Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
100: Not entirely sure about the mechanics of this one either, but on the assumption of "You can advance only one plank or three planks at a time, and can never step into a hole on either side", then here is a possible solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
126: The real-life answer would be: N, then E, then N again, then grab the trees for support while you work around to the exit that's RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. But the puzzle wants us to answer N, E, S, W, N, E, N.

127: Oh boy, is that convoluted. N, W, N to get to the upper-left corner. Then E, S, E, S, E to get to the lower-right corner. Then N, W, S, E, S, E to circle around to the spot where we can finally reach the exit, and finally N to the exit.

128: N, E, N, W, S, W, S, E, S, E, N, W, N

100: Go forward 3 planks with the right foot. Then 3 with the left foot. Then 1 R, 1 L, 3 R. Now at this point, the next steps could be 3 L, 1 R, 3 L, but that would land us one step beyond the red footprint, and I bet the puzzle won't accept that as a correct answer (even though it should be correct). So instead of that, we'll start over from the beginning and take a different approach.

If we start out with 1 L, 1 R, 3 L, 3 R, 3 L, we'll be able to hit the red footprint exactly. The next steps are 1 R, 1 L, 3 R, 1 L and we're done.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. This last stretch of puzzles has actually been pretty directly relevant. Usually these are broken up with somebody posing you a tangentially related conundrum.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Glazius posted:

Dang. This last stretch of puzzles has actually been pretty directly relevant. Usually these are broken up with somebody posing you a tangentially related conundrum.

To get through the next door we need to figure out the age of Billy's siblings and which one is adopted.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Lost Forest (High Quality)

3. In order to enter the goal, you must first stop in a position directly below it. There are two short walls lining the path that leads straight up to the goal. Take the professor on a course that leads him straight into the rightmost of those walls.

This is a pretty simple puzzle overall, really.

....But would you believe me if I said it was even simpler than this? Because it is!

Now there is no reason to even think that this is something you can do. By all accounts, heading back like that should put you in the alcove. It just doesn't, because the entrance counts as the edge of the map I guess.

3. Don't get impatient while you're out there skating around. It may take you the equivalent of two laps around the lake to get where you need to be.

These double-back solutions are clearly not the intended solution, since the hints do not even remotely point in that direction. The very description of the way these puzzles work makes it apparent, even.

That and they're significantly faster than the "normal" solutions. That's the one reason why I'm going with them over the regular ones for #2 and #3.

I sense we're getting close, Luke. Let's keep moving.

3. In order to enter the goal, you must first stop in a position directly below it. But considering the complicated nature of the course, you might have more luck starting from the goal and working your way backward. Do that, and you'll soon see that you need to position the professor three spaces below the goal in order to reach it!

3. Luke's ninth step carries him to the goal.

Y'know, I wasn't expecting this to be a puzzle that just stymied people and wouldn't really work out as well in-thread. S'pose it was going to happen at some point.

Alright, so the recap is the same as before.

Which is fine, because we're now in the final chapter. Sure doesn't feel like it.

So, let's enter Herzen Castle at long last. Also, uh, I really like Herzen Castle.

No, that's not sarcasm.

This is a puzzle gate that we should've seen coming for sure, though.

Finally, Herzen Castle :siren:
just watch this if possible instead

Sorry to intrude, but we are investigating an important antique, this box we have here.
The emblem on its lit seems connected to your house in some way.
Would you have time to answer a few questions?
Hm.
I think this matter would best be addressed by the master. Please, come inside.

Silence

Herzen Castle looks really kinda cool from what little we get to see right away. Might just be me though.

Indeed, Luke. This castle is extremely impressive.

A very short time later, Nigel brings us to this set of double-doors and gives 'em a quick knock.

Right this way, please.

Now this is a fancy lookin' room also wooooow that is a GIGANTIC moon!

...Oh, and I really like Anton too. I doubt that's a popular opinion though.

What doesn't hurt is that he's voiced by, uh, Matthew Mercer. This might be hard to tell because this is before directors just went "well, we want Troy Baker but we can't afford Troy Baker."

Welcome to my house.

you're saying people fear the box

That's quite a story, isn't it?
It seems that the design on this box is connected to your family in some way.
Can you... tell me anything about this?

although I parted with it a number of years ago.

Personally, I think it's quite spectacular.
Oh, is that so?

Did I mention before that I like Anton? Because I do. Just invites us to tea, discusses the MacGuffin, takes this kinda thing in stride, has wine over a discussion of life and death...

You know,

Perhaps not. It's hard to say just yet.
I'm sorry I'm not much help, though I confess

I'm sure you've had a long journey.
So please, do stay the night.

A little clap to get the butler's attention is an interesting choice. Usually it's a bell or something.

Huh?
Huh?

End

Dignity of a Castle

It's a room befitting the wealthiest and most influential family of Folsense.
I have a hard time believing a place as gorgeous as this has a vampire lurking about it.

Anton? Doubt it! He seemed like a perfectly nice chap to me.
Wait a second, I thought you didn't believe in vampires. Are you pulling my leg, Professor?
Still, now that you mention it, there is something strange going on here.

So it's been bothering you too, has it? I can't quite understand how it could be possible.

It would seem that both Anton and his castle warrant further examination.
There's that famous Layton intuition acting up again!
I suppose you could say that, though I'd hardly call it famous.

Alright, lets give it a once over shall we?

