Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Riso posted:

That CMW domination is getting quite boring. Good car, but very predictable.

Well, there will be another challenge in a few months in which you can all come back and kick my rear end. Let's pull back the curtain and discuss what's cooking at MrChips Labs!

The next challenge will be quite a bit different than this one; for one, there will be a total revolution in the rules/design criteria. If it works well enough, the overarching limitation will hopefully be a homologation formula; in other words, given a set factory criteria, you must be able to make X number of cars per day/shift/year (whatever time period works with the least hassle) - doing away with clunky Quality Point restrictions and possibly maximum cost rules too. There will be other restrictions too...spec tires and (likely) a fuel economy restriction in the form of a maximum fuel burn per hour. There will be four classes; one will be a prototype challenge, where contestants will be given a pre-designed body (with a setup handbook), and told to put an engine into the car. There will be three GT classes similar to what we see now, with the lowest class being a "road and race" challenge, where entrants will submit two trims of the same car; one a road car, which will be evaluated as such, and one a race car.

Also, I am toying with a separate "support" series - a one-class race designed solely for people using the Automation demo...which will hopefully allow interested people to try their hand at the game without the need to spend the money just yet. It will also be open to first-time players with the retail version who don't want to enter the main series. If I do the support race, I will investigate using BROBOT (a real-time simulation designed and operated by one of the posters on the Automation forums) for it; unfortunately BROBOT is not compatible with the longer races we run, and along with a few other things makes it not practical to use for the main challenge.

There are also several changes planned to my simulation model, the current version of which I would call version 2.1. I am pleased with the new dynamic weight simulation, but not so pleased with the new tire life model (a new, more comprehensive axle-load-based wear simulation is in the works), plus I created a couple of irritating bugs that I just can't solve without a total rewrite. Other things are on plan as well, in order of likelihood; weather simulation, pit stop strategies, individual driver simulation, and/or a business simulation, where every dollar that comes in (from racing purses, sponsors, marketing budgets, etc) are balanced against the total expenses of the project. These are all very preliminary concepts at the moment, so they are fleshed out to varying degrees at the moment.

If any of you have any other things you'd like to see, go throw them into the survey!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I think you should keep the maximum cost limit else it gets crazy real fast. Production time limits are good too but difficult to balance right.

I know what you mean about the brobot. As it turns out, the pit stops go crazy between hours two and three and cars start coming in every lap for <1s. Not good when you are planning an endurance race.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Riso posted:

I think you should keep the maximum cost limit else it gets crazy real fast. Production time limits are good too but difficult to balance right.

I know what you mean about the brobot. As it turns out, the pit stops go crazy between hours two and three and cars start coming in every lap for <1s. Not good when you are planning an endurance race.

Supposedly with the next update all the factory stuff being added might be able to do away with a maximum cost limit, but until the update actually comes out and I can experiment with it, it's just wishful guessing...

MrChips fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 20, 2016

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Riso posted:

Personally, I'd use production time limitation as a thing for Group A and other such types where homologation is necessary. For prototypes, It's not really relevant because they have a professional team to build everything on demand.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Alright, all the final revisions have been entered into the simulation. Here's where we stand with our entries:

Triple A posted:

Personally, I'd use production time limitation as a thing for Group A and other such types where homologation is necessary. For prototypes, It's not really relevant because they have a professional team to build everything on demand.

Some sort of control for the prototypes will be needed, even if it's just the prototype challenge. What or how I will go about it remains to be seen, but there will be some level of control.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just a quick reminder that the Orso (and even the stripped-down Orso R!) are 4-seaters and thus perfectly suited to your family needs! We are commissioning a series of advertisements, print and television, about how with our racing pedigree, you need no longer be embarrassed to have to take your wife's runabout to work

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
I sent a late revision, I hope it isnt too late!

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Post-season analysis of Absolute Failure cars is A-OK (I know the Touring class isn't that good).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Bobatron posted:

I sent a late revision, I hope it isnt too late!

