Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I just KNEW nothing good would come from social media.

drat kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

We Spoke to Lauren Chief Elk, the Woman Behind #GiveYourMoneytoWomen, About the Power of Cold Hard Cash

Lauren Chief Elk (left) and Yeoshin Lourdes, the co-creator behind the #GiveYourMoneyToWomen hashtag. Photo courtesy of Lauren Chief Elk

quote:

But the idea behind the hashtag was even better than that: Women were banding together to demand payment for all the emotional work we do that goes completely unpaid—the exhausting work of being a tolerant, gentle, nurturing, listening woman in our relationships with men, at all times. Women put up with a lot of bullshit, and we have a science-backed term for it: Emotional labor. And as with any kind of labor, women are now ready and eager to get paid.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/give-your-money-to-women-its-simple-284

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm with Demonachizer and Skeleton Ape, I'm just going to live my life as a good person and ignore narcissistic social media as much as I can

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Sorry, but being cis and white means you aren't a good person by default, repentcheck your priviledge, also give us money donate to our patreon pay us for emotional labor.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I am in favor of femparations

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What kind of responses have you received from women?

Lauren Elk posted:

Honestly, it's been overwhelmingly white women who've been upset about the hashtag. Women of color have been rejoicing in song over this whole movement. It has been overlooked by mainly white women who've been like, "This is ridiculous and giving feminism a bad name, what do you think you're doing." It's been interesting to see the racial divide.

What about less extreme situations, where women aren't in explicitly abusive situations but are performing a great deal of emotional labor?

Lauren Elk posted:

Emotional labor—the amount of things that women have to do, acting as the therapist to men; absorbing everything that comes out of them with a happy face; swallowing our feelings to not make things more complicated; learning that if we do start voicing displeasure, that's probably not going to get a positive response; always having to be happy and peppy and taking care of their feelings and their outbursts—whether that's in a work environment, relationship, or friendship, it's a lot of work to just put up with what's dealt out. I think there are lots of overlaps between emotional labor and abuse, having to navigate [around men], having to dance around their hotspots, dance around what they're going to be laying out on you. It's a ton of work. It is wearing and draining.

And god forbid you say something to them that is trying to put them in check. That's also work, having to [tell them off] or hold it in.

When I shared the #GiveWomenYourMoney sentiment on social media, one woman got very upset in particular. She argued that men do emotional labor all the time, too. "All of my best friends are guys," that sort of thing.

Lauren Elk posted:

There might be these individual instances [of men performing great feats of emotional labor], but that's not the structure we live under. We live under a heteropatriarchal structure, which is why we call this a gender-based violence. We live in a male-dominated world, and that's part of why there is so much interpersonal violence and why the overwhelming perpetrators are men. These individual instances happen, but I'm not really worried about that. There's this thing called male privilege. That's what I'm more worried about. Also, who has all of the loving wealth? Who has all of the power? Oh my god, one time you had to deal with a woman's emotional outburst, poor you.

Could you give me some more specific examples of emotional labor?

Lauren Elk posted:

Acting as a therapist to men. Putting on a perky face for that. Having to be a yes person, always saying "Oh yes," and "You're so right," and "So great." Absorbing whatever kinds of outbursts they have—it's mostly always anger—and having a happy face on and nodding. Emotional labor is also hiding your feelings, not challenging, not voicing your displeasure for whatever reason, just keeping things inside. That's a lot of work, to swallow your feelings in fear, like If I voice this, things are going to get really bad for me in this environment. It wears down your self-esteem, your sense of self, your confidence, all sense of your being! This is heavy! It's heavy to do this and have to do this all of the time.

I know that's a lot of words for GBS, but I think it's funny that this very messed up woman is assuming her broken self applies for all women.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lauren Elk posted:

I go on Twitter enough to know that men are very angry. Very, very angry.

I guess I could have just posted this instead of :words:

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Guaranteed minimum income movement was going nowhere so they moved the goalposts to "guaranteed minimum income for twitter feminist celebrities".