Not much here, but 4 hint coins is almost a new thing. Almost, because the first hint coin screen in the game also had 4. Very little besides, since we can't leave right now but we can check out that picture on the wall.

I think so. The artist's inscription down here says that this painting is 50 years old.
It looks more or less the same as the Folsense we can see outside our window, though.
Hmm...
What are you thinking, Professor?
Oh, it's nothing. I was just pondering something.

So, Folsense itself seems to have not changed in 50 years? That's pretty strange for sure.

Ah well, we can worry about that later. Right now, we'll check out this other picture.

Have you ever seen such a convincing illustration of a ball?

From what we've seen of this castle, I'm certain the ball was extremely opulent.
My, it's getting late. There's time for a quick puzzle and then it's off to sleep, all right?

This is actually a mandatory puzzle so we'll skip past it for now.

...Oh, what's this? Luke, tell me, do these tow look familiar to you?

It's getting late, Luke. It's been quite a day for us, so perhaps it's time to turn in.
Yeah, I could use some sleep. Good night, Professor.

Dance in the Dreams :siren:
also watch this one too

Dance in the Dreams

So, Anton and other woman are seemingly enjoying themselves. Anton, especially, who is noticably really pale here.

His dancing partner seems to be a bit less enthused though.

What?

Also Layton and Luke are somehow here. They're not entirely sure what's going on either.

Professor...

As the dancing duo pass by Luke and Layton, Lukes notices the pair and is even more confused.

What are they doing together?

It's at this point that Maybe Katia notices that Luke and Layton are here and is very surprised by this.

Silence

Now with added spotlight, the two stop dancing proper and Anton just looks pretty angry for a moment.

Very quickly regains his composure at least.

And my, don't they look fresh.

So, you noticed all those other dancers in the background of the room right?

Because they may just prove to be important.

Hmm...

One quick fade to black later:

A Disquieting Atmosphere

Anton? What sort of madness is this? Grrr! Unnngh!
I knew it! You ARE a vampire!

But I'm afraid it's too late now. I must begin preparations.
In the meantime, why don't you just stay put and enjoy each other's company?
After all, it'll be your last chance.
Grrr...

End

Luke, listen to me. Take a deep breath and collect yourself.
But...
There's no cause for worry, my boy. Whoever tied these ropes was clearly no sailor.
With a little work, I may be able to get free.

Yet another mandatory puzzle slides in here.

Dignity of a Castle

No point to just stand around here, so let's go.

We're trapped in a tiny room with only one thing of note in it. And it's the way out.

Calm yourself, Luke. There's bound to be another way out of this room. Look around you.
I can see the key! If only I could reach it...
Here, let's see if I can reach it.

Puzzle Remix

133 Grab the Key

1. Before you start moving things around, focus on what you need to accomplish first. Start by finding a way to get the yellow block at the bottom into the hole currently occupied by the key.
2. If you feel like you're stuck, you might find it easier to just start over. At the beginning, move the yellow block into the slot near the professor's hand. Next, take the square block on the right and move it to the left. After that, you need to find some way of moving that yellow block into the upper-right area of the puzzle.
3. Once you've completed everything in Hint Two, you should be able to swap the key for that yellow block. Once you've put that yellow block in the slot the key was in, just shift all the other blocks and the key in one direction until the key is positioned at the bottom by the slot.

This is simultaneously one of the harder sliding puzzles in this game and also the easiest. Once you realise how to solve it, it's quick and super-simple. Before then, it's appropriately pretty difficult!

Or at least I think so anyway.

End

Dignity of a Castle

Pretty sure this is the only key for this that makes some degree of sense with the associated puzzle. I'm also definitely sure it's the last key.

Well, now that we're out of that room (door on the top-right leads back to it) we can see a bit more of Herzen Castle's... interesting design. This seems more like a site for some kind of workmen than a place of residence.[/i]

But I don't see any kind of lock on it.
Good point. This door must be controlled by some sort of device positioned elsewhere.
Let's head down from here and see what else is around.

Or to put it simply: this door is locked, go through the green one. It's a different colour so it's clearly important!

This must be the castle's main power source. For some reason though, it's not currently in use.
And what do you make of these other contraptions? They're all so gigantic!

It's probably the same equipment used to create that large hole in the castle's flooring.

So that's why this place is so draughty.
Oh, look at that bizarre smoke coming out of the hole!
Don't get too close to it, Professor. I bet breathing it is probably terrible for you.
Whoever dug this shaft must have been an expert at using that machinery.

Not to be rude, but I don't think we really have the time to admire the miner's handiwork.
Oh yes, quite right, my boy.
Hmmm... I believe we can open the door above us if we get this boiler up and running again.

This gives us a mandatory puzzle as per usual at this stage.

Except for once we can back out of this and do other stuff too. So we'll do that.

This doesn't really change much of anything, since this just gives us stuff we could do afterwards anyway.

Puzzle Remix

1. Many things about the painting are a little off, but what one little detail seems the most unusual to you?

1. Your best bet here is just to look at how the rope is wrapped around the poles. Try using the Memo function to trace out the path the rope takes around things.
2. The man only needs to remove a single post in order to escape.

1. Portions of the pipes connected to 2 also head to 1 and 3. Make sure that you don't open any valves that let steam reach these other areas.

