Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
What is the furthest you've ever walked in a day (or continuously?). It doesn't have to be a "hike", where you go to a trailhead and have a route. It can be walking because you need to, because you had to get somewhere, or just because you started walking and didn't stop.

When I was 19, I was leaving college in May. This was in a small town in Vermont. The Greyhound bus terminal was 25 miles away. I decided to just walk it, with my belongings in a bag on my shoulder. I think I started in late afternoon, left town, and reached the ridge of the "Green Mountains" sometime after dark, and then reached downtown Rutland at 2 AM. I went to Denny's and got some hot chocolate, then walked around town until 5 AM or whatever early hour the bus left the station. I then pretty much slept from Rutland to Madison, Wisconsin. Then two days later I reached Seattle.

Oh, and along the way, I found a hammer by the side of the road and put it in my backpack, because hey, free hammer. A week later I didn't know why my bag set off the metal detectors in the airport, and then I remembered about the hammer. Luckily, this was pre 9-11, so they were just like "whatever". Anyway, that is my long walk story. I have probably been outdone by someone, but I feel that a walk like this carrying my bags and then taking a cross-country Greyhound trip is kind of more hardcore than just going hiking on a trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

About 30km/19 miles, what I do know is it was 28km from Lake Magog to the south end of Spray Lakes but we spent a while wandering around the looping trails at Assiniboine Lodge trying to find the proper traihead because it had just snowed plus they had huge areas fenced off for renovating the lodge. I figure we put in an extra couple kilometers there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I once walked with my friend from her place to Auburn, a nearby city. Well actually we hitchhiked for probably half of it. So it was probably only like 10 miles, but most of that was up the river canyon of the North Fork of the American River.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Once we walked all the way from the city, though the woods, up and over the pass, back to our own private river valley. There we stayed, until we had to leave. It probably wasn't that far, but it was "far out"

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

20 miles, ish. On a backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail. No, wasn't doing the whole trail, just a section.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The furthest I've hiked is 10 miles, the furthest I've run is 26.2 miles.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fort Benning, Georgia, midnight to dawn. 18-ish miles. It sucked.

Yarville
Jun 14, 2013
Probably around 20 miles on the Sheletowee Trace. In one 24 hour timeframe I hiked to the northern terminus and back home.

Bone In the Morn
Feb 25, 2006
20 miles. Tanner Butte from I-84.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I start to feel like complaining after about 5 miles, so probably about 10-15 miles. I bet I could walk further if I had a purpose. Camping sucks though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I speed walked 36km in 5-6 hrs during a hike in Brazil when I was fitter. Wearing trainers and a full pack I got hella bad blisters and still missed the bus I had to catch. I just really wanted to get away from the stupid annoying loving hippy I was with.

If I tried that now I'd either fall over from exhaustion or my knee would explode in a shower of bone chips.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Probably 16-18 miles while on the John Muir Trail. I think the last day out from Whitney was around 16 miles but mostly downhill, wasn't too bad.

I'm not a "put in a ton of miles" kind of person unless the timing really demands it

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Hiking San Gorgonio via the Vivian Creek trail in Southern California. The shortest route is 18-ish miles roundtrip with ~5,800' of gain. A lot of people use it as training for Whitney.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Probably about 10-15km of mountain hiking, ending up at ~~~1900m above sea level, it is great and I try to do it every year :)

http://i.imgur.com/peWD2rm.jpg?2

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 5, 2016

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

22 miles with a full(~70 lbs) pack and about 3000 feet elevation change.

I weighed a lot less then.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

15-16 miles (with a lot of elevation) in the desolation wilderness with a 3-night pack

Without a pack, probably about the same but it took half the time

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I walked about 25 miles around hetch hetchy valley. I didn't have trouble with the walk but about an hour after finishing my thighs were so chafed I could barely walk. Don't wear khakis for long walks.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

Massasoit posted:

22 miles with a full(~70 lbs) pack and about 3000 feet elevation change.

I weighed a lot less then.

Nice, that is some special forces grade hiking here in Norway :p

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Somewhere north of 12 miles in Chiricahua national monument, full pack 40 pounds.

Just going for a walk, no pack, I took a wrong turn on country roads and ended up doing like 15.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think like 15ish in the woods with a light pack, and 30 clocked with a fitbit at work one day.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
no joke, i ran away from home once when I was like 14

made it from claymont delaware to marcus hook, pa. i'm not sure how far it was but i had broken blood vessels in the backs of my knees

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Claven666 posted:

no joke, i ran away from home once when I was like 14

made it from claymont delaware to marcus hook, pa. i'm not sure how far it was but i had broken blood vessels in the backs of my knees

2.6 miles?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cla...d39.8192794!3e0

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

He never said he was a Smart child.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If 2.6 miles is crippling then maybe you should walk more :yum:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
52km in 10 hours, in a heavy thunderstorm, exposed at 2400m with not even bushes. Then I was held by the KGB at the end of it because I was in a restricted military zone.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Rime posted:

52km in 10 hours, in a heavy thunderstorm, exposed at 2400m with not even bushes. Then I was held by the KGB at the end of it because I was in a restricted military zone.

