Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tax Refund posted:

059: This one actually stumped me during the first thread.

Oh, huh. I kinda figured we'd already flown way past wherever Accursed Walrus' thread died. For some reason, I thought that petered out somewhere in Dropstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh, huh. I kinda figured we'd already flown way past wherever Accursed Walrus' thread died. For some reason, I thought that petered out somewhere in Dropstone.

Nope. We were at least this far, maybe a little further. I'm not sure, because I lost track of the thread around this part.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

It stopped a couple of updates into Folsense. A little farther than we are now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So who was suppose to be in that car for the ride to Folsense?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzles Remix

Alright, so I'll try to not complain too much about it this time. We've been through that already; suffice to say this is woefully simple and I can write up an explanation of how it's "supposed" to be done if need be. Instead, I just looked at it for a few seconds, got it and moved on.

Anyway, what we have left here is just the DLC puzzles so we'll get through these quickly.

Okay, now I'm going to admit outright that I do not get this one. Möbius strips are kind of confusing in general to me, really.

This one, on the other hand, is just a slight twist on a couple puzzles from the first game. Can you draw a pattern here with one single unbroken line? Yes? Probably, because everyone else knows the easy way to do it already.

Suspense

Folsense :siren: :siren:

I find the place unsettling too, but we mustn't let that keep us from our investigation.
Who knows what kind of valuable information we might find here about the Elysian Box?

Y'know, as much fun as this probably is going to be, let's head back to the train for a moment.

A Disquieting Atmosphere

Then it seems we have no choice but to remain in town.
All the more reason to proceed with our investigation of the area.
I suppose so. OK, let's keep looking.

So, yeah, we're stuck in Folsense and can't even reboard the train for anything we missed. Despite the doors being open. Sure, whatever.

Folsense

The good news is that we have so many new hint coins to get! Puzzles to solve! Characters from Dropstone to talk to!

....wait hang on what?!

Hey, you're...
The postman, yep. I've got post to deliver here, but it's always dark when I come, so it takes forever.
No wonder the people here always seem so on edge.

Wow, you deliver letters all the way out here?
I certainly do, and I've a schedule to keep while doing it. So on that note, I'll be off. See you around!

But how can he cover Dropstone and Folsense every single day?
The two towns are so far apart, it would be simply impossible!
You may think so, Luke, but our world is full of inexplicable phenomena. This is but one of many.
I suppose so...

Nothing else to do here, so let's head further on in...

Are you all right there, Flora? You don't look well.
I'm not sure. I just started feeling sick all of a sudden.
You're as white as a sheet! We'll find a place for you to rest straight away.

Alright, so as bad as this looks it kind of isn't. There's just the one puzzle here; all three points (and I think there's a fourth on the building half-offscreen on the left but I don't remember) gives the exact same puzzle.

Despite the lack of advertising, I'd say one of those buildings over there is a hotel.

And, well, he is right of course because he is Layton.

History

A little bit... I think that with some rest, I'll be back to my old self.
Flora, Luke and I are going back out to learn more about this town. Why don't you stay here for a while and rest?
Yes, take it easy for a while, Flora. We'll be back before long.
Thanks, Luke. Be careful out there. You too, Professor.

I wouldn't fret too much, Luke. She may just be exhausted from our long journey.
I think our best course of action is to gather whatever information we can and hurry back to the hotel.
After all, a gentleman never keeps a lady waiting.

Sounds like a plan to me; we'll just get as much done as we can as quick as we can and go from there.

Not much in the hotel's main lobby right now. That guy doesn't have much to talk about, so we'll ignore him and do the sensible thing here.

Head right back upstairs to collect more hint coins, naturally. Having just left Flora, she doesn't have much to talk about right now either.

But we do have a puzzle in the middle of the room at least.

And it smells so nice!
While we're on the subject of flowers, tell me, Luke, have you ever heard this puzzle?

Yes, Professor, I have.

But this is also kind of true. well no it isnt

Anyway, nothing else here so we'll head on out and begin our search in Folsense in earnest.

Folsense

The Elysian Box and the facts we need to solve the mystery of his death are close by. I'm sure of it.
Do you think whoever stole the Elysian Box might be hiding here as well?
It's still too early to tell.

For now, our best course of action is to search for anything connected to the Elysian Box.
Let's get to it then! Lead the way, Professor.

Okay, so hear me out here. The way ahead leads us back to the previous square for a moment.

Entirely so we can speak to this man. An important man, despite not having a puzzle.

Want to get stinking rich? In Folsense, making a huge fortune is child's play!
Let me guess, you two came here to get your hands on some of that Herzen money. Am I right?
What Herzen money?

Here's the story.

There was so much gold, you couldn't spend it in a lifetime!
Then, not too long ago, the old man croaked, and now his money sits abandoned in his castle.
How's that for an interesting story?

You may also have heard it referred to as Pandora's Box.
Pandora's Box? Isn't that a novel? I can't really help you, to be honest.

Well, yes. Several. Not the point here though; the point is that we got some more info out of this and can move on.

Deeper into the city we go, beyond the hotel and other assorted building...

You are to scour every inch of this place and bring it back to me as soon as you find it, OK?
Aw, come on, Unko! Do you really think it's everything people say it is?
I dunno... It kind of sounds like a load of baloney to me.

You're in no position to be lecturing me on this subject. Now, get out there and start looking!
OK, OK... No need to blow a gasket. I'm going!

It would appear that they, too, are out on the hunt for something.
Look, Professor! What on earth could that be?

Yikes! Take a butcher's at this crazy symbol on the cover!
Let's have a look. The symbol seems to be in the shape of a goat.
Well, whatever it is, it gives me the heebie-jeebies. But I do wonder what's written inside.

Say, Professor, maybe somebody in that antique shop over there can tell us something about it?
Excellent idea, Luke. Let's begin our investigation there.

This'll be in the second post to peruse at your own leisure, of course.

This too.

There's not really much outside right now, so we'll just grab these hint coins and head into the building on the left.

Ch-Chelmey? What are you doing here?!

Hmph! Took the words right out of my mouth, laddie. Wasn't expecting to see you two in a place like this.
After some fieldwork in Dropstone, I was able to deduce that this town and the Elysian Box are linked.
Dr Schrader had stockpiled quite the stack of research on the Elysian Box.
The criminal I'm in pursuit of more likely than not killed the doctor to get his hands on the box.

Wow, that's a solid bit of reasoning there! I didn't think Inspector Chelmey was that sharp.
Eh? Did you say something, lad?
Um, no, sir. Not a word.
Good, because I've got no time for idle chit-chat. Come along Barton, we're leaving.

That doesn't really explain how Chelmey got here, but I'm honestly kind of okay with that. It does seem unlikely, but I can imagine him somehow being on the Deluxe Carriage at the right time as well.

Also now that he's left, we can see and talk to this fellow.

I apologise, but we're not here to shop today.
There are a few things we'd like to ask you about, however. Firstly, there's this book we've found.
We were also wondering if you'd ever heard of an antique known as the Elysian Box?

The third?
Those two detectives you saw were just asking about it, and half an hour ago, there was a young lady.
She seemed interested in knowing whether anyone had been searching around town for the box.
Hmm... Can you describe this young lady?

Ah, and the officers, well, they said they were here on an official police investigation.
I'll tell you what I've told everyone today. I wish I could help, but this box you're after is news to me.
One of my customers, I forget who, mentioned something about the box having quite a history behind it.

Where might we find this museum?
Just look for the big building in the middle of town, on the north side.
The museum houses a wealth of documents celebrating the history of our town.

Oh, before you run off, did you mention that you'd also found a book?
Yes, that's right. Please feel free to take a look at it.

Would you happen to know anything about this symbol on the book's cover?

I must confess what drew my eye to the book was its locks. Old gadgets of this sort always fascinate me.

As a matter of fact, here, why don't we see if this one does the trick?
Think of it as my way of thanking you both for showing me something interesting.
Many thanks, my good man.

Naturally, despite being openable by "any old key," we can only use specific keys designed to open those nifty locks. Also they disintegrate upon use, because any keys works in any lock but only once. A very dungeon crawlery key design.

It certainly would have been nice, but we'll have to put the book aside for now.
It's time to pay a visit to the Herzen Museum.

Alright, let's go to the Herzen Museum!

...But as soon as we get outside?

Oh, but I just-
And before you say anything, I don't care who your old man is. No one's above the law!
In my eyes, anyone out chasing the Elysian Box moves to the top of my list of suspects!
No, you've got it all wrong...
Um, sir? If you wouldn't mind?
What is it, Barton? Can't you see I'm in the middle of something here?
Um, yes, about that, sir.

If the young lady was our culprit, she'd have no need to ask around about the box, in my opinion, sir.
Oh, is that so now, Barton? Hmph! I don't recall ever asking for your analysis of the situation!
T-terribly sorry, sir! Please forgive my momentary lapse in judgment! I'll just be going now.
Barton! Get back here this instant, you pilchard!

It is kind of nice seeing Barton finally say more than one line right before getting dragged off-stage. Also pointing out obvious errors with Chelmey's logic. Good job, Barton.

Whew...

What was her name? Katie? No, that's not it...
I believe you're thinking of Mr Anderson's daughter, Katia.
Yes, that's the one. I wonder what she's doing here.
Hmm...

Okay, NOW we're going to go visit the Herzen Museum for real.

Puzzles Remix

1. Just study the four buildings carefully, and the answer will present itself.
2. Say, upon second glance, one of these buildings has the word "hotel" written on it. Do you see it?