Last photo's puzzle op:

1. The solution for this puzzle requires the frog to jump back the way he came a number of times.
2. Have you ever heard the saying "Take one step forward and two steps back"? That old line applies to this puzzle.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

130: The bottom middle of the painting reveals a partial reflection of the couple, which means they're actually dancing on ice.
131: The post at the bottom left is the only one that the rope actually loops around and thus the only one the man will actually get stuck on when he runs off.
134: Only two valves need to be opened: the one directly below tank 1, and the one directly above the third valve from the left on the boiler.
088: The puzzle never says we have to follow the outlined path, so it's 6 jumps - the first two are to the right, the other 4 go down.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
134: link to a path that clears the puzzle.

088: Left 1, Down 2, Down 3, Right 1, Right 2, Right 3, Left 1, Right 2, Down 3, Up 1, Down 2, Left 3 gets the job done in 12 jumps.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I even noticed the 'go back to start' trick and assumed since it so easily solves the first and second one that it couldn't possibly be allowed.

#130 : The most unusual thing is VAMPIRES SHOULD NOT CAST REFLECTIONS! By the way WTF ACTUAL VAMPIRES?! Also I think the picture's viewpoint is upside-down, based on the dresses on the sides.

#131: The post on the right; the path to the 'outside' of the figure crosses an odd number of lines.

#88: 6 jumps, 12 if he has to follow the purple path.

Photo #9: Bent hand railing, flipped track switch, extra rail? piece of bar? radiator element? at back right

Kangra fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 16, 2016

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

130: I would circle the skirts on the left side of the picture. They seem to indicate that this photo was taken with the camera at ground level, angled up so that the chandelier appears right behind the dancing couple.

131: Only the single post in the 3 o'clock position is "inside" the looped rope. If it is pulled up, the man will be able to run away.

134: Following the pipe from 2, go "east" at the first junction, and you'll be following a pipe section with three valves. Turn those three valves and you'll have opened a path to the middle part of the boiler, without opening a steam path to either 1 or 3.

Photo #9: 1. Lever next to the tracks (right by the big hole) is in a different position. 2. Section of railing near the bottom is bent vs. straight. Haven't found the third one yet.

088: If we aren't confined to the purple path, and the puzzle never says that we are, then a 1-space jump to the right, then 2 R, then 3 D, 1 D, 2 D, 3 D solves the puzzle in 6 jumps.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The castle itself is actually a cheap plywood facade? I never would have guessed.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So two things!

1. As of yesterday, you can buy the Layton film - The Eternal Diva - on Steam for $3.99! That's a goddamn steal and I would recommend it hands down so check it out if you like! For those who care about spoilers, yes, it will casually spoil most of the fourth game, but it was also released in English around the same time as the third game. So make of that what you will.

2. I just wanted to put this and the update in separate posts. :shobon:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Puzzle Remix

2. Thoroughly inspect the couple in the center of the picture. The answer is there somewhere.
3. The couple seems to be dancing in midair, so naturally you must be curious about what they're standing on. Look down at their feet. There's something strange going on where those feet meet the ground... Do you see it?

I am kind of surprised that everyone had separate ideas for what the answer is. Then again, when you get stuff like that guy in the bottom left corner...

The reason I mentioned that weird guy in the bottom left corner is that unless he's an invisible man standing on his head, but his reflection is visible, his position is impossible and just confuses things.

3. The two strands of rope coming off the front of the man's cocoon form a big loop. Think about which posts are located inside the loop and which are outside the loop. All posts on the left half of the picture seem as if they can probably stay where they are.

2. In the solution, the steam is sent from the middle of the three pipes coming out of the boiler.
3. The solution to this puzzle requires that you open three valves. At the first fork in the pipe, head upward.

It does look at first like there's a two-valve solution from either the left or right pipes but they both lead into 3 as well.

Now we could just pop right back into things and continue on but first!

Good news, there's no more of these!

That's 3/5ths of the postgame unlocked now. Only one more section CAN be unlocked before we're in the postgame, of course.

A valid point was made that by all accounts this should work. Nothing in the puzzle says it can't.

3. The frog will need to backtrack a total of two times.

So if you count that out it gives us 6 jumps...

Which is somehow wrong. Now, to be fair (which I don't do often here) the US version apparently DOES specify that you have to stick to the path.

Why it doesn't here when it clearly wants you to? :iiam:

Suspense

When they awake, they're horrified to find themselves tied up in a strange, cramped room.

Dignity of a Castle (High Quality)

Alright, so now that we're done in the room downstairs we can go through the red door on the left.

That brings us here, which contains very little outside of some... rocks? Also, a tiny rug with the goat symbol on it. And a tiny little hatch.

...How exactly did Anton Nigel bring us here? He can't have used what is basically a horizontal catflap, surely.

This hatch serves as the only passage out of here. We'll need to open it to escape.

And this segues into our next mandatory puzzle, which is also the only one in this update.

Spoilers: it's a magic square. This is a puzzle game and we haven't had one yet so it had to be in the castle somewhere.

Speaking of Nigel, kind of, after we crawl through that tiny hatch we come out in the dining room...? And he's just here waiting for us? Okay, sure. We can ignore him and head down from here, but we must talk to our antagonist's butler!

Wow, you're right. It's like a mirror. Who do you think does all this polishing?

Eek! It's the butler!
Yes, it most certainly is. I don't mean to be presumptuous, but what are you two doing up at this hour?
If you're having trouble falling asleep, I suggest a good strong puzzle to clear and relax the mind.
You're... not going to try to stop us or anything?
Stop you? Young sir, I haven't the foggiest notion what you're talking about.
Now where was I? Ah yes, that puzzle.

