Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Triple A posted:

It goes thru fuel fast, does that count? :v:

Nearly 3 l/mil :stare:

gluglugluglug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Pimpmust posted:

Nearly 3 l/mil :stare:

gluglugluglug

Well, if it can put all that power to the ground; It will be quite decent in the hill-climbs.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Modus Motors is working on their entry into the touring class. Making 171hp and running a 9:05 at the green hell. There is plenty of room for improvement. The little 1.5 i4 is swimming in the engine bay so I'm hoping there's room for a ridiculous engine in there for the open class.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
Just whipped up an entry for the sportsman class. Introducing the Schadenfreude:

Features a 4000cc naturally aspirated engine (because I don't understand turbochargers). Our unique selling point, which you may have already noticed, is that every part of the car is cooled extremely well. The vents in the car doors serve as a cheap and environmentally friendly substitute for air conditioning. I'm sure this one will work a treat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Okay, okay, I think I'll pick this up when I get home.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So as someone who knows very little about the actual inner workings of cars, how high is the barrier of entry to this? Because this seems absolutely fascinating.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

CascadeBeta posted:

So as someone who knows very little about the actual inner workings of cars, how high is the barrier of entry to this? Because this seems absolutely fascinating.

This game has decent tutorials so you'll be fine. It's the min-maxing that's the challenging part.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
So this game is like Kerbal Space Program for people who like cars instead of rockets?

Does anyone have a feeling for how long it will be before they get the tycoon aspects included? I know that that's a crazy question to ask since Early Access is completely unpredictable in every way, but I think I'm going to hold out for those aspects before I buy.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Cathode Raymond posted:

So this game is like Kerbal Space Program for people who like cars instead of rockets?

Does anyone have a feeling for how long it will be before they get the tycoon aspects included? I know that that's a crazy question to ask since Early Access is completely unpredictable in every way, but I think I'm going to hold out for those aspects before I buy.

It will end up something like KSP, but not quite, and as it stands, the end result is quite a ways off still.

The tycoon aspects are slowly starting to roll out, with a little more promised with each update cycle, which is typically every 2-4 months. As it is right now, there isn't much; just the markets and some rudimentary production and cost calculations have been added in and made part of the game. I would say it's going to be a minimum of 12-18 months before we see anything approaching a fully functional tycoon mode.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Will we all be getting some advice/scrutinizing on Test Day, or just 'this is how you did'?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

AdventFalls posted:

Will we all be getting some advice/scrutinizing on Test Day, or just 'this is how you did'?

Yes. Not only will each car have a test report made up for them, detailing stuff such as fuel and tire consumption, a reliability report (or a report detailing what went wrong if the car had to make an unscheduled stop or was disabled) and some cryptic hints to make it go faster, but I think I will write up a news-article style post, in the style of what you'd see in Autosport or some other magazine detailing the results of the test day and adding some flavour as well.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I made a Pontiac G8.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Eskaton posted:

I made a Pontiac G8.

Hey; it's just the guy I needed to see!

Eskaton, I had an issue with your entry; apparently you used a third-party mod for your grille, which I don't have. The upshot of this is your car, as I received it, has no cooling, which means I cannot finish the scrutinising process for it.

Since it becomes a hassle trying to keep track of who uses which mods from the Workshop from my end, I have banned mods of all kind.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

MrChips posted:

Hey; it's just the guy I needed to see!

Eskaton, I had an issue with your entry; apparently you used a third-party mod for your grille, which I don't have. The upshot of this is your car, as I received it, has no cooling, which means I cannot finish the scrutinising process for it.

Since it becomes a hassle trying to keep track of who uses which mods from the Workshop from my end, I have banned mods of all kind.

Yeah, I made a 1.2L Turbo car I'll send instead.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I made an abomination of a car and am gonna sit on it until tomorrow when my brain's not so fried from trying to learn how to make an engine not suck. :psyboom:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

OK, all the entries I have received have been tabulated, and the entry list on the first page has been updated. Also, I have a rules update for you...changes are highlighted yellow:

Touring Class maximum all-up weight has been increased to 850 kg. This now means that if you want the maximum fuel capacity, the highest weight that will allow a Touring car to have that is now 805 kg, instead of 755 kg.