1. Start by placing a rose in the lower-left corner of the room, then just take it from there.
2. If you know where one rose goes, placing the rest shouldn't prove to be too much of a challenge. Place your other roses so that their scent doesn't overlap with the rose in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
3. In total, you need to place seven roses to finish this puzzle.

Two puzzles isn't many and having a couple DLC puzzles consistently is probably better than dumping them all at the end anyway.

1. This puzzle may seem like a pain to solve, but if you follow the example given and visualize each of the steps, it's really not all that hard. Try sketching out each flip of the square using the Memo function.

1. Can you see any ones or sixes?

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 8, 2016

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
062: http://lpix.org/2443063/062-solved.png

W15: You're essentially flipping the square one 90° turn to the left each time, which is disguised by the sides of the polygon being angled. Since you'll make five left rotations, that's the equivalent of one left rotation, and you'll end up with the arrow pointing left, as in B.

W16: I'm having a very hard time visualizing this one. I'll solve it later.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

61: The hotel is the one that says HOTEL on it (C).

W16: I saw this almost right away, but it's hard to put in words clearly: Die 1 (2-3 showing) and Die 4 (3-2) are just flipped from each other, so that the face connecting to Die 4 is the same as the one connecting 1 & 2. That's also the face on the left of Die 2 (4-5), and the face on Die 2's right is what we need to connect to. Since C is Die 2 flipped over, it will match Die 4 and Die 2 and thus is correct. Another way of looking at it: When solved, Dice 3 & 4 are what you get if you spin Dice 1 & 2 around and over together.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 1, 2016

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

61: The hotel is building C - it has HOTEL in the windows and doors.

W15: Since you're just rotating it 90 degrees, it'll be facing up after four rotations. Then there's one more, so the arrow will be pointing left, just like B

W16: It's a weird one. The inner numbers have to be 1 and 6 (which eliminates B and D). Because Die A is equivalent to Die 2 rotated a few times, we can eliminate that one as well. That leaves Die C to be the missing one.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzles Remix

3. A close inspection of the scene reveals that one building has letters of the alphabet hidden in its doorways and windowpanes.

You might've noticed before, but this is one that only submits the solution when it's correct. Makes it impossible to not get the full amount of Picarats.

History

Nothing creates a feeling of tranquility in a room quite like a fresh bouquet.
I'll say! Those flowers in the Molentary Express's deluxe rooms really relaxed me.

Hmm... Of course! It's so obvious I can't imagine why I didn't think of it until now.
What do you mean, Professor?
Luke, think back to when that train carriage switched tracks. Can you remember anything?
Well... Honestly, I don't remember much. I dozed off during all that, so everything's a bit foggy.
Of course it is. The sudden sleepiness we experienced was no coincidence.
Furthermore, I don't believe it was mere chance that we awoke upon our arrival in Folsense...

What plan would that be?
Were I to venture a guess, I'd say Sammy's roses contained some kind of extra ingredient...
Which sent everyone to sleep so that one of the carriages could switch tracks!
Precisely, my boy. I'll wager that only those riding in the deluxe carriage were taken away to Folsense.

It's pretty strange that this random puzzle gives something that seems like it'd come up in an important plot scene, huh? Weird.

Puzzles Remix

W17 Mouse on the Loose!

1. There's lots of open space in this puzzle, so you'd think it'd be easy to shift thinks around. But clearing a path can be surprising difficult. To beat this one, you'll need to use the indentations on some blocks effectively. Oh, and try to get that straight orange block above the U-shaped blue one at the top of the screen.

In practice this one seems sort of alright, but that's only when you know what you're doing. This one is a lot harder than it looks, but maybe I'm just bad at these.

Suspense

Folsense

Okay, so we're immediately due north of the antique's store area now. But... someone oddly familiar is already here.

Hey, I know you!
And I know fate, 'cause that's what brought you, me and that swanky tea set of yours together.
Now that we're all reunited, I say we celebrate with a cup of tea. Brew me something nice, would ya?
You want us to make tea for you?

It's so easy to make, even a baby could do it. A baby with a magic tea set, that is.
Anyhoo, all you need is some Oasis Leaf, a little Brisk Berry and a sprinkle of Citronia Seed.

This is our third tea serving, but the first - and last - that is mandatory. As a result, it's the easiest one to make and he outright tells you how to make it just to be safe.

Keh heh heh. Not a bad cup of tea you make, shorty.
Of course, you couldn't have pulled it off without my expert direction, so don't get cocky.
You know, this town is filled with thirsty folks.
You've got the tea set, so the way I see it, it's your responsibility to help people!

Gosh, Professor, what do you think? How much good can we really do with just a cup of tea?
Oh, a fair bit, Luke. A gentleman never underestimates the power of a hot cup of tea.
Hmm, well, when you put it like that I suppose it couldn't hurt to spread some happiness.

After that, Stachenscarfen wanders off and is replaced by this man here. He has a puzzle for us, naturally.

Why don't you rest a while with this puzzle I've got here?

As nice as it sounds, though, I'm really not feeling up for this right now.

Instead, we're just going to move back and forth between this screen and the promenade from before. After a while...

A few sweatdrops appear over Derby's head. This is a visual indicator for us that let us know something important.

You certainly are. How did you work that out?
Du-ur! 'Cause I am too. Plus, I've got a trick for working out who's local and who's not.
Wow, that sounds handy! Can you teach me how to do it too?
Dur... sure, why not. But not for free! Tell ya what, I've been feeling a bit down lately.

Well, I imagine we might be able to whip up a classic cup of tea that will excite your tastebuds.
Ooh, that sounds durlicious. I haven't had tea in...ur...um... a very long time... Ages!

So, Stachenscarfen aside, none of the remaining people to serve tell us outright what they want. It generally mentions something in the description that you can see on the bottom screen, so if you can't figure it out immediately then that helps a fair bit.

A hur hur, now that's the stuff. I tell you, the classics really are the best. That goes for tea, too.
We've held up our end of the deal, so spill the beans. How do you tell outsiders from locals in this town?
Oh, it's a piece of, urrr, pudding. Just get up real close...and give 'em a sniff.

What he neglects to add is that, yes, you can tell people from out-of-town town by the scent of roses... but you can also tell the taste of a liar by licking their sweat.

I see...

Aside from heading back to the promenade, there's two places we can go from here. Neither is particularly obvious so I'll include the direction arrows for once here. We'll go left first.

Oh, hello there. You're the fellow who's always with Inspector Chelmey, yes?
The name's Barton, sir. I am a constable serving under Inspector Chelmey, sir!
I feel obliged to let you know you may want to reconsider going up this way with the boy.
Why, what's up ahead?

I don't think he'll budge on this, Luke. We'll have to find another path leading up that way.

Well, that's unfortunate but we do need to go north so a detour it is then.

Which means that we're going this way instead.

No need for alarm, Luke, he's likely just gathering information about Dr Schrader's case.
It seems that he's finally worked out that the key to solving it lies here in Folsense.
Heh heh heh. Maybe the inspector's almost got a grip of the situation for once.

No doubt about it?
Yep, the man in the photograph is the one. I'd remember that face anywhere.
Hmph, well, that seals the deal. Just as I suspected. My instincts are never wrong!
Come along now, Barton! We're moving on!
Hmm? Oh yes, sir. Right behind you, sir!

So, this doorman here does have more than just a random puzzle for us but right now? He just has a random puzzle for us.

Now, if you'd be so kind as to hand me your hat?
Very well. You're saying that we can enter if I give you this hat?

Let's be realistic; Layton is not handing over his hat.

Yeah, so, instead we'll head into the other building here. The one with a giant camera over the front door. That one.

But if you look closely, you can see that the pictures aren't quite in chronological order.
Do you think you can work out the order in which the pictures should be displayed?

Maybe but it's super dimly lit in here so not right now?

Instead, we'll just look around here I guess.

If we don't solve that puzzle from before, talking to this guy DOES let us retry for the record. We'll skip past that though and instead...

I'm flattered, but really, I take no special measures in that regard.

Nothing else in here, though, so we'll just leave and head up those stairs outside.

There's a path behind that... dog. What is with this game and dogs?

He doesn't appear to be in a very good mood, Luke.
Let me see if I can find out what the problem is.

Growrf! Growrf GROOOWRF!
Aaaaahhhh!
Good heavens! Luke, are you hurt?

Indeed. Let's find another way through town. Passing through here seems rather difficult.

Only way that resembles forward progress here is to the left, so let's take a looksee.

That's a big ol' gate and either this is the museum or it's past that dog. Given the directions we were given, it could go either way but I'm inclined to think it's this one.

Layton is too, so I gotta be right.

The gate's shut tight. It must be closed.
I was hoping we'd find some useful information inside, but there's no sense in standing around waiting.

Puzzles Remix

1. Don't bother thinking about pi. You don't need it to solve this one!
2. If you draw straight lines between the four centre points of each of the flower beds, it makes a square!

1. The shape is identical to the example hat, so while you many find that some shapes resemble the hat in question, outlining one of these won't count as a valid solution. Study the points where the lines of several shapes cross each other to find the exact match to the sample hat.
2. The hat hidden in the pattern has been turned on its side.

Augh, I hate these types of puzzles. Almost more than even sliding puzzles. Almost.

1. Start by scanning all four pictures for differences between them. For example, maybe the buildings are different in one or two of the photos...

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

089: Divide the space between the beds into four by drawing two diagonal lines through it. Now each of those four sections forms a "cap" that you can stick onto a quarter of the circle at the bottom, and you end up with a diamond shape (a square rotated 45 degrees). The circle's radius forms a line between the center of the square and the center of one side, so each side of that square is 20 meters. Therefore, the area colored red is 400 square meters.