However, I do recall an old saying the servants used in days past to remember the location of the door.
I will now relate to you that saying, and your task, dear guests, will be to work out the door's location.

I appreciate it Nigel, but I have other things to deal with right now.

Like heading down from there, to get to this hallway. The pathing in this game is weird, since our destination is the bottom of those stairs in the right corner. To get there, we go down again from here.

Our search led us to the castle and we're on the verge of revealing what killed Dr Schrader.
We must search this place thoroughly before we make our escape. Let's see what else is here.
Uh, Professor, I don't know if that's such a good idea...

Uh, yes. Yes, we can. The front door is right there.

We're so close to uncovering the truth about Folsense and the Elysian Box. We must press on.

Okay, so despite what Layton was saying we can in fact just leave the mansion now whenever we want. That's important to know because this spot is where the game dumps us off if we ever load a postgame save. We'll get to that in a moment, but first let's check out Anton's giant painting of Anton.

There he is. The current head of the Herzen family, large as life.

Strange...
Strange? What's so strange about this portrait, Professor?
This picture. It's far too worn to have been made in recent years.

...I'd have thought the sheer fact that the portrait is worn at all to be noteworthy. Every other picture in the entire city is pristine.

I see what you're getting at. He doesn't age...
So he really is a vampire! I knew it! We need to get out of here this instant, Professor!

But running about in a panic has never solved anything.
Why don't we take a moment to clear our heads with this puzzle about portraits.

Layton, I appreciate the need for the final optional puzzle of the (main) game but there's a time and a place.

But this is also wrong. In fact, we're going to head back up those stairs.

Which brings us right to Katia. Well, let's see what she has to say shall we?

Katia?!

What are you two doing here?
I could ask you the same thing! It's dangerous here! There's a vampire living in this castle, you know!

I'm quite puzzled, Katia. What do you know about this man?
Um... It's not for me to say.
Besides, right now you must focus all your efforts on escaping.

Madness? I'm afraid I don't understand. Please be honest with us. What's happening here?
Very well. I'll explain everything, but first you must get as far from this castle as possible. Quickly!

Attempting to Leave
i dont get to say it much here but maybe just watch this instead!!

How are you related to this entire situation? Are you-
There's no time! You've got to get out of here!

Silence

So as we transition into an actual animated scene, the new trio are running along the corridor in the right direction to the stairs.

They just so happen to get there as Anton is coming up them, huh?

And boy is Katia surprised to see him here. You can't see it here but Luke has a great reaction too.

I guess surprise meetings is a trend here, because now Anton is surprised to see Katia. Which makes me wonder how she even got in here.

It's been so unbearably long...
Professor, do you know what he's talking about?
Not in the slightest.

I've missed you so!

Despite clearly knowing more about Anton than we do, this makes even Katia surprised and scared to the point that she hides behind Layton? Well that's clearly a good sign.

I think Anton takes it well.

This is clearly the face of someone taking it well.

Hahahahaha...
Very well then.
Is this how it is?

I'm not sure I understand.

Oh right, apparently Anton just casually carries around a sword with a fancy pommel everywhere in his castle where he lives alone with his butler. Why? I'd say defence but he's a vampire man so that's clearly not it.

Take whichever one you like.
Know this though.
Only one of them

Anton's trying to be cool and Layton's all "gasp, a puzzle!"

End

Puzzle Remix

1. You're out to make each horizontal, vertical and diagonal line of four numbers equal the same number, so first you need to find that number. The total is there for you to find, so just examine the square until you see it.

Told you it was a magic square. I am pretty convinced it's some kind of video game law for every puzzle game to include one in some way.

1. "Begin from the doors etched in the decor." The doors in question are located in the lower-right portion of the picture. But what exactly do you begin doing from here?

1. This appraiser doesn't seem as if he's exactly on the up-and-up. He might very well be trying to appraise things in a way that works to his advantage.
2. None of the paintings the elder brother gets are worth more than any single painting the younger brother receives.

But since this is the last chance we're going to get, let's add some more.

1. Statements A and C are incorrect.

This seems to be a good time for the last informal dip into the DLC.

1. Try creating an equation. There's only one answer. The again, you might just be able to use intuition to guess the answer...

1. The other two ladies keep talking about B. Who could she possibly be? Remember that Judy never lies.

Oh right and then we've also got the plot one:

A Disquieting Atmosphere

1. Can you picture the professor using a curved sword? It doesn't really seem to fit his style, does it?

Hey look, it's the penultimate puzzle of the game and it even gets different music and everything.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

135:

136 - Third from the bottom, fifth from the left, directly under the 'arrow' of single square stars.

w23 - If D is false, then B and C are false. Therefore since only two statements can be false, D is true. If Lisa and Sam are the two children though, then B is true and C is true in additon to D being true, so only one of them is the son/daughter. If B is false, the couple is Lisa/Dan and the kids are Mary/Sam - Sam is younger than Dan so C is true, and A is also true which makes too many true statements. Therefore B is true, A and C are false and the couple is Mary/Sam.

w24:
1. 9x + 7 = 7x + 9
2. 2x + 7 = 9
3. 2x = 2
4. x = 1

w25 - Neither B nor A can be Judy, therefore C is Judy, B is Anna, and A is Ellie who is lying today.

