Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Helen Highwater - serialforeigner - Mostly stuff from wandering around Kyiv, Nadia the Wargaming Office Catte and random stuff that amuses me at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Sent a couple your way.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

spongepuppy posted:

I don't post here much, but if you're interested:

Spongepuppy - https://www.instagram.com/sponge.puppy - Mostly polarized light micrography cross-posted from my flickr account.

Incidentally, has anyone else found that posting to IG from flickr tends to result in really low-res pics on IG?

I download the photo from Flickr to my phone at full size then re-upload that to Instagram. That gets much better results than simply sharing directly from Flickr to IG.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Non Serviam posted:

How did you arrange the Chernobyl visit?
Also, yes, easy on the hdr.

You can get a tour from Kyiv to Chernobyl via a bunch of different tourist agencies. It's only possible to go with an official guide though. If you with a tour agency, the cost varies with the size of the party. Expect to pay about $50-$100 depending. I was invited to go with a video unit from the Ministry of Culture, but they wouldn't give a foreigner a permit to go to the areas that the video unit was going to get access to.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I tried Focalmark out the other day on a random medium format portrait shot. I got a bunch of likes and follows from accounts who had never interacted with me before - and best of all they seem to be real people and not random brand accounts. My follower count has been pretty stable at around 245 for ages now, for whatever reason that seems to be my ceiling, I'm not interested in boosting my follower count just for the sake of it but if I can attract new followers who like the content I'm creating then I'll take one of those in place of five commercial accounts fishing for followbacks.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I download the picture from my Flickr feed using the mobile Flickr app and then upload it to Instagram.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

The Claptain posted:

I share them from the Flickr mobile app.

I hadn't realised that you could do this, so I tried it instead of downloading it to my phone and then re-uploading to Instagram. Directly sharing seems to share a lovely resolution, heavily compressed version of the original. Comparing the original on the Flickr app with the instagram version made me sad.

Kosice_March004.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

vs

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRX2OXUjCNb/?taken-by=serialforeigner

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Your friend has 25k followers. By tagging him in the pic, you get some exposure to all those people.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I use the SquareIt app to put a white border around any picture that won't fit inside Instagram's minimum aspect ratio.

Speaking of crazy feeds, check out Jamie Fenn. He's managed to make his entire feed spanning more than a year of uploads into a single image. It looks better on mobile than on the web app, because the wider spacing between previews spoils the effect somewhat.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Couldn't you just have a Facebook page for it? That way you'd also be able to upload images into albums too for easier navigation and sorting. Flickr would also work and wouldn't compress your photos as much as FB does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Can I talk to you about our lord and saviour, the circular polarising filter?