Is that a joke? I'd like to hear a slightly expanded version of that story if you don't mind? Even if you're making it up I don't care.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

lol, no i went from 186 honeywell drive to teh train tracks behind darley road and from there went up the tracks past the oil refinery to the train yard on the outskirts of the northern part of marcus hook, plus loving aorund in town getting food and hiding from the choppers.

edit: lol it was only like 9 miles. what teh gently caress did i do to myself to cause such damage? loving memories of a child

ok, so the real longest distance I ever walked was like 15 miles all around the streets of clermont florida

Radical and BADical! fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 13, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I walked from here to here once while doing Angels Landing and some of the little side hikes in between before going back up the Eastern Rim Trail:

I think altogether it was about 22 miles and a lot of elevation gain. I wouldn't recommend it. Better to split it into two days.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Hiked 15 miles once, it was fun and rewarding and tiring.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Around 26-27 miles. Fast march in boots with a rucksack. I was leaving bloody bootprints behind me by the end. Thanks Army.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Relevant xpost

Guest2553 posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot with the wrong gear. I did the military route of the Vierdaagse Nijmegen with all the associated garbage military gear that goes along with it. Impermeable leather boots with waffle insoles? Check. A rucksack that can't be adjusted to sit straight and would always put most of its weight on one shoulder? Check. Heavy uniform that doesn't breathe and collects enough sweat to built a salt lick? Check. Part of a team of 11 people that has to stick together, each with their own different strides and pacing? Aw yeah, son. All to march a distance about equal to a marathon over cobblestone for four straight days, not including the 500+ miles of endurance training in the 10 weeks leading up to the march itself.

I was fortunate in that I'm built for endurance hikes because that poo poo broke a lot of people, now that I think about it. Multiple stress fractures in metatarsals, skin sloughing and/or toenails popping off when socks were removed, open sores forming on hot spots on feet/back/thighs etc. One dude chafed so bad he had to walk bow legged and the entire crotch of his combats was a blossom of blood, but god bless him he powered through every day and finished it. The worst I got was some foot fungus after a flip flop broke on the way to the living petri dish of a shower they had at the camp. Oh well.

I liked it so much I did it twice :sparkles:

I want to do it a third time :shepface:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i never really hike more than 10 miles tops at a time, the reason? im a huge lazy rear end

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

34 miles. Water source to water source. Arizona is cool.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Canna Happy posted:

34 miles. Water source to water source. Arizona is cool.

Ok cool. How do you prevent blisters? I haven't found a reliable way yet.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Here are my recommendations in no particular order:

1) good boots and socks. They don't have to be the best, but good enough for you to be comfortable in - my standards for 'good' are pretty low but it works for me.
2) proper conditioning, so get walkin'. One of the things I did was walk on hot asphalt. Couldn't tell you if it actually worked but enough of us did it to avoid looking individually crazy.
3) keep your feet dry - whether through powder, ventilation, or changing socks every 10 miles.
4) preventive foot care - tape them up or use moleskin on places where you usually get hot spots.
5) accept that you can't stop them all and look after blisters you do get. You don't want to get one of those crazy fuckin' blood infections that will make your veins all discolored all the way up your leg. If you're going to lance them, keep the site clean and bandage it afterwards. If you don't, slap a wet circle on it so it doesn't pop and cause wet feet or let disease enter your bloodstream.

Blisters turn into callouses pretty quickly if you're exercising proper care, so getting them isn't the end of the world. Performance will go up with training just like anything else, so don't try to shortcut it or push past your limits. Some people progress faster than others, sure, but if Sgt Bleeding Balls can do it then you can too :v:

e. don't let it get to the bleeding balls level of discomfort if you can help it tho

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 18, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
No poo poo, I've found if anything is rubbing on anything slap some fabric tape on it. That way it rubs on the tape instead of you.

Not sure if I'd want to be pulling strongly adhesive tape off my balls though.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm fine for blisters, they rarely form. My personal issue with long distances is just sore feet. After about 17km I don't want to stop for a break, because if I do, the numbness built up from walking on sore feet goes away. When the feeling comes back after a rest and you start to go again, it hurts so bad.

I think the only real remedy for that is just to walk really far as often as possible to build a tolerance.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I need new boots, I know this. My current pair is a full size too small.

That being said, even my sneakers, which are sized correctly, tend to cause a painful rubbing on my little toe.

I either need a wider shoe or find a way to counteract the underide I am experiencing. I'm guessing fabric tape, as it has worked before, is the ticket.

Long distance walking is the tits. :D

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
My buddy and I did 16m yesterday, he had a little day pack and I had a 48L pack loaded with about 24pounds heading in, maybe 19-20pounds on the way out. We hiked a trail from a small town down to the Chesapeake bay. We did like 2k in elevation change despite never being more the 130' above sea level.

I have started taking a full pack out on day hikes to try and see what caused the massive blisters and leg pain when I did a 4 night trip over the summer. Then I had the same pack but at 30-35lbs and wore trail runners and thin wicking socks. This time I had a lighter pack and wore sock liners, wool light weight hiking socks, and boots.

This is the second weekend in a row we have done 13-16 mile hikes and my feet and legs feel fine. I think my pack needs to be sub 30lbs and and I need more foot padding, even at the expense of heat. I also preload up on Ibuprofen/Aspirin mix and re dosed after 5 hours. We also took two 20ish min breaks where I sprawled out on logs. Just having my weight off my feet for that long was amazing in keeping my feel and joints happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

VendaGoat posted:

Ok cool. How do you prevent blisters? I haven't found a reliable way yet.

Walk hundreds of miles before doing big days. (proper fitting trail runners with good socks and ultra light gear)

• Locked thread