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

maybe if she could get a man to take care of her she wouldn't have these problems

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Demonachizer posted:

I feel like normal rational people will still exist and be happy and also remain completely indifferent to the poo poo that article is talking about. Like if you don't read the internet and have a job you love, a family you enjoy, and a life, whether or not 2015 was the year of "male tears" is probably not even on your radar.

EDIT:

It is like if you made a website that talked about how oatmeal is the greatest food and posted about it all the time there, linked oatmeal related news, read posts from others that 100% agree that oatmeal is the best, etc. you might think that the whole world cares about oatmeal and agrees with you.

this but ironically

common sense is dead and mental illness is the new normal and will be driving new legislation for the foreseeable future

gagelion2
Dec 8, 2015

by Shine
ah yes, if you put nice tokens into men you should get money out, its only fair, thats not creepy and sexist or anything

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.

Frosted Flake posted:

We Spoke to Lauren Chief Elk, the Woman Behind #GiveYourMoneytoWomen, About the Power of Cold Hard Cash

Would. But I'd bail leave before she subjected me to emotional labor.

Seriously has this bitch not spent time with other women? If listening to people piss and moan was paid work the fellas would be rolling in that poo poo.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Men who refuse to pay the emotion tax will be forced to wear a mandatory fedora and forbidden to shave so that women will know not to come near them.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lauren Chief Elk ("Chief Elk" is her last name, both words) got into a stupid Twitter fight with Rosie O'Donnell about Feminism that devolved into fighting about Rosie O'Donnell referring to her as "Chief" in her tweets and not by the full "Chief Elk"

Millenial Focus

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Professor Shark posted:

I know that's a lot of words for GBS, but I think it's funny that this very messed up woman is assuming her broken self applies for all women.

Well, the thing is she found many other broken women to support her cause so now it's a legit social issue, gg

This sort of thing isn't going away anytime soon

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Pathetic little mancreature. Soon, all of you will know my hate, and suffer as I have suffered.
*purses lips, takes selfie*

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Guys, I do a lot of emotional labour on GBS so please pay me, my pateron is

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Calico Heart posted:

uh no!!! not a flavour of the week that will affect nothing!!!!!!!

Dude this generation is so hosed, to be honest. This poo poo isn't just on the internet. I wish it was.

Pretty much everyone involved on every side is a loving idiot.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 27, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Roy posted:

Guys, I do a lot of emotional labour on GBS so please pay me, my pateron is

i've read your posts and i think you'll find that you should be paying me

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

nothing to see here folks just from fringe loonies :razz:

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Dude this generation is so hosed, to be honest. This poo poo isn't just on the internet. I wish it was.

the internet has always produced retarded social movements. it'll take any nice decent thing and then wringe it until it's basically that monster at the end of The Thing.

"raaargh give your money to women raargh"

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm willing to support this tax on the condition that the money for it can only be collected from between a man's legs in public transit.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

mods please rename me to tweet thief tia

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm a literal work of art

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm a literal work of art

That one is almost certainly Ironic Tweeting

gagelion2
Dec 8, 2015

by Shine

4th from the bottom is hilarious and pretty obviously how all of this is going to play out. one day in the not too distant future women will all start eating each other based on who is black, disabled, mentally ill, what the gently caress ever and everyone will die

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
My dog died in 2015, so it's true, I did cry. I'll miss you buddy :smith:

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

gagelion2 posted:

4th from the bottom is hilarious and pretty obviously how all of this is going to play out. one day in the not too distant future women will all start eating each other based on who is black, disabled, mentally ill, what the gently caress ever and everyone will die

If only there was a system in place to help the less fortunate. Perhaps it could be run by the government, and all of us could chip in. Those who have more money could chip in more.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That big post I made with quotations from the Vice article already has Lauren Chief Elk calling out White women for not supporting her terrible idea

gagelion2
Dec 8, 2015

by Shine
this is the fatal flaw and inevitable endpoint of every movement based on pure narcissism and naked greed, see for reference the republican party

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"Where’s My Cut?”: On Unpaid Emotional Labor

quote:

Of course, I don’t really want to make a living giving men false hope. But what if I wanted to make a living yelling at them about why their false hope is dumb?