Even though it was late, I decided to include your revision.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

RISE TO THE TOP - CMW, FISH WIN TRENTO-BONDONE HILLCLIMB

TRENTO - CMW Motorsport and FISH won their classes at the storied Trento-Bondone hillclimb today, though it seems that with the last round of revisions that both manufacturers, who lead the championship in all three categories between the two of them, now face serious challenges going into the last quarter of the SA-GT season. Automurdermotive especially, with their much improved Fireball vG, looks to have a legitimate chance of knocking CMW's absolutely dominant M4000B off the top step of the podium going forward. Today, Automurdermotive was satisfied splitting the two M4000Bs, finishing second and fourth in Sportsman class and coming within a second of the fastest run up the mountain of the day in that class.

Elsewhere, Massachusetts Motorworks' Touring-class entry, the 150, has undergone a substantial reengineering coming into this race and looks as well to be a contender for at very least podium finishes in the closing races of the season. FISH's Touring rivals, Fukushima and Modus, were unable to make up any ground on the championship leaders at this race, with Fukushima finishing in second and twelfth, and Modus finishing in fifth and ninth after struggling to find speed all day through the winding hairpin turns of the road running up toward Monte Bondone. The challenging, rough road and changing lighting conditions all day long flummoxed the drivers in all classes, with drivers struggling to make consistent runs up the mountain. With this last time trial event out of the way, the SA-GT circus picks up and heads off for a whirlwind tour around the world, stopping in Mexico City for a six-hour race at the challenging and fast Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, named for Mexico's beloved racing duo, then off to Australia and the exciting Mount Panorama circuit in Bathurst, then a stop in Japan for a race at the very fast and challenging - some would even say dangerous - Fuji Speedway, then return to Italy for the finale, the marquee 24-hour Targa Florio in Sicily, where one lap combines all of the elements we have seen in many of the circuits - the high speeds of Spa, the mountain climbs of Trento, the blasts through the villages as on the BRC Rally, into one brutally long, 72.6 kilometre lap. It is very likely this race will make - or break - the season for every participant.

Open Class

FIRST PLACE: #935 CMW Motorsport P4000TB

SECOND PLACE: #934 CMW Motorsport P4000TB

THIRD PLACE: #998 Victorian Hooray Super Sabre R1

]

Sportsman Class

FIRST PLACE: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000B

SECOND PLACE: #33 Automurdermotive Fireball vG

THIRD PLACE: #912 CMW Motorsport M4000B

Touring Class

FIRST PLACE: #13 FISH Orso R

SECOND PLACE: #3 Fukushima Motors Dandy GTi

THIRD PLACE: #76 Massachusetts Motorworks 150 Touring

Race Results

Season Results (Click for big)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Can you do a gallery of entrants at the end, please? I'd be interested to know what body shapes people picked across the field and how they distorted them

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Next time I do Open class I'm going gonzo.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
Well I can't tell if my revision is better or worse than the original. Back to the drawing board I guess. I would say that it appears that the body you select matters a lot more than is first evident in the selection screen. There seem to be a lot of hidden attributes.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's not really hidden. It's about the car's size and aero efficiency.

Base car weight is the hidden value. But here's a tip: -15 on body to lower weight and costs.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Wow 2nd-4th in Touring is going to to be a battle til the very last checkered flag!

I'm worried that my revisionless Sportsman car with its gloriously thirsty v12 won't be able to complete a lap in the last race, that won't be fun. Can my drivers sneak a spare fuel can into the cockpit somehow? Perhaps a camelback of gasoline? What's the worst that could happen?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Bobatron posted:

Well I can't tell if my revision is better or worse than the original. Back to the drawing board I guess. I would say that it appears that the body you select matters a lot more than is first evident in the selection screen. There seem to be a lot of hidden attributes.

