Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

black children posted:

When I was a Hotshot, we would usually average 20-40 miles a day, over about 16 hours a day. that's with line gear so flame-resistant clothing, 35-55 pound pack, tool and whatever other gear, sometimes 5 gallon jerry cans and water bags. Terrain was generally extremely varied, here's a pretty good example from Idaho:

I also ran/scrambled down and up the South Rim of the Grand Canyon which i think was like 18 or 19 miles total with some pretty good elevation gain.

Yup that looks like Idaho. Fire and steep bullshit canyons.

My two longest hikes were last year. 17+ miles for both Angel's Perch and a solo trip up Castle loving Peak. 5400 feet of elevation on Angel's Perch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I visited all the historic missions in San Antonio in a day. I had started at the Alamo, then walked down to the first mission, then figured I could probably make it to the next one, and by that time I figured even though it was about 4 o'clock in the afternoon, why visit the place if I'm not going to do them all? I didn't make it back to my hotel until 10 p.m. About 22 miles or so all together (plus maybe another mile wandering around in the morning).

With a pack, I did a couple days of 15 miles or so when I went from Tahoe to Yosemite, but I always consider distance to be of minimal importance. Hiking Halfdome in a day is as tough as 20 miles or more on level ground.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you only count walking as a civilian, I once got so bored at a friend's place in the sticks during Midsummer night I drunkenly walked back to town, which was a bit over 15 km away I think? It was very pretty and warm and quiet but there were a lot of rape fields along the way and they smelled like rancid margarine.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Not the farthest, but I just hiked seven miles in an hour and a half the other day. Of course, that was jogging all the downhill sections.

I think the farthest was 22 miles for me... I accidentally took the wrong path and looped back to the car, so I was like gently caress it, I'm going home

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just back from Oxfam Trailwalker Melbourne, did 100km in 22:30 hrs in a team of 4.
7 checkpoints to rest and doctor the feet. Last 30kms were quite painful in the feet.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 9, 2016

Loora
Jan 22, 2004

I love Greg almost as much as I love Wiggles. Almost.
First hike achieved!
I went on a 17km hike yesterday in Bunyip State Park, Victoria Australia.
I am a skinny fat (read: fat) who works a desk job so I was not surprised when my heart was trying to bounce out of my chest on the super steep bits.

Saw some good birds, some good tors and a baby deer.

Lessons learnt:
Don't be a fat
Buy better shoes

srsly don't be a fat, it is terrible and hurts

7/10 would do again

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Don't think I've ever done over 30 miles. Problem with walking is that it is slooooooow.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jeza posted:

Don't think I've ever done over 30 miles. Problem with walking is that it is slooooooow.

Yeah walking* is no fun compared to bicycling.

*) Unless you're strolling. Strolling has its advantages. Or hiking, of course.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Cycling is too fast, you might as well just drive. The point of hiking is to amble along and constantly stop to check out cool poo poo and explore every side or game trail you find.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

18.6 miles with 4,400 ft of elevation gain to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back, which is amusing because I don't think I've ever walked nearly as far on flat ground.

e: Yeah, biking is where it's at. You're telling me I can put in about as much energy but go like 5 times the distance? Sign me the gently caress up where the terrain allows.

e2: As far as blisters, socks make all the difference. My buddy in plain cotton socks and trail runners was practically crying by the time we got back. I was wearing some cut down pantyhose and smart wool socks under boots and still had a spring in my step at the top.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 19, 2016

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Clouds Rest in Yosemite from the Happy Isles trailhead. 20 miles with a 6k foot elevation gain. Not bringing hiking poles was one of the greatest mistakes of my life.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Back in boy scouts I did 20 miles for a merit badge, and separately ended up doing a very similar amount as one leg of a 50 mile backpacking trip for a different merit badge (at least, I think they weren't the same merit badge.)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I did about 30km hiking in Sweden on Saturday.

It would have been less, but I was overoptimistic and started the hike waaaay too late in the day on Friday, and had about 5 hours of hiking before it got too dark and had to make camp. My train home was leaving at 2 from a town an hour's bus ride away so I got up at 4:30 in the morning to get back. No, I didn't make it in time. Had to take an overnighter with 4 transfers.

I haven't done really any training this spring apart from cross country skiing in February, so my legs were pretty hosed up. Also I forgot I signed up for 5k run for this morning. Legs stopped hurting after the first 5 minutes, but now I can't climb stairs.

Edit: actually I can climb stairs fine, it's going down that's the problem.

Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

50km in the context of a trail race in which I came in dead last.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That's a very far distance and you finished so kudos to that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Yeah, bit of context helps there, I'd just skip the dead last bit in retellings.

