Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

MrChips posted:

Three things; first, I discovered a calculation error in the Open-class run group, where it would count the in/out lap penalty (basically, the time it takes the car to crawl up pit road at low speed, plus a coupoe other minor things) twice, adding between 20 and 30 seconds per pitstop needlessly. Second, yeah, the fueling time for all Open cars is longer than the Sportsman cars; roughly 44 seconds versus 20 seconds. And finally, the P4000T can only single-stint tires, while the M4000 can triple-stint them under ideal conditions.

You can just wave it away as pit-stop problems and the drivers being told to drive conservatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Triple A posted:

You can just wave it away as pit-stop problems and the drivers being told to drive conservatively.

I bank on this - it's pretty cool even if it still leaves me thinking WTF.
I had half the stops in the open class of any other car yet was 31 laps down.
Perhaps I should not have relied on a lot of old blacksmiths and aircraft engineers.
Maybe I shouldn't have a timid little Welsh man paired with a great ape as part of my driving team.
Wait a minute... seat adjustment time.... sigh... my season is doomed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ABSOLUTE SUCCESS; CMW AND FISH WIN; ABSOLUTE FAILURE? NOT QUITE!

WATKINS GLEN - CMW Motorsport made it two for two today, with a dominant performance in both Sportsman and Open classes, with the #935 P4000T winning overall, having covered 301 laps over the 12-hour session, having passed the #911 M4000 for the overall lead with only seven laps to go. Team Absolute Failure overcame their overheating problems to some degree, the #926 PoBM finishing a very convincing third place in spite of a minor overheating incident in the sixth hour. Their sister #925 car was not so lucky, overheated and ending the race in the pits twenty laps down, seventh in class. Massachusetts Motorworks had an encouraging showing, with both their Open and Touring entries enjoying their highest finishes of this youn racing season, though their 150 Tourings still suffered from overheating issues once again. Victorian Hooray struggled in both Open and Touring, finishing sixth and eighth in Open and seventh and eight in Touring.

CMW's M4000 finished one-two in Sportsman, though not without problems; the #912 car left the track briefly in The Boot, losing three laps in the pits while the bodywork was hammered out. Modus Motors podiumed once again, the 73 and 74 cars finishing within striking distance of the hobbled CMW. Automurdermotive finished fifth and sixth in class, their efficiency proving to be a boon over their competitors.

Touring class once again was a pitched battle all race long, though in the end FISH finished with a convincing one-two when all was said and done. Fukushima and Modus Motors traded places (and at times traded paint), fighting tooth and nail for third through sixth places, with less than ninety seconds between all four cars. Automurdermotive had a bittersweet afternoon, their Feigr V6s finishing a disappointing eleventh and twelfth in class. LATOY struggled in both classes, their Rallimestaris finishing in seventh and eighth in Sportsman, and their Rallimies TKMs in Touring having a dreadful day, the #16 car losing its hood down the back straight in the seventh hour and the #15 suffering a catastrophic suspension failure in The Esses, bringing the race under caution for several minutes as the stricken car was removed from the circuit.

OVERALL WINNER: #935 CMW Motorsport P4000T

OPEN CLASS

First Place: #935 CMW Motorsport P4000T

Second Place: #934 CMW Motorsport P4000T

Third Place: #926 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

SPORTSMAN CLASS
First Place: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000

Second Place: #912 CMW Motorsport M4000

Third Place: #73 Modus Motors Advantage S

TOURING CLASS

First Place: #14 FISH Orso

Second Place: #13 FISH Orso

Third Place: #3 Fukushima Motors Dandy GTi

RACE RESULTS:

SEASON RESULTS (Click for big):

MrChips fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 4, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Double post, but eh:

I have decided to reverse my decision regarding revisions, and I have modified the the schedule for the event unveils to suit it. Instead of all 20 events being unveiled one after the other, do five at a time during the week, then pause for the weekend, then do another five and so on. Each Saturday night at 11PM Pacific Time will be the deadline for revisions, and each entry will get TWO revision tokens, each token being worth one new version.

You will obviously need to follow the rules as before, but there will be other restrictions; you must use your existing body and engine, and keep your Quality Points the same. However, component changes are completely allowed, so if you want to switch to mechanical injection from carbs, that's fine...if you want to go to a different tire size, that's fine too. Also, for those of you suffering from too much or too little cooling area (hint; anything more than what you need adds needless aerodynamic drag!), you can fix that too!

So, uh, ALLEZ GARAGE or something.

E: Keep those survey responses coming in everybody, they are producing some interesting data, even with the relatively small number of responses I've received so far. Have your say in what goes into the next version of this challenge!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 3, 2016

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Perhaps the Absolute Failure line can be salvaged!

