Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyrannosaurus X
May 27, 2016

Hoss Corncave posted:

I was very disappointed that X6 wasn't no. 1 and the video wasn't 15 minutes of Ground Scaravich's theme.

You may be hearing a little bit of Scaravich soon...

Stormgear posted:

In the classic games, my favorite Robot Master is probably... poo poo, I guess Heat Man. I can't hate someone who is literally a zippo lighter.

Also I really like Star Man and the other MM5 masters, though that may be entirely because of the Megamix and Gigamix comics.

Heat Man is pretty easy to love, yeah. And 5 had a great set. I do really genuinely love Crystal Man. Ariga's deaign for him was so slick. And Gravity Man has such a good stage. I think Mega Man 4 and Mega Man V will always be my big soft spots for the classic series though overall. Cossack's story and the Stardroids are just so great.

Honorable mention to Duo. I absolutely love Duo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My love for Pharaoh Man is purely because I love everything Ancient Egyptian. :v:

But of course there's always this.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I like Flame man (Master of flame), though i suppose much of that relates to his stage's design and his rocking stage music.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like Skull Man. Everything is made of bone and his shield are skulls. What kid could not like that?

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014

Tyrannosaurus X posted:

Heat Man is pretty easy to love, yeah. And 5 had a great set. I do really genuinely love Crystal Man. Ariga's deaign for him was so slick. And Gravity Man has such a good stage. I think Mega Man 4 and Mega Man V will always be my big soft spots for the classic series though overall. Cossack's story and the Stardroids are just so great.

Duo was amazing. Also appropriately unstoppable in the -Mix comics. Really that whole story arc was pretty amazing. If I could pick Ariga!Quick Man, Shadow Man or Shade Man as my favorites, I definitely would put them up there near the top (though still beneath the MM5 crew. Those guys are just excellent).

I hear he's doing a Klonoa movie or something now. That could be interesting.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tyrannosaurus X posted:

You may be hearing a little bit of Scaravich soon...

slick broken knee there

Tyrannosaurus X
May 27, 2016

Stormgear posted:

Duo was amazing. Also appropriately unstoppable in the -Mix comics. Really that whole story arc was pretty amazing. If I could pick Ariga!Quick Man, Shadow Man or Shade Man as my favorites, I definitely would put them up there near the top (though still beneath the MM5 crew. Those guys are just excellent).

I hear he's doing a Klonoa movie or something now. That could be interesting.

Can we also talk about how badass Duo was in his few appearances of the Archie comics?

ALSO: Mith was late for Christmas because of FAMILY and silly stuff like that, but the final episode is on its way!

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I think my favorite Robot Master would be Gravity Man - MM5 was the first Mega Man game I owned, and he was the first boss I beat. Also, his stage and song were great.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Tyrannosaurus X posted:

Can we also talk about how badass Duo was in his few appearances of the Archie comics?

Really, the Mega Man Archie Comics were pretty badass, it's too bad it got put on "hiatus". I liked what they were doing with Blues Proto Man.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Everyone posted:

Favorite robot masters.

Sounds like Rik needs to LP the the classic series.

Anyway, heres your totally on time Christmas video

X-Mas 2016 Mega Advent Calendar:
Day 25

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As you said might be the case, I at least don't really agree about Lumine. I don't think he's really very striking, and in fact I don't know if I'd really call him a rival. Sure, an antagonist, but a rival? I think rivalry implies a bit more of a personal connection than the basic 'hero vs final boss' relationship. I don't know who I'd put in 1st place if Gate and Sigma and Vile aren't options though. Can't pick X & Zero to each other either. Hmm, this is a toughie.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
I think it was just supposed to be "non-8 mavericks" character, honestly Vile and Sigma are the only ones that really fit the definition of "rival". Lumine doesn't do a whole lot in his game but the implications go a long way.

Of course being in the last game gives him a big boost, if we get an X 9 he could very well have all the lasting importance of Gate or Repliforce.

Personally? I'm not a fan of top tens, who the hell am I to pass judgment on such things? But, if it engages people and spurs discussion, I guess I can live with it, and, as editor, be happy of a job well done haha

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

As you said might be the case, I at least don't really agree about Lumine. I don't think he's really very striking, and in fact I don't know if I'd really call him a rival. Sure, an antagonist, but a rival? I think rivalry implies a bit more of a personal connection than the basic 'hero vs final boss' relationship. I don't know who I'd put in 1st place if Gate and Sigma and Vile aren't options though. Can't pick X & Zero to each other either. Hmm, this is a toughie.
:agreed: Lumine simply doesn't have enough screen time to really qualify here. He certainly has potential, given that the canonical "end" to the Maverick Wars of the X series is all about the Elf Wars and has no explicit connection to Sigma, but in X8 he's only present in the opening and at the end.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me... X4 actually has one of the 8-Mavericks shown doing something outside being fought in their boss-room (Magma Dragoon), does that happen anywhere else?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Lumine is a trope inversion of Deus Ex Machina. How did he not manage to create multiple copies of himself as Sigma did? How did his creations not share in that power?

Does anyone remember that repeatedly name dropped utopia that went nowhere in the series, but appeared in others, and in different directions? I do.

Ever noticed the number of people who want Elysium to happen are ideas of Maverick thought? Remember how Zero was completely opposed to it in X4, saying a country of Reploids won't be tolerated by the humans, and is space racist to boot? X in X5 behaves completely differently depending on if Zero lives or dies. Merging with Zero, X fights the good fight and is ready for anything. A sort of growing up and accepting his role in life, instead of flip-flopping between Judge and Pacifist between sequels. Zero being removed from X's consciousness, seems to have started a descent to being unhinged and led to creating his utopia, if Capcom didn't act like Capcom. It is once again a separation from humanity, instead of fixing the endemic social problems.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 27, 2016

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Scalding Coffee posted:

Lumine is a trope inversion of Deus Ex Machina. How did he not manage to create multiple copies of himself as Sigma did? How did his creations not share in that power?

Does anyone remember that repeatedly name dropped utopia that went nowhere in the series, but appeared in others, and in different directions? I do.

Ever noticed the number of people who want Elysium to happen are ideas of Maverick thought? Remember how Zero was completely opposed to it in X4, saying a country of Reploids won't be tolerated by the humans, and is space racist to boot? X in X5 behaves completely differently depending on if Zero lives or dies. Merging with Zero, X fights the good fight and is ready for anything. A sort of growing up and accepting his role in life, instead of flip-flopping between Judge and Pacifist between sequels. Zero being removed from X's consciousness, seems to have started a descent to being unhinged and led to creating his utopia, if Capcom didn't act like Capcom. It is once again a separation from humanity, instead of fixing the endemic social problems.
Lumine probably didn't share this power because he didn't want a chance of his creations and followers using that same ability against him. He can handle an Army of Sigmas but an Army of HIMSELVES would be a problem. It's much easier if he just transferred his consciousness from New Type to New Type directly should something happen. BUT MAN THAT'D BE SILLY IF THAT WAS TRUE, RIGHT GUYS?

I would say you were right if it wasn't for the fact the Zero series exists and we know that the vision of Utopia to X is one where humans prosper despite Reploids having political power mostly for the sake of defending them, because without humans- reploids wouldn't exist in the first place. This is the opposite of what every other character wanting a nation for Reploids actually thinks in that humans are just oppressive, or unnecessary and weak. And even if X did end where it was supposed to at X5 and X "merges" with Zero it still lead to the creation of "Elysium".
It didn't start going to poo poo until Copy X happened which didn't go through the whole 30 year moral programming thus being affected by the kind of poo poo that lead to non-virus ridden Mavericks in the first place.
...Then again had the games stopped at X5 and the creative team had free reign over everything, Copy X wouldn't exist and it would have originally been X showing the decline of his sanity without more external factors which also goes to your point.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
So I was cleaning up after Christmas, and after tossing our tree out our window to the streets below I found a couple of unopened gifts, I guess you guys can have them? One looks pretty lovely though

X's Stocking Zero's Stocking Axl's Stocking Sigma's Stocking

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

MithosKuu posted:

I guess you guys can have them? One looks pretty lovely though

I see nothing wrong with anything here at all.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

MithosKuu posted:

So I was cleaning up after Christmas, and after tossing our tree out our window to the streets below I found a couple of unopened gifts, I guess you guys can have them? One looks pretty lovely though

I love all these things!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The internet is
A
varied place

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
These stocking stuffers are great, this LP was and is still great, and I think I'm going to go watch the whole thing over again. All 50 something hours of it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
And there's the Ground Scaravich theme. Wasn't that nice to hear again?

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

I don't recall if you guys ever talked about it, but what are your opinions on the Zero games? I felt they had probably the most complex stories of the Mega Man franchise, and actually did some pretty neat things with it, as well as having some of the more interesting gameplay of the franchise as well, not to mention they actually avoided the Gannondorf situation that plagued the X games so badly.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Thread posted:

Positive feedback

You is good people whom I muchly appreciate

Lynkericious posted:

I don't recall if you guys ever talked about it, but what are your opinions on the Zero games? I felt they had probably the most complex stories of the Mega Man franchise, and actually did some pretty neat things with it, as well as having some of the more interesting gameplay of the franchise as well, not to mention they actually avoided the Gannondorf situation that plagued the X games so badly.

I'm sure Rik will go into his thoughts on the Zero series when he gets around to checking the thread, but as a collective I'd say we are pretty positive towards it.

Personally I think it really nails the overarching narrative aspect that the X games never really managed to hit. Gameplaywise they are pretty tight, though I'm not sure how much I'm into the elemental rock-paper-scissors aspect they wen't with instead of traditional boss weapons, and the art direction doesn't really jive with me (especially by the time we get to ZX), but overall the series is a worthy successor to the X games and a fantastic addition to ones collection.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My only real complaint about Zero is that there are basically two progression paths in most of the games. Path A is being a godlike entity who never gets hit and never stops moving which allows you to unlock zero's special moves. Path B is being a lovely loser who uses elves which tank your rating and make you feel bad because you're a lovely loser who uses elves.

There is no in-between point on this spectrum and that's a goddamn problem.

e: Zero, not ZX, ZX is amazing.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 5, 2017

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
One of the problems of Zero is that you have to memorize the games to be good at them because of the pathetic screen real estate of the GBA

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kurieg posted:

My only real complaint about Zero is that there are basically two progression paths in most of the games. Path A is being a godlike entity who never gets hit and never stops moving which allows you to unlock zero's special moves. Path B is being a lovely loser who uses elves which tank your rating and make you feel bad because you're a lovely loser who uses elves.

There is no in-between point on this spectrum and that's a goddamn problem.

e: Zero, not ZX, ZX is amazing.
Zero 3 managed a decent in-between point, between the ability to cart around up to two elves without losing points, that one elf (one-shot, but with four copies) who just gives you an A-rank, and averaging your scores. Zero 4 did something similar but in a more wonky fashion. (I agree that this was a notable problem with 1 and 2, which is part of why I feel Zero 3 was the best.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I thought the tag-along elves in 3 only took effect when you were in cyberspace, which tanked your ranking. I liked 4's system because you could just overclock the partner elf to 21 and back again without any real consequences.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

You get access to all potential tag-along elves in cyberspace, but you can otherwise spend currency to turn permanent elves into satellite elves. The latter don't affect your score at all, though you're limited by the two slots available.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Yeah, there are a few questionable gameplay decisions, but overall they are great games, I'm sure we'll have plenty more to say about them when we get around to LP'ing them some time in the future.

In other Mega Man news, the classic games got ported, again, to mobile devices, and are apparently a steaming pile of garbage ported from flip phones. Praise be to Capcom.

Anyway, I think that's going to be about it for content updates for this thread. Rik, Brady, and I are all eager to start on the next LP, and since we've now done Mega Man stuff for two Christmases in a row it's now technically a tradition for us, need to have some content for next Christmas. I'll probably pretty up the first post then submit it to the lparchive. In a couple of weeks We're going to start up a short filler LP while we record Pikmin, after that who knows, wouldn't mind collabing with ACES or Gamesfreak again.

But seriously guys, this past year has been a blast, I can't begin to tell you how much all your comments and feedback mean to us. If our next few games aren't your style I'm sure we'll come back to Mega man soon, there is enough love between our group for Zero, ZX, Legends, and Battle Network that coming back is inevitable. Besides, I don't like leaving a job half finished.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Zero games sure sound like a bag of fun. I know almost nothing of the franchise beyond MM, X, and Legends.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Zero games sure sound like a bag of fun. I know almost nothing of the franchise beyond MM, X, and Legends.

The Battle Network games are also pretty fun for the most part, though I'd skip 1 and 4. 1, because it's rather unpolished, and more of a "concept" than anything else, and it's drat near impossible to figure out where you're going most of the time, thus making it really easy to get lost.

4, because it's a terribly translated, coded, and just really unfun game to play, and has basically no redeeming qualities to it. I mean the game is so poorly coded, that one dungeons frame rates drop to 1 every few minutes if you play it on the DS. I know this because I beat 4 on the DS. :v:

Outside of those two though, the rest of the games are pretty fun, and make for a unique twist on the RPG genre.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Hey sick lp dudes, thanks for doing it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not much to say, except thanks for the superb LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
It's been a great run filled with a lot of solid play and really interesting information and insight into the series from every angle. Thanks for all of it, guys.

• Locked thread