Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

I couldn't find the old fitness thread so I made a new one.

Here is where you post about all things fitness:
- Run 8 miles every day? post about it!
- Enjoy hard work and sweating with your bros in the gym? Cool, post up and be prepared to prove that you are the biggest human alive.
- Is your idea of fun punching people and being punched? Great, please don't hit me.
- Just sent that 6b+ problem at the crag with no beta? Cool, we can be best friends.

I know it feels good to tell people about how great you are at stuff, or how much better as a human being you are than others for being able to do an impressive but incredibly niche activity.

Things to post about :
- Brag or humblebrag about how good & strong your bod is, and tell us how you made it that way. maybe even post pics if you're brave enough.
- Let us know what you're planning for the new year.
- Are you training for something? I probably don't care very much but tell us anyway! someone might!
- What are your fitness goals? How are you going to achieve them?
- Just did something cool or impressive? Cool, tell or show us, please i need this
- Maybe try to post about how cool and buff you are when really you are just sad and insecure about your baby arms but you just want attention (for people who don't do anything cool or good)
-I don't know what you should post stop asking I'm not your mom

Have fun & stay hydrated

GoodbyeTurtles fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
Goodbye turtles, you are a hotty

GoodbyeTurtles

Gross Dude posted:

Goodbye turtles, you are a hotty

Thanks. I have a powerful climb bod

Matoi Ryuko

I would like to do some climbing. It gives you that functional strength which I strive for constantly, like gymnastics.

Do you climb often?

GoodbyeTurtles

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I would like to do some climbing. It gives you that functional strength which I strive for constantly, like gymnastics.

Do you climb often?

Every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Usually in about 3 hour sessions.

Climbing is a great all round excercise, working mostly on the core (if you do it right). Most people think it's mostly upper body (it can be if you do it wrong) but really you should be doing all of the hard work pushing yourself upwards with your legs and using the arms for stability rather than pulling you up. Obviously grip strength is important but that comes quite naturally as you get better.

I'd 100% recommend climbing to anyone, it's great fun and almost every climbing gym is full of really friendly cool people.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I have been wearing gardening gloves with fingertips cut off and punching things to strengthen my knuckles. it's been good. I will have iron hands. :)

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.

Climbing is a great all round excercise, working mostly on the core (if you do it right). Most people think it's mostly upper body (it can be if you do it wrong) but really you should be doing all of the hard work pushing yourself upwards with your legs and using the arms for stability rather than pulling you up.

I'd 100% recommend climbing to anyone, it's great fun and almost every climbing gym is full of really friendly cool people.

I imagine I've probably gotten the wrong impression about climbing from all those professional climbing competition videos where they're doing crazy jumps and hanging from double digits. I wish there was a cheaper way to do wall climbing, it's like 50 miles to the nearest facility with a climbing wall.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I have strong legs and comparatively weak upper body (I enjoy lifting lower body more). think a reverse no-leg-day gym bro. how much of a handicap would this be for climbing?

Matoi Ryuko

Chill la Chill posted:

I have been wearing gardening gloves with fingertips cut off and punching things to strengthen my knuckles. it's been good. I will have iron hands. :)

That's some straight up shaolin style training.

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
I ride my bike regularly to commute to and from places, and I have been lifting weights a couple or three times a week for the past couple years, but my diet is pretty bad and I drink too much so I'm still pretty fat.

I went to a powerlifting meet a few weeks ago and saw a man deadlift something around 850 pounds, which isn't world record-breaking or anything, but it was the first time I'd seen such a feat of strength in person. It was somewhat inspiring. I also got to play with strongman gym stuff for the first time, like concrete atlas stones and keg walks and that big log lift bar thing. There is a gym that has this equipment really close to where I am living, but I can't yet justify another gym membership on top of the university tuition that already pays for a gym that is pretty good, too. I'm in an annoying cusp between being a normal weak can't-lift-anything person and actually being physically strong (basic 1000 pound club) and I've been stuck here for a while. Same with endurance... I was able to push some 30+ mile afternoons last summer, but I'm not particularly fast about it... 11-12 miles an hour average.

This next year, I'm going to keep lifting, push myself a bit harder, keep bicycling, and try to stop drinking so much. I've been mostly vegetarian for a while, but I am reintroducing meat to my diet... baking chickens is easy and cheap for a food source and I do actually like eating meat. I also need to do some work on my bike. It needs, at least, some TLC and maybe some new parts. I know I need to replace the lovely plastic backing board with some stiffer stuff (pic related) to my other cheapass pannier, too, so that I can do some bikepacking when the weather gets a bit nicer. I'm also going to start looking around in the next year for a second, backup, bike.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 28, 2015

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

GoodbyeTurtles

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I imagine I've probably gotten the wrong impression about climbing from all those professional climbing competition videos where they're doing crazy jumps and hanging from double digits. I wish there was a cheaper way to do wall climbing, it's like 50 miles to the nearest facility with a climbing wall.

Oh no, by all means there are plenty of times you'll have to commit to a literal one point of contact leap from one hold to the next (called a dynamic move or dyno) and that requires a lot of skill, balls and brute force. They are the best goddamn thing when they go right.

Get some cheap climbing shoes and find a boulder (maybe a crash pad too) to play on if there's nothing indoors nearby

Looke

I am doing a weeks hiking next month, and am looking forward to it

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Oh no, by all means there are plenty of times you'll have to commit to a literal one point of contact leap from one hold to the next (called a dynamic move or dyno) and that requires a lot of skill, balls and brute force. They are the best goddamn thing when they go right.