Our CEO must have hit his head on the pile of coins he tried to dive into Scrooge McDuck style because holy hell the car made it to third!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Thanks for the revision mechanic, it adds a whole new dimension to things

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
So transmission changes as well then?.... hrmmmm.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Apologies for the delay in today's results; life got in the way a little, so I'm just tabbing them up now. All I can say is holy poo poo you Touring guys :stare:

extreme_accordion posted:

So transmission changes as well then?.... hrmmmm.

Yes, transmission changes as well.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Let me guess, a sudden shower catches out half the field and there's multiple cars that end up going off track at the kink.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

Apologies for the delay in today's results; life got in the way a little, so I'm just tabbing them up now. All I can say is holy poo poo you Touring guys :stare:

Yes, transmission changes as well.

No matter how much tire I threw at my problem I still had greater than 15%.
Drop to 4 speed.... < 5%. Put the GH at 488. Still roughly the same time as previously.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SIX HOUR SPRINT: CMW, FISH WIN AS TOURING FINISH GOES DOWN TO THE WIRE, MIRED IN CONTROVERSY

ELKHART LAKE - CMW Motorsport made it three wins in a row this afternoon here at Road America, the P4000Ts crossing the line in formation once again as they swept the top two spots both overall and in the Open class. In their strongest outing of the season, Team Absolute Failure once again demonstrated the speed of their cars, the #925 car netting their second podium of the season in spite of running out of fuel part way through the final lap. Massachusetts Motorworks also matched their performance from Watkins Glen, finishing 4th and 5th in class.

In Sportsman class, the #912 M4000 took its second Sportsman class win of the season in convincing fashion, finishing third overall. The #911 M4000, on the other hand, was not so lucky, that car falling to an uncontrollable fire in the second hour of the race, the driver narrowly escaping serious injury before the car burned to a hulk on track. Engineers at CMW were unfamiliar with the cause of the blaze at press time, but one unnamed source indicated the investigation was focusing on an oil supply line running along the cylinder head that might have leaked onto the exhaust manifold. Second place went to the #34 Automurdermotive Fireball V8, who notched up the team's first podium appearance of the season in a thrilling, door-bashing battle with Modus Motors. Modus and Automurdermotive fought hard all race, trading positions frequently; in the end, only fourteen seconds separated the second-place Fireball from the fourth-place Modus Advantage S. LATOY's cars and the second Fireball traded places all afternoon, with the Automurdermotive car playing the hare to the LATOY's tortoise; only a daring pass on lap 117 by the #33 Fireball secured sixth place, both Rallimestaris working together to make the pass as difficult as possible for the faster car.

In Touring class, tempers boiled over between FISH and Modus Motors, as a racing incident on the 85th lap between the #1 Advantage and the #14 Orso running in second place at the time, ended with the Orso spinning off the track in Canada Corner, narrowly avoiding a potentially catastrophic accident. As the #14 car limped back into the pits, a confrontation between the FISH and Modus engineers had to be defused by race officials. The Race Director has summoned both drivers, as well as the team principals of FISH and Modus, to a meeting to be held later this evening to discuss the nature of the incident. Fukishima put on another strong showing, their cars finishing in fourth and fifth place, a mere two minutes behind the class winner. Behind the #13 Orso, an even more ferocious battle raged for seventh through twelfth, with both Victorian Hooray Sabres, both Absolute Failure Natural Ones, the #76 MMW and the #9 Automurdermotive Feigr V6 fighting tooth and nail every step of the way, positions and paint being traded routinely between all five cars, albeit more cleanly than the battle for the lead in Touring. Four laps behind the midfield battle, yet another hard fought race broke out between Polkswagen, LATOY, the #10 Feigr V6 and the #75 MMW 150 Touring after the #10 car suffered braking problems at the midway point. Ultimately, the MMW dropped back after overheating twice within an hour in the dying minutes of the race, and the two Polkswagen Advantages (See story in Business section: Modus Motors sues Polkswagen for Copy Infringement) prevailed. LATOY was disappointed by the result, but the team principal was upbeat for their chances nonetheless, as an upgrade package will be arrive in time for the next event, which happens to be the first time-trial event of the season, up the dangerous and challenging mountain road at Pikes Peak, Colorado.

