Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so I went to Fry's earlier, checking out all of the latest hardwares. I saw this pre-built system and as I tried to open the front of the case, I realized that it doesn't open because lol at removable media. this made me aware of how out of touch I am with my computer building roots. it's been many years since I've built my own machine, I just buy macs now and don't janitor them or play video games like a baby. but the fire is still burning inside me, the need to build a kicking rad rig gaming rig, with mad graphics and fast storage, optimized for kicking your loving rear end.

help me, yospos. remind me what a stupid idea this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
build that rig

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDM0yz4EuXA

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
build dat rig, chuck w7 on it, playa da game and be content

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
use a rig for hobbies and entertainment while still using the mac for work

it's what i do

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

building a pc makes no sense

if you insist on having a garbage pc just buy a dell with a 3 year warranty that can take a full sized video card (which are enormous these days)

put in your own video card and more RAM

then if/when any components fail they'll fall under dell warranty instead of dealing with awful taiwanese RMA processes because who has loving time for that

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

its also the only way to get a computer case that's not 4 feet tall and doesnt have an enormous amount of dead space because the prebuilt computer is already optimized for thermal poo poo so the case can be small and the fans optimally placed and sized

lol if youre a grown adult with an antec case with 120mm fans and poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i built a sick rig when i was 17 and my mom took a pic of me putting it together .. and every time i look at it i get nostalgic for those halcyon days :kiddo: and yet we must let go. attachment only causes more suffering. buy a mac

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

it's kinda fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its the best

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

What would a lan party be without crt monitors on plywood

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I picked out an i7 motherboard and poo poo a while back and asked a friend to actually do the build, that's my Linux box

otherwise the interesting hardware to play with these days are single board computers, not PCs

I set up the Linux box p much just to avoid setting up any cross-development environments (beyond Arduino) on my Mac, and because FPGA toolchains generally offer a choice of only Windows and Linux right now

at Fry's get yourself a RPi 2, a couple Arduino clones (a Due clone if they have one, 84 MHz ARM!), and an Edison with breakout board (either 1.8V or Arduino), and start building poo poo for real

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

eschaton posted:

asked a friend to actually do the build

jesus christ, get out

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

I picked out an i7 motherboard and poo poo a while back and asked a friend to actually do the build, that's my Linux box

this is p embarrassing tbh

quote:

otherwise the interesting hardware to play with these days are single board computers, not PCs

I set up the Linux box p much just to avoid setting up any cross-development environments (beyond Arduino) on my Mac, and because FPGA toolchains generally offer a choice of only Windows and Linux right now

at Fry's get yourself a RPi 2, a couple Arduino clones (a Due clone if they have one, 84 MHz ARM!), and an Edison with breakout board (either 1.8V or Arduino), and start building poo poo for real

I do that poo poo at work every day, I'm not going to waste my vacation on it, too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

build your self a set of wings and fly on over to gbs imo

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

gonna get a raspberry pi soon. idk what i'll do with it, but they're just so...

they're just so cute. :kiddo:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

build your self a set of wings and fly on over to gbs imo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cyberbird posted:

gonna get a raspberry pi soon. idk what i'll do with it

:shepface:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
learn how to open up and service a mac you dumb poo poo

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

pram you seem extra mad tonight

pram
Jun 10, 2001
conversely i would be unable to tell if your mood had shifted, or was different in any way, because you are ephemeral white noise

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

conversely i would be unable to tell if your mood had shifted, or was different in any way, because you are ephemeral white noise

drat getting a little existential in this thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

ice burn

pram
Jun 10, 2001
rig building is a subject serious enough to warrant thoughtful introspection imo

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
maybe you should do something useful like build a shed or sire a child

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"
do it

I built a HTPC for plex & steam big picture and it was a cathartic exercise. I get a lot of use out of it too, without having to actually interact with Windows to much.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
gonna replace my 6 year old power supply on wednesday and maybe get a gtx 970 soon.

thinking about jumping from 16 to 32 or 64 GB of ram too...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice man

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

build a rig and hackintosh it

many mobos work oob

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pram has an emoji named after him :pram:

is this supposed to be him, the emotion he inspires, or how we are supposed see his posts? im something of a student in these matters.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Management posted:

so I went to Fry's earlier, checking out all of the latest hardwares. I saw this pre-built system and as I tried to open the front of the case, I realized that it doesn't open because lol at removable media. this made me aware of how out of touch I am with my computer building roots. it's been many years since I've built my own machine, I just buy macs now and don't janitor them or play video games like a baby. but the fire is still burning inside me, the need to build a kicking rad rig gaming rig, with mad graphics and fast storage, optimized for kicking your loving rear end.

help me, yospos. remind me what a stupid idea this is.

well most e-peen gaming rigs rarely see the inside of a game .exe so idk man do what you want

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

PC rigs are really big. they also have a lot of cords. and you will probably need a bunch of dongles. it's gonna be hell

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i did this last night op. learn from my mistakes

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Make sure it runs SteamOS so that you can play sweet titles such as Street Fighter V.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PleasureKevin posted:

PC rigs are really big. they also have a lot of cords. and you will probably need a bunch of dongles. it's gonna be hell

lame dont bring your dongle bullshit here

and you know what motherfucker? I had to conenct a loving USB CORD to my MAC AIR RUNNING OSX because it is fail as hell with my printer which WINDOWS PRINTS FINE EVERY SINGLE TIME OVER WIFI WITHOUT A THE CABLES

MAMMIAA MIA!!!!

BONGHITZ posted:

pram has an emoji named after him :pram:

is this supposed to be him, the emotion he inspires, or how we are supposed see his posts? im something of a student in these matters.

every post can be read assuming he looks like this just after he posts it as he is rereading it

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

and you know what motherfucker? I had to conenct a loving USB CORD to my MAC AIR RUNNING OSX because it is fail as hell with my printer which WINDOWS PRINTS FINE EVERY SINGLE TIME OVER WIFI WITHOUT A THE CABLES

MAMMIAA MIA!!!!

never said macs didn't need dongles, just that people often say they do, and windows desktops need a lot more in my experience cause they usually don't have wifi/bluetooth/mic/webcam built-in

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine getting disapointed that a computer youre building from scratch doesn't have things built in

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

as already discussed, there's no bluetooth cards. and even if there was who want's a huge case to hold all thos fuggin cards. so better get a mobo with BT and oh poo poo they're $450 at NCIX. so you need a stupid dongle with a blinkenlight built in that lights up your living room at night. and it ships with one of those mini-CD's that doesn't fit in your slot-loader drive. so you download the drivers off a chinese website, but you can see your device, and type in the security code, but after that it does nothing. so after 10 failed attempts you uninstall the driver and install some third party bluetooth stack with a weird interface but oh well it works.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you think you are criticizing pcs but you are just criticizing your own life decisions

• Locked thread