068: I remember this one from before, so I'm going to recuse myself from answering it.

072: A is probably last, since the neon light in the sign burned out. B is next-to-last since the window is broken, and it was whole in C and D. (In A, it was covered over with paper as a temporary repair measure, so A came after B). In C the lamp is off and in D the lamp is on; it remains on through A and B, so it's likely that C came first. Then the lamp was turned on in the evening, producing D, B and A. So in order: C, D, B, A.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does... does someone need to change that dog's diaper?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Glazius posted:

Does... does someone need to change that dog's diaper?

Block pushing puzzle.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzles Remix

3. From the points where the two flower beds touch, draw two diagonal lines that cur through the centre of the diagram and end where the other flower beds touch. These two lines divide that middle space between all four flower beds into four neat sections. What can you learn from those four sections?

Not gonna lie; for, uh, every single math puzzle ever I always manage to overthink it greatly. I just can't not make everything more complicated than it is I guess.

Folsense

You're just one of those people who does everything, hur? I get tired just thinkin' about it.

Unlike the last one of these we got, this one is actually useful right away. How nice!

One Oasis Leaf and two Peppercherries gets us the very... spicy... Chery Boost tea. Sure, okay.

But now we can also take that Dream Fluff before, add it to one Peppercherry and top it with some Brisk Berry to make the milder Dream Spice. Which, yes, is less spicy despite having "spice" in its name.

This is important because it means we can do two things with Felix. There's his puzzle, but there's also his tea!

What seems to be ailing you?
Every day I stand out here for hours and hours. All that standing makes my knees creak like crazy.
I should really start scheduling a mid-shift break or something.
Being a doorman does sound like an exhausting job.
Perhaps a cup of tea would help restore your spirits? I'd be happy to brew you some.
OK, but I should warn you, working at a five-star restaurant has made me a fussy drinker.
But if you can brew up something that tastes mild with a hint of spice, I'll be a happy camper.

Conveniently, this is one of the two that we just made. It's the only one of the two we just made that's getting any use in the near future, even!

I know good tea when I taste it. This tea, my friend, is simply out of this world!
Working as a doorman in the best restaurant in town, I have to be on the ball 100 percent of the time.
I mean, back in the day, even the duke's son and his fiancée used to come here.
When you've got customers like that, service has to be perfect from the second they turn up.
Wow, Folsense's elite, eh?
That's right, little man.
Come to think of it, I haven't seen those two for a while now. I really hope they visit us again some time.

Fascinating, thank you. Now, uh, where were we again...? Ah, right.

Puzzles Remix

3. Focus your search on the lower-left section of the picture.

This one I could kind of see, but it's awful to try and do. Thankfully, you do not need to be particularly precise with the solution.

Even more useful is the post-completion image gives a better idea of its actual location. While I put in the effort to get things to look acceptable for the writing bits, here I just couldn't get it to work.

Huh?
Um, Professor, I don't think that's quite what he meant.
Be that as it may, I'm not taking this hat off. Let's go, Luke.
But I was really looking forward to dropping in for a snack!
It takes a very special occasion for this hat to come off. That's all I have to say on the matter.
I think this is too deep for me...

I gotta admit, I do sort of want to see beneath that hat. Maybe sometime in the future we'll get a peek...

But for now, we'll just take a second house for Hamtaro. We're actually very close to doing more exercises, for that matter. There's a lot more toys to go but we only need one more.

2. Photo C is the only one where the stairs aren't illuminated, because there's no visible streetlight. Both photos C and D are missing the big, orange building in the background. By contrast, the building and streetlight are visible in photos A and B.
3. The door to the photo studio is the same colour in all pictures except A. Also, in B, one of the restaurant's windows is broken. However, the window is patched up in A, so A must have been taken after B.

History

To be honest, I've meant to rearrange them for a while now, but never got around to it.
It was no trouble at all.
I did notice one thing though. Considering their age, these are in remarkably good condition.
Tell me, what's your secret to keeping the photographs so vibrant?
Ha ha, either you flatter me or your eyes are playing tricks on you.
I take no special measures in preserving my photographs.

Well, perhaps the preservation methods here are a trade secret.

It's just so perfectly fitting that we get the final camera piece from the photography studio.

A Moment of Rest

Yes, final. Which means that it is time to make real progress on these minigames at last!

And it comes in two flavours to choose between. Well, kind of.

Fixing The Camera

Right at the end there, my brain just... shut down, I guess. You can even see the marker for where that penultimate piece goes! I give no excuses. I have no excuses. It is just... how did I even do that?

End

So, yeah, here's the twist.

Our reward for finishing this minigame is a different minigame. You may have been expecting some post-game puzzles, because that's what you got for this stuff in the first game. This game does not play by those silly sensible rules. No, you want the postgame content you've gotta earn it. Jump through these hoops!

In all seriousness though, this is kind of annoying because it screams padding. They could've had it do what it does now AND give you the post-game puzzles at this moment without gating it further. That'd be sensible though, and this game doesn't do sensible. You may have deduced that from a significant portion of the first half being glorified padding.

Of course, it's entirely possible this is something that only bugs me. Maybe you think getting two things out of this would be weird and silly. I mean, it's not like the first game had a mechanical device that was finished first, gave you some postgame puzzles and also had a main game function...

Suspense

Anyway, I'll stop harping on about this ultimately minor detail. For now.

Folsense

We'll start things off by going immediately to the left of the museum gate. That brings us here, which puts us not too far north of where Barton blocked us from going before. Hmm...

First though! We gotta talk to this woman. It's double-important.

Huh? See what?

Drat. I must have missed it.
That's the twelfth time today he's flown by. This must be the best spot for ghost watching.
I've been here for hours! It's all just so fascinating! I'm utterly captivated!
I'm sure it's all very exciting, but would you care to take a break and have a cup of tea?
That sounds great! I screech like a banshee every time I spot a ghost, and boy, is my throat sore!
But if I'm going to take a tea break, let's make it a mysterious one. WooooOOOoooo!
Ahem... That means I'd like something sweet and kind of unusual.

Ayup. Can't say you're surprised by this, can you?

Hey, there really is something a little mysterious about the way this tea tastes. Good job!
I'm glad you liked it.
Oh, yeah, it was great.
Let me thank you by telling you where all the spookiest ghosts in town hang out.
Folsense has got loads of great ghost-watching spots!
Thanks for the offer, but I'm scared enough as it is!

More important is that she has our first puzzle of the update. Yeah, see, it's been a while since we've gotten a break from the plot and this just so happens to be exactly when we get one.

Actually, we're searching for an item called the Elysian Box. Does that name sound familiar?
Wow, now that's a fantastic name! Here's a puzzle for sharing that great name with me!

Umm, this is... completely unrelated. Like, even by Layton games standards this is a leap.

The puzzle itself I mean. "You said a thing? PUZZLE AT YOU!" is so common, I got four thrown at me just crossing the street the other day.

Anyway, directly south of Clarice we find... this interesting locale. This is what Barton didn't want us to get to. Well, we showed him!

I would be remiss if I didn't immediately point out that like the Hankist Formerly Known As Steve, Vera here is renamed from the US version. There she was named Ilyana. I have never seen her dialogue but I am going to presume that she is still ABSURDLY Northern. Like, Steve was it done wrong. Vera is it done almost scarily right. You'll see.

Hmph, I wish. I told Sam to track it down, but that boy is about as useful as a chocolate frying pan.
Oooh, don't fret like that, love. You'll get wrinkles in that distinguished brow of yours.

this is just to show that no i am making none of her dialogue up she really talks like this

This, meanwhile, is to show that despite his best intentions Barton was fighting a losing battle. We made it here and Luke already knows what a cabaret is anyway. Plus, well, considering the locale I doubt it's a burlesque show so Barton needs to get his head out of the gutter.

Luke is like maybe twelve years old at most here, by the way.

Let's take a closer look, shall we?

Well, we kind of will. We can't get in with Vera blocking the way, but maybe she'll let us enter if we solve her puzzle.

You're coming in to see the show, aren't you duckie?
I apologise, madam, but we're in the middle of-
'Ey, you aren't going all shy on me are you? I can see you blushing under that big hat!
Oh, and who's your little friend there? He's a right strapping lad isn't he! Aren't you, love?
Me? Um...

Oh right, and the fact that Vera does not care that Luke is here kind of makes it super-obvious that, no, this is not what Barton thought it was.

Ooh, one of Mr B's friends are you?
Something like that, yes. Tell me, does Mr Beluga visit here often?
Well, you could certainly call him a patron of the arts, love.

Ooh, but you are a handsome devil, aren't you? Charming, dapper and such a gentleman.
Show me you've got some brains behind that pretty face and I might get a bit... indiscreet.

Oh, well, in that case I guess I'll just decline for now I guess.

Not for any great reason, mind you, just that we're done with all the plot we're getting for this update already.

Instead, we'll help Vera out in a slightly different way.

Ooh, I was in a world of my own there, love. Sorry, pet, I'm just a bit tired. And thirsty!
It's right dead in there and all. I think a nice sit down is what I need.
Your job must be very taxing. Make sure to allow some time in your schedule for recuperation.
Ooooh! Don't go worrying about me, love. You'll get wrinkles.
You're right, though, I need to schedule some Vera-time.
If you'd like, I think we could prepare you a nice cup of tea. How does that sound?
Oooh, you're a man after my own heart. I'm gaspin' for a cuppa!
I need a lift after the day I've had. Could you make me something refreshing?
Oooh, and make sure you sweeten it right up and all, sugar lump.
I think we might be able to able to make something that fits the bill. Let's see...

