Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black children
Dec 14, 2009
When I was a Hotshot, we would usually average 20-40 miles a day, over about 16 hours a day. that's with line gear so flame-resistant clothing, 35-55 pound pack, tool and whatever other gear, sometimes 5 gallon jerry cans and water bags. Terrain was generally extremely varied, here's a pretty good example from Idaho:

I also ran/scrambled down and up the South Rim of the Grand Canyon which i think was like 18 or 19 miles total with some pretty good elevation gain.

~How to Avoid Blisters~
Just don't bother. Lance them if they're interfering with your walking, and clean them with antiseptic every day once they pop so you don't end up with blood poisoning and black foot. I knew one guy who swore by slicing them open and stuffing them with the extra-menthol Goldbond but I wouldn't recommend that. Smartwool socks are a good investment but they only do so much, your feet are gonna get shredded sooner or later anyway, and eventually they'll just be one gnarly lump of scarred leather that won't feel anything. I haven't gotten a blister in years. I have, however, lost 2 toenails and 1 fingernail, and suffered a bout of trench foot in Alaska.

black children fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread