Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Like before, I'm going to request no plot nor puzzle spoilers. If it hasn't occurred in the LP, or is in a later game: :siren: don't post it!! :siren:
(there is no current megathread unfortunately, so please just be patient!!)

...Professor Layton and Pandora's Box, alternatively named the Diabolical Box in North America, is a DS puzzle game and the sequel to the Curious Village. The game expects you to know what happened in that game, so if you haven't played it before you might be at a loss for a few moments. I will also expect you to know what happened, so either play it or read the linked LP if you like. Or don't and jump in even more in the middle of things. That works too.

Diabolical Box, um... how can I put this? It's not a very good game compared to the first one, nor the next one. It doesn't really suffer from middle of a trilogy so this does not mean it's a bad game, necessarily. It adds some things that are fantastic quality of life changes, has some good puzzles here and there but in general it's just not quite as enjoyable. Maybe that's just me though! Hopefully you'll get the idea over time.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 20, 2016

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Introduction

Considering the last game ended with a town who's entire population (minus two) was robots? Yeah. I could think that very easily.

But, enough spoiling a thing you should already know. Like the previous game, we begin here en route to our main destination.

Sadly, this time we don't be taking the Laytonmobile much of anywhere. I kinda like that rickety old thing.

Oh, and it seems like our duo are being followed by someone I definitely don't recognise. Nope.

Meanwhile, people who totally are not going to be relevant later in this update are being held up.

Just look at this room!
Yes, I can certainly see why some call the Molentary Express

Now don't forget, Luke. A gentleman pays attentions to his manners. In every setting.

And with that, we are off to our destination of... uh...

Hey look, the plot!

All who open it die? Sounds awfully fishy to me.
Perhaps so.

The answer is out there, Luke. But I just need to find it.
We will. I know it.

Seems a bit weird to make the probable main conceit what the prologue revolves around.

Suspense

It worked well enough for the previous thread. Got any complaints, come up with something better.

But all that changed with the arrival of a single letter.

London

What's that, Professor?

Is everything all right?!

Suspense

Of course, it is more commonly known as "Pandora's Box," in reference to the famous myth.

I'm dubious of this reputation, of course, but when my interest is piqued I simply must investigate.
That's why I'm pleased as punch to tell you that the elusive item is finally in my possession.
What's more, I believe I'm on the cusp of unravelling a great mystery tied to this box.
For the moment, let's just say I have a theory, though I haven't been able to prove it yet.

But I must confess that my curiosity is simply overpowering. In the unlikely event that anything should happen to me, please finish the work I've started here.

London

I just can't shake the feeling that something awful has happened...
Well, your intuition's usually spot-on! I say we head out right away!

End

These'll be in the second post for you to check at your leisure.

They're in one of the drawers in that desk.
Will do, Professor! Erm...
If there's something you wish to interact with, Luke, you need only reach out and touch it.

Tutorials excised, and here's a weird thing this game added. These mini-recaps at the end of scenes. They add nothing and serve no purpose. Skipping them too from here on out.

Anyway, nothing else to do here, so we'll grab the keys and move on.

Oh, here they are, Professor!

Also a neat change is that we kind of have an inventory now. This doesn't mean much but it's a good thing to have anyway.

Many thanks, Luke. Now, let's get moving!

We shall do just that. Once we do so...

During one of his visits some time ago, he was kind enough to leave me a map to his home. The map itself, however, is a rather unusual piece of cartography. Look here, Luke.

Oh, how clever! The map itself is a puzzle! Professor, do you mind if I take a crack at it? I just know I can solve this one!

Puzzle Remix

Now we're getting to the important stuff! Picarats are kind of but not really an indicator of difficulty. Like before they let us do other things way down the line.

Like before, I'll be putting all hints under spoiler tags so you can use them if you really want but easily ignore them if you don't.

1. Including the one piece that's in the middle of the map from the start, you have six pieces to move around. ...And only five places to place them in. That means one of those pieces won't be used in the solution.
2. Take a close look at each individual piece of the map, as well as the set portion of the map. As long as you make the roads on each piece fit cleanly into the larger framework, you'll find the answer sooner or later.
3. You may have already noticed, but the piece positioned in the center of the map at the start of the puzzle isn�t used in the solution.

Now, this game does add a series staple in the memo function. It's nice to have but it's not super-useful in many cases.

However, because this game does not like allowing you to have nice things that applies to many, many puzzles here. Still, there are some where it's very handy.

There are also still plenty of puzzles that can really only be done via actively playing it (so many sliding puzzles...). This one isn't really of that ilk, but it's close enough.

London

Laytonmobile makes a cool cameo appearance for this scene at least. It's only like 14 seconds long, so it's not worth making a video of.

But which flat is his?
That, I'm afraid, I don't know. But come to think of it, the letter I received did mention something about this place...

You'll see that at the end of the update!

Now follow me, Luke. We're going up.

Sadly, there's still not much to do but at least now we get a cameo from everyone's favourite member of the Inazuma Eleven.

All right. See that postbox over there? Try touching it with your stylus for me, will you?

Yeah, so this guy gives us our hint coins tutorial.

We'll just skip past that and collect the rest on this screen.

Only chance to collect them, you see. They are still very finite and you might care about that a little.

The same applies to these two here. There's not much else here beyond the door so we'll grab them and enter Dr Schrader's home.

Dr Schrader? Are you home? It's Hershel Layton. I came as soon as I read your letter. Hello? Are you there? Doctor?
I don't hear anyone in there, Professor. What if he's...
This is no time for idle speculation, Luke. We must get this door open first.

So without a key, there's no way to get in!
Ah, of course! How could I have forgotten? These keys were enclosed in the envelope, along with the doctor's letter to me.

Quick, Professor, let me try them on the door.
Huh? That's strange. It doesn't seem like any of these keys work on the lock.
Luke, don't you see? The doctor has set us yet another puzzle to solve.

Puzzle Remix

1. At a glance, the ends of the keys seem too intricate when compared with the simple shape of the keyhole. Concentrate on finding a key with a shape that matches the structure of the lock.
2. Who's to say one end of a key is any better than the other?
3. Turn each key around and try inserting the part you'd normally call the grip.

This is also absolutely one that could be done via thread interaction, but I think it just makes way more sense not to.

Dr. Schrader

With a fit of desperation, Layton and Luke fling the door open...

However, they appear to be too late. And the box is nowhere to be seen either.

Suspense

This is terrible, Professor. Do you suppose the Elysian Box did this to Dr Schrader when he opened it?
I honestly don't know Luke. But that can wait. Right now we need to notify the police!
Of course, Professor!
Hm? What do we have here?

Look at this, Professor. There's no destination written on the ticket.
I've never seen a ticket that didn't say where it was taking you. How strange!
Yes, very strange indeed.

Man, this guy who we have never met before is a giant rude jerk! Who just suddenly pushes a child like that?

Huh? Hey, it's you!

Remember, we HAVE never met him before. In Curious Village, it was an imposter pretending to be Chelmey the entire time.

You two found the body, did you?

Luke remembers a bit too well...

No, Luke! Let him go!
Off with that mask!
G-get off me!
Luke, stop that! That's his face!
Off of me!
Listen here, Luke!
Show yourself, imposter!

Suspense

I'm so sorry, sir! I didn't mean it! I, um, was sure we had another imposter on our hands.
What in the world is this child talking about?! I swear, young ones these days have no manners!

I'm a professor of archaeology at Gressenheller University.
And I'm his apprentice, Luke!

Not at all, sir. In truth, he's-
Professor Layton's apprentice, like I said!
Hmm.
Well, it's really none of my concern. I have a crime scene that needs my attention. Clear a path, will you?
But of course.

Remember, a true gentleman is guilty of obstructions of justice frequently.

Usually for the greater good but this is seriously an awful lesson to teach a child because this is explicitly advocating a crime.

You got it, Professor.
Hmm, yes. Let's see. What do we have here? A murder? Or was the crime self-inflicted?
Inspector, I should tell you that the door was locked before Luke and I came in.

It's a classic locked room mystery. I love it!

Then the doctor was holed up in here, completely apart from the outside world, yes?

What?! How did you come to that conclusion, sir?
Use your noodle, laddie. What other explanation could there be?
It's true that the flat is on the eigth floor and that the door was locked, Inspector. Still, I'd hesitate to say that this room was completely closed off from the outside.
Is that so? Please elaborate.

Eh?
It's as plain as the nose on your face, Inspector.
Feh! I suppose you academics think your fancy degrees prepare you to play detective, eh?
I tell you, nowadays it seems like everybody and their mum thinks they can do my job.
Now, as I was saying, the cause of death was heart failure, plain and simple. And there's what caused it.

This? It's a scaled-down model of a Kronosaurus, if I'm not mistaken.
I reckon that ugly mug would give anyone nightmares. Here's what probably happened.

But... this is the doctor's own home. Why would the bones he put up himself scare him?
People have a way of becoming forgetful with age. Not that you'd understand, boy.
Well, you're right about that. I don't understand it at all...
Mr... Letton, was it? No? Ah yes, Layton. Mr Layton, what do you think?
The scenario you paint certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.
But considering the lights were off when we entered the room, I don't think we've found our answer yet.
Oh, really.

What do you mean, Professor?
Study your surroundings, Luke. I'm sure you can see it too.

End

Puzzle Remix

While an unfortunate stopping point, there are two things to deal with here.

1. Since the doctor mentions hearing music from a nearby flat, you can rule out the window the music is coming from.[spoiler]
2. [spoiler]As the doctor makes special mention of being able to see the sunrise, it's likely his apartment is one of the ones higher up in the picture.

Don't feel bad about actually needing a hint (or two) for this one. I'm sure we've all seen that webcomic strip at some point...

Plus, this one is a mite more important to get done, so I can understand if you focus more on it.

1. Take a good look at all the views. You're looking for something unusual. There are lots of odd objects in the room, but while many may be strange, they aren't the brand of unusual you're searching for.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 29, 2015

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I've been wondering if someone would play this after the last attempt died off. I was actually thinking about doing it myself, maybe. I probably won't post solutions to many puzzles, since I've played this game enough to know ones like these from memory, but I'm definitely following the LP!

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
What webcomic strip are you referring to with the flag puzzle? Not finding anything on google, but no clue what to search for regarding it

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh boy, it's this game. We were talking about it in the Ace Attorney thread the other day.

I remember being very pleased about their re-introduction (or, rather, proper introduction) to Chelmey the first time I played this game.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

FluffySquirrel posted:

What webcomic strip are you referring to with the flag puzzle? Not finding anything on google, but no clue what to search for regarding it

I think he means this one

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
I read the previous LP but don't remember the puzzles, so I'll give this a shot. (It's possible that I might remember future puzzles, in which case I'll recuse myself from those.)

Puzzle 002: The clues are annoyingly vague; it's hard to tell what counts as "nearby" for the sound of music. Does two windows over count? If so, one good candidate is the most upper-left window, that has a blue flag in front of it. I also wonder whether the flag being "in front of the window" means it has to be hung from the same surface as the window, or whether the flag needs to be visible by looking out the window. My money's on the latter, so I think the answer is the lit window just above the one with the cat, that faces the right-hand side of the picture. It is adjacent to the music, and the red flag hung below the music window is visible from that one. It's also one of only two windows where a flag is visible at all.

Puzzle 004: I'd circle the missing curtain on the left side of the window in the third picture. It could easily have been torn off by whoever was in here, who then tied it to something (most likely the tail of the Kronosaurus) and went out the open window. The curtain's not long, but it's long enough to reach one window below. If that window was open (as it is in the previous picture if my earlier guess was right, since it would be the one with the cat), our mysterious burglar could just go in that apartment and let himself out by its front door. Assuming that it was open, of course. EDIT to add: The other possibility is the diagonal bookcase in picture 4; someone could be hiding behind there right now for all we can tell.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, somebody's taking another run at this game! Good luck keeping things together.

I have to say, if that's the real Inspector Chelmey, we were better off with the fake.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzle Remix

2. As the doctor makes special mention of being able to see the sunrise, it's likely his apartment is one of the ones higher up in the picture.
3. The doctor talks about seeing the flag outside his window move in the breeze from his seat inside. There appears to be only one flat in the bunch where you could accomplish this feat.

So, about that webcomic strip I mentioned last time...

(thanks to Feldherren for being able to find a copy of this still)

It was done by Cucumber Quest's excellent artist and author, Gigidigi, before she went on to do that.

Suspense

At the start of most updates, but after the puzzles from the previous one, we'll get a bit of a recap on what's happened recently. It doesn't change overly often, so when it doesn't I'll just ignore it.

That letter prompts the professor and his assistant, Luke, to pay a visit to the doctor.

Known colloquially as Pandora's Box, the Elysian Box is rumoured to kill anyone who dares open it.

Nevertheless, the doctor's curiosity is overwhelming, and he announces his intention to open it.

Puzzle Remix

2. You won't find the answer in the areas that Professor Layton and Inspector Chelmey are examining.
3. The object in question is often found in pairs.

Anyway, now that we're back where we were before we can see that this curtain is more than a little suspect...

Just suspect enough to warrant mentioning, it seems.

A Sound Theory

Suspense

Hmph! So, it is. But what exactly does this have to do with my crime scene?

I love Chelmey's face here. He's so aghast by this turn of events.

Well, er, yes, sound as a pound! I was just about to propose the same idea myself.
Liar!

What say you and I conduct a little investigation of our own?
Professor, look! There's something in Dr Schrader's hand.

It's an old photograph, but it's been torn into so many pieces, I can't make out the original image.

Oh boy, jigsaw time? Still better than a sliding puzzle!

Or, uh, not. Okay then.

What is this anyway? Hmph, not that it matters. I'll be holding on to that. Now, out with the both of you.

Hey, whoa, we need that to do your job better than you ever could! What are you doing, Chelmey?!

End

London

Yet there was nothing resembling such an artifact in his home.
Maybe the person who did this to him was after the box?
An interesting theory, Luke, but for the moment that's all it is.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Professor?
Indeed I am, Luke. I believe a trip aboard the Molentary Express is in order.

Molentary Express

Dr Schrader did his best to point us toward the Molentary Express should something happen to him.
Sure as fog on a London morning, I know that this train will lead us to the answers we seek.

unaware of the secrets that awaited them down those iron tracks.

Like with the Laytonmobile scene, not much point to this one getting a full video. But it does lead us quite nicely into...

The first real chapter of the game. And we're spending it on board this train. Oh boy.

Molentary Express

Ha ha! Quite so, Luke. Every fixture and fitting is the very height of decadence. I'd wager the rest of the train is just as grand. How about a little exploration?

Alright, so now we have free reign to collect the hint coins in our room but we can't actually leave yet.

This stands out a bit too much for Layton to let us. Also it is a puzzle.

Oops! So they are!
You should put your things away before we start exploring the train.

Puzzle Remix

And so it kind of begins...

1. You can use little items like the harmonica and book to fill in the small gaps later, so pack up the big items first.
2. That unwieldy frying pan and spatula set go in the lower-left corner. Luke's teddy bear belongs in the upper-right corner.
3. Luke's book should be placed in the upper-left portion of the trunk. By this point, you should be most of the way toward solving the puzzle, so try working the rest out on your own.

See, this train has many puzzles like this one. Ones that as much as I would love to put them open to posting solutions, they just do not work.

This is nothing new, Curious Village had plenty itself, but this game has more puzzles and it feels like there is disproportionately more of this.

Especially my least favourite kind, but we'll get to that later.

Molentary Express

We were in rather a hurry, so I suppose you didn't really have time to pack properly.
I do feel better with everything put away. Come on, Professor, let's do some exploring.

So now we can actually leave and look around...

Or we can poke the other thing that stands out. And get another puzzle.

Oh, dear. I'll have to remember to get sugar for my tea elsewhere.
Curious though, isn't it? How did they get here? Speaking of ants, try this one on for size, Luke.

Sorry I don't have a clue.

Anyway, NOW we can leave for real. Let's step outside our little cabin and see what we can find.

You don't have to tell me twice, Professor. Now, why don't we start by investigating the train?

Sounds like a plan to me. We'll grab those two hint coins and talk to that girl.

But no one's allowed in 'cept for REALLY rich people. So, misters, are you REALLY rich? 'Cause if you are, you can go see the super-duper fancy rooms.
Super-duper fancy rooms...
...that none but the extremely wealthy can enter. If our young friend is correctly informed, there must be a set of deluxe rooms in the next carriage.
Wow! I'd love to see what those look like! I bet they're simply smashing!

Possibly, but being an archaeology professor who seemingly never does any teaching does not pay anywhere near enough to get in. So, we're stuck on the pleb side of the train.

...I wonder what else Lili has to say. Probably happier than this thought.

We're actually out looking for something, dear. Sadly, we don't know where it is.
Until we find a clue to point us in the right direction, we'll simply have to continue looking.
Ooh, that sounds like lots of work. Here, I'll tell you a puzzle to take your mind off that stuff.

Sadly, we don't have time to puzzle right now.

We can only move further past Lili right now, so we'll do that.

A Posh Person...?
Sometims there will be random voice acting for only a handful of lines. Not worth a video for either lack of animation or length, so I'll just put the audio for that up separately for those that care.

That reminds me, I believe it's dindin time for my sweet baby. I'm off to visit the dining car.

End

Like I said, the times this happens it ends up being very short. Also very rare, thankfully.

Talk about rich and flashy!
Quite. This train is full of many well-heeled patrons like the woman we just met.
We must watch our deeds and words here. A formal setting demands formal manners, don't you think?
Absolutely, Professor!

Admittedly, I have no idea what someone like her is doing on the side of the train that houses all the poors but maybe she's not actually rich. Just stuck up and annoying.

Regardless, we'll grab those two hint coins and look into the one room that's currently open.

I guess blundering into others cabins is all that could be considered exploration. Because we're on a train. A small and very compact place that generally does not house secrets!

...Until now, you probably thought this was Babette's room. Understandable but most certainly wrong. We'll just grab these coins and examine the one thing that stands out.

Who knew that something as ordinary as a pitcher could be so fancy?
What could be more relaxing than sitting in your suite with a cold beverage and watching the sunset?
Not everything that's served in pitchers is good to drink, however. Look at this puzzle, for example.
I'm ready for it, Professor!

That's good. But I'm not, so we'll move on!

The only place left to go from here is back in the hallway and past the door at the far end we could see before.

That leads us to the dining car... and I don't see that loud woman here. I do, however, see a waiter so we'll see what he has to say about this place.

What a pity.
Indeed it is, sir. But while you're waiting for a table, may I interest you in a puzzle?

Um, no, that's okay. While you were suggesting it, I think I saw someone move...

Great! I'm starving!

Ugh, great.

Madam, please wait just a moment. In truth, these passengers have been waiting long-

Good, be insulted. :colbert:

I do apologise, madam. It's simply that these gentlemen arrived before you...
We will not be kept waiting, do you understand? Not a single second! Now, our of our way!
Madam!
Talk about pushy!
Er, I do apologise, sirs. There's a lovely observation deck in the last carriage of the train. Please feel free to relax there for a few minutes while I prepare a new table for you.
Maintaining one's composure while dealing with difficult customers is truly admirable. Come, Luke.

Okay, fine. We'll go check out this observation deck and then come back later.

Puzzle Remix

It took me forever to get good at these kinds of puzzles, not gonna lie.

1. When tracing out a path back to the nest, leave as few roads untouched as possible.
2. Assuming the top of the screen to be north, from the point labeled Start, drag your stylus south and then go west at your first chance. At the next intersection, head north to the top of the map. When you reach a T intersection at the top of the map, head west again. When you hit a wall, take the road leading south.

I'd still say I'm not amazingly great at them but I can manage them consistently now at least.

1. Think about how much longer one side of the strip was compared to the other one after the first fold.
2. Remember, you're being asked to answer in millimetres.

Version change! In the US version, this is called Pitchers and Poison.

1. Grab a few water glasses and try the puzzle out for yourself--minus the vinegar, of course. The principle that determines where the vinegar is should soon become obvious.

The actual puzzle itself is identical, save for replacing every copy of "poison" with "vinegar." Unlike most version changes, I cannot really figure out why this one's different in such a small, insignificant way.

1. The mustachioed Mr. O'Connor is B. Seeing as how both C and F are men, his wife has to be A.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 31, 2015

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Puzzle 017: Rather than a textual description, here's a diagram of what I believe is the longest possible route: http://lpix.org/2322819/037-solved.png

Puzzle 024: In each case, if you had folded it 0.5 cm further left or right, the fold would have been perfect. And logically, that 0.5 cm line would be halfway between the two fold lines. Therefore, the fold lines are 1 (one) cm apart.

Puzzle 023: If you put the jug at A, every odd-numbered move will place the vinegar in jug 1. If you put the jug at B, the odd-numbered moves will have the vinegar in jug 2. Since there are 55 moves and you want 2 to end up with the vinegar, put the pitcher down in spot B.

Puzzle 007: The only one with a mustache is B, so the O'Connors are A and B. The Joneses are sitting by the aisle, so they're across from each other in spots C and G. The Lambers are also opposite each other, so they're in D and H, so the Hadleys must be in the two remaining spots, E and F. Mrs. Hadley is in spot E.

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
That comic you're thinking about? It is not, in fact, lost to the annals of time. People have mirrored them in a few locations: would this be the one you're talking about?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, that's the one, thanks. Editted the update slightly to have that instead.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh how did I miss this? Sad that the other LP of this went kaput, but I'll be looking forward to this. One of the problems I had with Diabolical Box was that I didn't really like a lot of its puzzles too much.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alright, so on Monday my computer decided it was done being nice and finally up and died. Not really that big a deal, since what little progress was lost can easily be redone without much hassle.

Just means instead of updating today like I planned to do, it's gotta wait about a week later. Oh well! Consider it extra time or something.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dragonatrix posted:

Alright, so on Monday my computer decided it was done being nice and finally up and died.
The evil box is so bad it killed the computer.

I played through the entire main series in the past few months and this was easily the worst of the lot, thanks to repetitive puzzles or long puzzles without the undo option. I starts OK though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Freakin' LP curse.

It doesn't help with the puzzles that the absolutely brainbendingly impossible ones look exactly the same on the surface as the stone-simple ones.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Oh hey, someone's taking another stab at Diabolical Box! Hopefully this is the only time the LP curse hits you for this LP.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hopefully, yeah. If not, well, I've got room to back it up at this point so that's nice. I'm just glad it was early on so it wasn't too big of an issue. It could've been much worse after all.

Also that one week thing ended up being two instead; ah well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzle Remix

3. From the last point mentioned in Hint Two, head east at the first available point, and then take the first road you hit that heads south. If you've gotten this far, the rest should be a breeze.

Alright, so at a glance this looks right. Which means it's probably wrong because whenever I think it's right it isn't and vice versa. I overthink things a lot, you see.

Mostly, this one's pretty easy since a lot of the paths you don't take are either obviously wrong or imposisble to use by the time you'd have to think about them. Even I find it hard to mess up one as straightforward as this.

While I'm no fan of ants in my sugar, you have to admire their craftiness and work ethic!
Maybe it's because even the sugar on the Molentary Express is extra fancy?
Haha, I'm sure those ants are genuine sugar connoisseurs.

On the one hand, the question here was asking for the answer in MM. On the other hand, 1cm is 10mm and putting "1" instead of "10" would be being a jerk for no reason.

It's really just not that big of a deal for something this simple.

I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for, misters!

Let's be honest, this one is so mind-numbingly simple it barely warrants mentioning. Only thing I can really point out here is that these "select one of these buttons" kinda things make it a bit harder to tell which is being picked. So it's the greyed out, indented one. Just keep that in mind for later puzzles.

Moving ever so swiftly on...

Logic puzzles like this are cool and I like them a lot. I don't think circling your answer works well here though; this one should have their letters be clickable buttons I think.

It wouldn't be a big change, but it'd be a more player friendly one in my opinion.

Now, uh, it's been kind of a while. Where were we...?

Suspense

Molentary Express

Alright, so we're about to go looking for the observation deck. It's obviously beyond the door on the right, but first we have two orders of business to deal with.

First, trying to see what her justificiation for being kind of super rude is.

Especially ladies of a certain class, like - aha ha ha - me.

I'm not sure if "class" is the word she meant to use there.

Well, that wasn't really useful. That leaves going through the obviously wrong door to see what we can find!

Yes, it seems that the Molentary Express is a first-class operation, right down to the kitchen.

Those dirty clothes of yours probably violate all sorts of health regulations, you know.
Why, I'll have you know that there's nothing at all dirty about our clothes!
Say what you like, short stuff, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm running a kitchen here.
Did you stop to think about what could happen if yucky outside germs made it in here because of you?
I see your point. Terribly sorry for the intrusion and any worry we may have caused you, good sir.
Oh... All right. I'm sorry too, sir. Wait, what's that?

How arrogant of him to lecture other people about germs!
Oh boy, I guess the cat's out the bag now. Listen, I know it's against the rules to keep a pet in the kitchen. But... He's my only friend, see?

My, he certainly is...generously proportioned, isn't he? He's a hamster, I presume?

Well, hypocrite or not Macaroon knows the score at least.

When I first started working here, I needed someone to keep me company, so I bought him.
Thing is, I feed him all the table scraps we take back, which makes for a diet that's a bit, erm, rich.
He's really piled on the pounds, and to be honest I'm starting to wonder if it isn't bad for his health...
The poor thing!
I wonder... Could I ask you a favour? Would you mind looking after my friend for a little while? When he's here with me, I can't help but feed him.
But those scraps of foie gras and pastry soon add up.

Erm, I mean, what do you think, Professor? Can we please keep him for a little while?
Well, I've always said that helping rodents in need is among the duties of every true gentleman. We'd be happy to take custody of this hamster until he sheds some of that excess baggage.
Oh, thank you so much! It's a real weight off my shoulders. And off his waist, hopefully!

And so it begins. Like with the first game, there are some minigames we can get aspects of at the end of a puzzle. Also like with the first game, the first one is a gimme and the rest are worth grabbing for obvious rewards and sometimes extra benefits.

Oh, and one more thing. Since I won't be seeing the little fellow for a while, could you give him this apple? He loves them so.

Oh, I'm going to miss my furry friend! Please look after him!
Don't worry, he's in good hands!

And now we give him a name. It has a ten character limit if you're into that sort of thing. But for the sake of just getting past it for the time being...

This'll do quite nicely.

OK, little chap. From now on, anywhere I go, you'll go too.

Ha ha! It appears that your way with animals has earned you a new friend, Luke!
I think so too, Professor!

Alright, so ordinarily I'd go into the minigame right now, give a brief overview and move on but we can't do much with it right now. The apple is a starting point but it's nowhere near enough to bother with it just yet, so we'll grab these two hint coins and finally head through the obvious correct path.

This lets us grab another single hint coint (yes, just the one here) and talk to this lady next.

Thank you, but I don't think we need any snacks right now.
Of course you don't. And I put on my best smile for nothing. Most passengers eat in the dining car. It's so ritzy, I can't say I blame them.
With competition like that, it's hard to sell so much as a cup of tea. I'm sooo bored. I've got a while until my shift finishes, so help me pass a little time with this puzzle, would you?

Puzzle Remix

1. This puzzle isn't a brain buster, so take a step back for a moment. One way to solve puzzles like these is just to experiment by moving the pancakes around.
2. If you can get the biggest pancake over to the red plate, you're within inches of solving the puzzle.
3. Shift the smallest pancake to the red plate, then place the medium-sized pancake on the middle plate. Next, place the smallest pancake on top of the medium pancake. This will free up the red plate for the biggest pancake.

Oh good, one of these. These are super easy. Almost not even worth pointing out the obvious best solution but...

Molentary Express

There's, like, nothing there. I wish we could stop somewhere more exciting for a change. But I guess that's working a job for you. Sometimes you just have to deal with crippling boredom.

Poor Sally... I think we should just leave her to complain in peace, and just squeeze past her to get towards the back of the train.

Just these two hints coins here and nothing else so we'll move further on to the ba-- hm, that open door... Let's peek!

No hint coins here, but I am getting a weird sense of deja vu for some reason.

Indeed. Unless I'm mistaken, this must be the residence of you-know-who.
I have a feeling she'll be a big help to us again.

Oh, that's right. Her. I wouldn't use the word "again," but you can if you want. I'm pretty thorough, all things considered.

Wow, this is the best! This breeze feels great!
Indeed, and the scenery is simply breathtaking. Look, Luke, you can see a lake over there.

All this talk of pristine scenery reminds me of a puzzle I once heard. Why don't you try it?

Um, yeah sorry but I got nothing there.

Hmm... I think you've stumped me this time, Professor.
Cheer up, Luke. It happens to the best of us. You can try again later if you like.
Oh, I'm already cheery. How could I not be with scenery like this to look at?

I can't say I blame you, Luke. But that box led poor Andrew to his death. Come what may, I will solve this mystery.
Of course.

It... it's a train. You had a good grasp of the layout before ever even seeing it. Because: it is a train.

