Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Wormskull posted:

Nintendo also has the best current D-Pads, so, there's also that.

i like the ds4 dpad pretty well. fighting games on it dont destroy my thumbs at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I got that with my xbox. It's definitely the best feeling controller I've got, as far as materials and texture are concerned, but I took out the paddles and still haven't found a reason to put them back.

I have a modded ds4 with buttons on the boomerang legs and it's unbelievably awesome for my soulsmans and shootmans

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I like my xbox one controller more than my 360 controller

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I got used to the LB/RB on the XBO controller a lot faster than I had been expecting to since I've seen people complaining about it everywhere.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

tumor looking batty posted:

I like my xbox one controller more than my 360 controller

I think everyone should. There's two buttons on the 360 controller that were just complete nonsense, the LB/RB ones, and the Dpad obviously.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've only ever used 360 controllers at friends places and every single time I've used one , an LB or RB button was broken

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
dont buy a ds4 just for pc gaming, in my opinion,

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I did.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

*farts loudly* Ah poo poo. SSmells like my own rear end in here! good thing i have the controller of a console I don't own. Mad Phat WIN son!!!!! >/trading Beerhat for Sale Tokens, gaben is gawd

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

*farts loudly* Ah poo poo. SSmells like my own rear end in here! good thing i have the controller of a console I don't own. Mad Phat WIN son!!!!! >/trading Beerhat for Sale Tokens, gaben is gawd

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

This is going to sound made up but I legit farted pretty drat loud as I waited for the page to load that post.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Da fuq

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

NickRoweFillea posted:

The Nintendo D-pad has been the best part of Nintendo controllers, console and portable, since the GameCube

Its actually the games. Thank u miyamoto you are my truest ally

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

no get a 360 pad they made the sticks and bumpers on the xbone pad feel weird

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

The Nintendo D-pad has been the best part of Nintendo controllers, console and portable, since the GameCube

the dpad on gamecube was incredibly bad. what are you thinkin pal

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I don't like the dpad on my 360 controller its in an odd spot. Someone linked one that looked good in here earlier. IDK if the bone fixed the location of the dpad or not but if it did not i would advise getting something else that is way cheaper.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I got a steam controller yesterday and its pretty cool,if ur lazy like me you can just grab the most used community config for a game instead of messing with it, it remembers what button mapping u use for each game as well and the controller makes Nokia ringtone sounds u can customize.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

crunk dork posted:

I got a steam controller yesterday and its pretty cool,if ur lazy like me you can just grab the most used community config for a game instead of messing with it, it remembers what button mapping u use for each game as well and the controller makes Nokia ringtone sounds u can customize.

they had to remove two of the sounds because they were bricking controllers or something

one thing that sucks about the steam controller is that some games dont support mixed controls so you ahve to duplicate entire gamepad setups just so you can use mouse mode on the right pad. joystick mode on the right pad is just miserable

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

im shocked people keep buying steam controllers

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

what does it have over an xbox one or ps4 controller. is it a weird touchpad mouse thing? why not just use a mouse?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
To me it feels like a good mix of gamepad and mouse and was extremely easy to use without have to gently caress with button mappings too much... And no 3rd party input wrapper/driver like I had to use with a ds3

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I guess if u like a ps4 or Xbox controller use that, but on the other hand it's good to try new thing

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

crunk dork posted:

To me it feels like a good mix of gamepad and mouse and was extremely easy to use without have to gently caress with button mappings too much... And no 3rd party input wrapper/driver like I had to use with a ds3

i was mainly curious, i guess it'd be nice in something like mgsv where you only have two speeds (running and walking) because they hosed up the pc controls for that at least

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SM64Guy posted:

what does it have over an xbox one or ps4 controller. is it a weird touchpad mouse thing? why not just use a mouse?

if you use trackball mode for the mouse and also use motion controls (i use one of the back buttons to enable it) you get insane precision, and it's as comfortable as a normal controller

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWf-q0FxTBM this dude is the steam controller whisperer and explains why you'd want to use it and how ti use it in a lot of games

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Doctor Goat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWf-q0FxTBM this dude is the steam controller whisperer and explains why you'd want to use it and how ti use it in a lot of games

is the dpad really good enough for platformers and fighting games? that was a big thing that always turned me off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FGs definitely not, from what I've heard

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
the wonderful thing about this generation is that you can use any of the consoles controllers on the pc with a bare minimum of hassle, so you can just use whatever fits your hands and muscle memory best

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm really glad that fighting sticks have gotten to the point where I just plug it into the computer and it works with 0 hassle on like 10 different game and programs. Which is very handy

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SM64Guy posted:

is the dpad really good enough for platformers and fighting games? that was a big thing that always turned me off

it doesn't feel like it at first but it's all up to your configuration

i just turned on the beta thing that lets you see raw input and the touchpad is incredibly sensitive. i might give it a try later bound as a joystick to see how it goes in usfiv or something

edit: i gave it a try. it's weird. I put my finger on the dpad direction i'm going to push well before i do it normally and since it's in touch mode the dpad detects that as me going ahead and pushing it

the angles also feel kind of wrong but that's probably just me, i kept trying to do dan's kick move and doing d,db instead of d,db,b

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 29, 2015

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

I'm really glad that fighting sticks have gotten to the point where I just plug it into the computer and it works with 0 hassle on like 10 different game and programs. Which is very handy

yeah i wouldnt play a fg with it but if the dpad works for those it would seem like it could function with anything mainly

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The steam controller is deece but for certain D-pad heavy things I use my Wii U controller.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It has a gyroscope also so if you're one of the people who manages to get used to gyro controls easily then there you go probably.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

It has a gyroscope also so if you're one of the people who manages to get used to gyro controls easily then there you go probably.

There's a cool vid of some guy who mapped the D-pad to the gyroscope and was pulling off shoryukens in USFIV with calculated controller whips.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

There's a cool vid of some guy who mapped the D-pad to the gyroscope and was pulling off shoryukens in USFIV with calculated controller whips.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

power overwhelming

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

In Training posted:

hell yeah.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
If sticking something in your butt is still on the table, I recommend the Steam Controller for that.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

NT Plus posted:

If sticking something in your butt is still on the table, I recommend the Steam Controller for that.

... Is this the twisted poo poo that passes as humor around here nowadays? Serioiusly dude? It's a controller not a flipping dildo. FFS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Gabe designed it to suit whatever need we deem necessary. :colbert:

• Locked thread