Nice and easy, this one. Even by the tea distribution standards we've seen thus far.

Oooh, now that is divine. I do like a man who knows his way 'round a teapot.
There's a lot of new faces passing through town these days, but yours is the best of the lot, love.

Lookswise, he didn't hold a candle to you, of course, but he had a touch of class, I'd say.
Now if you two ever get tired of running around, stop in any time and say hi, you hear? Tee hee hee.

So, if we head down those stairs to the left of the Cabaret we can find Granny Riddleton's shack. That's not all that's here though; this is the first screen we've found where we can put our new camera to good use. Let's just click that and...

Yes, like with all things relating to the camera this is surprisingly tedious. It doesn't seem like it yet but just you wait.

So, you take a "photo" of the screen then you go into the trunk and the camera submenu. This brings up a mini-photo album and you pick one of the photos you've taken. This gives you a bland puzzle that we'll is VERY SLOW to actually resolve. You'll probably smash it in seconds but then take about a minute or so to actually get it finished because this was not well thought out. Each photo gives you the exact same puzzle but reskinned, for the record. We'll cover it more later though...

For now, we'll head back to the Cabaret and then south to the area where we ran into Stachenscarfen and then back to here. That direct path is open now that we've gone the whole way around to the museum, which made Barton stop blocking the stairs.

Now why are we here? Well, there's a new character here and she could provide useful information. Could.

Hmm... How to satisfy a sweet tooth...
I know! Why don't we make you a cup of tea?
Capital idea, Luke.
Tea? Gosh, I was hoping for a sugar-coated choco-cookie cupcakes... But I suppose tea could be tasty.
Just make sure it's EXTRA sweet. OK?

Actually barely harder than Vera's, because it only gives you one of the two criteria in the second sentence.

Mmm! You know, that wasn't half bad at all. Actually, it was pretty tasty! Thanks a million!
That's the first sweet thing I've had since Mum made me give up cola. She says it rots your teeth.

Oh, and of course Joanie has a puzzle for us. It's not really a question of "if" but rather "when."

Honestly, I can't stand to see you looking like that, so here's a little puzzle my friend told me.

I'm not sure I can bring myself to school a child over something like this. At least not at this hour.

Instead, let's head into the antiques store now.

Dawson does actually have something important for us but first we must find a way past his creek.

What's the matter, sir?
I had a set of cards that were arranged in a very specific way.
Unfortunately, I seem to be all thumbs today, and I dropped them while dusting them.
Until I can put the cards back in their proper order, there's no way I'll be able to sell them.
This looks like a job for me! I'll have those cards back in order before you know it!

This is a bit too much for me. My biggest shame...

Instead, we'll head back towards the hotel to catch a rest an--

Well, she wasn't here before. And she doesn't have a puzzle for us! (She can get thirsty, as can Dawson, but we can't make their tea yet.)

Then Duke Herzen discovered a vast gold deposit on the outskirts of town, which changed everything.
Folsense developed rapidly, but word of the gold brought in all sorts of unsavoury types.
It's such an awful shame. This used to be such an enchanting town...

We keep hearing about this gold deposit, but you'd think we'd see some indication of it by now. Or at least of its prosperous after-effects. Maybe that's more obvious in a part of the town we haven't gotten to yet.

Well, no time to worry about that right now. Let's head on in to the hotel and finally talk to the doorman/bellboy and provide him with a drink for a change.

Oh, don't mind me, sir. I just get a little gloomy when I think about how slow business has been lately.
To be honest, just thinking about it puts a raincloud over my head.
Well, how would you like a cup of tea?
I'd be happy to make one for you, and you'd be surprised what it can do for your mood.
I'd appreciate it. Maybe something spicy will cure me of this case of the blues.

Well, we do get to put this one to use once here as well.

So we've used all of our current teas at least once now! How... nice. Yes, let's go with that.

Oh my, that is delicious. Mmm, each sip reveals more flavours. It's like the tea I drank as a child.

Yes, they were simpler times, but when you look at what gold did to the people here...
Well, let's just say I preferred the days gone by.

And thanks to perfect pattern recognition, we can pivot from the end of the tea drinking straight to the puzzle obtaining.

May I suggest a light puzzle to refresh the body and mind?

Well, I'll pass on that for now actually.

Instead, we'll just head on up to our room to check on Flora and rest our legs for a few minutes.

I dunno, that sounds good to me.

We will, Flora. Do feel better soon.

Puzzles Remix

1. There's no need to decipher the relationships of every person in the picture. Just focus on finding the answer to the question at hand.
2. Who's married to the eldest sister? Using the clues you've been given, you should be able to find the answer to that question almost instantaneously.

1. You'll have a tough time if you just dive straight into adding up different strings of gems. There's an order you need to proceed in. Why don't you start by adding up the total value of the necklace?

1. "When you've got a puzzle like this one, what you wanna do is go over all the info you've got and find the stuff you can use. The difference between my parents' ages probably won't help you. But... my sister's age could be kinda useful."

1. The sum of all cards is 21. Knowing this, you can deduce that the top row of three cards in your solution should add up to 10, while the bottom row must add up to 11.

1. Once you see the pattern that runs through this puzzle, it's not very difficult to solve.
2. 15+51=66; 34+43=77; 53+35=88 So is the pattern clear yet?

So, what about that Photograph "puzzle"? Well...

It's a spot the differences puzzle. Compared to even the easiest normal puzzle, this shouldn't be too taxing.

Just for the record when you're playing, this is ungodly tedious because you get to find them one at a time... then sit through Layton or Luke's animation... then the (in)correct screen and then repeat. Every. Single. Time. It makes it take way longer than it needs to. Thankfully for you, that's something only I need to deal with. Just find all three and we can move on.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 19, 2016

Raramuffin
Nov 28, 2013

cupcake party!!
117. The elder sister must be the middle one because her husband is A and she is sitting next to her sister, D. D must be the younger sister, because her husband has no hat (C). That leaves B to be F’s (the unrelated woman’s) husband.

93. x + 5 = 2x so x = 5

63. Because 1 has to be in the left column, 4 cannot be on the right column to make 5 which also means 5 must be on the left, so 1, 5, 4 is very obviously not a valid combination. The right cards must be 3 and 2, so the rows have to be 5, 4, (3 or 2) and 1, 6, (3 or 2). The arrangement that has a difference of 1 in their respective orders are 1, 6, 3 and 5, 4, 2.

115. 44 is 31 + 13 :B

P8.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I got the same answers as Raramuffin on all of these. This seems like a particularly easy set, honestly.

...I wonder if the difference finding is why the previous LP ended shortly before this point.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Yeah, same here. These weren't very difficult, just more tedious than anything.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

117: The sister's husbands are C (no hat - married to the younger sister) and A (no mustache - married to the elder sister). B is therefore the one married to neither sister, and you don't actually need to figure out who the sisters are at all!

070: The stones' values are 100 through 1200 in steps of 100. So their total value is (100+1200)*6 = 7800, and we need to find three chains worth 2600 each. At the top, I see 900 next to 700, and there's a 1000 next to it, so that's one chain. 1200, 100, 500, 800 make the second chain, and 1100, 200, 400, 300 and 600 make the third chain. Cut between 900 and 1200, between 800 and 1100, and between 600 and 1000.

093: My sister is twice my age, and in five years, I'll be her age. So I'm 5 and she's 10. (And we didn't need to work out Mum and Dad's ages at all, but she's 30 and he's 35.)

063: Total sum of all cards is 21, so the top row needs to add up to 10 and the bottom row to 11 (clue 1). The 5 must be to the left of the 4 (clue 3); if the 4 is in the right column, then the 1 must be in the right column as well to make it add up to five (clue 2). But 1 must be in the left column (clue 4), so the 4 can't be in the right column. So the 4 is in the middle, and the 5 is to its left. If they are in the top row, then the 1 would have to be in the top row to make it add up to 10, and that doesn't work since the only top-row slot left is the top right. So the 4 and 5 are on the bottom row, and the 2 is in the bottom right. So the 3 is in top right, 1 is top left, and that leaves 6 in top middle and 2 in bottom right. Solution:

115: Since AB + BA is going to be a multiple of 11, the answer has to be A, and the numbers are 13 + 31.

008: 1) There's a circle in the oval shape in the top picture, making it look VERY eye-like. The "pupil" circle is gone from the bottom picture. 2) The chimney is straight in the bottom picture, but bent in the top one. 3) There's an extra branch to the left of the house in the bottom picture, but it's missing from the top picture. Also, the bottom picture is cropped more than the top one, or taken with a bit of a zoom lens, because the bottom of the brick border isn't visible -- but I bet that's not one of the differences the game is looking for.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. A lot of the puzzles in Folsense are giving you a lot more information than you need to solve them. I wonder if that's supposed to be thematic or something?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzles Remix

3. While we're on the subject, finding the husband of the younger sister should be a breeze as well. With those two men identified, this puzzle is as good as solved.

As was pretty swiftly noticed, these puzzles are all very simple. So simple, in fact, that we'll just skip through these as quickly as we can.

I bet when you open it, a genie pops out and, um, grants you a wish or something. Nifty!

2. If you added the totals correctly, you should have gotten £7,800. You want to divide this total into three sections of equal worth, so each section of the necklace in your solution will need to be worth £2,600.
3. No single strand will contain more than one of three stones worth £1,000 or more. Coincidentally, each of these three stones will form an end for each strand. Now all you need to figure out is which side of each £1,000+ stone connects to another stone.