137 - "Blade in hand" leads me to believe it's got to be the sword held in the left hand of the right figure - he's wielding it after all and it looks like it's of a useful length. It might be the one in his right hand though, I can't be sure he's really holding it in his left hand or how literal the game is being here (i.e. does gripping the blade through the scabbard count more than just gripping the pommel?)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

137 - No matter how you slice it, Anton is a giant nerd. Who needs that many ornamental swords? The real one is the one in the hand of the suit of armor.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Dragonatrix posted:

The reason I mentioned that weird guy in the bottom left corner is that unless he's an invisible man standing on his head, but his reflection is visible, his position is impossible and just confuses things.

dude... you got to FLIP it. TURN-WAYS

Like the solution said, the painting was of the reflection, which was rotated after it was framed (The painting, not the reflection). The guy on the right, some distance behind the couple, becomes the guy in the bottom left corner with a reflection that only seems like it's half out of the floor. With the context of the full picture, however, his position becomes clear, as does the fact that the artist should have stuck to only their subjects instead of drawing reflections that don't make sense if they weren't reflections.

No I will not be solving any of the update's actual puzzles, why do you ask?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dragonatrix posted:

So two things!

1. As of yesterday, you can buy the Layton film - The Eternal Diva - on Steam for $3.99! That's a goddamn steal

Yes but the thing about Steam films is that they are only streamed so you have to be online to watch them as opposed to any other digital format you buy.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Dragonatrix posted:

So two things!

1. As of yesterday, you can buy the Layton film - The Eternal Diva - on Steam for $3.99! That's a goddamn steal and I would recommend it hands down so check it out if you like! For those who care about spoilers, yes, it will casually spoil most of the fourth game, but it was also released in English around the same time as the third game. So make of that what you will.

It's not coming up on my steam searches. Is it region-specific or something?

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

135: Well, this is easy. There's already a diagonal filled in, so we know the total is 8 + 3 + 6 + 1 = 18. So now we just fill in the remaining numbers by elimination, starting with the ones where three of the four numbers are placed, and we get:
The only tricky part was where to place the 8 when there were four open spots remaining, but it obviously needed to go in the row and column with the lowest values so far.

136: If you number the squares in chess notation with A1 at the bottom left of the board and B1 immediately to its right, then the hidden door is in square E3: it's where the path is pointing to.

132: The total price of the paintings is 275K. For the older brother to get twice the value of the younger brother's paintings, the four paintings they get must have a total price divisible by 3. So we need to find which number we can subtract to get a price divisible by 3, and we'll know the painting the valuer got. (There might be multiple candidates, so we might need to narrow it down further). Subtracting 20K gives 255K, divisible by 3. Subtracting 60K gives 215K, not divisible by 3. Subtracting 55K gives 220K, not divisible by 3. Subtracting 45K gives 230K, not divisible by 3. Subtracting 95K gives 180K, divisible by 3. So either the valuer got A or E. If he got A, there's no way to divide up the paintings evenly because 255 = 85 + 170 and there's no way to make 85 from the remaining paintings. But if the valuer got E, then the younger brother would need to get 60K of paintings and the older brother 120K, and that's easy: give the younger brother B, and the older one gets A, C and D. So the valuer got painting E, the most expensive one. Someone I suspect that he may have known the terms of the will, and arranged the prices in such a way that giving him E was the only way to fulfill the terms. If I were the brothers, I'd get in a second opinion.

W23: We'll assume that neither child is adopted or the child of an earlier marriage, so both parents are older than both children. So if statements A and C are both true, then Dan must be one of the parents since two people are younger than him. But then statement D would be false, which would mean that Lisa and Sam would be the parents, leading to a contradiction. So at least one of A and C is false. Now let's look at A and B since they would let us conclude something about Mary. If B is true, then Mary is the mother, and so D must also be true otherwise we'd have a contradiction again. Therefore A and C would be false: Mary is older then Dan, and Sam is older than Dan. This all checks out (Mary and Sam are the parents), so "B is true" is probably a correct hypothesis. To prove it, let's look at "B is false". Then Mary is younger than Lisa, and that means Lisa is the mother. The other statement about Lisa is D; if we assume D is false, then A and C would be true. If so, then Sam is the father (from false D), but Sam is younger than Dan (from true C), so that's a contradiction. Therefore in the "B is false" hypothesis, D must be true, and since we know Lisa is the mother and she and Sam aren't a couple, that means Dan must be the father. Therefore Mary and Sam are the kids, and A and C must both be true. But that leaves us with three true statements (A, C and D), and that contradicts the puzzle terms. Therefore the "B is true" hypothesis is the only remaining possibility, which means that Mary and Sam are married to each other, Lisa is their daughter, and Dan is their son.

W24: This one really IS easier with algebra, unlike some of the word problems. 9x + 7 = 7x + 9, so 9x - 7x = 9 - 7, and the mysterious number is 1 (one).

W25: Judy would never claim a false name, so woman B cannot be Judy. Judy would also never claim that someone else is her, so woman A cannot be Judy. Woman C is Judy, therefore woman B is Anna, and woman A must be Ellie.

137: The sword in the hand of the knight on the right must be the real one. The knight on the left is also holding a weapon, but it's not a sword.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hey so today's update is I think the biggest one of all which isn't much of a surprise, but it's also very GIF heavy so for the sake of the thread not choking itself to death I'll just test-post this one as well.

