Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Relevant xpost

Guest2553 posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot with the wrong gear. I did the military route of the Vierdaagse Nijmegen with all the associated garbage military gear that goes along with it. Impermeable leather boots with waffle insoles? Check. A rucksack that can't be adjusted to sit straight and would always put most of its weight on one shoulder? Check. Heavy uniform that doesn't breathe and collects enough sweat to built a salt lick? Check. Part of a team of 11 people that has to stick together, each with their own different strides and pacing? Aw yeah, son. All to march a distance about equal to a marathon over cobblestone for four straight days, not including the 500+ miles of endurance training in the 10 weeks leading up to the march itself.

I was fortunate in that I'm built for endurance hikes because that poo poo broke a lot of people, now that I think about it. Multiple stress fractures in metatarsals, skin sloughing and/or toenails popping off when socks were removed, open sores forming on hot spots on feet/back/thighs etc. One dude chafed so bad he had to walk bow legged and the entire crotch of his combats was a blossom of blood, but god bless him he powered through every day and finished it. The worst I got was some foot fungus after a flip flop broke on the way to the living petri dish of a shower they had at the camp. Oh well.

I liked it so much I did it twice :sparkles:

I want to do it a third time :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Here are my recommendations in no particular order:

1) good boots and socks. They don't have to be the best, but good enough for you to be comfortable in - my standards for 'good' are pretty low but it works for me.
2) proper conditioning, so get walkin'. One of the things I did was walk on hot asphalt. Couldn't tell you if it actually worked but enough of us did it to avoid looking individually crazy.
3) keep your feet dry - whether through powder, ventilation, or changing socks every 10 miles.
4) preventive foot care - tape them up or use moleskin on places where you usually get hot spots.
5) accept that you can't stop them all and look after blisters you do get. You don't want to get one of those crazy fuckin' blood infections that will make your veins all discolored all the way up your leg. If you're going to lance them, keep the site clean and bandage it afterwards. If you don't, slap a wet circle on it so it doesn't pop and cause wet feet or let disease enter your bloodstream.

Blisters turn into callouses pretty quickly if you're exercising proper care, so getting them isn't the end of the world. Performance will go up with training just like anything else, so don't try to shortcut it or push past your limits. Some people progress faster than others, sure, but if Sgt Bleeding Balls can do it then you can too :v:

e. don't let it get to the bleeding balls level of discomfort if you can help it tho

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 18, 2016

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

I wasn't dumb enough to do it twice though. Christ, man.

My wife is going to be 1 week postnatal next year or I'd go for #3 next July :smith:

• Locked thread