Now then, Mr B is definitely here looking for something, but I don't rightly know what.
He can't be having much luck because he's had a right cob on whenever I've seen him lately.

2. "Five years ago, my sis was the same age as I am now, and she's now twice my age."
3. Read Hint Two REALLY CAREFULLY, OK? "Five years ago, my sis was the same age as I am now, and she's now twice my age."

What kind of reward?
The best kind! A story! OK, here goes.
See, a long time ago, there was another family in town as rich as the Herzens.

It could just be a story somebody made up, but if it's real, that boy must have been a total loser.

2. The 1 card belongs in the top row.
3. Put the 4 card in the middle column of cards.

Ok, just cutting in here because... seriously. Look at this. If it wasn't for the 5 needing to be left of the 4, this'd take all of one move. Really now...

Oh, splendid work, young man! You've got quite a way with puzzles for a boy your age.
Aw, thank you. Heh heh heh.

Okay, now this. This is important. It's not the last hamster toy, it's not even that close really. It's the last one we need however.

A Moment of Rest

Hamtaro's Weight Loss Tips

So, there are many, many, many ways we could set this up. This way is a bit needlessly convoluted, but it was an easy one to do that doesn't involve AI manipulation or requiring to explain things that are unnecessary. The long and short of it is:

1. Hamtaro moves south 3 spaces to the house. It's the only object in range, how nice.
2. He moves another 3 towards the lightbulb; the stump is equidistant but he prioritises the lightbulb because its ahead and to the left as opposite to directly left.
3. That makes him run in a straight line towards the bottom-right corner.
4. From there, he moves to the house by the block. Again, only thing in range.
5. Now he goes for the stump. The apple is within 3 so it gets automatically bumped up to top priority normally, but the block puts it out of range.
6. Stump to apple. Apple to flower. Flower to box. This is all simple as only objects in range.
7. Unlike every other object ('cept blocks which are actually superfluous) he doesn't enter the space the box is in. Stops adject to it then pulls a 180 and stops in the top-left corner.

If that was too convoluted to follow in writing, don't worry. All that matters is this layout gives a route of 30 steps or more.

This quite nicely lets us skip through the next... entirety of the minigame. Like, all of it. We could set up a route for each level, or we can just do it the much simpler way and solve it in all of a minute. I prefer the latter.

Our reward for this is a hint coin detector. Whenver we're on a screen we don't have all the hint coins for, Hamtaro can pop up, say a line and indicate the rough area where a hint coin is. This is any time we're on that screen as well, not just when we enter it. It's kind of useful, I guess? I mean, it could be but I already know where they all are.

End

Much more important, however, is this.

Because that means we've now unlocked one fifth of the post-game's extra puzzles! Between pattern recognition and/or memory, I'm sure you can guess what we need to do for the remaining 80%.

Puzzles Remix

Oh, right, there was one more of these to go.

3. Isn't it funny how adding a two-digit number to another two-digit number to another two-digit number with reversed digits always gives you a sum that's a multiple of 11?

I can't imagine how exhausted you must be from your search. Folsense is rather sprawling.
When you're ready to retire for the night, your rooms will be warmed and waiting for you.

And that just leaves one last little thing...

Remember, when you're actually doing this you gotta find one at a time then click here then sit through

then find the next then sit through another

and then the last and another

before you're done.

I could've done that in more full drawn out tedium, but I think this gets the point across just as well. If not, well, bully for you I guess.

After finding all three differences in a photo, a hidden puzzle appears in that screen. It's not there beforehand, but it's there now. This is kind of a whatever point in a vacuum, because that describes like the entirety of the game. I do have
a gripe with this gating mechanic but it's ultimately minor so it doesn't even matter too much.

It's not that well hidden, however; if we check the photo again, all it does now is tell us where the puzzle is.

And let us replay the ever-so-fun spot the differences bit if you really wanted to.

Same as before! Moving on.

Folsense

Might as well start things off by grabbing that hidden puzzle.

It'll be with the others like normal at this point.

Anyway, there is one last thing I forgot to do last time. Rory's still south of the hotel. Let's say hi!

Let me welcome you newcomers with a little riddle.
It celebrates a plaza like the one you and I are standing in right now.

That's quite alright, I've got what I came here for now.

So now we're going to backtrack quite a ways. Way back to where we could've gone anytime during the previous update in fact.

North of Clarice, there's more of Folsense to explore. We never did go this way after all.

That being the tall, blue building. This is the game unsubtly nudging you in that direction.

We'll get there in a moment. First, we have a man here to talk to.

Yes, in a way, but we're not here to sightsee.
We're searching for an antique known as the Elysian Box. Have you heard of it?
Mmm, no, that's the first I've ever heard of it. I wish I had some information for you.
Oh, I just can't let visitors to our great town go away empty-handed.
Here, it's not a keyring, but please take this puzzle of mine as a souvenir of Folsense.

Th-that's quite alright, really.

Yeah, so, uh.

About that watchtower Luke pointed out? Let's just go there.

Augh!
That scared me silly, Professor! What's making that awful racket?
I don't know, but I think it's coming from right above us. Quick, Luke, up the stairs!

Yeah, we're in a hurry here so we have no time to dawdle and collect these hint coins.

Or take a photograph for this hidden puzzle.

Or even do said hidden puzzle. Come on, Luke! We have no time to waste!

...Wait, sorry, why do we have no time to waste?

Are... are you all right, mister?
Hrm?! Who goes there?
Wait! You don't need to tell me. I know vampire henchmen when I see 'em!
Whoa, wait a second! What are you talking about? We just heard a scream and came to investigate.
Say what you will, sonny, but it won't do you any good! I see through your vampire lies!
If you really want me to believe you're not vampires, you'll solve this puzzle and you'll do it quickly!

Believe it or not, this random bozo and this puzzle he has is mandatory. Given the game's heavy-handed attempt at getting you to visit him, that seems plausible but you'll see...

If that's how it is, then listen to me when I tell you you'd best keep away from the castle over yonder.

It's the nest of one of the most fearsome undead creatures around. A real, erm... live vampire.
A real live vampire, you say?
Don't make me say it again!

Indeed. Perhaps our only real choice is to wait for the Herzen Museum to open.
Gosh, if that's the case, maybe we should revisit the museum.
You never know, it might have opened up while we were away.
You have a point, Luke. I hope the museum proves more useful to us this time than it did the last.

And going to the museum right away... is what we aren't going to do, of course. First, we're going to head next door to the smaller red building.

It's probably a grocery store of some kind, but it feels a bit... I don't know, out of the way?

Also kind of super-smelly, yuck!

Yes, it's very pungent. It's a good thing I brought a handkerchief. My eyes are watering.
My nose hurts just being in here.

Of course his name is Garland. Why wouldn't it be?

It's been months since anyone came by. My shop's been out of favour with the townspeople recently.
I can see why! Or rather, I can smell why!
OK, my shop smells. So what?! It's not for the good of my health, you know. It's for protection!

Since the garlic has kept everyone in the village away from his store... doesn't that mean EVERYONE IS VAMPIRES?!?!

Vampires? Seriously?
Do I look like I'm joking, boy?

That's where the vampire lives. At least, that's what people say.
I'm not saying I believe the talk, but you can never be too prepared, you know.

So, yes, we had to go bug Geoff in his tower and solve his puzzle. As a mandatory plot flag. Despite this guy next door telling us the exact same thing but without actually giving us the mystery, an extra puzzle or relevant plot flag to continue onwards. Because stop asking questions okay.

Anyway, back outside we're going left. There's not much here, so this'll be quick.

There's no one here, no puzzles or anything. Just three hint coins and a gate that has rusted and been destroyed. I wonder where it leads!

From what I can see, it's just an expanse of wilderness. Let's leave it be for now.

Yeah, so we can't do anything here. So we'll head right from the previous screen instead.

Why, hello there Parcelle. Funny to run into you here again.

Well, uh, I'm presuming he can't leave right now either since the train isn't working.

Why, what's up there?
Oh, nothing really. Just some old houses. I've got letters from folk in Dropstone to deliver there.
Wow, there are people from Dropstone sending letters all the way out here?

It's hard to describe it in words, so I'll just leave it at that.
Whoops, and I've got to dash. The post can't be late!
Mr Parcelle, please wait a moment!

Quite a perplexing individual, that one, but never mind. For now, we must focus on our investigation.

There's actually nothing else up here to look at, do or even go for that matter. We're stuck backtracking now, so we'll head alllllll the way back to the museum. It's quicker than it sounds, at least.

Now we can finally go inside!

So, aside from the hint coins there's Beluga and Sammy (Thunder!) to talk to. Except, there kind of isn't; they both trigger the same thing.

It sounds like the conductor and Mr Beluga are rowing again.

Unko, you gotta cut me some slack. It's no piece of cake sneaking around with the fuzz on my tail.
Plus that professor dude from London has been out playing detective.
Keeping a low profile takes it out of a guy, you know what I'm saying?
Plus, my feet are killing me from all this running around. How about you let me take a break?
Besides, if I get caught sneaking around like this...
You always were a layabout, Samuel. Stop moaning and et back to the task at hand.

I'm not sure, though it appears that while the gate is open, the museum itself is still closed.
But let's put this discussion aside for a moment. Tell me, Luke, do you recognise the symbol at our feet?

Silence

The stone has been worn down over the years, but I've definitely seen this design before.
Oh! It looks like the symbol on the bok we found lying out in the street!

Given how we've gotten zero keys for that since finding it, you'd be excused for thinking the game forgot about it.

