Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
pootiebigwang - devinluns - everything from snapshots to projects I am working on. Landscapes, portraits and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
http://hafny.org/blog/2016/12/18-photographers-to-follow-on-instagram-before-the-apocalypse

Somehow they haven't realized that I still suck.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

ianskate posted:

But you made it, right?! That's more important than having skill :D At least that's how Instagram "photographers" work. Which still confuses the crap out of me - there are so many horrible photographers on Instagram with 50k+ followers - how does that even happen?

On a more serious note, which one is yours? e: nevermind in the OP most of the stuff on there was pretty great! Your account is awesome.

Quality over quantity in my opinion. There are plenty of dumb apps you can get that will help bolster your follower count, but if people don't care about what you are doing, I don't see the point. Typically I just post what I want to post, and follow people that I think make good or interesting work. It feels more organic that way, and when someone you respect likes or comments on a photo, it means a lot more than when some random does. Groups/magazines like humbleartsfoundation, flakphoto, aintbadmagazine, hamburgereyes, strantmagazine, thisaintartschool, and theheavycollective are all constantly showing fascinating work. Follow them, follow those they feature (if you enjoy what they do) rinse and repeat. It's gotten to the point where scrolling through Instagram is more of an inspiration machine than it is just to see what people like to eat. Not that there is anything wrong with treating it like a social media account, it is, but at the end of the day, it's also a ridiculously powerful tool for photographers who want to get their work seen especially amongst the art community. At least if you care about that sort of thing.