscribers? I feel like this is an old person post and that I don’t “get” how it works or how people use it. I know there are others who keep their subscriptions low, I assume because they also want to actually look at photos taken by the people they have chosen, but the whole thing seems bizarre when I will get like 15 subscriptions in a day and then they are all gone not too long afterwards. Or are they bots (assuming instabots are a thing)?

There's a ton of botting going on. And people want their follower number to be far higher than the number of people they are following, because it gives them some sort of hipster cred.

Out of curiosity I just checked some of the people in this thread, and there is one good example of a fashion photographer who had us all follow him and then unfollowed every single one of us LOL.

Animal fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 1, 2018

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

rio posted:

I'm in the same boat. I've been stuck at ~930 for months now even though I post regularly. If you use any popular hashtags you'll get a lot more follows that drop off after a week. If you try to research how to get more followers most of the videos tell people to do exactly this so I'm not really surprised.

The thing I have never understood is how to get follows from "regular people". The kinds of people who follow because they just want your pictures in their feed. I'm obviously doing something wrong but I've given up trying to "get" this platform.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

InternetJunky posted:

The thing I have never understood is how to get follows from "regular people". The kinds of people who follow because they just want your pictures in their feed. I'm obviously doing something wrong but I've given up trying to "get" this platform.

Hashtag vomit, basically. I don't have a lot of followers at all, but my best results have come from the photos where I just shotgunned a billion tags on to each photo to cover every possible permutation of genre or description, so that when someone actually uses the search function your poo poo comes up.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does Instagram have a word limit anymore? I remember trying to cover every tag possible but often it would iust post with no words, assuming I went over a limit. I started using focalmark for that reason since it stayed under the limit. It was actually not bad at finding an audience when it first came out but I assume now so many people are using it that it doesn’t help much anymore and probably contributes to the issue of getting subs and them having them disappear.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

rio posted:

Does Instagram have a word limit anymore? I remember trying to cover every tag possible but often it would iust post with no words, assuming I went over a limit. I started using focalmark for that reason since it stayed under the limit. It was actually not bad at finding an audience when it first came out but I assume now so many people are using it that it doesn’t help much anymore and probably contributes to the issue of getting subs and them having them disappear.

You are limited to 30 hashtags per upload and I believe your upload gets pretty quickly hidden from other users if you use too many hashtags. Most of the successful Instagrammers I know just have a poo poo ton of friends irl who will like and comment on everything they post.

Also, if a goon follows a fellow goon it'd be good to post a comment to let us know so we don't ignore you thinking you'll just unfollow the next day.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

post photos that are interesting and people will follow you. its easy

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

No way, that's too hard.

There must be a way to game the system!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Not sure if this is in jest but somehow I don’t think that’s all it takes since there are plenty of people taking good photos that aren’t getting subscribers (and I’m not talking about myself as some sort of brag). That does seem like how it used to work on Instagram but something has changed. If good images were what got subs then there are wouldn’t be many, many trash photographers with tons of subscribers either. I mean part of Instagram isn’t even about photography anymore and is just an extension of the Facebook mocking up your life to look amazing to others thing. I’m not losing any sleep over it either, I’m more curious what’s going on since I don’t get it - it was pretty clear in the beginning of Instagram but now it is just bizarre and I wonder how people are using the app (if they are actually looking at content or if they are just using it to post, or just using it to garner popularity or what).

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
post photos that are interesting and follow people who would appreciate your photos as much as you appreciate theirs and people will follow you. its easy

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

do you really want the same followers as the folks who try to game hashtags?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ansel autisms posted:

post photos that are interesting and people will follow you. its easy
This is objectively false. Several of my photos have received the "sparkle award for excellence in painting with light" awards on Flickr yet posting those same photos to instagram has been a bust.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

InternetJunky posted:

This is objectively false. Several of my photos have received the "sparkle award for excellence in painting with light" awards on Flickr yet posting those same photos to instagram has been a bust.

You can't expect the unwashed masses of Instagram to have the same level of refinement as you find on Flickr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I have a really dumb instagram question. I have a photo biz account and a personal account. Do I really need a separate regramming app to share a post from the biz account to the personal account?