Your car is faster on high-speed tracks - substantially so - but actually slower on low-speed tracks. One thing that hasn't helped much is that you're running with almost three times the cooling area you need. Also, that body isn't the most efficient aerodynamically, and tends to be on the heavy side. I built a Touring class car from it and the thing ended up weighing like 846 kilograms...leaving four kilos for fuel :pwn:

I am still working on my tuning guide; I'm a little disappointed I couldn't have it ready for this challenge, but it will be done before the end of the challenge on Friday. Additionally, unless there are objections, I am going to release an archive of everybody's entries, possibly as soon as tomorrow...I mean, with revisions closed and only four events left, there is no harm as far as I can see. Included will also be a couple of my unentered Touring class cars, which I also used for testing and reference purposes throughout the season as well as forming the basis for the tuning guide.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 23, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MASTERY - ABSOLUTE FAILURE, FISH WIN IN MEXICO, CMW CLENCHES SPORTSMAN TITLE

MEXICO CITY - CMW Motorsport capped off an incredible season this afternoon, with the M4000Bs in Sportsman class winning for the sixteenth time this season and clenching the Sportsman constructor in an exciting race with rivals Automurdermotive, whose upgraded Fireball vG was every bit as fast as predicted going into this race. In the end, it was only the slight fuel economy advantage of the M4000B that won the day.

Absolute Failure had a marquee day as well, sweeping the top two spots in Open class for the fourth time this season, narrowly beating the CMW P4000TBs and denying them the opportunity to clench the Open title in what was one of the closest finishes in Open class all season long. In the end, only a mistake by the #935, running wide into the Esses on the last lap, prevented them from reeling in their rivals and potentially winning the race. Massachusetts Motorworks Open had a race they would rather forget about, their cars struggling to find speed all weekend long and finishing far behind the rest of the class.

In Touring class, FISH won their eleventh race of the season, notching up and incredible 160 laps and averaging almost 118 kilometres per hour over the six hour race. However, their race was not trouble-free, with the #14 Orso R retiring after only two hours with suspension failure. Their failure to finish strong with both cars leaves them 145 points short of clenching the Touring class title, going into the crucial 12 Hours of Bathurst next round. Their only reprieve is that their closest rivals, Fukushima and Modus Motors, all suffered tire failures on the rough, poorly maintained surface at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez. Several drivers complained about the quality of the track surface throughout the weekend, and there were several other tire failures all weekend through practice and qualifying. Elsewhere, Victorian Hooray rounded out the final two podium spots in Touring class, finishing a lap ahead of fourth place Fukushima, who fought yet another pitched battle with Absolute Failure and Modus Motors, finishing literally door-to-door with Absolute Failure in a nail-biting finish. Whatever the outcome of the rest of the season, nobody can argue that Touring class has been anything short of dramatic with its close finishes, hard racing and the occasional frayed temper.

OVERALL WINNER: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000B (Sportsman)

Open Class

FIRST PLACE: #925 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

SECOND PLACE: #926 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

THIRD PLACE: #935 CMW Motorsport P4000TB

Sportsman Class

SECOND PLACE: #912 CMW Motorsport M4000B

THIRD PLACE: #33 Automurdermotive Fireball vG

Touring Class

SECOND PLACE: #99 Victorian Hooray Corsair R1

THIRD PLACE: #98 Victorian Hooray Corsair R1

Race Results

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

My touring entry did better than my disaster of an open entry :confuoot:

EDIT: and looking now with a larger screen... the only cars that did worse than my open cars were Robhol's Touring cars and two cars that had mechanical failures. :goleft:

EDIT 2: An observation - Every team in Open has been on the podium at least once (mine was the last team to have their first podium). It is Mathematically possible (but highly unlikely) that every CAR in Open will have visited the podium at least once (my #975 is the only one that hasn't yet) by the end of the season

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 24, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SWEET SUCCESS - CMW, FISH CLENCH TITLES, AUTOMURDERMOTIVE WINS IN CHAOTIC BATHURST RACE