This is a thing I do frequently now for free. Somehow, despite increasingly noisy misandry, I have amassed a small cadre of men who think I’m a good person to confide in. These are friends and partners, so it goes without saying that they are generally not confiding hosed-up attitudes about women, but they’re also straight men with feelings; consequently, I’ve seen my share of “how do I make her fall back in love with me,” “how do I make her regret rejecting me,” “how do I change her mind.”

quote:

If we wanted to charge someone else money for these services, it would not be considered absurd. But emotional labor? Offering advice, listening to woes, dispensing care and attention? That’s not supposed to be transactional. People are disturbed by the very notion that someone would charge, or pay, for friendly support. It’s supposed to come free. Why?

quote:

It was beautiful to watch #GiveYourMoneyToWomen unfold. Men got angry, and then women explained to them that to have their anger acknowledged, they would have to pay. This made them angrier, of course, but without a donation, who was listening? Even now, when you Google the hashtag, nearly the whole first results page consists of furious MRAs. (I didn’t click through, though. Who exactly was going to make it worth my while?)

quote:

Enough of that. We don’t necessarily need to insist that men just give us their money – though you should, if that works for you, and write down what they say because I bet it’ll be funny. But we absolutely get to recognize that the constant labor of placating men and navigating patriarchal expectations is exhausting because it’s work. ( Incidentally, women of color should probably be getting recompense from men and white women; emotionally pampering white people while living within white supremacist culture is just as much of an effort if not more, and they’re doing both.)

http://the-toast.net/2015/07/13/emotional-labor/

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

DenizenKane posted:

Seriously has this bitch not spent time with other women? If listening to people piss and moan was paid work the fellas would be rolling in that poo poo.

This was honestly my first thought, its way more socially acceptable for women to dump their emotional baggage on everyone around them than men. If anything a common thing with guys is that they don't open up to anyone to an unhealthy extent. We're raised from a young age to walk everything off and suck it up, girls were the ones taught to talk through their issues with friends/family.

That said this whole thing is largely an ignorable nonissue, plenty of women out there who think that poo poo is dumb too. If you're not a college student right now this stuff should have zero impact on your life.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Haha it's pretty convenient that everyone who disagrees with you happens to belong to a relatively small group of mainly Internet based weirdos

To be honest this entire movement feels like something made up by MRAs: women demand to be paid for men to talk to them, like common whores?!

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

This was honestly my first thought, its way more socially acceptable for women to dump their emotional baggage on everyone around them than men. If anything a common thing with guys is that they don't open up to anyone to an unhealthy extent. We're raised from a young age to walk everything off and suck it up, girls were the ones taught to talk through their issues with friends/family.

That said this whole thing is largely an ignorable nonissue, plenty of women out there who think that poo poo is dumb too. If you're not a college student right now this stuff should have zero impact on your life.

Yeah pretty much.

I think she's just uncomfortable with men opening up to her at all, and this is her way of navigating that discomfort. She probably needs some therapy herself more than anything (the paid kind).

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Frosted Flake posted:

So wait, if we don't pay her, she will shut up and go away? :ohdear:

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Demonachizer posted:

I feel like normal rational people will still exist and be happy and also remain completely indifferent to the poo poo that article is talking about. Like if you don't read the internet and have a job you love, a family you enjoy, and a life, whether or not 2015 was the year of "male tears" is probably not even on your radar.
my boyfriend knows that the internet is a place for him to buy me stuff and also to look at lawnmowers and toolboxes and poo poo he has no concept of what people who are not painfully well-adjusted do think or say in the howling voids of cyberspace and his blithe ignorance is my soul's refuge

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Totalizator posted:

So wait, if we don't pay her, she will shut up and go away? :ohdear:

Funny you should mention that...

Why I Am Not Coming In To Work Today

http://the-toast.net/2013/12/17/not-coming-to-work-today/

By Jess Zimmerman on December 17, 2013 in WORK & BUSINESS

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Yeah what is the game plan here to get the money from men? What happens if a dude already gave away his money to another women?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Skeleton Ape posted:

People born in the 90s and all their rules are very confusing to me, I'm just going to continue to be a normal decent person if that's ok.

it's true you can actually close your eyes, put fingers in your ears, and the bad people magically go away

this is science

• Locked thread