Ah, yes! Now I've got it!
What is it, Professor?

But this town is so big. How are we going to track him down?
Well, it's quite late now. He may have returned to the hotel for the night. What do you think?
I think you're probably right. Quick, let's head back to the hotel!

Folsense

Once again, that's not quite what we're doing just yet. Let's get closer to the museum first; we don't actually know if it's closed or not.

Before we can try the front door, however, this guy's just... here. I think it's actually open, you know?

You want to get on my good side and hear what I have to say? Fine. But first, a little chess!
Well, this should be interesting.

I wonder if Layton is getting the same déjà vu as I am right now. Let's see what this is, then.

Puzzles Remix

Hm, well it's a number 1. That's a good sign.

1. This puzzle is way more fun if you solve it yourself, so you should keep the hints to a minimum if you can. But if you're completely stuck, your first move takes the night into the middle column.
2. For your second and third moves, you don't have any choice where to put the knight. But after that, you should move the knight into the bottom row.
3. If you get stuck after the part of the puzzle mentioned in Hint Two, head to the top part of the board.

So, I could have left this one up to the thread in a roundabout way or in a normal way. But for the sake of this first one, I'll just do it myself as an example.

Not like it's particularly difficult with a board this small or anything anyway.

Folsense

There's lots more where that came from, but let's take a breather for now so you can hear my spiel.
Back in the day, this town was full of aristocratic families, but one day they all just upped sticks.

Man, Folsense really seems like a pretty miserable place to live if you think about it. It's in the middle of nowhere, no (normal) trains come here, their one big boon ended up kind of ruining everything, they've got a vampire infestation and everyone in charge just up and left at some point. I sure wouldn't want to live here is all I'm saying.

Anyway, museum!

Bah, never mind. Unless there's something else new along the way, let's just head back to the hotel.

Puzzles Remix

1. Use the Memo function to trace out potential courses the mole could follow.
2. Do you see the little T intersection just above hole F? That's where the mole will end up when he's picked up the very last piece of trash. Find a course that lets him conclude his cleaning at that location.

1. In the example illustration, the plaza has been divided by two lines, which makes the answer invalid. The fact that you need to use a single line to answer the problem is key. Since you can use only one line, you know you won't be solving this one by drawing lines through the middle of the plaza, right?
2. Even if you avoid drawing your line through the center of the plaza, no single straight linen will divide the plaza into two pieces that are the same shape. By the way, did you notice the goal here isn't to make two pieces that are the same size but merely the same shape? Keep that in mind.

This is one that I'm not super keen on, either. Not because it's hard or anything, but we'll get to that when we get to that.

This one, on the other hand, I feel is super-easy to the point of being boring. That the VERY FIRST HINT outright spells out the solution is why you're getting none of them.

1. Looking for a place that has its view obscured by another building? Hmm, it doesn't look like there are any places around the town like that.

I'm thinking from now on, I'll post the hidden puzzle with the photo just to keep things going easier. If you think that's weird, I can stagger them as well but I think this way's preferable.

1. The bag of fake coins contains ONLY fake coins, each of them one unit lighter than a real coin. So you could take one coin out for each bag and weigh them each in turn, sing the scale five times. But that wouldn't make for a very interesting puzzle, would it?
2. Think about how to accomplish your goal in less than five weighings. If you tried to weigh all the bags at once, you would go over the scale's measuring capacity.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 21, 2016

Kangra
May 7, 2012

These are still not that hard.

Do they expect you to freehand the geometric mean of the radii in the plaza puzzle?

#129: C is the only point with an odd number of exits, and since there is the weird loop between D & F, it's the only possible place to answer.

#76: Logic does not dictate that, but since they're using flawed phrasing the answer is probably the tower itself.

#119: Three , unless the bags are allowed to be opened and the coins removed for weighing, in which case it's one.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kangra posted:

These are still not that hard.

Do they expect you to freehand the geometric mean of the radii in the plaza puzzle?

Thankfully no, the answer is still a bit dumb but you're overthinking it.

060: You need to draw a concentric circle around the fountain, making the donut into two smaller donuts. They said "identically shaped", not "identically sized", and even then they're sort of wrong.
085: B fits the pattern, and yeah, the hints are super obvious on this one.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 21, 2016

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

129: This is a "cross every bridge twice" problem, so we're looking for the odd-numbered junctions. C has three branches, and another unlabeled junction just above F has three. So the mole can accomplish his task, but only if he starts from C.

060: Had to look at the second hint before I got it. Just draw a circle of any size around the statue. Say, through the middle of the doughnut. The outer doughnut and the inner doughnut now have the same shape (though not the same size).

085: I'm not actually getting this one.

076: It's the tower itself.

005: Big oval mirror just left of the doorway (cracked in bottom photo). Wine bottle at bottom center (spilling wine in top photo). Haven't found the third yet, and I think I'm not going to. There's a plank line visible in the top picture under the wine spill, which is missing in the bottom picture, but I'm guessing the game will lump that in with the wine spill as just one difference, right?

119: There's a way to do it in only ONE weighing. Open bags 1 through 4 and put their coins in four separate piles. Then take 1 coin from pile 1, 2 coins from pile 2, 3 coins from pile 3, and 4 coins from pile 4, and put them all into bag 1. If all of the coins from bags 1 through 4 are genuine, then that will weigh 100 grams, and bag 5 (by elimination) must contain the fake coins. Otherwise you'll be short by N grams, and N will be the number of the fake-coin bag. I.e., if that collection weighs 98 grams, then it had two fake coins in it, so they came from bag 2. Now, you could have done that by also adding 5 coins from bag 5, for a total expected weight of 150 grams that's guaranteed to be short. But even if the scale had a max of 100 grams, the approach above would have allowed for only one weighing to solve the puzzle.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
085 took me a minute, but it's one of those that's super obvious in hindsight:

All you've got to do is rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise. Doing so reveals that the blocks are carved to resemble their numbers (except the first one, that kinda throws the pattern off). Rotating the options for block #4 reveals that the answer is obviously B.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Phelddagrif posted:

085 took me a minute, but it's one of those that's super obvious in hindsight:

All you've got to do is rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise. Doing so reveals that the blocks are carved to resemble their numbers (except the first one, that kinda throws the pattern off). Rotating the options for block #4 reveals that the answer is obviously B.

Well, it's a single thick line. That's still a 1.

Also I love that Beluga thinks if he bugs Sammy enough the dude will just begrudgingly do whatever. Even find priceless lost artifacts.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

60. Draw a ring around the center, splitting them into two donut shapes.

85. The answer is B because rotated, it makes a 4 and fits the pattern.

76. It's the tower itself which is kinda dumb.

That last puzzle is one where I've seen the answer before, so I won't submit, but it's one of those weird ones where seeing the logic behind the answer makes sense, but it requires several assumptions that aren't covered in the problem.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

GeneralYeti posted:

60. Draw a ring around the center, splitting them into two donut shapes.

85. The answer is B because rotated, it makes a 4 and fits the pattern.

76. It's the tower itself which is kinda dumb.

That last puzzle is one where I've seen the answer before, so I won't submit, but it's one of those weird ones where seeing the logic behind the answer makes sense, but it requires several assumptions that aren't covered in the problem.

I once read about a French guy who eats lunch in the Eiffel Tower every day because he loving hates the sight of it. Problem solving.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzles Remix

3. Search for a hole that leads to an odd number of separate routes.

If you think about it, we've seen this puzzle already. Remember the bridge puzzle from the DLC a short while back? Yeah, it's the exact same thing in practice.

...Oh, and no, these aren't the wrong images here. Despite the scene making this Luke's thing to do, Layton gets credit. I really do just imagine these things as him being unable to stop himself and just spoiling the answer.

Um, Luke you... never mind.

3. If you're still having trouble, you should know that the single line you need to draw is a circle. The only remaining question is where to place it so that the two pieces of the plaza have the same shape and are directly proportional to one another.

So, my issue with this puzzle is honestly really simple. You don't have to be super-perfect with either how the shape is drawn, but you do have to be bizarrely precise to get credit for it. I feel like about half of it has to cross the exact right spot and the rest needs to be very close too but maybe I'm just bad at eyeballing this kinda thing.

I still got it in one shot anyway, this time, so it's not too big a deal at least.

Take it from someone who's seen it all: stay away from the forest to the north-west of town.

1. Rotate each shape 90 degrees to get a fresh perspective on the puzzle.
2. If you look closely, you might notice that there's a number visible within each of the shapes.
3. Once you rotate the shapes, you'll be able to see a number hidden within them.

I hate to burst your bubble, but if your lead on this Elysian Box led you here, you may be out of luck.

It all started over a strange rumour that spread through the town like wildfire.
Ah, so even if we are in the right place, there may be no one left to ask.
Tell me, what was this rumour?
Some silly thing about a curse... I'm not entirely sure what it was, to be honest.
But I often find myself wondering where all those people who left Folsense ended up.

I don't think anyone noticed the one in the top-right here and it is kind of tricky to see at first. Then it becomes super obvious: the garlic cloves there are mirrored from the source image. Feel free to go back and look at it again if you want.

3. Hint Two had the idea of weighing all the bags at once. There are 10 10-unit coins in each of the five bags, for a total of 500 units. But one bag contains fake coins, so the weight is actually less than that. Perhaps the key to solving this really is to weigh all the bags at once, in a sense?

It's kind of annoying that the "solution" to this puzzle requires you to make a leap and assume you can do things that there are zero hints in the puzzle for.

Y'know, I think there's only like a tiny handful of lines for post-hidden puzzle dialogue. I might be misremembering though.