BATHURST - CMW Motorsport clenched their second title of the SA-GT season with their Open class victory today, in spite of a massive accident at Forrest's Elbow after the #934 P4000TB suffered a brake failure while overtaking the #975 Massachusetts Motorworks 518 GTO, retiring both cars. In spite of this setback, CMW pressed on with their one remaining P4000TB to win the race, but not without a moment of sheer terror; with only minutes remaining in the race, the #935 struck one of the barriers coming down the mountain while avoiding slower traffic, and for a brief moment it looked as though the team's day had been cut short in heartbreaking fashion. Their fears were unfounded, however, as the car was able to limp back to the garage for a hasty repair, and the battle-scarred car was able to cross the finish line in first place nonetheless - stopping was not an option, if CMW were to clench on this day. Accidents in general were a deciding factor in today's race, with six accidents ending the days for three cars and played havoc to four more. Additionally, the extremely high track temperature caused serious issues to all competitors, with several cars suffering from heat-related failures in their electrical systems, as well as a number of severe tire problems throughout the entire weekend.

Adding to the festivities of CMW winning the Open title, FISH clenched the Touring class title in convincing fashion, finishing four laps clear of the third-place Victorian Hooray Corsair. Once again, the battle for second through fourth in Touring remains as close as ever going into the last two events of the season, with less than 180 points separating second-place Modus Motors, who had an unremarkable race, finishing fourth and fifth in class, from fourth-place Victorian Hooray, who finished third, but lost some ground to their rivals after the #98 car suffered what appeared to be a catastrophic overheating incident on-track, but sources in the team were heard after the race as saying the overheating was in fact caused by a failed water pump. In Sportsman class, Automurdermotive won their second race of the season in their new and improved Fireball vG, sweeping the top two spots of the podium and winning the race outright, covering 1759 kilometers for an average speed of 146.585 km/h - an astounding pace that we likely will not see matched for long time into the future. One has to wonder what the championship would look like if Automurdermotive was able to get their car to bear earlier in the season...and what CMW's response to the challenge would have been.

OVERALL WINNER: #33 Automurdermotive Fireball vG (Sportsman)

Open Class

SECOND PLACE: #926 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

THIRD PLACE: #925 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

Sportsman Class

FIRST PLACE: #33 Automurdermotive Fireball vG

SECOND PLACE: #34 Automurdermotive Fireball vG

Touring Class

SECOND PLACE: #14 FISH Orso R

THIRD PLACE: #99 Victorian Hooray Corsair R1

Race Results

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

And as promised, here is the archive of everybody's current cars. There is a little bit of funkiness with Robhol's Sportsman entry as well as the FISH Orso R, but that can be solved by going to one of the model tabs, then back to the trim tab, for some reason. Don't ask me why this works, it just does...Automation's saving system is still a little janky.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Nice to see that my tweaks worked. The difference between the original Fireball and the vG really demonstrates how important even small tweaks can be - when I made the original I didn't know how terrible oversteer was. Also, the model-trim weirdness is probably because the trim has a different shape than the base model. It can be fixed with the 'make this the default setup for new trims' button or whatever it was, I don't remember the tooltip exactly. It appears in the latter part of the model tabs and the icon is an arrow pointing down towards a car. Or up away from it, maybe.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Team Absolute Failure notes that if it had gotten the cooling right on the first submission, perhaps it would still be mathematically possible to catch CMW.

Failure. Accomplished.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Look it's a small Italian racing car from the 70s, of course the electronic side of things is going to be unreliable

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Boksi posted:

Nice to see that my tweaks worked. The difference between the original Fireball and the vG really demonstrates how important even small tweaks can be - when I made the original I didn't know how terrible oversteer was.

Small tweaks added up make huge differences - that's kind of the gist of the tuning guide I'm making. You can see that in action with my cars; compare the initial versions to the -B versions and you will see only small changes here and there, but they add up to a pretty significant performance improvement between them. Just to further that example, the first tune of the P4000TB would do a Nurburgring lap in 7:55.90; a tweak to the brake pads (and brake cooling area) took that to 7:55.35. Then, a change in sway bar stiffness took that to 7:54.40, followed by an adjustment of the rear spring stiffness that dropped the time to 7:53.95. Then, a change to the gear ratio closeness took the car to a 7:52.98, and a geared top speed adjustment took that to 7:52.83. So...simple changes, three seconds per lap, and that's on top of the 30-35% fuel economy improvement netted between versions!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

KAIZEN - AUTOMURDERMOTIVE MAKES IT TWO IN A ROW, VICTORIAN HOORAY CLOSES THE GAP AT FUJI

OYAMA - Automurdermotive swept the top two spots in Sportsman class, and indeed overall, in dominant fashion today at Fuji Speedway, the Fireball vGs showing their tremendous top-end speed to great effect. Covering 885 kilometres in six hours, the race-winning #33 Fireball vG averaged just shy of 148 kilometres per hour, the highest average speed outside Spa or Le Mans.