It's high time we began our investigation proper.
OK, Professor, let's get to it!

As a small aside before we do the obvious puzzle here, if we click above the railing at the back we can redo the puzzle we just skipped from the professor. It's not a one time thing, at least.

Some people have got no manners!
Luke, a true gentleman cleans up after himself - and others, should the need arise. What do you say we take care of this mess?

Puzzle Remix

022 Cleaning Up 1

1. Give this method of starting the puzzle a shot. Stack the four blue blocks on top of each other, with the first one at the bottom of the trash can. Next, find a way to get one of those four blocks into the little indentation in the upper-right corner. Once it's in place, you'll never have to move that block again!
2. Here's a helpful hint. If you're feeling stumped, place a blue block in the uppermost, lowermost, and rightmost areas of the puzzle. Then try moving the other blocks around in the remaining space.
3. Removing the blue block at the bottom of the trash can will be your second-to-last move.

Oh, joy. I hate sliding puzzles. And this is the first of the far-too-many this game will be oh so kind enough to provide.

And much like with the previous game, I will probably breeze right through every single one of them.

End

Molentary Express

Wonderful, isn't it? Keeping a place tidy really brightens it up.

Now we'll just make our way back through the train until we reach... the dining car, I guess? Who knows, maybe it's open now.

But en route...

The Owner

I couldn't agree more. And there's no better way to do it than on a train as fine as yours, Mr Beluga.
Hm? So you know my name, do you?
But of course. This train and its owner have quite a reputation in London. I've seen your face in the papers more than a few times.
Ho ho, is that so now? I'm sorry, er...my friend, but I can't say I know you as well as you seem to know me.
The name is Hershel Layton. I'm a professor of archaeology by trade, but a train enthusiast on the side.

Well, isn't that something. It certainly is a pleasure to meet you, Mr ...Layton, was it?
Oh my, just look at how late it's gotten. I really have to run. Do enjoy your time aboard.

Let's go and do just that then.

Great! It's finally time to eat!
My sentiments exactly.
Wow, look at all these choices! It's enough to make my head spin!
Oh, look over there. There's some sort of commotion going on.

I call it slop! Are you telling me you serve this to our customers?
I-I'll make up some more right away, sir!
Feh! Get that mess out of my sight this instant!
But of course. I-I'm very sorry to have displeased you.
And another thing! Look at these vases and that picture! Talk about tacky! Replace them immediately!
But, sir, that piece is a quintessential work by the world-renowned-

O-of course, sir. I'll start making the arrangements immediately.

That was, indeed, Mr Beluga. It's a shame that picture wasn't to his taste. I think it's marvellous. Speaking of pictures, Luke, I have a most intriguing puzzle for you.

Uh, Layton are... are you sure this is the right time for this?

Hmm. I suppose you have a point. Come to think of it, after that lovely meal I could use a break too. Let's head back to our room.

Puzzle Remix

1. You'll want to separate any two trees of the same type that are adjacent to each other. Why not start by putting some lines down in any place that fits that description?
2. Let's see if we can't find a way to deal with those trees in the lower-left part of the picture. The lines you drew after reading Hint One should give you a little direction to go on. The group of trees you section off down here should take on a sideways L shape.

1. There's no trick here. You might have an easier time if you mark the drawing by using the Memo function.

And as a brief reminder, if you really want to rename the hamster you can and it's a ten character limit. If not, then don't worry too much about it!

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 14, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hamtaro is fine. Although maybe Gotham could work, too.

Are you going to break the hamster game over your knee by getting top results way before you get all the toys?

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The hamster is so fat, he's a Porkster!

Puzzle solutions:

Puzzle 050: http://lpix.org/2337826/050-solved.png

Puzzle 010: The area in the lower left has three areas that all touch each other, so you need a minimum of 3 colors. The rest of the canvas could be colored with just two colors, since most of the intersections are four-way corners which don't spoil a "checkerboard-like" coloration. So although the theoretical maximum is 4 colors for any 2-D painting or map, you need a maximum of 3 colors for this particular map.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A tiny model house on a train car is our puzzle flashback? Sure, why not.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Are you going to break the hamster game over your knee by getting top results way before you get all the toys?

Probably, yeah, just because it's yet another thing in this game that really wasn't thought through very well.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzle Remix

Alright, not too many things to go over before we continue our train journey this time so let's get this done quickly.

3. The tree in the upper-left corner and the one to its immediate right belong to different groups. Additionally, the tree in the upper-right corner and the one directly below it belong to different groups as well. Use these hints as stepping stones to solve the rest of the puzzle.

Honestly, this is pretty simple so this answer should be the right one.

And this one I did, uh, get wrong once.

2. Why don't you take a closer look at the corners of the picture?
3. You can complete most of the drawing using only two colours, but did you notice there's one pesky area down in the lower-left corner that requires an additional colour?

I just went "oh yeah it's 2 obviously" and then whoops. It was not actually two at all.

Basically Layton helps make it clear that I am secretly a giant moron. Thanks, Layton.

After a puzzle like that and a filling meal, I feel a rest is in order. Let's retire to our room.

Molentary Express

So with that done, we now begin to make tracks towards our room. Except there's a couple distractions right here! Also something kind of important we forgot to do.

Oh, yes. The menu was excellent in both its variety and execution.
You honour us, sir. Professional waiters such as myself live for praise such as yours. Now then, shall I provide you with the bill?
Oh... I do apologise, sirs, but I seem to have forgotten your order. Could you enlighten me?

Um, uh, sorry but I kind of don't remember right now either. I'll get back to you on that though!

remember true gentlemen dine and dash unless explicitly caught

Anyway, it is very easy to miss but there IS a second puzzle in the dining car now.

It's tied to that glass on the left you see. Something you would probably just never thing to click on since it did nothing earlier.

I'll say! Look at this glass!
Yes, the etching is quite impressive. Speaking of glasses, have you heard this one, Luke?

I don't know. Probably?

