Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I've always felt that the original intention of instagram was to create this sort of ephemeral "this is what I did today/last night" posts but the format was more generic and people ended up using it in many different ways. Originally you could only upload pics that you had taken within the app and I've always said that instagram should add a feature to make posts delete themselves after a certain amount of time. It also really separated itself by not allowing external links within posts or allowing third party apps to post which were really good decisions imo. It forces you to create content exclusively for the instagram and not just link to another source.

I personally think that's what made instagram so successful as a platform; people could use it however they want (ie a personal blog, a re-post tumblr-esq themed 'aesthetic' blog, a 'features' account to re-post other work you enjoy, a 'visual sketchbook', a portfolio, an advertising platform, behind-the-scenes, etc)

Then snapchat stories came along and did OG instagram better than instagram by making every post delete itself after 24 hours.

(i wish my posts deleted themselves after 24 hours)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
It's also important to note that most regular people, along with gallery owners and curators, art directors and photo editors for major publications all use Instagram. Your 666 Flickr followers are all just dorkroom goons and foot fetishists(which is fine, I'm just saying)