OVERALL WINNER: #934 CMW Motorsport P4000T

Open Class

FIRST PLACE: #934 CMW Motorsport P4000T

SECOND PLACE: #935 CMW Motorsport P4000T

THIRD PLACE: #925 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

Sportsman Class

FIRST PLACE: #912 CMW Motorsport M4000

SECOND PLACE: #34 Automurdermotive Fireball V8

THIRD PLACE: #73 Modus Motors Advantage S

Touring Class

FIRST PLACE: #13 FISH Orso

SECOND PLACE: #2 Modus Motors Advantage

THIRD PLACE: #1 Modus Motors Advantage

RACE RESULTS

SEASON RESULTS (Click for Large)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Also, for those of you looking to tune your cars, Killrob goes into some detail how to do it best in this video...OK, a LOT of detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b82c9w0WMa0

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HIGH - CMW, FUKUSHIMA WIN PIKES PEAK HILLCLIMB

COLORADO SPRINGS - CMW Motorsport continued their stellar performance today at the Pikes Peak hill climb, with the P4000Ts and the M4000s sweeping the top spots in both Open and Sportsman classes. CMW has been so dominant this season that race organisers are discussing measures to restore a level of parity in the series. Victorian Hooray and Automurdermotive finished in third place in Open and Sportsman classes respectively, the #999 Super Sabre breaking the 10-minute barrier on their second run, and the #34 Fireball missing that mark by fractions of a second. Team Absolute Failure had a bittersweet day on the mountain, with the PoBMs finishing just clear of the MMW 518 GTOs, who struggled with the elevation and the tricky surface.

In Sportsman class, Modus Motors and Automurdermotive battled hard for third through sixth, but the exceptional drive put together by the #34 Fireball won the day, with the Modus Advantage Ses splitting the Fireballs when all was said and done. LATOY showed surprising pace as well, the team buoyed by the strong finish of their Rallimies Touring class entry, which recently benefited from a suspension and power upgrade rumoured to be worth at least thirty horsepower over their previous setup. Unfortunately a slight mistake on the second run of the #16 car cost the team their first top-10 finish of the season, running as high as eighth before dipping a wheel in the ditch.

Once again, Touring class was not short of drama as three different cars finished on the podium, with the #3 Fukushima Dandy GTi notching their first victory of the season in dominant fashion, finishing thirteen seconds clear of their nearest rivals after two clean, consistent runs up the mountain. News spread quickly of their glorious victory back home in Japan, the factory shutting down briefly as assembly workers and management alike celebrated deleriously as the results arrived by Telex from America. MMW showed strongly today as well, both 150 Tourings finishing comfortably in the top 10 in their best finish of the season.

As the series heads to Europe for the first time, the road-weary teams are all looking forward to a chance to rest and recover after the next round, a six-hour dash on the fast, treacherous Silverstone Circuit...and not the sanitised, slowed down modern layout either; this will be on the old, flat-out fast layout of the 1970s.

Open Class

FIRST PLACE: #934 CMW Motorsport P4000T

SECOND PLACE: #935 CMW Motorsport P4000T

THIRD PLACE: #999 Victorian Hooray Super Sabre R2

Sportsman Class

FIRST PLACE: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000

SECOND PLACE: #912 CMW Motorsport M4000

THIRD PLACE: #34 Automurdermotive Fireball V8

Touring Class

FIRST PLACE: #3 Fukushima Dandy GTi

SECOND PLACE: #13 FISH Orso

THIRD PLACE: #1 Modus Motors Advantage

RACE RESULTS

SEASON RESULTS (Click for Large)

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 5, 2016

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I may have told my drivers that they will get a bonus if they can take out a competitor without getting caught, off the record of course. That may explain the "incident" at Elkhart. I'm afraid my cars just don't have the gusto to take these shorter races but they seem to do better in the longer ones, we'll see.

It's interesting to see one of my touring cars lay down the fastest time of the second session at pikes peak and his teammate lay down one of the slowest, shows you which driver has the cojones!

Modus Man fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 5, 2016

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Modus Man posted:

I may have told my drivers that they will get a bonus if they can take out a competitor without getting caught, off the record of course. That may explain the "incident" at Elkhart. I'm afraid my cars just don't have the gusto to take these shorter races but they seem to do better in the longer ones, we'll see.

It's interesting to see one of my touring cars lay down the fastest time of the second session at pikes peak and his teammate lay down one of the slowest, shows you which driver has the cojones!