"Came last in a race"
"Uh right, ok loser"
"A 50 kilometer race"
"gently caress, poo poo, that's awesome."

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005
Probably a few miles, 5 tops. I think someone would have to be pretty misled about the pleasures and benefits of walking to do more than that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Deep Thought posted:

Probably a few miles, 5 tops. I think someone would have to be pretty misled about the pleasures and benefits of walking to do more than that.

I think you're in the wrong subforum.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Picnic Princess posted:

I think you're in the wrong subforum.

I can't even understand only ever having managed to walk 5 miles at most in one day during an entire lifetime. Has this person never traveled abroad or left an urban environment? How can a person who thinks the most they've ever walked is a few miles know anything about the pleasures and benefits of walking??

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Walking? What a drag. Hiking, now that's the stuff.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Walking is for poors

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
In addition to hiking I enjoy trekking out to my shed to pull out my mountain bike.

Since I bought that thing the amount of hiking I do has dropped considerably.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I drove up to Donner Pass a few weeks ago and hiked 15 miles from the trailhead through a section of trail where there was no water and it was pretty warm and exposed. That kinda sucked. Not the furthest I've hiked in one day though.

I have some 15-16 mile days with off trail sections planned on my next trip coming up in a week...will have to see if I can keep up that pace while traveling cross country, might be a bit ambitious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Levitate posted:

I drove up to Donner Pass a few weeks ago and hiked 15 miles from the trailhead through a section of trail where there was no water and it was pretty warm and exposed. That kinda sucked. Not the furthest I've hiked in one day though.

I have some 15-16 mile days with off trail sections planned on my next trip coming up in a week...will have to see if I can keep up that pace while traveling cross country, might be a bit ambitious.

Ah yes the Valley of Döners.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Deep Thought posted:

This just makes me sad

Canna Happy posted:

Walking is for poors

Funny you should say that, considering most low income neighborhoods have abysmal access to safe walking paths.

Can we count biking? Most I've done in a day is a hair over 80 miles. In fact, I just recently passed the two thousand mile mark for this year :smuggo:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Is there a trail that goes through the Donner party area? Is there anything left from that?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Outrail posted:

Is there a trail that goes through the Donner party area? Is there anything left from that?

He's so old I don't think there's much going on in his party area as you call it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

How did I not realise there was a forum for hiking?

Before I'd started running, the furthest my legs had carried me was 12 miles. It was the middle of winter and the nearest shops were 6 miles away and I needed tobacco. The things you'll do to get your fix I guess.

I don't think I've walked as far since but since I started running (and kicked that smoking habit), I've done up to 30 miles in one go. That was all kinds of fun.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Outrail posted:

it's a state park.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I walked five miles from my apartment to Disneyland at a rather brisk pace after not exercising at all for 2+ years because I am a tremendous idiot. I finally got there and literally felt my calves buckle - y'know that cramp you get sometimes in the morning? I was wide awake, standing, trying to walk, and suddenly they seized up and I collapsed. The nurse at the park agreed that I was a moron.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I love how the first picture is a bunch of people having fun at the beach, zipping around in a boat, and cooking out. Whoever is marketing that park clearly forgot to read to plaque.

peramene posted:

I walked five miles from my apartment to Disneyland at a rather brisk pace after not exercising at all for 2+ years because I am a tremendous idiot. I finally got there and literally felt my calves buckle - y'know that cramp you get sometimes in the morning? I was wide awake, standing, trying to walk, and suddenly they seized up and I collapsed. The nurse at the park agreed that I was a moron.

You're not a moron, you've just taken your first steps into a larger world. Just keep at it and in a week or two you'll be knocking those miles out no like nobody's business!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Guest2553 posted:

Relevant xpost

Guest2553 posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot with the wrong gear. I did the military route of the Vierdaagse Nijmegen with all the associated garbage military gear that goes along with it. Impermeable leather boots with waffle insoles? Check. A rucksack that can't be adjusted to sit straight and would always put most of its weight on one shoulder? Check. Heavy uniform that doesn't breathe and collects enough sweat to built a salt lick? Check. Part of a team of 11 people that has to stick together, each with their own different strides and pacing? Aw yeah, son. All to march a distance about equal to a marathon over cobblestone for four straight days, not including the 500+ miles of endurance training in the 10 weeks leading up to the march itself.