In Open class, CMW won the class, three laps ahead of the second-place #925 Absolute Failure, and in third place, Massachusetts Motorworks made their second appearance on the podium after the second cars for both CMW and Absolute Failure were hobbled in accidents, the #935 CMW finishing just barely over the requisite seventy percent distance to score points before it crashed heavily on the long, sweeping final corner. Meanwhile in Touring class, FISH won for the thirteenth time this season, taking the top two spots on the podium. In a show of tremendous pace once again, Victorian Hooray finished in third and fourth, closing the gap between them and their rivals in the constructor standings. Going into the last race, the punishing, quadruple-points Targa Florio, the gap between second-place Modus Motors and fourth-place Victorian Hooray stands at 164 points...anything can happen.

On that note, Modus Motors and the series organiser ran a simulated test to simulate the upcoming race; to everyone's relief, the Advantage S can complete a lap of the Sicilian track without running out of fuel...just barely.

OVERALL WINNER: #33 Automurdermotive Fireball vG (Sportsman)

Open Class

SECOND PLACE: #925 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

THIRD PLACE: #976 Massachusetts Motorworks 518 GTO

Sportsman Class

FIRST PLACE: #33 Automurdermotive Fireball vG

Touring Class

FIRST PLACE: #14 FISH Orso R

SECOND PLACE: #13 FISH Orso R

Race Results

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 27, 2016

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Targa Florio is going to be a fun one. It's incredible that only 9 people died in it; considering just how utterly ridiculous, persistent and challenging the whole event is.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

TEST OF RESOLVE - CMW OPEN STUMBLES, ABSOLUTE FAILURE AND FISH WIN BATTLE OF ATTRITION IN SICILY FINALE

BUONFORNELLO - Absolute Failure, CMW Sportsman and FISH all won their classes today at a chaotic, accident-filled Targa Florio, the challenging road course taking a tremendous toll in every class; only half of the Open-class cars wer running by the end of the race, with both CMWs and both Victorian Hoorays stopped due to accidents or mechanical failures. This cleared the way for Absolute Failure to sweep the top two spots in Open, winning for the fifth time this season, and for the #975 Massachusetts Motorworks 518 GTO to finish in third place - interestingly enough, this means that all eight Open cars have finished on the podium at some point this season. Also, with CMW Open struggling to win the big races this season, it shows just how crippling a blow Absolute Failure's double-retirement at Daytona was to start the season. Had they placed third and fourth in that race, as their speed suggested they should have, they would have won the Open constructor title by a whopping five points.

In Sportsman class, CMW won for the seventeenth time, the M4000B capping off an historic season with an exclamation point. Automurdermotive proved every bit as worthy at the CMWs once again, splitting the CMW entries by finishing in second and fourth place, with departing driver Ruben van Groot notching up his ninth podium finish of the season in the #34 car. Robhol and GIBS, two teams that unfortunately didn't make the bylines often enough this season, also matched or set season-high placings, showing once again that finishing an endurance race is often reward enough. Modus Motors, unfortunately, had a disasterous weekend in Sportsman class, with the #73 Advantage S crashing hard on their third lap, and the #74 car suffering two separate brake failures, the last of which on Lap 23 ended their day in the fast run through the village of Cerda

FISH capped their exemplary season with yet another win, making it fourteen on the season for the Italian marque. Victorian Hooray rounded out the podium for the fourth race in a row, but a bold move by Modus Motors on the second-to-last lap put them ahead, denying Victorian Hooray fourth place and a move into third place in the constructor championship. Regardless, Victorian Hooray's late charge up the standings, closing the gap to second place to a mere 109 points was an impressive feat nonetheless, and was every bit the equal of Absolute Failure's charge up the standings in both Open and Touring class. Third-place Fukushima, in their first year of endurance racing, showed incredible resolve and dedication against their larger, better-funded competitors, but in the end their lack of budget for revising their otherwise promising car was responsible for their late-season fade.

OVERALL WINNER: #911 CMW Motorsport M4000B (sportsman)

Open Class

FIRST PLACE: #926 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

SECOND PLACE: #925 Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

THIRD PLACE: #975 Massachusetts Motorworks 518 GTO

Sportsman Class

Touring Class

FIRST PLACE: #14 FISH Orso R

SECOND PLACE: #13 FISH Orso R

Race Results

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 29, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

With this, we now conclude the SA-GT 1975 season. Thank you everyone for participating; I know I had quite a bit of fun putting this simulation together, even if it was an enormous amount of work. In the process of putting this together, I needed no fewer than 16 spreadsheets (admittedly, many of them were automated partially or fully), 20-30 hours of time with the Track Editor building the ten custom tracks and two hillclimbs we used in this simulation, as well as a similar amount of time in Automation itself putting together lap times, designing my own cars and whatnot. Regardless, the result was worth it in the end, I hope.

The next challenge will be in a few months, once we see a couple more updates to the game and once I flesh out the rules and models for the next simulation. Up next, I will be posting a gallery of the participants, with a quick summary of their characteristics, and after that, I will be making a regular thread in Games in the next couple of days so that we can continue our discussions there. Additionally, if any of you want to post a technical analysis of their entries, go right ahead! In the meantime, I am happy to announce that the next challenge will take place in...1989!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I just want to thank you again for running this and for all the hard work you've put into it. I really enjoyed the design process, the pre-season anticipation of what other people might design, and trying to guess whether the car as designed was good enough or whether to spend just a little more time tweaking.... The revision token system I know just added to your workload but I think it was a really good idea. It's a fun engineering game but it gains a lot from other humans being part of it.

Thanks once again, and see you all in 14 years!

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Team Absolute Failure would like to announce its intention to challenge for the 1989 crown, noting that SOMEHOW a team that failed utterly at season's start could have won the series.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Massachusetts Motorworks engineers are already doing the groundwork on several engine families for 1989.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Well, keep those pencils sharp guys, because there will be some serious curveballs in the next challenge :)

Also, the gallery will be coming as soon as I get home...I would have posted it earlier, but somebody forgot to upload the posts to their Google Drive yesterday evening...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

First Place: FISH Orso R

Front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Top Speed: 215 km/h
0-100 km/h: 6.2s
Weight F/R%: 52.6/47.4
Unit Cost: $6494.63

Second Place: Modus Motors Advantage

Top Speed: 223 km/h
0-100 km/h: 7.4s
Weight F/R%: 45.9/54.1
Unit Cost: $5950.47

Third Place: Fukushima Motors Dandy GTi

Top Speed: 226 km/h
0-100 km/h: 7.1s
Weight F/R%: 52.7/47.3
Unit Cost: $6492.71

Fourth Place: Victorian Hooray Corsair R1

Top Speed: 231 km/h
0-100 km/h: 6.2s
Weight F/R%: 45.6/54.4
Unit Cost: $5728.61

Fifth Place: Absolute Failure Natural One

Top Speed: 217 km/h
0-100 km/h: 6.7s
Weight F/R%: 54.5/45.5
Unit Cost: $6494.11

Sixth Place: Massachusetts Motorworks 150 Touring

Top Speed: 211 km/h
0-100 km/h: 6.4s
Weight F/R%: 51.4/48.6
Unit Cost: $6453.43

Seventh Place: Automurdermotive Feigr V6

Front-engine, front-wheel drive
Top Speed: 199 km/h
0-100 km/h: 6.8s
Weight F/R%: 64.4/35.6
Unit Cost: $5921.13