At Elkhart you actually see this - anything with big legs for long straights does really well where the smaller cars do fair to middling.
BMW vs MR2. On the short technical tracks it can always be pretty close.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Team Absolute Failure Press Release

Our engineering team, still drunk off their third place finishes at Watkins Glen and Elkhart Lake, have just submitted their revised vehicles for scrutineering. They claim that the new models will 'not catch fire under a hot sun's day' and 'if it breaks down it isn't the goddamn coolings' fault this time'.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ABSOLUTE GLORY: ABSOLUTE FAILURE NOTCHES FIRST WIN OF SEASON, CMW AND FISH WIN CLASSES

SILVERSTONE - In a remarkable turn of events, Team Absolute failure won their first class victory in today's race at Silverstone, the #926 PoBM covering 175 laps in six hours, followed closely behind by their sister car. CMW struggled for speed this afternoon, finishing well back in third and fourth place, their engineers readily admitting that the P4000T is not well suited to the high-speed layout of the airport track. Massachusetts Motorworks' pair of 518 GTOs showed moments of brilliant speed, but mechanical problems stymied their efforts to make gains on the leading CMW cars, as an alternator failure befell the #975 car in the fourth hour of the race, while the #976 car struggled with gearbox problems all race long.

In Sportsman class, CMW had a somewhat better afternoon than their compatriots in the top class, the #911 car winning the class and overall as well, good for that car's fourth win of the season and continuing the M4000's unbroken winning streak. However, the #912 car suffered a puncture on the 28th lap, the pit crew struggling with getting a jack under the car so that it could be lifted. These precious seconds cost the #912 car a podium finish, finishing a disappointing fourth place. Modus Motors had a fantastic showing, with both Advantage Ses sweeping the remaining podium spots after a pair of brilliant performances by both car and driver alike. The team principal of Modus was overheard saying "we knew we would be fast at Silverstone; the layout of the track favours a car with good high-speed handling and good top-end performance, this only bodes well for us as the fastest race tracks are yet to come this season." Automurdermotive struggled for speed this race, finishing three laps down in fifth and sixth place, their turbocharged V8 being somewhat of a detriment here in terms of fuel economy. A moment of terror gripped the GIBS team, as a brake rotor failed on the #23 Ladybird Sport coming off the Hangar Straight on lap 45; credit to the driver's skill that he was able to keep the car under control and bring it back to the garage for repairs.

In Touring class, the pitched three-way battle between FISH, Modus Motors and Fukushima Motors showed no signs of letting up, the racing no less vicious than at any other round thusfar, with all six of their cars trading positions, along with Absolute Failure's Natural Ones, their car seemingly over their initial teething troubles earlier in the season. All eight of these cars ended up finishing within a lap of the winning FISH entries, with both Dandy GTis and Natural Ones finishing within sight of one another. Massachusetts Motorworks would have been close as well, according to their single-lap pace, but their inability to string together consistent, reliable laps was their downfall once again, with the #76 struggling with overheating once again, and the #75 car retiring at barely more than quarter distance, the car on the grass with a seized, massively overheated engine. The one-two finish of FISH today also means they have now leapfrogged Modus Motors in the overall constructor standings, with 684 points to Modus' 670. Fukushima remains close in the standings, with less than 120 points separating them from the leaders. With a quarter of the season in the books, and a substantially smaller volume of points awarded, it remains to be seen just how hard-fought the constructor's battles will be going forward; even CMW Motorsport, with their large leads, showed definite signs of vulnerability this afternoon.

OVERALL WINNER: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000 (Sportsman)

Open Class

FIRST PLACE: #926 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

SECOND PLACE: #925 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

THIRD PLACE: #935 CMW Motorsport P4000T

Sportsman Class

FIRST PLACE: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000

SECOND PLACE: #74 Modus Motors Advantage S

THIRD PLACE: #73 Modus Motors Advantage S

Touring Class

FIRST PLACE: #13 FISH Orso

SECOND PLACE: #14 FISH Orso

THIRD PLACE: #2 Modus Motors Advantage

Race Results

Season Results (Click for big)

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
Polkswagen is proud of it's standing in the touring competition. It has a long history of being a middle of the road economy car with focus on affordability! Some have described Polkswagen's motto as uncompromisingly mediocre, and we are excited about the prospect of bringing more simply - meh- cars to the roads.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
So, how many people have submitted an upgrade to their original design so far? I bet Modus can beat CMW if they spend a bit more time to squeeze a bit more power/handling/economy out of the Advantage S.

Triple A fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 6, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Triple A posted:

So, how many people have submitted an upgrade to their original design so far? I bet Modus can beat CMW if they spend a bit more time to squeeze a bit more power/handling/economy out of the Advantage S.

This many:

Also, after the shocking defeat at Silverstone, CMW Motorsport has decided to redress the situation with the P4000T by investigating a possible upgrade package. Engineers have identified several areas that need to improve; fuel economy, top speed, suspension tuning and weight distribution. They are starting to think, having run a quarter of the season, that most of the P4000T's problems come from running far too much power, if you can believe that. More power means more fuel consumption and more cooling needed obviously; at some point you run into the issue where you use all the additional power just to counter all that extra cooling drag. It also means you need a compromised suspension setup, as a softer suspension is needed to help put the power down, often to the detriment of handling. And beyond that, the big loving turbochargers needed to build all that boost to make 640 horsepower add weight exactly where I don't want it...hanging off the rear end end of the car.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

MrChips posted:

Also, after the shocking defeat at Silverstone, CMW Motorsport has decided to redress the situation with the P4000T by investigating a possible upgrade package. Engineers have identified several areas that need to improve; fuel economy, top speed, suspension tuning and weight distribution. They are starting to think, having run a quarter of the season, that most of the P4000T's problems come from running far too much power, if you can believe that. More power means more fuel consumption and more cooling needed obviously; at some point you run into the issue where you use all the additional power just to counter all that extra cooling drag. It also means you need a compromised suspension setup, as a softer suspension is needed to help put the power down, often to the detriment of handling. And beyond that, the big loving turbochargers needed to build all that boost to make 640 horsepower add weight exactly where I don't want it...hanging off the rear end end of the car.

"Quite frankly, we at LATOY have been surprised that more people aren't responding to the obvious deficiencies of their own respective models. We'll keep the Rallimestari as is, because we prefer reliability and efficiency over lap times."

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Team Absolute Failure is stunned, stunned that its streak of non-first place finishes has been cut short after the six hour Silverstone race.

Our CEO had to be sedated as not to prance around the reception area in front of the other team managers, since he still pays for everything.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I have been quite pleased to be competitive in my classes but I'm going to fall behind the curve when it comes to revisions. After the season started I installed a new hard drive and haven't downloaded anything yet and now we are packing for a two week vacation. It's going to be phone-posting only for me.

I REALLY wish this game could be turned into a phone ap, I could spend time on it during the day where as computer time is limited to after the kids go to bed and if I can stay awake.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It's okay, you aren't alone. I've got some heavy work schedule coming up and besides, I'm not sure how much more I can squeeze out of the Orso

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, not to mention the fact that I don't even know how to make my cars faster/ more efficient if I did have the time to work on them. Whenever I did something to make my engines a little less powerful the economy would also get worse and I never could figure out the right set of parameters for dropping a little bit of power to gain a little bit of efficiency back.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

OK, this week's revision window is closed; all revisions received between now and next Saturday will not appear until next Monday. Here is where we stand with revision tokens:

Both of my cars are new variants, because so much ended up changing that it only made sense to go about it this way, if only to give a direct comparison between the old and the new. Plus, both cars get funky new 70s-style paint colours!

The P4000TB features a revised variant of the B52 engine with smaller, more efficient turbochargers that make less peak boost but produce a limited, useable boost level of 0.91 bar over a wider rev range than before. Along with a slightly higher compression ratio, a more aggressive camshaft, more careful fuel metering and a more aggressive ignition map, the B40T0, as this variant is known internally, produces 540 bhp and 420 ft-lb of torque; down significantly from the P4000T, but combined with revised aerodynamics, better brake pad compounds, revised sway bars and front and rear and new rear springs, it enjoys a 30-35% reduction in fuel consumption and should actually prove to be faster than its predecessor. It turns out that earlier speculation by the engineering department was correct; the extra horsepower was solely being used to overcome the aerodynamic drag produced by the increased cooling needs.

The M4000B also features a revised variant of the B52 engine; while the original B40S0 variant was already in a very aggressive state of tune, track experience showed that the motor was capable of more. The B40S1, as the new variant is known internally, produces ten more horsepower than the old S0 variant, while enjoying a 5% percent reduction in fuel consumption as well. Additionally, the M4000B has undergone a similar suspension and aero revision as the P4000TB, making the new car far more competitive overall.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 8, 2016

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Increased power and fuel economy at the same time? I'll take some of that! Nice work. I like the sublime paint as well, it will be a good color for my touring cars to trade with.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
As the new majority shareholder in the Victorian Hooray's Racing I've been asked to take stewardship of the team. My first action was to sack the chief technologist. We reworked the car based on the theory of adding lightness to lightness. We rebuilt the mechanical fuel injection (by LUCAS) and found an unknown number of horsepowers more than we had before.The rear axle was looked over again and we've gone with wider tires again, but feel this may increase yet again as the season progresses. The aero package was scrapped and reworked while the cooling was tweaked and the transmission was reworked. We have confidently gained a few significant numbers in our overall lap times at our local proving grounds and test center - Road America. Blackhawk Farms has contacted us and offered a significant deal on land and track time if we move there... it may be 'a thing'.

At the end of the season I will be submitting both cars to the public.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 8, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

RESURGENCE - CMW, FISH WIN BRANDS HATCH, VICTORIAN HOORAY RETURNS TO FORM

SWANLEY - CMW Motorsport returned to form after a challenging race at Silverstone, their revised P4000TB sweeping back to the top of the podium in Open class, while the #911 M4000B increased its dominance over Sportsman class, winning that category and outright for the second race in a row. FISH continued their streak of excellent results in Touring class, with the #14 car notching their second win of the season, bringing the total wins for the season to four. The big story today, however, was the return to form of the Victorian Hooray team, especially in the Touring class, where their Corsair R1 was challenging for the class victory all day long. Unfortunately fate did not smile on them today, as the #99 car retired in the third hour after a nasty accident on lap 62. In spite of losing their sister car, the #98 charged on to a decisive third place in class, finishing withing spitting distance of the #13 Orso.

Elsewhere, the stellar drive being put together by the young drivers in the #34 Automurdermotive Fireball continued today, with that car charging to a very encouraging second place finish in Sportsman class, that car accounting for both podium finishes earned by Automurdermotive so far this season. Modus Motors finished strong in Sportsman class as well, the #74 Advantage S landing on the last podium spot and with the #33 car not far behind that until the dying seconds of the race, when the team gambled and lost on their fuel situation, the car sputtering to a stop halfway around their last laps. Modus' strong finish in Sportsman was not echoed in Touring, as they struggled to put together a consistently fast race in the Advantages, finishing in sixth and seventh place behind the resurgent Absolute Failure entries, that team leapfrogging LATOY into eighth place in the Touring class constructor standings. Fukushima Motors had a disappointing race as well, finishing in eighth and ninth place, a minute and change ahead of the two Massachusetts Motorworks cars, the overheating problems that plagued that team so doggedly in the first five rounds seeming a thing of the past now.

Challenging track conditions claimed a number of victims this afternoon, as Victorian Hooray very nearly lost the #999 Super Sabre in the first hour, followed shortly by the accident that claimed the #99. MMW lost one of their 518 GTOs going into Paddock Hill as it tried to avoid slower traffic, and later in the race the #912 M4000B found a patch of oil left behind in the very same corner, spinning off the course and needing several minutes to limp their stricken car back to the garage. The race organisers expect similarly challenging conditions at the next round at Circuit Zolder in Belgium, as well as the high-stakes BRC Rally and the Spa 12-Hour race, all held within a couple of hundred kilometers of one another.

OVERALL WINNER: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000B (Sportsman)

Open Class

FIRST PLACE: #934 CMW Motorsport P4000TB

SECOND PLACE: #935 CMW Motorsport P4000TB

THIRD PLACE: #926 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

Sportsman Class

FIRST PLACE: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000B

SECOND PLACE: #34 Automurdermotive Fireball

THIRD PLACE: #74 Modus Motors Advantage S

Touring Class

FIRST PLACE: #14 FISH Orso

SECOND PLACE: #13 FISH Orso

THIRD PLACE: #98 Victorian Hooray Corsair R1

Race Results

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

HUZZAH!! - VICTORIAN HOORAY'S BIG DAY IN BELGIUM

ZOLDER - Victorian Hooray swept into victory lane in dramatic fashion this afternoon at Circuit Zolder, their Corsairs notching their first one-two finish of the season. The crowd of nearly a hundred thousand spectators were on the edge of their seats all afternoon as the Touring class fought wheel to wheel in what ended up being a six-hour sprint race, with a stunning ten cars finishing on the lead lap. No fewer than sixteen lead changes occurred, with all of the top five teams holding the lead at some point. Ultimately, Victorian Hooray was able to pull away after their last round of pit stops effectively ending the challenge from Fukushima, FISH and Modus Motors.

Elsewhere, Massachusetts Motorworks capped an improbable afternoon with their first podium finish of the season, the #976 518 GTO finishing in third in Open class after a tumultuous afternoon, splitting the podium with the winning #934 CMW and the second-place #926 Absolute Failure. The #925 Absolute Failure had an off track incident in the first hour which cost them almost two hours in the garage for repairs. Not long after, the #935 CMW P4000TB collided with the #96 Rallimestari, eliminating both cars from contention in spite of them both returning to the race later on. In Sportsman, the #34 Automurdermotive Fireball continued their excellent run of finishes, notching up their third podium of the season. Their remarkable performance has generated a lot of interest from.other racing series; the star young driver was spotted recently at Monaco being entertained by the likes of Hesketh and Ferrari - could Formula 1 be in this young driver's future? Time will tell...

