Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This movie certainly played it safe, though as far as I'm concerned not to its detriment. It served essentially as a soft reset, more or less discarding anything from the prequels as well as the extended universe and setting things up to go into a new direction. It does this very competently, with likeable characters, good pacing, great visuals, and a decent mix of drama, action, and some comic relief (the last of which I personally found less annoying and on-the-nose than the R2-D2/C3PO shenanigans of the OT).

The plot runs very close to A New Hope's, partly because they're both rather straightforward Hero's Journeys, and partly because TFA really loves its callbacks. But a the same time certain character dynamics are fresh and different enough that it's not just blindly retreading old ground. Frankly I was never too fond of Luke's character in ANH, while I'm much more on board with Rey's reluctant hero and Finn's almost childlike enthusiasm.

Honestly, the most glowing praise I can give TFA is that it actually managed to make me feel genuinely excited about Star Wars again. The moment I walked out of the cinema I found myself already looking forward to eventually watching the next one.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU