Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I speed walked 36km in 5-6 hrs during a hike in Brazil when I was fitter. Wearing trainers and a full pack I got hella bad blisters and still missed the bus I had to catch. I just really wanted to get away from the stupid annoying loving hippy I was with.

If I tried that now I'd either fall over from exhaustion or my knee would explode in a shower of bone chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Rime posted:

52km in 10 hours, in a heavy thunderstorm, exposed at 2400m with not even bushes. Then I was held by the KGB at the end of it because I was in a restricted military zone.

Is that a joke? I'd like to hear a slightly expanded version of that story if you don't mind? Even if you're making it up I don't care.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
No poo poo, I've found if anything is rubbing on anything slap some fabric tape on it. That way it rubs on the tape instead of you.

Not sure if I'd want to be pulling strongly adhesive tape off my balls though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Quitter.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, bit of context helps there, I'd just skip the dead last bit in retellings.

"Came last in a race"
"Uh right, ok loser"
"A 50 kilometer race"
"gently caress, poo poo, that's awesome."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
In addition to hiking I enjoy trekking out to my shed to pull out my mountain bike.

Since I bought that thing the amount of hiking I do has dropped considerably.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Is there a trail that goes through the Donner party area? Is there anything left from that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

nominal posted:

Next week I'm about to backpack what I initially thought was going to be a 13 mile day but due to the whole "camp here, but pay here, 1 mile away" thing and also a lake being in the way it actually looks like it's going to be more like a 15-16 mile day, possibly more. That'll probably be my high score with a loaded pack. It may not be the most fun day. But it should be pretty.

Campsites with anything but a 'here is a slot, put money in the slot' is bullshit.

A friend and I hiked across a provincial border from one park to another bypassing the main entrance. Apparently we're supposed to book ahead, we have no cell coverage and the entrance is a good five or so kilometers away in another direction and we have another ten or so to hike. We bumped into a ranger guy and explained the situation and he just shrugged 'well you can call up when you get home and pay buuuttt... eh, enjoy your hike'. Luckily it was late September and raining and crap so there were empty sites.

That was two 25km/15mi days which wasn;t too bad, but we had hail and rain for half of it and my mates shoes were so bad he ended up wrapping his feet in tape and wore flipflops for 15km in the mud.

• Locked thread