OVERALL WINNER: #912 CMW Motorsport M4000B (Sportsman)

Open Class

SECOND PLACE: #926 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

THIRD PLACE: #976 Massachusetts Motorworks 518 GTO

Sportsman Class

FIRST PLACE: #912 CMW Motorsport M4000B

SECOND PLACE: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000B

THIRD PLACE: #34 Automurdermotive Fireball

Touring Class

FIRST PLACE: #99 Victorian Hooray Corsair R1

SECOND PLACE: #98 Victorian Hooray Corsair R1

THIRD PLACE: #2 Modus Motors Advantage

Race Results

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Double posting, but once again, the design challenge survey is still open...have your say in what goes into the next version!

Also, I am considering taking the time to put together a guide to tuning engines and chassis, for those who are interested.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Massachusetts Motorworks CEO Sean-Patrick O'Leary was overheard after the race berating the driver of the #976 for bringing attention to the company, which has the slogan "Refreshingly Mediocre".

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'm getting slightly worried about VickyHoo now

What's with Car 14 having a best lap 21s slower than the sister car?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

Double posting, but once again, the design challenge survey is still open...have your say in what goes into the next version!

Also, I am considering taking the time to put together a guide to tuning engines and chassis, for those who are interested.

A guide to tuning is always appreciated. Anything to give you some competition.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

simplefish posted:

What's with Car 14 having a best lap 21s slower than the sister car?

Just a typo, I will fix it tomorrow.

extreme_accordion posted:

A guide to tuning is always appreciated. Anything to give you some competition.

Alright once I finish hammering out the BRC Rally results (seriously, who thought a nine-stage rally would be a good idea? It's like, half a season's worth of of work for one event! :suicide:) I will start on the guide; part of it will be a tutorial for new players and part of it will be a guide to test and tune your cars.

E: I have to say that the first round of revisions has tightened up the field a lot, and there are a number of cars that are legitimate contenders to win, or very, very close to it. Beyond that, the backmarkers too could, with a good go-over on the engine and chassis, also be right up there too. As much as I want to win, I want you guys to be successful even more! :sun:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 10, 2016

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I appreciate the amount of work you already put into this, but i would also love to read a guide. I feel like I am just taking shots in the dark and sometimes things improve and most of the times they dont, it would be cool to understand it all a little better.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
"Great, we pretty much had to rebuild the whole back-end from scratch and we didn't even get classified? I am surprised that Irish orangutan isn't getting suspended over this."

- An anonymous LATOY mechanic, giving his two cents about the CMW driver involved in the accident.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I messed around with my cars so much now without saving them as revisions that I honestly can't tell if I've improved or just maintained.
I know I'm spending more fuel in the Open class but still have traction issues. I do think though that I can work those out and get competitive again in open.
Having a hard time wrapping my head around open vs touring... perhaps 1998cc's was too little to bring to the party :D

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

HILLMASTERS - CMW, FISH WIN BRC RALLY IN BATTLE OF ATTRITION

LIEGE - CMW Motorsport and FISH emerged as the victors from today's BRC rally, held high in the hills of eastern Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany, though it could be said that none of the winners had an entirely clean afternoon, with acccidents on the third and fourth stages of the rally retiring several cars, a couple of them definite front-runners. Right out of the block, Victorian Hooray, Modus Motors and FISH set the tone in the first stage, with cars from each of those teams posting the fastest times and earning critical bonus points for their teams. Championship-leading CMW struggled mightily out of the blocks, the slow, twisting first stage not suiting their tricky, rear-engined chassis all that well. The #13 FISH also struggled as their driver pairing had a mix-up in their pace notes, which ultimately cost them enough time that they finished well back in 14th place along side rivals from Fukushima Motors and Absolute Failure.

The second stage, with challenging corner complexes, fast straight, smooth pavement and good sightlines played perfectly into CMW and Modus Motors hands, with all of their entries putting up strong performances; Modus especially in Touring class, their high top speed playing well into this fast stage, with the #1 Advantage finishing five seconds clear of rivals Victorian Hooray. LATOY also put together some fantastic times in their cars on this stage, finishing fourth and sixth in Sportsman and notching a very surprising fourth place in Touring; the Scandinavian team said to be "right at home, now leave us alone!" at this event. Stage SD 1, a timed positioning stage that passed through a couple of local villages, thrilled fans and local residents alike, watching these high-performance GT and touring cars fly over the narrow, cobblestone streets at incredible speed, the drivers letting loose a little bit and putting on a spectacular show on more than one occasion; Robhol and Absolute Failure getting high marks from the fans for their lurid, oversteering slides around many of the sweeping bends in town, and with many eyes shining upon them, several teams rose to the occasion as well; Polkswagen cracked the top 10 while Massachusetts Motorworks, not expecting much more than average times, nearly won the stage outright, finishing barely two seconds behind the #14 FISH.

