Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyrannosaurus X
May 27, 2016

Scalding Coffee posted:

X5 sure has some good music, as every MM game does.
How many tracks in the franchise are only available for the JP version? I heard all this music, but it seems like I am missing a ton of them that never reached here.

Honestly most of what you hear is what's in the games we got. But our source OST has been Capcom Music Collection Rockman X1~6 for the most part. The odds and ends from X7-CM have all been picked up through research. Fate to Fight wasn't on the CM OST I had, for example. I had to find it on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

You cracked the code! If you take all the audio for the entire Irregular series, arrange them in upload order, then play it backwards at 5000% speed you will head "Paul is dead, also Xtreme 2 is in the number 1 OST slot"

You forgot that Frost Walrus represents death and that Xtreme 2 claimed to be him.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

FeyerbrandX posted:

You forgot that Frost Walrus represents death and that Xtreme 2 claimed to be him.

Tonion represents the duality of existentialism and man's inhumanity to man, its very deep.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The zen of Ride Boarski. You Punk You.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
And the literary theme of this entry is the cautions of technological advancement and man's inability to control his creations

X-Mas 2016 Mega Advent Calendar:
Day 19

Tyrannosaurus X
May 27, 2016
I love the thread right now. It's my favorite.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
This one is pretty rancid

Day 20

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
I agree, that was fairly repulsive.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What was his Japanese name again? That makes a lot of sense now.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
His Japanese name is Vava, which got localized to Vile because Vava doesn't sound as sinister

...Which lead to problems later on in Megaman Zero 3 where they introduced Dr. Vile in Japan who then got localized as Dr. Weil for us which in my opinion sounds just a little too close to Dr. Wily. They should have gone full circle and localized him as Dr. Vava, that would have been awesome.

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 21, 2016

Tyrannosaurus X
May 27, 2016

MithosKuu posted:

His Japanese name is Vava, which got localized to Vile because Vava doesn't sound as sinister

...Which lead to problems later on in Megaman Zero 3 where they introduced Dr. Vile in Japan who then got localized as Dr. Weil for us which in my opinion sounds just a little too close to Dr. Wily. They should have gone full circle and localized him as Dr. Vava, that would have been awesome.

This is furthered by the fact that VAVA (it's all caps) in Japanese can also commonly be said as BABA, which. You know. Bubba.

We didn't include any quotes, but there's an interview (here: https://youtu.be/uVEfMIIGh6o?t=98 ) that explains the reasoning a little more.

Basically, in Mad Max, all the other villains were dirty and off-putting, and Bubba was cleaner and really cool, and the designer wanted a major rival antagonist to be similarly stand-outing. So it was less a direct design reference (like people assume with Boba Fett), and more thematic.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MithosKuu posted:

so in ZX was it Model V?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Kurieg posted:

so in ZX was it Model V?
By the above precedent it would have been Model B, since in Japan he was Dr. Bairu.

Tyrannosaurus X
May 27, 2016

NGDBSS posted:

By the above precedent it would have been Model B, since in Japan he was Dr. Bairu.

Actually no. In Japanese, it was absolutely Model V. The full pronunciation was Moderu Bui, but in spelling it was V. So. Actually I guess you're both right.

The thing about the VAVA / BABA thing is that in regards to spelling, the V is correct. But the actual pronunciation can either be a V or B.

Also man. Hearing ZX even get mentioned excites me. Nobody talks about ZX. Lol. What a fun weird hokey pair of games.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It should happen more often, ZX is an amazing pair of games.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
ZX was fun, ZX uh... A? Seemed even cooler, but when the world opened up a bit I just couldn't find a boss I was able to beat and eventually gave up. :( Didn't help that around the time I got to playing the game I had a major burnout from videogaming in general.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
There are so few days left that this series is endangered

Day 21

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I feel like I need to play more MM games. It having the money glitch is a plus.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I really really wish it were easier to get the pc version of 8. It's the only one I don't have that I wish I did.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Zanzibar Ham posted:

ZX was fun, ZX uh... A? Seemed even cooler, but when the world opened up a bit I just couldn't find a boss I was able to beat and eventually gave up. :( Didn't help that around the time I got to playing the game I had a major burnout from videogaming in general.

Always wanted those games, Megaman + Metroidvania sounded like a dream come true.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Zain posted:

Always wanted those games, Megaman + Metroidvania sounded like a dream come true.

They're fun, but have their own issues. Pacing is often times weird, and some of the armors, especially in ZXA feel like an afterthought more than like an actual thought out concept meant to add something to it.

Though the ZX games have some of my favorite songs in the franchise, and the first ZX game brings back Omega Zero as a bonus boss, and lets you get his armor, which is incredibly bitching. Though fair warning if you do decide to play them, ZXA has actual voice acting in every cutscene. It gets grating fast.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The addition of an english voice cast means that ZXA also replaces the hilariously engrish "Rock-ON!" with "Megamerge".

Tyrannosaurus X
May 27, 2016
Hey everyone! I'm currently at the airport ready for a holiday trip. That means that all the rest of our voice overs are done, and visual assets are turned in. You're looking forward to a wonderful Christmas!

If I don't have the time to check in regularly while I'm away, I hope everybody enjoys the remainder of the event, and has a great holiday!

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Things are really starting to heat up

Day 22

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

how did you go the entire video describing storm tornado except using footage of and repeatedly saying flame thrower?

Guess I need to give it another look when I replay X again, but seriously everything aside from the "first burst deals more damage than holding it down" practically everything else applies.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I know that this is about X, but when I think of a flame weapon, it would have to be Zero doing his upstab.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Scalding Coffee posted:

I know that this is about X, but when I think of a flame weapon, it would have to be Zero doing his upstab.

Considering that the thing that changes the most about zero is his giga attack that isnt saying much.

But yeah the flame upslash is probably the most iconic zero move next to the spin slash

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I can't wait for Flame Hyenard to get the number one slot of anything.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Zain posted:

I can't wait for Flame Hyenard to get the number one slot of anything.

Man I really need to start hiding the clues better, you guys just keep guessing all my plot twists, no one should have been able to guess the #1 OST was my dope remix of the X6 sound track using only Hyenard's voice clips as instruments.

Day 23

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I'm surprised that you put those two together in a slot, because they clearly aren't going for the same tone and likely don't share all the same instruments. Yes, all of the Mega Man X games are going for something in the vicinity of hard rock to distinguish the series from classic Mega Man, but there's a lot of variety within that umbrella for each game to stake its claim. (For the record, my personal favorite is X3's delve almost into metal.)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MithosKuu posted:

Man I really need to start hiding the clues better, you guys just keep guessing all my plot twists, no one should have been able to guess the #1 OST was my dope remix of the X6 sound track using only Hyenard's voice clips as instruments.

Day 23

I figured it'd be either X2 or X6, glad to be a third right? Fourth?

Still, surprised X6 didn't make it to any place, though in hindsight while it has some cool sounds, the good stuff is mostly really short (or at least feels like it). But I also feel they manage to pack a lot into those short loops.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If I'd said Xtreme 1 I'd have been 100% correct. Still calling it a moral victory cause Xt2 uses X2's music for the intro and fortress.

E: and has the better version of overdrive ostrich's music

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'm back, after my terrible vacation where I couldn't watch a drat thing due to terrible internet.

At least I'm not gonna be late to the last one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So X2 bubble crab and crystal snail are, imo, the most influential tracks in any X game.
Listen to almoat any snes and ps1 era game after X2 that has an ice/crystal or water level. Its an almost certainty youll hear something similar.

Hell duff mcwhalens stage theme is a remix of bubble crabs

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Those are great, but I prefer X4.
Nintendo went all out with showing off that FX chip or whatever they called it when it got made. Look at the wire frame models.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Just realized I put the wrong intro tracks in the previous video, I'll fix it after Christmas

Day 24

Last one should go up either late on the 25th or early on the 26th, depending on how much time I spend with my family tomorrow

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No surprise on this pick. :cheeky:

I'll be honest, I hadn't really thought about which specific Maverick is my favorite. In Classic Mega Man it's easy (Pharaoh Man), but in X there's a lot of top tier ones, so picking a top spot is a lot tougher for me.

Tyrannosaurus X
May 27, 2016

Zanzibar Ham posted:

No surprise on this pick. :cheeky:

I'll be honest, I hadn't really thought about which specific Maverick is my favorite. In Classic Mega Man it's easy (Pharaoh Man), but in X there's a lot of top tier ones, so picking a top spot is a lot tougher for me.

If we're talking Classic it's a tie between Pharaoh and Tengu for me. The upper ranks were tough for me to iron out, but there's something so ingrained in me for Centipede. My list as a whole honestly. But that's a good sign right? It shouldn't be super easy to boil down favorites. It means a ton did things right.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I figured it'd be either X2 or X6, glad to be a third right? Fourth?

Still, surprised X6 didn't make it to any place, though in hindsight while it has some cool sounds, the good stuff is mostly really short (or at least feels like it). But I also feel they manage to pack a lot into those short loops.

I was very disappointed that X6 wasn't no. 1 and the video wasn't 15 minutes of Ground Scaravich's theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
In the classic games, my favorite Robot Master is probably... poo poo, I guess Heat Man. I can't hate someone who is literally a zippo lighter.

Also I really like Star Man and the other MM5 masters, though that may be entirely because of the Megamix and Gigamix comics.

• Locked thread