Eighth Place: LATOY Rallimies TKM

Top Speed: 200 km/h
0-100 km/h: 6.9s
Weight F/R%: 56.5/43.5
Unit Cost: $5565.94

Ninth Place: Polkswagen Advantage

Top Speed: 226 km/h
0-100 km/h: 7.5 s
Weight F/R%: 52.4/47.6
Unit Cost: $6183.61

Tenth Place: Robhol Touring Schiesse

Front-engine, front-wheel drive
Top Speed: 193 km/h
0-100 km/h: 9.1s
Weight F/R%: 56.4/43.6
Unit Cost: $5487.06

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

First Place: CMW Motorsport M4000B

Rear-engine, rear-wheel drive
Top Speed: 294 km/h
0-100 km/h: 4.8s
Weight F/R%: 24.3/75.7
Unit Cost: $12855.01

Second Place: Modus Motors Advantage S

Top Speed: 298km/h
0-100 km/h: 5.6s
Weight F/R%: 49.0/51.0
Unit Cost: $12149.39

Third Place: Automurdermotive Fireball vG

Top Speed: 302 km/h
0-100 km/h: 4.1s
Weight F/R%: 24.4/75.6
Unit Cost: $10194.70

Fourth Place: LATOY Rallimestari

Top Speed: 239 km/h
0-100 km/h: 6.4s
Weight F/R%: 55.7/44.3
Unit Cost: $10704.93

Fifth Place: GIBS Ladybird Sport V2

Top Speed: 244 km/h
0-100 km/h: 7.3s
Weight F/R%: 58.9/41.1
Unit Cost: $12045.33

Sixth Place: Robhol Sportsman Schadenfreude

Top Speed: 199 km/h
0-100 km/h: 7.6s
Weight F/R%: 57.9/42.1
Unit Cost: $12684.40

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

First Place: CMW Motorsport P4000TB

Top Speed: 295 km/h
0-100 km/h: 4.8s
Weight F/R%: 22.5/77.5
Unit Cost: $21602.07

Second Place: Absolute Failure Pit of Burning Money

Top Speed: 303 km/h
0-100 km/h: 5.2s
Weight F/R%: 57.5/42.5
Unit Cost: $31266.04

Third Place: Massachusetts Motorworks 518 GTO

Top Speed: 300 km/h
0-100 km/h: 5.7s
Weight F/R%: 58.0/42.0
Unit Cost: 31280.53

Fourth Place: Victorian Hooray Super Sabre R1

Top Speed: 264 km/h
0-100 km/h: 6.1s
Weight F/R%: 48.1/51.9
Unit Cost: $15752.91

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
So, the overall trends are: Everyone loves the FR layout and mechanical fuel injection.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Injection was a real must for fuel economy, as much as I love slapping on the 4-barrel carbs and watching horsepower jump

I find it really interesting that I have the lowest top speed of the top 5 cars in touring, and the 6th slowest car in class. - remember this is the updated version too, the original was even slower

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

simplefish posted:

Injection was a real must for fuel economy, as much as I love slapping on the 4-barrel carbs and watching horsepower jump

I find it really interesting that I have the lowest top speed of the top 5 cars in touring, and the 6th slowest car in class. - remember this is the updated version too, the original was even slower

Touring class was mostly about weight control and suspension tuning, seeing as nearly everyone had the same horsepower. Interestingly, the top three cars in Touring finished in order of their fuel consumption as well - not surprising when you consider that they were all in effectively the same state of chassis tune.

Another thing that I didn't notice until just now was the staggering number of cars that used cast-iron engines. I mean, it is a good way to get easy, cheap reliability but the weight penalty is pretty huge.

LATE EDIT: My construction and tuning guide is ready, finally! Let me know if you want anything added, if you have any suggestions or I've made a mistake or omitted something!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 29, 2016

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure I'll have picked this game up by the next time the LP resumes. Looking forward to the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Ceciltron posted:

I'm pretty sure I'll have picked this game up by the next time the LP resumes. Looking forward to the next one.

Please experiment with some unconventional entries, I want to see how an RR car would have fared in the Touring category.

• Locked thread