The fun and excitement wore off quickly in the third stage, when the class leading #912 CMW M4000B crashed heavily and spectacularly, barely out of sight from the start line. Both driver and co-driver were taken to hospital; their condition serious in both cases. It remains to be seen if the driver and co-driver (like all entries in the BRC rally, one of the drivers is used as a co-driver) will be able to recover from their injuries sufficiently to participate in the big race at Spa coming up. This turn of events put a damper on the otherwise excellent performance of the #911 car, and threw the team's aggressive racing strategy out the window; according to the rules, retired cars can only keep their bonus points in the final standings, which, if both cars retired, could prove to be a devastating blow in the constructor's championship. As such CMW Sportsman would be relegated to playing conservatively for the rest of the rally. Stage 4 proved to be an even greater challenge and even more costly, with the #999 Super Sabre and the #33 Automurdermotive Fireball both crashing hard in the same spot; the blind, off-camber corner slick with a rain shower that had just rolled through minutes beforehand. All drivers were taken to the on-site medical site for treatment and have been released, suffering little more than cuts and bruises. In spite of the challenging conditions, several teams posted excellent results otherwise; GIBS especially surprised a lot of people by finishing sixth in Sportsman, their Ladybird Sport V2 showing off its excellent stability and very forgiving road manners to great effect.

Stage SD 2 was another timed demonstration stage, again through a small village, this time in Luxembourg. Drivers and fans alike were uplifted by the short but challenging stage, with the #935 CMW posting the best time in Open, the #74 Modus Advantage S making it 3-for-3 in Sportsman and the #4 Fukushima putting together a domiant run in Touring, the #4 finishing almost nine seconds ahead of every other car in class, and in fact challenging the times set by the LATOY Sportsman team, who again strung together an inspiring run to fifth and sixth place. Fearing disaster was close at hand, the CMW Sportsman team rallied around their remaining car, which returned to form for the fifth stage, posting a time so fast it was described as "awe-inspring" and "supernatural" by astounded rivals and fans alike. That sentiment was also echoed over the #998 car, that team down to one car as well, as it split both CMWs in Open class.

Stage six, the longest and hardest stage of all, with its long, steep climbs and high-speed straights, shook up the results once again, with Absolute Failure finishing strongly in Open class behind the CMWs, Automurdermotive notching the win in Sportsman and the lead Dandy GTi winning in Touring, edging out the class-leading FISH Orso by a fraction of a second. The finish in Sportsman was exceptionally close as well, with less than two seconds separating the first-place Fireball from the third-place CMW, that car splitting both Modus Advantage Ses. Stage six also claimed a victim, with the #2 Modus Motors car coming into an hairpin bend too quickly and hitting a cobblestone wall, ending their day in frustrating fashion. Of course, what goes up must also come back down, and for the final timed demonstration stage we find the cars making the long, treacherous journey back down the mountain and into the village with the final finish line of the event. In spite of the semi-friendly nature of this stage, disaster struck for the race-leading #935 P4000TB, that car crashing spectacularly in what can only be described as an incident caused by the driver showboating. As their sister #934 car celebrated their unexpected victory, the drivers of the #935 were summoned to the team's trailer for what was likely a furious dressing-down by the team principal, last seen by your correspondent entering the CMW trailer red-faced and with veins bulging on his forehead, for their ineptitude. Elsewhere, Robhol showed some surprising speed, their well-cooled Schadenfreude quietly knocking off their rivals at GIBS for seventh and ninth place in-class on the stage, and proving that slow and steady can in fact pay off, the team largely avoiding disaster to notch up their first finish with both cars in the top-10 in class.

OVERALL WINNER: #934 CMW Motorsport P4000TB (Open)

Open Class

SECOND PLACE: #998 Victorian Hooray Super Sabre R1

THIRD PLACE: #925 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

Sportsman Class

FIRST PLACE: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000B

SECOND PLACE: #73 Modus Motors Advantage S

THIRD PLACE: #74 Modus Motors Advantage S

Touring Class

FIRST PLACE: #14 FISH Orso

SECOND PLACE: #98 Victorian Hooray Corsair R1

THIRD PLACE: #3 Fukushima Motors Dandy GTi

Race Results (Click for big - Stage-by-stage results are available in a PDF found here.)

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Really didn't expext to win. Even pre-season had expected the Dandy to be xleaning up on the rally stages.

Of course next race is Spa, so we at FISH don't even expect to get on the podium, bur we'll give it our best shot.

We'd feel sorry for Modus but after them trying to hitch a ride by driving through our boot, we're all out of symparhy for them. Thwy have been our closest rivals all season, unless you count (as we do) LATOY - in the sportsman class.

• Locked thread