Right so, anyway, we can't head back towards the observation deck right now. Our room isn't in that direction after all.

But the kitchen is open, so we should totally pay our compliments to the chef (who's not actually a chef). Oh and probably cheer him up too because Beluga was kind of a giant jerk!

You mean he always blows up at you like that?
Well, you know, me or someone else on the staff. The boss can be a very hard man to please.
That's awful. You and the others shouldn't have to put up with him bullying you like that.
Well, the boss does have a point. After all, he made this railway what it is today.
He always says that a first-class train deserves a first-class atmosphere.
I mean, even the plates we use in the dining car are custom-made. The craftsmanship is amazing.
Take a look at the fine detail on the bottom!

Um, that's okay. Can we do that later?

Normally I would totally rise to the bait and just do this here and now.

But we're still kind of full anyway so let's just go chill in our room.

Madam, please calm down so I can understand the situation.
Oh, Inspector Chelmey. I had no idea you were on board.
Well well! If it isn't Mr Layton! What are the chances, eh? Well, enough small talk. I have other matters to attend to. Namely, a missing child.

No, I don't believe I've seen any young boys.
My little boy wandered off and he hasn't returned yet! I'm simply at my wits' end worrying about him!
Gentlemen, I demand that you drop whatever it is you're doing and help me find my boy!
Hrmph, she's been going on like this from the moment I walked in.

We'll have the best chance of recovering your son if we start searching immediately.
Are you still here? If you have time to stand around talking, hurry up and bring my boy back!
It seems the only clues we have to go on are this shoe that the tyke left behind and his name, Tom.
I've tried to squeeze more details out of the woman, but it's useless. She just keeps demanding I search the place.

Wait, hang on what? That looks way too small.

Yes, I find it quite curious myself, Luke. Very puzzling indeed.
I didn't think children with feet that size could even walk!
Indeed...

Alright, so let's start our little investigation into this matter shall we?

I'm sure Chelmey will have something useful for us. Probably. Hopefully.

...Kinda doubt it but you never know!

During the investigation, we stumbled upon the late doctor's diary. Its pages detail the doctor's final days, which led me to this train.
But since that investigation is none of your business, that's all I can tell you, Mr Layton.
Besides, finding that lost child is my top priority right now.
With only a shoe and a name to go on, though, it's going to be an uphill struggle to find him.
Luke and I would be glad to offer our assistance in the matter.
Oh, I'm sure you would. I've heard about you, Layton.

If you want in on my case, why not show me your famous powers of deduction by solving this puzzle?

Neither the time nor the place, Chelmey. No need for these petty squabbles.

Man, forget you Chelmey. You just... stand here and look pretty I guess? Meanwhile, we'll go do your job for you. Jerk.

So, we just came from the dining car and passed no children on the way here so we'll keep heading towards the front of the train for the time being.

En route, we can find a new woman to talk to!

No, can't say that I have. There's no way I'd forget seeing a boy with only one shoe!
I see. Well, thank you very-
Oh, but while we're on the topic of shoes, maybe you could help me with a little predicament of my own.

I would love to, but alas we have other things to be doing right now.

Alright, so, we're actually right outside our room right now. Needless to say, there are no small boys currently in there.

But we haven't exactly gone down towards the front of the train from here yet, have we? Mayhap the child is over there.

What's the matter, mister?
Wha-? Oh, hey... OK, so I snuck into my uncle's room and borrowed his camera, right? Think is, then I dropped it.

This smells like a fetch quest. Fortunately, we're not in that kind of game so we should be okay!

That's quite the predicament.
Yeah, and if word gets about this wrecked camera, I'm gonna catch major flak from the bossman. Whoa, brain flash incoming!
Dig this. I'm going to give you this busted hunk of junk. You do with it what you want, just get rid of the thing, will ya?
OK, catch you on the flipside.

Instead, we are in the kind of game where we could gather the pieces and then put the camera back together. Sounds sort of similar to something we've done before thinking about it.

We'll deal with this later as well. For now, since we've got this we should be able to get into the next carriage.

Hold it right there, man!

Now, I know you'd like to sneak a peek, but the whole carriage's been booked, so that's a no-go.
The people who reserve rooms in this carriage must be super-rich mega tycoons!
Indeed. I wonder what it must be like to have that much space to yourself on a train of this calibre.
Well, for now I suppose you'll just have to keep wondering, eh, Professor? Ha ha ha ha!
Yes, quite.

Welp, never mind then. But I did see something on the door so maybe we can just look at that instead?

What if we just took a reeeeally quick peek?
No can do, little guy. You need a ticket to do that. I'll tell you what.
Your pal Sammy Thunder has a puzzle that'll take your mind off that door. Check it.

Sorry, Sam, I'm really not interested in your puzzle right now.

Regardless, I think we can now safely guess that Tom's not past here. Which means we need to start a systematic sweep of every single room back towards the observation deck.

Room-after-room reveals nothing of interest, until...

It's not immediately obvious but this open door immediately past the dining car is a room we haven't been in yet!

I immediately regret this. Let's just grab those coins and check out that mess on the floor.

Food scraps, if I'm not mistaken.
Do you suppose Tom wandered into the kitchen to grab something to eat?
Well, it is possible, though if that's the case, the child certainly is lacking in the manners department.

Because, y'know, they are a child even younger than Luke. This should not come as a surprise.

Thankfully for us, Babette is currently fast asleep but even in her sleeptalking she gives us nothing useful.

At least her vase has a puzzle for us? Sure, why not.

Lovely decorations really do wonders for a room, don't they? Doubly so in the case of flowers.
Tell me, Luke, what do you think of flowers like these?

I think we can deal with this later, Professor.

Right, so, anyway the point here is that Tom went to the kitchen at some point. Probably before he went missing considering the location of the scraps and that Babette didn't mention this at all.

Though she's useless so that means nothing.

Still, a lead is a lead so let's go check it out!

Maybe the cap belongs to Tom.
We certainly shouldn't rule out that possibility.
Oh, hey, since we're on the subject of caps, have you ever heard this one, Professor?