2. You need to find a place where the tower's top can't be seen. To put it another way, you're looking for a place that doesn't allow you to see the outside of the tower.
3. There's one indoor location from which you definitely won't be able to see the outside of the tower.

Suspense

History

So, Chelmey here IS a puzzle gate but it's for 50 puzzles. We've gotten 75 done at this point so, uh, yeah they're never an issue. Like, ever.

Tell me, has your search yielded any genuinely useful facts yet? Another missing dog, perhaps?
Perhaps. Would you mind showing me the photo you recovered from the doctor's flat?
Oho, am I to understand there's a clue to be found in that photo?
Hrmph, well. I can tell you're serious about the investigation.

What the devil?
Is something the matter, sir?
There's a hole in my blasted pocket!
Oh, no!

...That's a VERY large hole. How did you not notice before now?!

I've been scattering the pieces about without even noticing! This... This is a low point in my career.
It seems that all that remains of the photo is this one scrap.

Hey look, we have yet another thing to run around town collecting!

Only this one is actually plot important so we have yet more padding! What fun...

It doesn't look like we'll ever see that photo again...
Perhaps not... The pieces were all still in my pocket when we entered Folsense. Of that much I am sure.
Inspector, do you recall the path you took around town over the past couple of hours?
Bits of it, yes. Let's see...

Mandatory puzzle, moving on, etc. etc.

That should be enough information to get us started. Thank you.

Come, Luke. Let's see if we can recover the pieces of that photo by retracing the inspector's steps.
What's so important about that photo, Professor?

Say no more, I'm sold! After all, your intuition never fails. Let's hurry to the north-east of town!
I think we can get there through the little path where that bulldog was sitting.
Yes, let's. Here, I'll lead the way.

It sure doesn't feel it, but we're actually a fair bit closer to the end than the chapter's number and title implies. Pacing is yet another thing this game kind of doesn't get.

What it does get, at least, is that Barton is a new addition that is cool. I like Barton. Let's start with him so we can keep the left-to-right pattern consistent.

B-Barton, why did you never say anything before now?!

A dog, Officer? Which dog?
Inspector Chelmer had an, um, altercation with a canine by a path to the north-east corner of town.
Well, dogs can sniff out mean people, you know. That's just more proof that he needs to be nicer!
He may seem a bit prickly at times, but he's actually quite kind.
Having said that, this story I heard about him concern one of his less friendly episodes.

The Inspector did what now? How scandalous!

So, what about Krantz?

Though lovely, our town is quite vast, so take care not to tire yourselves out.
I'm sure your feet must be sore, so why not sit for a moment and enjoy this puzzle I've prepared?

Um, well, that's okay actually. No need to worry.

Y'know, it's a new chapter now and we've got a new goal for the time being. Let's check in Flora and see if she's feeling better.

Where did you get off to, Flora?
Me? I, well, um...
Come now, Luke. A gentleman never forces a lady to say more than she wants to.
Oops, of course. Where are my manners? Sorry, Flora.
Oh, don't give it a second thought.

A bit, but nothing concrete. What we need is more time to comb the area for clues.
We could be quite a while, so if you feel tired, go ahead and turn in, dear.
I will. I sure hope you two find a good, solid lead soon!

Right, so, that photo. We could just beeline for Precious in the north-east of this area but Chelmey could've dropped those photo scraps anyway.

Folsense

We know he's been to this store before, for example, so it's worth asking at least.

I've got a vintage puzzle that I'd love to share with you if you'd like to listen.
We'd be honoured to hear it.
Wonderful. This puzzle involves a certain rare vase in my collection. It's on display just over there.

Well, that's not really what we're here for so let's just... move on from this.

Now, hrm, where else has the Inspector been?

Maybe here? We know Barton got rather presumptuous about it at least, so it's worth a shot.

Um... No, I...
Aw, look at those red cheeks! No need to be shy, poppet!
'Ere, try this puzzle out. It'll relax you.

Once again, not really what we're looking for right now.

Closest place to here where we know Chelmey has been is obvious at least.

We even saw him talking to Felix. He's almost certainly seen something.

With no customers, I don't really have much to do, unfortunately.
Do you have any other duties here besides watcing the door?
Some small tasks. For instance, the boss requested that I make some extra copies of the menu.
To be honest, it's a real bother! Would you mind helping me out?

It sounds to me like you're trying to trick a child into doing your job for you. Unpaid at that.

Okay, so this next idea is a strech but hear me out.

We're trying to find photo scraps, Chelmey was (hopefully) trying to investigate this photo, maybe there's something in the studio to find?

The tales I've heard about what people see out there would make your blood run cold.
I recently went out there myself to take a few pictures with my best camera.
What came out was... Well, here, see for yourself.

Well, sadly, this idea was a bust I guess. 'Twas worth a shot though.

No point in delaying any further; Precious is just above here so we'll head back outside and up those stairs.

Well, we'll never know unless we try.

So, let's see what we can do about this particular dog problem.

...Seriously, what is it with this game and dogs?

Our friend the bulldog seems to have had a change in temperament since we last met.
Groooooowl... Grrr...
He looks really hungry, Professor. I think he'll let us pass if we bring him a snack.

I'm sure we can find a suitable snack for our friend there.

Fortunately, that's very close. We just have to go a little ways past the museum...

Well, she's new so let's at least say hi. We're pretty close to our destination anyway.

Why does everyone make such a kerfuffle about warning people away from that castle?
Even if you wanted to go, it's impossible to get up there! The forest gate is always locked!
I take it that's the sole path to the castle, then?
Kee hee! You actually want to go there, don't you? It's a weird and scary place, but I know the feeling.

If you hide in the bushes and wait for the coach, you might be able to sneak in behind it.
So the gate does open! Do you know anything about this stagecoach?

Maybe it delivers raw steaks and blood for the vampire's dinner! But really, I have no idea.
But, hey, all this tlak of stagecoaches has reminded me of this puzzle about horses.

I think you kind of got the order backwards here. Generally people withhold information until we solve their puzzle. We've gotten some... really very good information here, so we'll ignore this now!

Well, uh, grocer's right over there. Sorry, no time, goodbye!

...She's also new. We're right there already, so sure, we can slow down a bit now.

That really, um, stinks.
It's OK. I brought some snacks with me to nibble on, so at least I'm not bored. Here, let's share them.

Well, I don't have much of a sweet-tooth personally. Thanks though.

So, it's unfortunate she's got to deal with Garland's... everything all the time forever. But we've got to deal with it right now so that's infinitely worse.

History

Let's just get this snack for Precious and move on.

We're in desperate need of food for a hungry dog. Do you have anything that fits the bill?
Well, that's the most interesting request I've heard all day.
I don't have anything in a tin, but this leftover beef shank'll make Rover sit up and beg!
That should do nicely. Would you be willing to part with it?

Nope!

NOPE! That is a big problem! Unless Layton wants to kill the dog, I mean.

Garlic is VERY HIGHLY TOXIC for dogs!! Don't do this at home!!!!

Good, good. Now, I won't charge a penny, but you'll have to solve this puzzle I've got here.
I've been mulling it over for days and I'm starting to lose sleep.

C-can we actually, I don't know, look for a less inherently lethal solution maybe?

Puzzles Remix

1. The inspector says he took one turn on a block with a cafe, but that doesn't mean he had to turn in the the direction of the cafe he saw. Instead, what he's essentially saying here is that he was only able to turn once at any intersection with a cafe.

1. If one of the bobbies had said he turned a total of 1,000 times during the course of his investigation, the inspector would have no reason to doubt the bobby was telling the truth.
2. With U-turns forbidden, there's a certain logic you should be able to find in all this confusion.

1. Gold ore is worth a whopping five tiems as much as copper, so focus on claiming some of that. Wouldn't it be great if you could find a five-square plot of land with two pieces of gold ore on it? Sadly, that doesn't seem likely.
2. Unfortunately, no single five-square plot of land contains two pieces of gold ore. However, you just might be able to find a plot that has two pieces of silver ore, remember, your first priority is choosing the plot with the highest total value.

1. Since the stones are of the same size and feel, there is absolutely no way to tell them apart while removing them.
2. The best chance you'll have at pocketing those coins is just around 50%. There's no way of ensuring you'll win the coins.

1. Start by figuring out how old the girl was back when the boy was as old as the girl is now. What relationship does the girl's past age have with the boy's current age?

I... really dislike this puzzle. It's just so awfully worded that it's kind of terrible nonsense until you parse what the heck is being said.

1. Fold creatively and copy two pages at a time.
2. Just because a crease makes the menu sit one way doesn't mean you can't fold along that line in the other direction.

1. Think you've found the answer? You're sure? Well, just to be safe, compare its outline to the ghosts one more time. Don't forget to look at little details, like the shape of its hands.

1. There's no need to do any complicated calculations. The same horses compete several times, and since a tie means the teams are equal, think about what might happen with different matchups.

1. First count out how many sweets you have. There are five pieces of three types of candy and 10 pieces of a fourth type. You have to put two pieces of this fourth type of candy into each of the five portions.

