Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I already have some of you on IG but just saw this thread. I am an idiot and don't know how to just link my name so the full link is there.

rio - http://www.instagram.com/northpaul - cats, music stuff, photography

rio fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Focalmark is certainly interesting. I feel kind of dirty with some of the dumb tags but if people are seeing photos they like then I can't complain. I get maybe one or two follows every few days and maybe 20-30 likes over roughly 24 hours normally. I put up a couple photos using focalmark tags and got around forty likes in two hours on both of them and 7 follows from seemingly real people (not commercial accounts). I also put up a photo with my normal tags a couple hours ago and only got 12 likes so far and no follows from it.

I hope they add more things to it though. There is nothing appropriate for, say, birds right now so there is definitely room for improvement.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thought I would double post an update. I posted a few more pictures using those tags and since then, overnight, I have gotten about 30 new followers, around 15 comments and pictures got between 50 on the low side and 100 on the high side of likes. I never got close to 100 before so that is cool.

So anyway, it certainly does seem like it works well. It's funny because the on that got over 100 likes was a landscape shot that I didn't even thing was very strong but I wanted to see how the tags generated for landscapes worked.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Could you explain what that means and what the impact is? I am old and out of touch so I am not sure how the hashtags in the original post make it cross over to other social media, why that is a bad thing or how putting it in the first post benefits me. I have seen people doing that, though, and wondered why so that explains one thing.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

ansel autisms posted:

i use my phone to take a picture and upload it

Revolutionary

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I keep getting like 10 followers every time I post something but then I guess they unsubscribe because I am always just above 500 no matter how many people sub :(

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So since I have been using focalmark I have still been getting a ton more follows than when I wasn't using it. I am wondering though, are most of the people who look at those tags people who just follow to get follows if their own? I got probably 25 more followers more than before I started using it but way, way more follows than that - easily over 100 but I'm not counting so I don't know the exact amount. When I check out my follower number it is always around 500 so I assume that most of those follow me and then unfollow the next day or something. Is this because I don't follow them back? I follow only around 100 people and like to actually see what they post so I keep that number low so I actually have content that is good and not just poo poo selfies and whatnot. Or perhaps it is because I am all over the place and will post stuff from my xt2 that is wildlife and "better photos" than cat pictures, which I also post because I have been doing that since I started way back when instagram came out - I've had a good amount of followers from the beginning and I know they like my dumb cat pictures and I like theirs because cats are awesome. Or maybe everything I post is poo poo - that is a possibility too.

Also I have been trying to keep up with following goons but if I have missed anyone, my name there is northpaul so if I see a goon follow and recognize the name from this thread then I will follow back anyone I missed (contrary to popular belief most of the people here put up interesting and "good" photos)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I seem to remember bringing this up before but I’m wondering if you all have the following experience. I’ve been with Instagram since the beginning. Back then I wouldn’t have called myself a photographer and it is actually partially what got me interested in learning (combined with the dorkroom, which is really where I learned the most for better or worse). Anyway, back then there was always a steady and slow stream of subscribers finding and I always limited my subs to things I actually wanted to look at (it was all cats for a while).

Fast forward to now and I’ve had 520-550 subscribers for longer than I can remember. I always get subscribers when I post, sometimes a handful and sometimes a pretty good chunk of them, but then it levels out back to around 530. I assume everyone is subbing and then unsubbing. Is the expectation that if someone follows you it is to get a follow back? I have a little over 100 subscriptions and I don’t think Instagram would be enjoyable with a poo poo ton of subscriptions since I wouldn’t be seeing what I wanted to having subscribed to every transom person who subbed to me. Are people not actually even looking at the photos they are subscribed to at a certain point and only liking and subbing to get their own subscribers? I feel like this is an old person post and that I don’t “get” how it works or how people use it. I know there are others who keep their subscriptions low, I assume because they also want to actually look at photos taken by the people they have chosen, but the whole thing seems bizarre when I will get like 15 subscriptions in a day and then they are all gone not too long afterwards. Or are they bots (assuming instabots are a thing)?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does Instagram have a word limit anymore? I remember trying to cover every tag possible but often it would iust post with no words, assuming I went over a limit. I started using focalmark for that reason since it stayed under the limit. It was actually not bad at finding an audience when it first came out but I assume now so many people are using it that it doesn’t help much anymore and probably contributes to the issue of getting subs and them having them disappear.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Not sure if this is in jest but somehow I don’t think that’s all it takes since there are plenty of people taking good photos that aren’t getting subscribers (and I’m not talking about myself as some sort of brag). That does seem like how it used to work on Instagram but something has changed. If good images were what got subs then there are wouldn’t be many, many trash photographers with tons of subscribers either. I mean part of Instagram isn’t even about photography anymore and is just an extension of the Facebook mocking up your life to look amazing to others thing. I’m not losing any sleep over it either, I’m more curious what’s going on since I don’t get it - it was pretty clear in the beginning of Instagram but now it is just bizarre and I wonder how people are using the app (if they are actually looking at content or if they are just using it to post, or just using it to garner popularity or what).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

I just went back in this thread and saw my post from October where I mention I had 940 followers, and a few months later I've barely picked up another 40 despite putting a decent effort in to trying to grow that number. I know follower numbers are meaningless and all that, but given how my side-hustle is selling my photos those followers kind of aren't meaningless for me in reality. I would truly appreciate some advice if I can change anything about my instagram posting to increase followers (aside from "post better photos" since that's the obvious one).

https://www.instagram.com/greyghostnaturephotography/

I’ve followed you for a while and love what you’re doing. However, the “post better photos” thing, despite what people say, doesn’t mean much since there are complete garbage accounts with a slew of followers and then people like you who deserve more but pick them up very slowly. I think it’s because it is just social media - people want followers and to be paid attention to, not to look at photos and those that seem to get a lot of followers either also follow a lot and are essentially reading follows for follows, or they did that but then waited a few days to delete those follows hoping the other person didn’t delete them. I am constantly getting follows but have broken even around 530 for years now. I got most of those when instagram wasn’t as huge and seemed to be more about small communities of people who actually cared what they were looking at. Nowadays though I don’t feel like playing the social media game and don’t really anticipate to ever pick up a significant amount more because I’m not willing to do the follow for follow bullshit.

I’m sure there are obviously still people who do want to look at photos on the platform btw. Just the vast majority are using it as another form of social media to stroke their fragile digital egos and probably couldn’t care less about photography in any meaningful way.