Once again, this remains not the best time for this Luke!

I'll give that one some thought. For now, we'd better return to searching for that lost little boy.
Good idea. Let's get back to that.

Hmm... Good question.

So, hat in hand (don't question it) we can continue our search some more. There are a scant few rooms left to check further towards the back after all!

Puzzle Remix

There weren't too many puzzles last time, no. There's plenty this go around though!

1. Start by adding up the cost of the entire meal.
2. Luke's meal cost twice as much as the professor's. That means the ratio of Luke's cost compared to the professor's cost must be 2:1.

1. "This design is preposterous!" The owner wasn't angry because the design in question was hard to assemble. He was upset because one design was physically impossible to replicate in real life.
2. A and C could probably be pulled off with steady hands and a lot of patience.

1. You don't need to do any kind of special calculation here. In fact, all you need is a little intuition.
2. How would things look if you rotated the smaller triangle?

1. Had the shoe clerk not gone next door to get change, he might never have realized he lost money.
2. In the end, the shoe clerk essentially passed back the 50 pounds he got from the shopkeeper next door, so he neither lost nor gained money from these interactions.

1. Working backward from the goal in your head is a great tactic that can help you find the answer.
2. The solution requires that you take exactly 19 steps from the start point to the goal.
3. From the start point, begin your walk by taking a step to the right.

1. Since the puzzle tells you that no one got on the train during the ride, it's safe to say that the number of passengers on the train never increased.

1. The black-and-white color scheme of the altered image makes this puzzle a lot more challenging, doesn't it? However, this change to the image may ends up helping you more than you know. Remember, in the altered image, dark spots are now bright, and vice versa.

1. The puzzle says that some of the children received red balloons. From that, you can infer that there were no fewer than four children in red hats.
2. The puzzle says some of the kids received a red balloon. By definition, therefore, not all kids received a red balloon.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yay, this is back!

Stacked Glasses: The answer is D, since glasses are three-dimensional objects and they couldn't intersect like that at the bottom.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do question that posh lady's dress sense.

Luke's Big Dinner: The meal in total cost 105 zenny, of which the Prof paid 35 and Luke 70. The only items that add up to 35 are the three in the upper-left, costing 8, 13, and 14, so Luke ate everything else. Or tried to, at least.

On Your Plate: Spin that little china watermark in its circle and you've got a Sierpinski triangle, made up of 4 smaller ones of equivalent size. So the big triangle is 4 times the size of the little one.

The Shoe Shop Thief: The shop is out 50 pounds - 30 for the pair of shoes, and 20 for the other shop's change that the lady walked off with.

The Train Journey: Six people got on, and one got off at each stop.

Crazy Daisies: It's actually A, which is right there. B's got an extra spot and C's flower centers are the wrong color.

Red Caps: There had to be at least 4 red caps or nobody would get a red balloon. But if there were more than 4, everyone wearing a red cap would see them and everybody would get a red balloon. So exactly 6 kids got red balloons.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 2, 2016

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Glazius posted:

I do question that posh lady's dress sense.

Could you spoiler-text your answers? I wanted to solve the puzzles, but by the time I'd scrolled down to click on Reply, I saw your answers and now I can't solve the puzzles unspoiled.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hey, so, uh, thread's moving slow and we're a long way from the next page still. Rather than just expect that to magically fix itself I'll put the next update(s?) on the testposter for ease of viewing. Shouldn't have an impact on anything other than not destroying browsers since the next couple updates are probably both on the larger side.

(it's a link of course)

Well, I know that this one is so there's that.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

21 Pass It On: 3 minutes, as each time the message is passed all senders and receivers can just send again to a different person.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
25 - Only the lion and the rabbit can make it to the exit, and I don't care for the rabbit's odds on a narrow path with a hungry lion.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, that inspector is pretty dang noir, isn't he?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Hooray, the layton LP is back! I don't have the time to redo my prior riddle responses, but I'll be eagerly following along!

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

025: I remember this one from last time, but I'll solve it again for fun. Only two animals have a path to the exit: the lion and the rabbit. However, the question asks which animals will make it "safely out of the zoo", and only the lion qualifies. The rabbit will technically make it out of the zoo, but inside the lion's belly, which doesn't count as "safely".

021: Three minutes. Minute 1: Person A tells the message to person B. Now two people know the message. Minute 2: A tells it to C, B tells it to D. Mine 3: A through D tell it to E through H respectively, and now all eight people know the message.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I swear I can update faster than this sporadic poor excuse for a schedule! I just... haven't been good at that lately. :sweatdrop:

(still on the test-poster for obvious reasons)

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the pace a bit but I make no promises.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

W05 (dice): 1. The top face of that die needs to be a 4 to match the one from the die on top of it, and its right face (from our perspective) needs to be a 5 to match the one to its right. This alone wouldn't be enough to narrow it between 1 and 6 (2 and 3 are impossible because they need to match the 5 and 4 on the other sides), but the die on the top right gives us the additional information needed to definitively call the 50/50.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
12 (Clouds and Sky) The picture is 6 sky : 4 clouds. Creating a 10-by-10 grid reveals 2 panels of solid sky and 4 pairs of sky/cloud panels that are inversions of each other, adding up to 1 full panel of cloud and sky apiece.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

And at a semi-reasonable timeframe for once, here's another update.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The bird puzzle: B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
27 - A dramatic farewell: The lady saying goodbye has her scarf billowing in the breeze--but nothing else in the painting suggests any kind of wind.

29 - The Warped Wheel: The hole is near the top and the shape of the "wheel" means it'll slip slightly when the end with the hole touches the ground, so I'm going to guess "A".

30 - Which Arrow?: Use a straightedge and it's trivial to see that the correct arrow is in fact "B".

31 - The Trapped Bird: Tracing paths A and C result in dead ends, so process of elimination suggests the true path is "B".

dotchan fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 6, 2016

• Locked thread