Speaking of which!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
That's quite the rear end-pull. Say, whatever happened to the Folsense fortune?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Discendo Vox posted:

That's quite the rear end-pull. Say, whatever happened to the Folsense fortune?

Assumedly, a decent chunk of it was sunk into the Molentary. The rest likely dried up real quick when it was revealed that the gold mine was gassed bad enough to murder a million canaries, on account of thieves and Anton's weeaboo sword habit.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Nine minus seven is two.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

That's quite the rear end-pull.

This is nothing compared to later games.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

If everything in the gas was a hallucination, what did Layton and everyone else real actually eat while in Folsense? Maybe Layton and Luke specifically didn't eat on camera, but at the end when Chelmey is being chased by a dog Barton is clearly eating something. We have Don Paolo's mask, so presumably he might have been real, but what happened when he 'killed' one of the non-existing people in Folsense? Like, you can say that oh yes he just hallucinated killing someone and the real cast hallucinated the hallucination being dead but you'd think the actions correlated to something in the real world.

I can't actually come up with a better explanation that isn't less grounded in reality but still!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Bruceski posted:

I barely remember the story of those games, but I do recall that they get very weird, very quick.

They still contain really great music though, the names of which are spoilers dear lord yes they are.

Here's the really great song from this game from a live orchestra:

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMNzm5xLoPMk

E:

Oh, Dragonatrix, you might want to fix this line:

" It is at least kind enough to also show things that we only heard about. So now we get to see Chelmey run away from a god in a diaper. "

Jen X fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 21, 2016

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Hey so today's update is I think the biggest one of all which isn't much of a surprise, but it's also very GIF heavy so for the sake of the thread not choking itself to death I'll just test-post this one as well.

Speaking of which!

Thought #1: The world is an illusion? Huh -- I didn't know Layton was Buddhist.

Thought #2: No, no, Sofia, you're doing it wrong. "Guess what, honey? You're going to be a father!" THAT'S how you do it, not some enigmatic designed-to-be-misunderstood nonsense straight out of a Three's Company episode.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, and the series has the urge to keep upping the stakes and the scale of the big mystery, so the Azran Legacy has you jetting around the world in an airship.

GeneX posted:

Oh, Dragonatrix, you might want to fix this line:

" It is at least kind enough to also show things that we only heard about. So now we get to see Chelmey run away from a god in a diaper. "
God in a diaper is the one thing the series hasn't tried yet, but who knows how the wind will blow for the girLayton.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Considering her brother's game, I'm sure Katrielle will mostly manage fine since her game is at least main series so it'll have time and effort put into it hopefully in the right places. Alfendi was a very interesting character but the writing of the latter half really dropped the ball hard. In part because it was obviously repurposed very late in development, and in part because it was just awfully written in general.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Pandora's Box :siren:
unlike the game i don't skip over that sweet piano intro!

2. One diagonal string of numbers appears to be in place already. The numbers within it add up to 18.
3. Now that you know each string of numbers need to add up to 18, all you need to do is fill in the blank spaces with the correct tiles. As you start filling in spaces on the square, you'll be left with fewer and fewer squares to work with. Lay down a line, make sure it totals 18, and then keep on working with what you've got. You'll make your way to the solution sooner or later.

Gotta admit, it's very nice seeing a magic square in a video game that for once doesn't require every combination to be 15.

2. "A path will appear, strong and quite clear, Made of stars that flare, each within it's own square." To simplify this statement, the stars on the floor that are completely enclosed in individual squares will guide you to the hidden door.
3. If you highlight all of the tiles that neatly enclose a star, they will form a large arrow in the floor. The tile that arrow points to is the location of the hidden door.

For obvious reasons, this is the last update that includes actual conversations. There is a bit of dialogue later but it's... different.

Now that you've had that little nightcap, might I suggest returning to your quarters?
These old halls can get quite draughty in the dead of night.
I'll keep that in mind. Good night to you.
Hmm. Hmmmm. Yes. And to you too.

3. The older brother inherits three paintings, and the younger brother inherits one painting.

This just requires some very simple math.

It may not have seemed like the ideal time for a puzzle, but keeping calm in a time of stress is vital.
I appreciate the sentiment, Professor, but right now solving puzzles is the last thing on my mind.

So with that, we've now solved all 138 puzzles in the main game. There's still a few more left than you'd think, because we've got the rest of the DLC to solve along with stuff we've been unlocking here and there.

Speaking of DLC!

Quite possibly one of the easiest puzzles we've ever seen. Not THE easiest, but it's definitely up there.

That's all the currently outstanding puzzles dealt with. So what new ones do we have?

1. Don't look for a place where the lion won't find you. Instead, try looking for a place where the lion can't get you.

1. First try looking at the centers of the patterns. The really hard part is the difference in the triangles around the edges. Look closely at the shades of gray!

1. In the second row, the card above the club must be a diamond, as there's a club below it, a heard diagonally above it, and a spade to its right. To the left of the diamond must be a club, since there's a heard above it, and because you now know that there's a diamond and a spade in the second row. The lone remaining space in the second row has got to be a heart. Proceed in this way to find the answer!

1. You should try as many routes as possible, but if you really can't work it out, there's one place that's a little different from the others. That's the spot!

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
W28:
H S C D
C D H S
D C S H
S H D C

Kangra
May 7, 2012

What Folsense must have looked like.