I was fortunate in that I'm built for endurance hikes because that poo poo broke a lot of people, now that I think about it. Multiple stress fractures in metatarsals, skin sloughing and/or toenails popping off when socks were removed, open sores forming on hot spots on feet/back/thighs etc. One dude chafed so bad he had to walk bow legged and the entire crotch of his combats was a blossom of blood, but god bless him he powered through every day and finished it. The worst I got was some foot fungus after a flip flop broke on the way to the living petri dish of a shower they had at the camp. Oh well.

I liked it so much I did it twice :sparkles:

I want to do it a third time :shepface:

Hey, a Nijmegen buddy :hfive:

That poo poo is to date the weirdest combination of incredible fun and intense pain I've ever experienced. Particularly awesome was having to do the parade on the last day, just adrenaline keeping you straight for the last walk. I had an unbelievable amount to drink that night.

Check on most of your issues there, we did spend some serious time learning to tape and care for our feet so those weren't too bad, I also used a slip sock inside a woolen compression sock to minimize friction. Worked out okay.

I wasn't dumb enough to do it twice though. Christ, man.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
I don't know how FAR I walked but one summer in the Alps I walked for about 12 hours in one day, across valleys and onto several summits. It was awesome.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

26.3 miles, marathon distance, lots of elevation gain - the LONG WAY up and down to San Gorgonio peak via Momyer trail. My feet hurt. It was training for Mt Whitney tho. Many hours. Not as many hours as Cactus to Clouds though, which was pre-dawn dark to post sunset returning to car darkness.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
~20 miles on the Appalachian Trail while backpacking. One day ended up being extra long because we were late the previous day arriving, so 2 extra hours got added to the following days.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Next week I'm about to backpack what I initially thought was going to be a 13 mile day but due to the whole "camp here, but pay here, 1 mile away" thing and also a lake being in the way it actually looks like it's going to be more like a 15-16 mile day, possibly more. That'll probably be my high score with a loaded pack. It may not be the most fun day. But it should be pretty.

Then I'll get to celebrate by piling another 32 miles on top of it. This will be southern Indiana, so it's not like I'm climbing a mountain or anything, but it is hilly as all hell. Planning on finally losing that pesky toenail that's been threatening to fall off while training for this.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I went on a pilgrimage from Vienna to Mariazell for several years and the longest day's walk we did was about 38km (~23,6 miles) through the woods and fields of Lower Austria, that was always fun

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

nominal posted:

Next week I'm about to backpack what I initially thought was going to be a 13 mile day but due to the whole "camp here, but pay here, 1 mile away" thing and also a lake being in the way it actually looks like it's going to be more like a 15-16 mile day, possibly more. That'll probably be my high score with a loaded pack. It may not be the most fun day. But it should be pretty.

Campsites with anything but a 'here is a slot, put money in the slot' is bullshit.

A friend and I hiked across a provincial border from one park to another bypassing the main entrance. Apparently we're supposed to book ahead, we have no cell coverage and the entrance is a good five or so kilometers away in another direction and we have another ten or so to hike. We bumped into a ranger guy and explained the situation and he just shrugged 'well you can call up when you get home and pay buuuttt... eh, enjoy your hike'. Luckily it was late September and raining and crap so there were empty sites.

That was two 25km/15mi days which wasn;t too bad, but we had hail and rain for half of it and my mates shoes were so bad he ended up wrapping his feet in tape and wore flipflops for 15km in the mud.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

nominal posted:

Next week I'm about to backpack what I initially thought was going to be a 13 mile day but due to the whole "camp here, but pay here, 1 mile away" thing and also a lake being in the way it actually looks like it's going to be more like a 15-16 mile day, possibly more."
I have returned from the aforementioned trip! Ended up being in the upper 40-miles all told, due to some (planned) backtracking and generally having to screw around with strangely-arranged campgrounds and water sources.

Got to learn the hard way about symptoms of dehydration on the 16 mile day (probably from not watering up properly after a bout the flu the week before). So that wasn't fun. I messaged a nurse friend of mine who said the wheezing, cramps, disorientation, sweating, and feeling hot as hell read like a checklist for dehydration and sure enough, once I watered-up pretty hard over the next day or so I started feeling much better and was zipping right up those hills like somebody that ISN'T a 42 year old fat guy that plays way too many videogames.

Really fun trip and I'm looking forward to more solo hikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Longest I walked in the military was probably around 15 miles with a full ruck. Outside of the military and with a full ruck, probably about the same. With the dog in tow, about 10 miles.

I worked at a warehouse for about six months of the past year where it was walking anywhere from 12-18 miles a day. Walk to a bin, pick a thing, walk again. Four 10 hour days a week. With dog walks, I was doing 80-100 miles a week. That job sucked for reasons that are much more annoying than lots of paid cardio.

• Locked thread