Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Wow, forgot that power steering wasn't allowed. Lap time just skyrocketed, but I haven't set the suspension up yet (but I mean I really don't know what I'm doing with that either so it's possible laptime will only get worse...)

This thing is so front-heavy it's unreal

e: and so thirsty. Not sure it's going to be viable to continue with this engine philosophy

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

simplefish posted:

I wasn't going to enter another car but I just made a stupid engine so I'll shove it in Open if I can get it finished

e: here's a teaser...

Shown here in Questionable Mustard, and also available in Ill-advised Avocado, the FISH SLAMvan boasts a frankly pointless engine which, compared to the competition, seems underpowered and uneconomical. But just look at it!

Rumour has it that the designer drew one front-end, didn't like it, turned the page upside down, and drew another. And then was fired. The modelling department just made what was left on his desk.

And why yes, it is a V8!

Really like what you did with the box flare car there.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So with the entry deadline rapidly approaching, I am happy to say that I have everything done to make this work on my end. I have modeled all the custom tracks I needed to and the simulation is tuned and ready to run (including a couple of neat little changes). For those of you still on the fence, there is still time to get your entries in!

Now, some information about the testing day:

All of the entries will be loaded into the simulation, and run for a simulated, three hour race of Brands Hatch GP. Each entry will get a report from the testing day, stating fuel and tire consumption, any reliability concerns that came up and a quick overview of any issues that the car might have encountered - for example, if your car has far more cooling than it needs, there will be a note on the test report stating something like "the driver noticed the car struggled to reach and maintain a proper operating temperature", or "the car handles well, lacks top end speed; suggest aerodynamic improvements".

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

:siren: ONE DAY LEFT TO GET YOUR ENTRIES IN! :siren:

If you don't see your name on the list below, or you are marked as having failed scrutineering in any way, let me know as soon as possible! Additionally, any cars that do not pass scrutineering will be scored as excluded and will not be allowed to participate in the test day coming up!

Also, can I just say an enormous GODDAMNIT I MIGHT HAVE SCREWED MYSELF IN THIS? As I was loading entries into the simulation model, I came to realise that I had totally forgot that my simulation model takes weight distribution into account for tire wear. This means that my cars are going to eat tires like a fat kid eats candy - to let my BIG SECRET out of the bag, both of my entries are rear-engine, rear-wheel drive, and have weight distributions in the 30:70 range.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

MrChips posted:

:siren: ONE DAY LEFT TO GET YOUR ENTRIES IN! :siren:

If you don't see your name on the list below, or you are marked as having failed scrutineering in any way, let me know as soon as possible! Additionally, any cars that do not pass scrutineering will be scored as excluded and will not be allowed to participate in the test day coming up!

Also, can I just say an enormous GODDAMNIT I MIGHT HAVE SCREWED MYSELF IN THIS? As I was loading entries into the simulation model, I came to realise that I had totally forgot that my simulation model takes weight distribution into account for tire wear. This means that my cars are going to eat tires like a fat kid eats candy - to let my BIG SECRET out of the bag, both of my entries are rear-engine, rear-wheel drive, and have weight distributions in the 30:70 range.

Take all of your drivers out to IHOP for all-you-can-eat pancakes and tell them they are not allowed to leave until they run out of batter. weight distribution :science:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Modus Man posted:

Take all of your drivers out to IHOP for all-you-can-eat pancakes and tell them they are not allowed to leave until they run out of batter. weight distribution :science:

I wish I could solve the problem like Porsche did - bolt a hundred pounds of lead weights into the front bumper :v:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Threw the SLAMvan in, don't have high hopes for it. I didn't have time to think about the suspension at all, plus I'm running into the same cooling bugs as the Orso

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
Submitted the Polksvagen Advantage for touring class. It went through a lot of iterations but I'm happy with it. It seems like once you have a working engine lay out, finding the right body becomes the most important part.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
I look forward to all my cars going 'oh god this thing is terrible'

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Entries are now closed, we will have a grid of 44 cars, hopefully:

Anyone who has yet to pass scrutineering, please submit a qualifying entry as soon as possible! Otherwise, I am now loading the last few cars into the simulation, and the results of the test day at the Brands Hatch GP circuit, will be posted sometime tomorrow evening!

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXMGGmofowc

Space frames are coming soon.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Exactly what is allowed to be revised during the revision period? I haven't got much time right now so I might not even be able to submit a revision but just in case I can get the engineers to put in some overtime.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Modus Man posted:

Exactly what is allowed to be revised during the revision period? I haven't got much time right now so I might not even be able to submit a revision but just in case I can get the engineers to put in some overtime.

Pretty certain it's if the car is legal then it's fine.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

If someone's report doesn't end with the words 'and then it caught fire and exploded, making people wonder why this was a good idea' then someone.... didn't gently caress up? I dunno.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

loving YAY! :neckbeard:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

OK, everyone's test reports have been dispatched!

SA-GT 1975: CMW Motorsport, FISH in Fine Form During Pre-Season Testing

CMW Motorsport and FISH dominated their classes in pre-season testing at Brands Hatch this afternoon. In the three-hour session, the CMW Motorsport P4000T Open class entry set the overall pace, completing 93 laps of the hallowed GP course, in spite of four fuel stops through the course of the run. Victorian Hooray, with their compact, lithe Super Sabre finished second, their car setting a respectable pace in spite of a lack of top-end speed. Massachusetts Motorworks had a difficult but otherwise promising afternoon, their 518 GTO leaving the track and hitting a tire wall through Paddock Hill on the second lap, their car otherwise performing nominally well, according to team sources. Team Absolute Failure, on the other hand, did not fare so well, their car struggling with cooling issues all day long, with their day ultimately ending on the side of the track just after Sterling's in a cloud of steam.

Meanwhile in Sportsman class, the CMW set the pace there as well with their M4000, finishing a mere lap and a half down on their teammates in Open class. Automurdermotive and Modus Motors finished second and third, a couple of laps down on the CMW, both cars displaying considerable speed through the speed trap down through Pilgrim's Drop. Modus Motors expressed pleasure at their speed at the end of the day, but the feeling this reporter got speaking wit the team was that fuel consumption was a bit of an issue with them; certainly, if they could adjust that, it would put them in contention to net some class wins later in the season. GIBS struggled with speed all day long, their car seemingly struggling for traction at the same time as being down on power. LATOY and Robhol at the back of the pack struggled mightily, their cars down on power considerably compared to the class leaders.

In Touring class, a battle of epic proportion this coming season seems to be brewing. FISH led the way this afternoon with their Orso, finishing 86 laps before time was called. In spite of this, the team felt that there was still a considerable amount of speed to be found in their car, partly on account of their rather high number of fuel stops. Victorian Hooray finished a very respectable second in class, their Corsair R1 barely a lap behind the FISH entry. Behind them, a five-way battle seemed to emerge between the Fukushima, Modus Motors, MMW, Automurdermotive and Absolute Failure entries, their cars finishing within a lap of each other after the three hour session. "We are encouraged by today's result," one of Fukushima's drivers was quoted as saying, "we anticipate that it will be a pitched, hard-fought battle with our rivals all season long...and we only see them getting closer as well; clearly, we have our work cut out for us to maintain our advantage and perhaps press on the class leaders, if possible."

Polkswagen struggled with fuel consumption all day long, their car making twice the number of fuel stops as their rivals ahead; one of the team engineers was overheard saying that it was a tough situation to be in, being down on power and burning far too much fuel. LATOY and Robhol rounded up the back of the pack, but this reporter got the sense that both teams arrived on the day with very conservatively tuned cars, and the wry smiles in both garages seem to hint at the promise of much more speed from both entries before the season begins.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Modus Man posted:

As far as I am concerned, if you want to blow up your car and start anew, go right ahead! The catch of course is that there are no more test days, so you are taking a risk if you do so.

If I might offer a piece of advice to you guys, it would be to pay close attention to your suspension settings, especially camber, sway bars and spring stiffness...these can make a difference of several seconds per lap on some tracks! In light of all this, I have decided to take the unprecedented move of sharing my entries, as well as their documentation, with you guys:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-TdAZAcHwLAc1lya3dRYzE0cnc/view?usp=sharing

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Thanks for the testing, and thanks for your cars. I didn't have time to correct the SLAMvan (I am bad at simple addition, apparently) so thank you for releasing your cars as well

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I would like to announce that LATOY has bought a license to produce some fuel injection systems. More or less because we just got a nice government contract to build aircraft engines for some trainer aircrafts.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE:

"Victorian Hooray Racing is greatly encouraged by our showing on the recent test and tune day before the 1975 GT season gets underway.
Based on scrutineer reports and our own highly skilled R&D team findings after tear down we have some adjustments to make. We believe that
our light weight and fuel efficient class of motors will grab your attention this season." -- Sir Reginald May (Chief Engineer)