#29: The turn direction doesn't really* matter, since any given route can be reversed. If we number the nodes (intersections) from top to bottom, left to right, we have point C at Node 4, D at 6, and E at 10 (A and B are not at nodes, and so can be ignored). The starting point must be E, since it has an odd number of exits. Using the numerical notation, one path (making right turns) is 10 -> 9 -> 10 -> 8 -> 6 -> 7 -> 9 -> 8 -> 5 -> 3 -> 6 -> 5 -> 1 -> 2 -> 4 -> 3 -> 1 -> 2 -> 7.

*The rules don't make it clear whether you can circle literally any point; if you could, of instance circle only E but not my node 7, then it matters.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

W26: Hide in the cage that the lion just left. Since the puzzle tells us that you forgot to lock it, that means that you could have locked it -- you have the keys. So just in case you forgot to lock any of the OTHER cages, or the other lions that got left out might still be roaming the zoo, it's safest to go into the now-empty lion cage and lock yourself in so no animals can get to you.

W27: Looking at the center of the pattern and the little "bullet-shaped" things diagonally around the center square, A doesn't match. Then if you look at the triangles around the outer ring of the pattern, and specifically at the one in the SE position of the black-and-white pattern (the SW position of the colored patterns), C doesn't match. So the matching pattern is B.

W28: First card to place is in square B3, which has to be a diamond since it shares a diagonal, row or column with the three other suits. Then it's easy enough to do the rest.
HSCD
CDHS
DCSH
SHDC

W29: Since E is the only odd-arity intersection, that's the obvious starting point. The ending point will be the arity-3 intersection two north of E (and one south of C).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

W26: Climb up the palm tree on that little island. Even if the lion can swim, it probably won't be too good at climbing after that.
W27: B. My head hurts after staring at that.

I'll pass on more Magic Squares and branching path puzzles, thanks.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

A Moment of Rest (Live Version)

You'd think climbing a palm tree on an isolated island would work as well, but lions CAN swim...

Doing that in order to catch the zookeeper would probably require actual malice and forethought on his part though.

It's obvious why A doesn't work just from looking at it. C is a little less clear for all of maybe 3 seconds, I guess.

This one I can't say I like all that much, since it tries to trick you into attempting to trial and error it for a little while, which is stupid. And also not needed at all.

Conversely, this one is perhaps TOO obvious. C seems valid for a moment, but...

C is just before the endpoint of this route. You can't start there, so a left-turn route is impossible here.

1. From the lights, you can tell that the four digits are 3102. Finding the correct order is just a matter of checking the other numbers, though some educated guessing might work just as well.

This is basically just a harder version of the puzzle from the mine. Hard to complain though, since Mastermind is a fun game and all.

1. This puzzle is... a bit mean.

Hint stole my line here. Jerk.

1. Try handling the tiles in different ways. Maybe you'll notice something.

Seen variations of this plenty before. Very ho hum.

1. Drive until you hit a wall, then turn right. Keep going until you hit a wall... Then it's up to you to puzzle out.

'Sthe last DLC puzzle. Seems quick, but we did clear out most of it throughout the main game just to help keep thread stuff up and alleviate the load here.

Bacon In A Wok
Jan 27, 2014
W30: From the third row, the numbers are 0, 1, 2 and 3 in some order. From the fourth row either the third digit is 0 or the fourth digit is 2. Assuming the third digit is 0 means that from the second row the first digit must be 3... but this leads to a contraction when examining the first row. So the solution is of the form xxx2. First row then says we have xx32, second row says x032, and the final answer is 1032.

W32: Swap the 1 and the 2, then rotate the 6 to get a '9', and you have 129 which is 43 * 3.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, who taught Layton to have a sword fight with a vampire? He needs to thank that teacher pronto.

The megabus in W33 drives north 5 blocks, east 4 blocks, south 4 blocks, west 3 blocks, south 1 block, west 2 blocks, north 4 blocks, and east until it's out.

If only it could have turned left to start with

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

Man, who taught Layton to have a sword fight with a vampire? He needs to thank that teacher pronto.

A gentleman is prepared for any situation.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

W30: Third line gives us all the digits in the code, so there are no 4's or 5's anywhere in it. So the other three lines become: 2.3., one correct and one misplaced. 30.., one correct and one misplaced. ..02, one correct and one misplaced. Finally, 3102 also has one correct, and three misplaced.

If 3 is correct in position 1 as lines two and three have it, then 0 can't be well-placed in positions 2 or 3, so it would have to be in position 4. But then line four could not have any correct placements in it. Therefore, 3 is MISPLACED in lines 2 and 3, which means that the 0 placement in line 2 is CORRECT. Therefore, line 4's placement of 2 must be correct. Therefore, line 1's placement of 3 must be correct. And now we have the code:

W31: Um... what? The smallest roll you can make is 1 (on die A) plus 3 (on die B), totalling 4. Why would the hint say that this puzzle is "a bit mean"?

If you're supposed to say "Hey wait, if I just roll die A twice then I could get 1 + 1"... well, the example given in the puzzle wouldn't work then, because if you are allowed to roll die A twice then you could get 5 + 5 = 10, but the puzzle said the highest number you could get would be nine.

And the puzzle said that you can see all the die faces in the image, so it's not like it can pull a "well, there was another face on die B that we didn't show you, and that face had no dots on it at all" trick. And any "those are dots, not numbers" trick would also be ineligible, because the puzzle used the exact same "numbers" phrasing for the "highest number is nine" example.