Eskaton posted:

Yeah, I made a 1.2L Turbo car I'll send instead.

I wouldn't get too far with that for a Touring-class car; turbocharging is not allowed. :)

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

I made an abomination of a car and am gonna sit on it until tomorrow when my brain's not so fried from trying to learn how to make an engine not suck. :psyboom:

So shoot for the open class. The touring class is possibly the hardest class to get a competitive edge in due to the restrictions.
That is where all the fun is though because if you've figured something out that makes your vehicle crazy fuel efficient and powerful you are sitting pretty.
What I've done for the last several months is just design car after car after car after car to meet the restrictions but produce power and be fuel efficient.
The tutorials, as suggested, are extremely helpful and I will rewatch them from time to time to get a refresher.

...One of these seasons we should do a template class for those chassis setup gurus...

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

MrChips posted:

I wouldn't get too far with that for a Touring-class car; turbocharging is not allowed. :)
Great, now I have no idea why I made it a few months ago when I first saw this in AI.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Entry list updated; found in the third post as always. I have 13 entries so far from 8 players; three of you guys are still eligible to submit a second entry, if you still wish! Also, I an *just* about finished tuning my entries; I will unveil them probably later tonight.

Eskaton posted:

Great, now I have no idea why I made it a few months ago when I first saw this in AI.

The removal of turbocharging in Touring class was one of the biggest changes between this version of the challenge and the unsuccessful version in AI from a few months ago.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I wish I had the dosh to drop on this so I too could blow out engines in less than a second in testing. :v:

I eagerly look forward to the blazing fires when poo poo fails on the track.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Kitfox88 posted:

I wish I had the dosh to drop on this so I too could blow out engines in less than a second in testing. :v:

I eagerly look forward to the blazing fires when poo poo fails on the track.

I don't remember any fires in the game MrChips hosted in ai, but I did have a one of my cars lose a few minutes in the pits due to some body damage. Not from racing hard though, it was just poor engineering(no quality points). Other guys had some crashes, and one of the races had a huge crash on the first lap that took out a good chunk of the top of the leaderboard according to my foggy memory.

I got my touring car down to 8:55 with some tweaking, not sure if I can squeeze anything else out of it with my limited knowledge of the game. My sportsman entry is rocking an 8:17 and I haven't started tuning anything on it yet, just got it to run basically. It has a serious thirst for fuel though, and suffers from epic wheel spin.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
The Victorian Hoorays have passed scrutineering after some last minute design changes to their touring class entry.
Lucky their test mule still had an all steel shell they could swap in. Magazine press flyers due soon.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Modus Man posted:

I don't remember any fires in the game MrChips hosted in ai, but I did have a one of my cars lose a few minutes in the pits due to some body damage. Not from racing hard though, it was just poor engineering(no quality points). Other guys had some crashes, and one of the races had a huge crash on the first lap that took out a good chunk of the top of the leaderboard according to my foggy memory.

I got my touring car down to 8:55 with some tweaking, not sure if I can squeeze anything else out of it with my limited knowledge of the game. My sportsman entry is rocking an 8:17 and I haven't started tuning anything on it yet, just got it to run basically. It has a serious thirst for fuel though, and suffers from epic wheel spin.

Just de-tune the engine a little bit then, if you have fuel issues.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Alright, as promised, here are my entries. First up, I give you the CMW Motorsport M4000:

This compact, lightweight race car, derived from CMW's popular 900-Series line of sports cars, is powered by the all-new B52 motor; a compact, all-aluminum 4.0 litre V6, generating well over 400 horsepower and more than 320 pound-feet of torque, while revving to a dizzying 7600 RPM. The M4000's smooth, aerodynamic form gives the car a top speed of almost 175 mph, while helping the car return respectable fuel economy. Truly, a formidable opponent in the Sportsman category.

Also unveiled for the first time, I give you the M4000's big brother, the P4000T:

A direct descendant of both the 900-Series road car and the M4000 Sportsman-class racer, the P4000T is CMW Motorsport's entry into the Open class. Packing twin turbochargers and intercooling, this highly tuned variant of the B52 produces "more than 650 horsepower", according to official documentation. According to unnamed sources in the team, the engine has dyno tested at well over 700 horsepower, but it remains to be seen if there is any benefit to that much power, as the basic 900-Series body has severe limitations to tire size, which makes traction hard to come by.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Triple A posted:

I submitted it at full power for the testing day, now I can work out how much to de-tune it during the revision period. I might just decide to leave it bonkers and have my drivers drift the car the entire race stopping every lap for tires and fuel. never lift!

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

Triple A posted:

Yeah, I've had to do this already to get my car into a semi-reasonable economy in prep for testing day. Good news, its now just about 2L per mile. The downside is I've lost ~440cc.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Advantage

The 1975 Modus Motors Advantage, presented here in Statutory Grape, is a touring class car. It is a 2 door, 2 seat coupe. The power plant is a 1.5L 4 cylinder that makes 186hp @7700 and 126 ft/lb @7400. It has been tested and tuned at the Nurburgring where it has been rumored to run sub 9 minute laps.

Advantage S

This handsome Tuxedo Black coupe is the 1975 Modus Motors Advantage S. It is essentially an Advantage but with an aluminum body instead of steel, and slightly wider hips that fit 225 section tires versus 185. Oh, and let's not forget the main difference that catapults this car into the Sportsman class; the Viking under the long hood. "Viking" is the name of the 4.0L V12 that pumps out 517hp @8800 along with 343 ft/lb @7800. With a top speed of a blistering 203 miles per hour the pilot of the Advantage S will be hard to catch.

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 13, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just got the game this afternoon and hoping to shove something in for Touring. I'm deliberately trying to go against the flow just to see what happens.

Couple of quick questions:
What does "extra weighting" on QPs mean? I haven't spent more than 30 overall yet.
Do headlights/taillights/doorhandles affect performance? I already have cooling sorted with a grille and no lips (as per the rules)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Apologies for double post, but 9 min-ish Green Hell isn't bad, right? At least I'm above target reliability on engine and overall

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

simplefish posted:

Apologies for double post, but 9 min-ish Green Hell isn't bad, right? At least I'm above target reliability on engine and overall

It's decent. Fuel economy is what's going to matter in the long races.

And consider doing a single-car entry for the Open class because it's the one with the least amount of people.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Enter wherever you like, I'm nowhere near capping entries just yet in any class! But yes, some more Open cars would be great.

simplefish posted:

Couple of quick questions:
What does "extra weighting" on QPs mean? I haven't spent more than 30 overall yet.
Do headlights/taillights/doorhandles affect performance? I already have cooling sorted with a grille and no lips (as per the rules)

Extra weighting means that Quality Points spent (or not spent) in those categories will have more effect on the reliability calculation that goes on in my race simulation than categories without extra weighting. It has no effect on how many QPs you can spend.

Fixtures actually have a very slight effect on performance, but it is so small it ends up getting lost in the lap time randomiser in my simulation, so it isn't important, so don't be afraid to take some creative license with your design!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

You've heard of FIAT - Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino - but a contemporary you may not have heard of is FISH: Fabbrica Internacional Shitpili Horrificos

Most car manufacturers have their beginnings in tractors, bicycles, or the mind of a particularly gifted mechanic. Not so FISH.

FISH's story begins in the war-ravaged ruins of post-WWII Europe. The origins of FISH are sketchy at best, and their history only convolutes matters. Formed in Spain - and somehow Italy - on the same afternoon in 1946, and perplexingly in France the following morning, each copy of the archived founding documentation has several differences to the others - and none of them reflecting what the company insists is true today. Not only the beginnings, but also the unlikely continued existence of the company despite their lack of sales (and sometimes, lack of a model to sell) have led to rumours of external parites artificially propping-up FISH - and also several dead-end Interpol investigations.

It has been speculated variously over the years that FISH was a money-laundering apparatus for the Sicilian Mafia; mis-appropriated war re-building funds meant to reconstuct Blitz'd French cities; Dictator General Franco's first attempt at a national car industry, with SEAT a (resultingly much-needed) backup plan in case of its failure; a false flag European manufacturer deliberately designed to be difficult to manage with cross-border politics, pointless subsidies and poor styling - founded by Ford and GM to make them look better against the growing Euro competition; an attempt by Portugal to develop military vehicles, pre-Bravia, so that they wouldn't have to pay France for Panhards in the colonial wars; and most recently as a failed secret R&D farm for design budget-restricted series (or tax purposes, it is Italy after all) by lamborghini or Ferrari - each, naturaly, accuses the other.

But whatever its history, the opaque management and pay structure resulted in engineers being funded and tasked to design - and indeed they produced - a small car. It's very thirsty, looks unremarkable (or, perhaps, remarkably like the Fukushima Dandy GTi), and the suspension was set up over an unusually productive Mediterranean lunchtime, aided no doubt by the usually-present carafe or three of wine.

All things considered, it's a little more expensive, a little heavier, than most other tourers entered so far, but even that it has been cobbled together in what the company is reporting as two days is in itself a small miracle. While FIAT last year in 1974 announced the SOFIM engine, the FISH Orso has a shoehorned-in a SoDit engine (which they swear has not been copied in any way).

(Files to be sent in the next few minutes)

e: Files sent, but...
I've run into a couple of weird problems:
Firstly one intermittent one where when I load it up cooling requirements shift by over 100, and drivability is sometimes down to like 2 or 3 despite being high when I saved.
Secondly a more frequent one where following a load-up, simply scrolling back through the trim tabs (changing nothing) makes car performance improve from lower than when I saved it to what it was when I saved it
Let me know if you have any of these problems with the file, Chips.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 15, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Entry list updated, on the first page.

simplefish posted:

e: Files sent, but...
I've run into a couple of weird problems:
Firstly one intermittent one where when I load it up cooling requirements shift by over 100, and drivability is sometimes down to like 2 or 3 despite being high when I saved.
Secondly a more frequent one where following a load-up, simply scrolling back through the trim tabs (changing nothing) makes car performance improve from lower than when I saved it to what it was when I saved it
Let me know if you have any of these problems with the file, Chips.

The only issue I had with your car was that it would periodically lose fixtures like grilles and head/taillights, which would cause most of the issues you describe. This is usually caused by adding fixtures (either partially or in full) in both fixture tabs. It's easy to work around actually from my end, but my advice is to stick with adding trims in one tab or the other, but not both.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 16, 2016

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Did you not get my files?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh, I hadn't noticed there were two before... why is that?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Kilonum posted:

Did you not get my files?

I have not, and they were not in the spam folders either. Try resending them.

simplefish posted:

Oh, I hadn't noticed there were two before... why is that?

The idea is that you can have a base fixture set for a car model, then make little changes for each trim level of the same model. Usually, it works well, but every once in a while it goes absolutely haywire.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MrChips posted:

I have not, and they were not in the spam folders either. Try resending them.

and I just noticed why, I sent them to the wrong sheep game email :goleft:

fixt

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

And my two entries.

First, the 518 GTO, powered by a 5.2L DOHC 48V V12

Secondly, the 150 Touring, powered by a 1.5L DOHC 24V V6

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

One week left to get your entries in; they must be sent to AISheepGame@gmail.com no later than 11 PM Pacific Time on Saturday, January 23rd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I wasn't going to enter another car but I just made a stupid engine so I'll shove it in Open if I can get it finished

e: here's a teaser...

Shown here in Questionable Mustard, and also available in Ill-advised Avocado, the FISH SLAMvan boasts a frankly pointless engine which, compared to the competition, seems underpowered and uneconomical. But just look at it!

Rumour has it that the designer drew one front-end, didn't like it, turned the page upside down, and drew another. And then was fired. The modelling department just made what was left on his desk.

And why yes, it is a V8!

simplefish fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 20, 2016

• Locked thread