"[We are] Very pleased that the outcome of testing has been excellent. Rest assured we are not done perfecting the designs of our motor cars. Perfection is a continual
process as proven out time and again. As another great engineer has said - base components, and then lightness." -- Herr Fritz Maier (Team Finan-
cial Backer)

"The Super Sabre is perfect in every way and if the tail gets a little happy through the tighter turns you just blip the throttle and ease
your way through until you can mash the accelerator again. It lacks for nothing. That being said, it could really use more power to vanquish the
other teams out right rather than nip at their heels." -- Benjamin Clarkson (Professional Racing Driver)

"The Corsair is a treat in every sense of the word. It turns in graciously and woofs right along while it glides through the twists and turns out there.
Even for a steel bodied car it's a supreme road going vehicle and I personally cannot wait to own one of my very own." -- Dickie Hammond (Profes-
sional Racing Driver)

Published by Miles Standish, Penistone Free Press Publications a subsidiary of Lareson Digestive Biscuits.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 27, 2016

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I finally got off my rear end and made a writeup for the cars of team Automudermotive:

The Feigr V6 is simply Automurdermotive's cheap and reliable Feigr chassis equipeed with a brand new 1.5L V6 engine. The Feigr is a small and lightweight FWD car known for its fuel efficiency and cheerful appearance, and the Feigr V6 seeks to build on those advantages. The car is barely heavy enough to compete - the engineers actually had to add weight to it before entering it into the competition - and it is very fuel efficient, possibly to the detriment of things like acceleration or top speed. Also, two indicator lights were added to the front to make the car more sporty and aggressive.

The Fireball was custom-built for this event. Like the Feigr, the Fireball places an emphasis on fuel economy, although with 200 extra kilograms to push and a 2.8L twin-turbo V8 to do the pushing with, it was never going to be quite as fuel efficient as the little Feigr. One notable quirk of the design is that the engineers decided to put the engine in the back, making it a rear-engined RWD car. Reportedly the engineers spent a lot of time tuning the car's suspension to compensate for this, and it looks like they've succeeded in taming the beast that is a RR car.

Notably, neither car is the standard front-engine, rear wheel drive car, and both are well below the cost cap. Also, they're both green because I like green. It is my favorite color.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
With the Brands Hatch test over, we have confirmed that both our cars have a good chassis. In the mean time, the LATOY factory was re-tooling for a new line of engines. The Rallimestari has come to it's final form.

Fuel Injected all-aluminum 3000 CC straight-6, in a lightweight body that has extensive wind tunnel testing done to it. We still focus on ensuring our car is efficient and reliable since in order to finish first, you must first finish.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Absolute Failures would like to apologize for not failing spectacularly enough to cancel the race circuit. To compensate, it has fielded improvements to its existing entries for the sake of power and not blowing up on the sixty-somethingth lap.

pinchofginger
Nov 7, 2009
Fallen Rib
Fukushima Motors racing team sets an optimistic tone for the coming season.
- Brent Nosebeard, writing for Track Grognard magazine, Geneva, Switzerland.

A press conference called by Fukushima Motors' head of racing and motorsport answered several questions from the media, relating to the Dandy GTi's challenge for Touring superiority in the coming SA-GT 1975 series.

In response to the Japanese Motor Tragic journalist's question about the concerns regarding the Dandy's disappointing testing day performance;
"We are encouraged with the Dandy GTi's showing on testing day, but we have decided we are going to be unable to wring any more performance from the L4 Foal engine we had been using. We have developed an improved variant of our small-bore L6 Lamb engine which should give us more than enough power to put pressure on the class leaders amongst our competitors whilst remaining compliant with the rigorous rules of the touring class. In addition, several small but important alterations to suspension and chassis have been worked on by our engineers, leading to a safer, more competitive vehicle for the coming Touring season, aiming to give our drivers every advantage through superior firepower."

In response to Super Motor Lover Magazine's question about rumours that a recall of the Dandy Sedan is in the works due to incidents of "inconvenient explosions leading to maiming";
"These rumours are likely spread by our immediate competitors as a distraction from the proud continuation of Fukushima's tradition of small, sporty, fireproof vehicles. There's no evidence that the seat covers in our Dandy Sedan were not replaced with explosive ones by dastardly engineers from Ninja Heavy Vehicles or by an American company."

This writer also posed a question regarding concerns of excessive fuel consumption for class size amongst performance variants of Fukushima's range of cars on sale in the US;
"With gasoline as cheap as it has ever been, and only likely to get cheaper, this kind of gotcha question is a waste of our time. We focus on a driving experience second to none, as opposed to making life harder for mom-and-pop gas station owners to earn a living like some of our competitors like Ninja Heavy Vehicles"

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So with a little less than a day left until the revision deadline (11PM Pacific Time tonight, unless otherwise noted!), I have received revisions for 13 of the 22 total entries (which includes only one of my entries because :effort:) so we're doing well.

A couple of things; simplefish, though your Open entry did not pass scrutineering, you will be allowed to run it if you can submit a rules-compliant version before the deadline. Eskaton, I have not heard anything from you on your entry - all it needs is a grille that is not part of a Workshop mod to be able to run; otherwise, I will have to remove you from the competition.

Otherwise, I hope to see a few more revisions! I can tell you right now that Open class has tightened up dramatically with the revised cars...it might actually be the tightest class of all!

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
I'm bad at automation so I'm not even sure how I could even revise the car properly. Its probably because I said "gently caress turbos" and put in a large NA engine in there.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
A good NA engine is the best option for endurance racing, IMO. Less parts to go wrong and less heat that needs cooled.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Alright, I have everything ready to go for the beginning of the racing series; the first results will be posted sometime tomorrow, February 1st!

Also, I have decided that there will be another Automation challenge in the future, so I've created a Google form that you can fill out to give me feedback on what you liked and what you would like to see in the next version.

See you all tomorrow for the first race, the 24-hour season opener at Daytona; good luck to everyone!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 1, 2016

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

MrChips posted:

See you all tomorrow for the first race, the 24-hour season opener at Daytona; good luck to everyone!

MrChips posted:

the 24-hour season opener at Daytona; good luck to everyone!

Doot doot doot doot doot doot doot doot dooooooooooooooooooot....

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SURPRISE AT DAYTONA: CMW Sportsman Wins Overall; Modus Wins Touring Class in Epic Battle

DAYTONA - In a result that shocked everyone on the grid, the #911 CMW Motorsports M4000 car won the inaugural race of the SA-GT 1975 season, running 602 flawless laps of the storied track over the 24 hours of the race. This was matched by their sister car, and soundly beat their compatriots in the Open class, the CMW P4000Ts finishing six and ten laps behind the overall victors, yet still winning their class. Modus Motors had a thrilling weekend as well, their Advantage S Sportsman coupes finishing in fourth and fifth overall, netting their first Open-class podium. In Touring class, Modus Motors also took the top two spots, finishing barely a lap ahead of the #13 FISH Orso in a thrilling finish, with the top six cars in Touring class all turning lap times within a half a second of each other all race long. In the end, it came down to time on pit road; Modus' frugal cars required only 27 stops each for the race, while both the FISH and Fukushima cars needed 32 stops.

Victorian Hooray Racing had a decent race in Open Class, their compact, lightweight Super Sabre R2s finishing 565 laps of the track, good for third and fourth in class; this in contrast to their Touring class entries, which both struggled to find speed all day long, finishing in seventh and eighth in class, having completed 545 and 544 laps respectively. Automurdermotive turned in on a solid performance in both Sportsman and Touring classes, their rear-engined #33 Fireball finishing in fifth place in class and seventh overall. Bad luck unfortunately befell their sister #34 car, which came to a halt in the international section of the track in the 22nd hour, its engine seized from overheating. The unseasonably high track temperatures took a massive toll on the field this race, with Team Absolute Failure's Open-class cars retiring due to severe overheating, and their Touring class cars not faring much better either; both cars stopped no fewer than five times due to overheating of varying severity. Additionally, Massachusetts Motorworks Touring cars also struggled with overheating in the latter half of the race, putting a damper on what was otherwise a very encouraging weekend. LATOY's Rallimestari put in a respectable performance in Sportsman, finishing sixth and seventh in class, putting the worries about the car's overall pace in the test at Brands Hatch largely in the past. The same cannot be said for their diminutive Rallimies TKM Touring car, which struggled to find any pace at all this weekend, finishing well back in their class.

OVERALL WINNER: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000

OPEN CLASS

First Place: #934 CMW Motorsport P4000T

Second Place: #935 CMW Motorsport P4000T

Third Place: #998 Victorian Hooray Super Sabre R2

SPORTSMAN CLASS
First Place: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000

Second Place: #912 CMW Motorsport M4000

Third Place: #73 Modus Motors Advantage S

TOURING CLASS

First Place: #1 Modus Motors Advantage

Second Place: #2 Modus Motors Advantage

Third Place: #13 FISH Orso

RACE RESULTS:

SEASON RESULTS (Click for big):

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Did I just have super bad luck, or did I screw up the cooling that bad?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

AdventFalls posted:

Did I just have super bad luck, or did I screw up the cooling that bad?

In both your entries, you only have about 85-ish percent of your engine cooling needs; the simulation model punishes harshly for anything less than 100 percent.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, just looked at the 150 Touring and realized I forgot to compensate in cooling for the increased power in the revision :doh:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Following this LP, I am quite sorely tempted to get the game. Is there much by way of a tycoon element in it or is it mostly still just car design simulation?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Ceciltron posted:

Following this LP, I am quite sorely tempted to get the game. Is there much by way of a tycoon element in it or is it mostly still just car design simulation?

No real tycoon element that I'm aware of at the moment but for me all the fun has been in the Let's Play form.

24hrs of Daytona
Wth... half the stops, 31 laps down from the lead, difference of 9 second a lap off that pace.
I'm left wondering if the crew has been making bathtub gin during the week.
Where is that drat engineer...

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 2, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

Mostly the latter, but with each update (which typically happen every couple of months) the devs pull back a little more of the curtain on the nuts and bolts of the tycoon mode; first, we got demographics, then we got stuff like manufacturing and engineering calculations. In the next update, we are going to get stuff like more fleshed out production calculations, QA calculations and whatnot. Oh, and turbo V12s and spaceframe chassis in the car designer as well! Basically, it's all explained here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXMGGmofowc

Killrob (one of the three or four devs for the game) does a great job engaging the community with updates and progress reports - but also does so in such a way to keep feature creep to an almost non-existent level.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I'd like to take this time to remind all the good folks out there that the Modus Motors Advantage is available for sale right now at your local Modus Motors showroom, because when it comes to sports cars, you want to have the ADVANTAGE. Unfortunately, the 507 hp V12 version will not be for sale due to the ban placed on the vehicle by the EPA for its' horrendous fuel economy.

I really didn't expect to be able to catch the FISH Orso in the Touring class. The Dandy GTi is right there too, should be a hot 3 way if if you catch my drift.

Unsurprisingly the Advantage S made 39 pit stops, that's a pit stop every 15 laps! So much for the fuel and tire budget.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
How did the m4000 beat the p4000t even though it had slower lap times and more pit stops? Was it just the amount of time it took to fill the larger fuel tanks?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Modus Man posted:

How did the m4000 beat the p4000t even though it had slower lap times and more pit stops? Was it just the amount of time it took to fill the larger fuel tanks?

Best lap =/= All laps. You can't do ideal laps 24 hours in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So, today's race, which will be revealed later this evening, is the first of several to take place on a track layout that does not exist or is not used today; the so-called "Long Course" layout at Watkins Glen International in upstate New York:

(though our race will be 12 hours...so, twice as good!)

Characterised by long straights, fast, blind corners and large elevation changes, Watkins Glen has long held the reputation of being one of the most dangerous and exciting tracks in North America. It is of average length - 5.435 kilometres - with lap times expected to range from 2:00 to 2:30, depending on class, with the Open cars expected to top speeds of 260-270 km/h on the back straight.

Though broadly similar to the current layout in use by NASCAR and other series today, this layout does not have the "Inner Loop" chicane at the end of the back straightaway, which was added in 1992. Also, this layout does not include the temporary chicane added to the Esses before the Formula 1 race that year, in an attempt to slow the cars down through that extremely fast, dangerous set of corners.

Modus Man posted:

Three things; first, I discovered a calculation error in the Open-class run group, where it would count the in/out lap penalty (basically, the time it takes the car to crawl up pit road at low speed, plus a coupoe other minor things) twice, adding between 20 and 30 seconds per pitstop needlessly. Second, yeah, the fueling time for all Open cars is longer than the Sportsman cars; roughly 44 seconds versus 20 seconds. And finally, the P4000T can only single-stint tires, while the M4000 can triple-stint them under ideal conditions.

• Locked thread