So I'm going to go with the obvious answer and say "Don't overthink this one; the obvious answer, 4, is correct."

W32: Gonna need to turn that 6 around into a 9, right? Then you can get 43 x 3 = 129.

W33: Tracing back from the exit seems easier to follow. Also, I'm going to call the north/south roads A through G, from left to right; and the east/west roads will be 1 through 6 from south to north.

To get out, the bus can either turn east at E5 (it would have been heading north on E before), or at D5 (it would have been heading south on D before), or at B5 (it would have been heading north on B before). We can reject D5 right away as there's no way for the bus to turn south at D6, so that leaves E5 or B5. B5 looks very plausible -- I've found a route for it just by looking, so let's look at E5 and see if we can reject it. To head north on E, we would have had to come from E3, where we were previously going west. To get there, we would have had to be going south on F and then turned west at F3. The only way to be going south on F would be to turn south at F5, where we were previously going east. But wait: if we were already heading east on 5th street, there's no reason at all to turn south at F5! We would have just continued straight!

Therefore, we can reject E5, and go with the route I saw at B5. In REVERSE order, it goes OUT-B5-B1-D1-D2-G2-G6-C6-IN. Therefore, the shortest route for the bus to take to the goal is IN-C6-G6-G2-D2-D1-B1-B5-OUT. You could add a little F5-F3-E3-E5 loop in there if you want, but then it wouldn't be the shortest route any longer.

And that's it. Thank you for doing this: I had loads of fun solving most of these puzzles. ("Most" because one or two were badly written and/or missed a better solution, but out of over 150 puzzles, that's an excellent ratio).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Don Paolo's Theme (Live Version)

It's really obvious that 3, 1, 0 and 2 are the four numbers you need. The rest is deduction by eliminating the impossible.

This seems like a pretty simple and straight-forward puzzle at first glance, doesn't it? Lowest result should be the result of taking the lowest value available on each die...

But this puzzle is really not that simple or even nice.

The hint wasn't kidding: this puzzle is a mean ol' jerk-face!

43, 86, 129... now how can I keep 129 with these? Oh obviously you rotate the 6. Like we have done for every puzzle like this. Who do they think they're taxing with this?

Path B is quicker, certainly, but like the cleaning robot from before it's impossible for us to indicate that. This puzzle type does not allow diagonal lines. Even if it did that one is unmarkable anyway because of its position.

Also that was the last DLC puzzle so we'll switch back to a save file that's more than one minute into the game.

'Cos that means we can go into the Bonuses section and have a couple of valid options. We'll do Top Secret later though! Weekly Puzzle was just finished so that leaves Layton's Challenges.

Only four fifths of it are available right now, though. We'll do these in a sensible order, I think. Starting with the Musician's House.

Much like in Curious Village, each house contains 3 puzzles. We'll do these in an equally sensible order. Start from the top!

1. Think about the rotation of the earth. The time in locations farther to the east is ahead of that of more western locales. Therefore, given a three-hour time difference, when it's noon in Los Angeles, it must be 15:00 in New York.
2. Taking into account the time difference, the plane left Los Angeles at 15:00 New York time and landed at 20:00. Therefore, the flight itself must have taken five hours.

1. If the top block on chunk D were the block you're searching for, then the block on the bottom-left corner would stick out of the cube. D must not be the correct answer. Remeber, each chunk is locked in its current orientation and can't be rotated.
2. If the block you seek was at the top of C, then D would be forced out of the structure when all the chunks were put back together. Chunk C must not be the answer either.

We'll skip over puzzle no. 141 for now. We'll pick it back up later, don't worry.

1. Try rigging up a linear equation where this mathematician's life in years equals X.
2. Would you rather not use hard math to solve this puzzle? Have no fear--you can also solve this problem without using a linear equation. By adding together 1/6, 1/12, 1/7, and 1/2 of this man's life, you can express the length of the mathematician's life as fractions, minus the parts that were five and four years long. You can find the answer using only this information.

1. Each letter is represented by a single-digit number, so the possibilities for what number represents each letter are fairly limited.
2. If you start by subbing in 1 for A and work your way through ell the other numerical possibilities for A, you'll find your answer before long. What's more, if you use a calculator, trying out every possibility will take only a minute or two. But if you can, try to solve it just using your head.

We'll also skip 144 for the time being.

1. Let's see if we can't simplify this one. The magician wants a number that can be divided neatly by a whole number when one pearl is taken away from the totals. To get the number of pearls he's looking for, you need to find a number that can be neatly divided by all numbers two through seven, and then add one to the total.
2. Now let's think about what the traveler actually brought back. To get his number, you must find a number that can be divided by two, three, five, six, and seven, but not four. Then add a single pearl to that number.

1. There's no need to do any complicated calculations. Visualization is the important part. The three points are each in the center of the sides of a regular cube.
2. The three points are each in the middle of a side on a regular cube. Think about the other center points. What would happen if you continued connecting center points in this fashion?

Well, at least for once they haven't put numbers along AB and BC to cause even further replicas of that Awkward Zombie strip.

...We'll also ignore Puzzle No. 147 'til next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
W31 isn't just mean, it's nonsensical. It shouldn't use the word "two" in the final question.

143:874 I've done that one before, though.
146: 60. Kinda trivial. edit: which is not to say I won't make a stupid mistake at the last possible second.

The others, alas, are mostly :effort: situations- not much clever going on with these, I feel.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 26, 2016

• Locked thread