Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Next week I'm about to backpack what I initially thought was going to be a 13 mile day but due to the whole "camp here, but pay here, 1 mile away" thing and also a lake being in the way it actually looks like it's going to be more like a 15-16 mile day, possibly more. That'll probably be my high score with a loaded pack. It may not be the most fun day. But it should be pretty.

Then I'll get to celebrate by piling another 32 miles on top of it. This will be southern Indiana, so it's not like I'm climbing a mountain or anything, but it is hilly as all hell. Planning on finally losing that pesky toenail that's been threatening to fall off while training for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

nominal posted:

Next week I'm about to backpack what I initially thought was going to be a 13 mile day but due to the whole "camp here, but pay here, 1 mile away" thing and also a lake being in the way it actually looks like it's going to be more like a 15-16 mile day, possibly more."
I have returned from the aforementioned trip! Ended up being in the upper 40-miles all told, due to some (planned) backtracking and generally having to screw around with strangely-arranged campgrounds and water sources.

Got to learn the hard way about symptoms of dehydration on the 16 mile day (probably from not watering up properly after a bout the flu the week before). So that wasn't fun. I messaged a nurse friend of mine who said the wheezing, cramps, disorientation, sweating, and feeling hot as hell read like a checklist for dehydration and sure enough, once I watered-up pretty hard over the next day or so I started feeling much better and was zipping right up those hills like somebody that ISN'T a 42 year old fat guy that plays way too many videogames.

Really fun trip and I'm looking forward to more solo hikes.

• Locked thread