1. Use the Memo function to trace which openings in the container lead to the garlic bulbs!

Whew, that's a lot of puzzles at once huh? Hopefully it's not too many.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Ah, dogs and allium. I remember over on Tumblr I watched (well, participated in, slightly; I'm a dog lover myself) a massive argument between a vegan and a bunch of people who know literally anything about raising animals. It seems our meatless friend had been for quite some time home-preparing vegan dog foods, and one day they made a post describing the meal they'd made for their dog that evening with a photo saying "look how excited he is he loves this stuff." The photo was not of a particularly excited or healthy dog and the recipe very clearly mentioned a quite unsafe quantity of garlic (there might have been some onions in there too; which are related to garlic and also quite toxic). Everyone involved was legitimately surprised the dog was still alive and begged this guy to either start feeding him properly, or rehome him to someone who would. I believe most of his counterarguments were "the vet is monitoring him very carefully and says he's fine," which one of the other arguers pointed out meant that he was straight up admitting he wasn't actually sure, and his poor dog was an unconsenting guinea pig in an entirely unnecessary and cruel experiment. And the vet couldn't have been very good if they were okaying meals that had garlic in them.

Not to get political but this is why I hate vegans. Like, there are several other reasons but most of them boil down to, they're a vegan first and everything else second. I don't think I've ever met a vegan actually willing to put aside their lifestyle choices in the name of taking care of a pet properly. If you're not gonna feed your pet meat, get a loving rabbit or something. They're vegans without even trying.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It's not the smell of garlic that makes it toxic to dogs, but the bulb itself, right? So something with garlic stench shouldn't be definitively lethal.

You would think Layton would know better, though.

064: Pulling out 100 stones gives you a ~50% chance of getting 50 gold. That's the best chance, and the best payout.
074: The garlic goes to all three openings and you only have two corks, so the obvious choice is to shove the two corks up into his own nose.
075: http://i.imgur.com/fWY7AXm.png
092: The chunk in the lower right with 2 Copper, 1 Silver, and 1 Gold has a value of 10 Laytonbucks, which is the most I can manage out of all the 5-tile combinations.
096: B.
111: Anyone with an odd number of turns reported is a filthy liar who would have never made it back to the station, so that's 105 and 113.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

110: Right one block, down two, right two, down one, right one. This passes two coffee shops, but one of those is at an intersection Chelmey goes straight across.
120: D alone will tie. Per the results of Matches 1 and 3, BC vs G ties, and from that and Match 2, A vs H ties. Removing A and H from Match 3 then gives EF vs D.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

064: Pull out 100 stones, since then it's a 50-50 chance you get the money. It's the best odds.

069: 3. Copy A+B, fold C back to copy C+F, then fold D+E.

071: Unless I did some mental math wrong, she's 15.

074: Well, all three openings lead to garlic. So, we plug up the other openings - his nostrils. This one took me longer than I care to admit.

075: I don't feel like drawing it out, but KataraniSword's answer is what I got.

092: That chunk in the bottom right corner - gold, two chunks of copper, and one chunk of silver.

096: B. It's the only one with the correct elbows, tail, and number of fingers.

110: This one was hard to understand. Right 1, down 2, right 2, down 1, right 1.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Chelmley and Barton are doing some police-themed puzzles for us. That's nice variety.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

#110: Assuming that the exit is the lower right, and assigning directions based on North=up, 1 East, 2 South, 2 East, 1 South, 1 East.

#111: The bobbies who claimed an odd number of turns are lying or violated the U-turn rule.

#092:A pentomino can be located in the lower right section that covers gold, silver, and two coppers for a value of 10.

#064:There's a maximum at either extreme - either 2 or 100 stones give a result of 51/101. Since 2 is just as good and slightly easier, go with 2.

#071: 20 = 2*G' (G' is girl's previous age), girl's current age = boy's previous age : G'+x = 20 - x. From the first equation, G' = 10, and that gives 5 for x, yielding 15 for the girl's age

#069: This one is just silly; there's no earthly reason for someone to make copies like that. It can be done in three passes by folding in to get A-D, and then B-C and E-F on their own page.

#096: A has too long a tail; C has backwards hands; D has too few fingers on the hands. The answer is B.

#074:Hit the corks with a hammer to smash open the two containers and throw away the garlic. Otherwise the next poor person to enter the room will have to deal with it, and there's no way we're getting the garlic out through that mass of tubing.

A much more entertaining set this time around!

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 24, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Not to get political but this is why I hate vegans. Like, there are several other reasons but most of them boil down to, they're a vegan first and everything else second. I don't think I've ever met a vegan actually willing to put aside their lifestyle choices in the name of taking care of a pet properly. If you're not gonna feed your pet meat, get a loving rabbit or something. They're vegans without even trying.

I have, I know a couple of them, but I agree that the main annoyance of [lifestyle X] is when they try to impose it on others. Diet, religion, sports, TV shows, the "if it works for me than it HAS to work for everyone else" mentality.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

110: "Didn't walk any farther than necessary" would imply that he never doubled back; he only headed east or south at intersections. The only route I've found that passes in front of one hat shop, one flower shop, and turns at one (and only one) cafe is ESSEESE.

111: To end up at your starting point without making any U-turns, you'd have to have an even number of turns. The two who reported an odd number of turns, 105 and 113, are suspicious.

092: There's an obvious choice in the NE corner with two silver and three copper, worth 9. To beat that, we'd need 10 or more from somewhere. There's no way to get two golds in five adjacent squares, but there is a score of 10 in the lower right-hand corner: take squares F3, E3, E2, E1 and D2. That gives a gold, a silver and two copper, for a total of 10. There's no way to get 11, so that's the best.

064: If you pull out 100 stones, there's an almost-50% chance that the one left over will be black, and a just-over-50% chance that the one left over will be white. If a white stone is left over, you just won 100 gold. If a black stone is left over, you won nothing. But since any other number of stones pulled out has roughly similar chances of being half-white and half-black (e.g., pulling out just 2 stones has roughly 50% chances of winning), that means you're best off pulling out 100 stones.

071: When he was her current age, she was 10. This works if they're five years apart, so he's now 20 and she is now 15.

069: Three passes. On the first one, copy E and F, the "front" and "back" covers. On the second one, fold D inside and photocopy it with A, the page that's opposite F. (You can tell which it is by where the string is). On the third pass, photocopy B and C together.

096: D has only four fingers, so it's out. The tail on A is too long, so it's out. And C's arms are missing the "shoulder", so it's out. B is the correct answer.

120: If D+A = F+H+E, by elimination in round one B+C = G. So from round two, A=H. So we can remove A and H from round three's equation and see that D=F+E. So the answer is that D alone should compete against E and F if you want a draw.

075: There are five each of three kinds of sweets, and ten of the fourth kind. So we can draw lines between any touching pair of the "unique" kinds of sweets, and from there the solution is pretty easy to find.

074: What kind of bottle is THAT?!? There is no path leading from an opening to the flowers, and all the openings connect to one or the other of the garlic cloves. However, openings 1 and 3 lead to the leftmost garlic clove, and opening 2 leads to the rightmost clove. So if you seal opening 2 you cut off the smell of the rightmost clove, and if you seal opening 1 you REDUCE the smell of the leftmost clove since it takes further for its smell to reach opening 2. I see two possible answers: BEST: put the corks right down inside the bottle, where the garlic smell emerges from the bulbs. But that's probably not legal. So... SECOND-BEST: Seal the leftmost and middle openings. If all you have is two corks, that's the best you'll be able to do to mitigate the smell.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Near the end of the page, big update etc. etc.

So, fun fact. Recently Pink Floyd had their 50th Anniversary of being a band and stuff, right? To commemorate, like two days ago the British Post Office released several stamps (yes, as in postage stamps) of their work including some of their album covers. Dark Side of the Moon was one because of course it was. Atom Heart Mother was another.

Completely unrelated in every way to anything but I feel like throwing it out there just 'cause. No idea what the connection could be here, if there is one. If nothing else, it's fun trivia I guess!

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

113. 6. Because 1 is facing us, 6 is eliminated for the bottom die's hidden face, which means it has to be either 2, 3, 4, or 5. It can't be 5 - because no face on the die is 0, meaning the sum between the two is greater than 5 - so let's work backwards. 4 means that the matching face has to be 1, which means that the top hidden face of the second die is 6, which doesn't work. 3 means that the matching face has to be 2, which means the top hidden face of the second die is 5, which also doesn't work. That leaves 2 as our only option, which matches to 3, meaning the top hidden face is 4; this forces the matching face to be 1, meaning the top face of the third die is 6.

124. It should be C. B can't be used to make the far-right UFO, and A can't be used to make the far-left UFO, leaving C.

086. Derp, this one took too long to get. It's the alphabet on the right, reflected on the left. So make the A and reflect it by filling in all of the lines except the horizontal lines on the bottom.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

098: I solved this before reading down to see that it was solved within the LP. Swap positions 2 and 5 and now there are three jars on the left, and three cans on the right. Done. ... Wait. Is THAT what they meant? Because "you must always move two containers at once" is easily fulfillable with the solution I thought of: pick one up with your left hand and one with your right hand, and swap them. Voila, you've moved two containers at once. Bad wording on that puzzle.

113: On the middle die, the top and bottom can't be 1/6 or 2/5 since you couldn't add up the touching faces to 5 with a 5 or a 6 in there. If the bottom face of the middle die was 4, the top face of the bottom die would be 1, but we can see the 1 and it's not on top. So the bottom face of the middle die is 3, and its top face is 4. Therefore the bottom face of the top die is 1, and its top face is 6.

002: You know what, I don't enjoy these, so I'm going to skip this one.

003: Ditto.

124: Looks like C can make all those shapes.

086: The figures are A,B,C,D,E,F in seven-letter segment displays, mirrored. So figure 1 should look like figure 2 minus the two bottom horizontal segments.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I just noticed that Luke and Layton are little tea fairies on the blending screen. I suppose a gentleman will do anything for a good cuppa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

If I'm right, this is the last post of the page. This is just so the update's on a new one. :)

• Locked thread