Get some cheap climbing shoes and find a boulder (maybe a crash pad too) to play on if there's nothing indoors nearby

Hm. Living on the great plains sucks. I think that's why I spend all of my time running, there's nothing to climb on! There used to be a big hill in my town but they tore it down this year because it kept landsliding onto the train tracks right below it. Now it's just a 5 story grassy knoll.

the unabonger
Getting buff by swimming is a good thing to do, i highly recommend it

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I will be Jojo

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

There's a hella lot of snow right now and my brakes are screwed, but I really like going hiking and hope to start backpacking next summer. Costco has hella nice clothes for it, they've got good hiking socks and we just got thermal shirts this month, and I'm keeping an eye on REI sales to see if any small tents or anything come up for cheap.

Once my car's fixed I'll be able to go to better trailheads, there's not much accessible by bus unless I want to walk a LOT.

GoodbyeTurtles

meteloides posted:

There's a hella lot of snow right now and my brakes are screwed, but I really like going hiking and hope to start backpacking next summer. Costco has hella nice clothes for it, they've got good hiking socks and we just got thermal shirts this month, and I'm keeping an eye on REI sales to see if any small tents or anything come up for cheap.

Once my car's fixed I'll be able to go to better trailheads, there's not much accessible by bus unless I want to walk a LOT.

I love to hike but not having a car would be a huge limiting factor (unless I felt like adding an extra 20+ miles to any of my walks, and I really don't).

Winter hiking can be good fun too, it's just all about layers (wear longjohns, they are the best), keeping comfortable and preparing for the weather to go bad (have a planned route with set bearings and an escape route). I wish we got more snow here though.

hemale in pain

on a diet (well not the last few days) but lifting sucks now. im soo weak in the gym but i look so much better.

got a 2 week holiday coming up which is gonna be spent entirely in pools and wandering around topless so i gotta look good

GoodbyeTurtles

hemale in pain posted:

on a diet (well not the last few days) but lifting sucks now. im soo weak in the gym but i look so much better.

got a 2 week holiday coming up which is gonna be spent entirely in pools and wandering around topless so i gotta look good

My diet sucks on account of receiving 36 chocolate oranges on my birthday so I just work out more. Need to get that holiday bod

hemale in pain

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

My diet sucks on account of receiving 36 chocolate oranges on my birthday so I just work out more. Need to get that holiday bod

my plan is to eat all the chocolate in like 2 days then i'll only be ruining my diet for 2 days

solid plan

Matoi Ryuko

The weather conditions sucked so much today that I developed a new technique on the fly to prevent myself from being knocked off my feet by the wind...

GoodbyeTurtles

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The weather conditions sucked so much today that I developed a new technique on the fly to prevent myself from being knocked off my feet by the wind...

please share, i was blown off a cliff into the ocean today and it would have saved a life

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

please share, i was blown off a cliff into the ocean today and it would have saved a life

It was like I was pressing the trunk of my body down onto my hips. They use the term "stacking your weight" in the ufc and that's sort of similar.

Piso Mojado

all yobbers are welcome to ride bikes with me. it's good exercise and fun.

GoodbyeTurtles

I need to get a cheap road bike for my travels but I have no idea what to look for

GoodbyeTurtles

Chill la Chill posted:

I have strong legs and comparatively weak upper body (I enjoy lifting lower body more). think a reverse no-leg-day gym bro. how much of a handicap would this be for climbing?

Climbing is mostly legwork if you do it right, you keep your arms as straight as possible and just hang from them, grip strength is useful though.

Corbae posted:

I am doing a weeks hiking next month, and am looking forward to it

Where ??

hemale in pain

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I need to get a cheap road bike for my travels but I have no idea what to look for

how much is cheap?

i've got a FELT95 i paid £385 for and it's a solid bike

it's not sold anymore but I think this is the latest version http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f85-2015/

Peanut and the Gang

by exmarx
Rock climbing owns! I've been going twice a week for the past month-ish, and getting better each time. Spend 1-1.5 hours there usually, but use a little of that time talking to a friend because I only see her when rock climbing. What are the 6b's? Here we only have V# for bouldering and 5.# for climbing walls. The person said 5.# meant you were climbing rocks, but I didn't ask about other numbers.

Tried out kickboxing yesterday. We did shin checks, so now my legs are bruised as hell. Feels good though, knowing my legs will soon be strong as heck.

Don't think I can actually do kickboxing until end of March though. Because I'm signing up for dance classes that are going to wipe my afternoons. Picked out 15 hours/week of classes I want to do. Goes from Jan-March. Gonna head in to check out the place and narrow the classes down so I don't die from exhaustion.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

if you're looking for an entry level road bike then I recommend Giant's Defy series. They are pretty cheap and well built. the problem is that road bikes are pretty restricted to riding on good quality roads. If you want something that can handle a wider range of conditions I would get a Surly Crosscheck or Long Haul Trucker. They are about $1k each. if you want something cheaper then look at Kona, another good company. You can get a deece hybrid from them for about $500.

most importantly - get a bike that fits you. a good fitting $300 bike will out perform a bad fitting $3000 bike.

Piso Mojado fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 29, 2015

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?
this is a true story i got a bench press and a barbell for christmas and used it for the first time last night and pulled a muscle in my lower back on my 5th deadlift rep i feel pretty silly

Matoi Ryuko

Adiabatic posted:

this is a true story i got a bench press and a barbell for christmas and used it for the first time last night and pulled a muscle in my lower back on my 5th deadlift rep i feel pretty silly

Good drive, none the less. :cheers:

GoodbyeTurtles

Peanut and the Gang posted:

Rock climbing owns! I've been going twice a week for the past month-ish, and getting better each time. Spend 1-1.5 hours there usually, but use a little of that time talking to a friend because I only see her when rock climbing. What are the 6b's? Here we only have V# for bouldering and 5.# for climbing walls. The person said 5.# meant you were climbing rocks, but I didn't ask about other numbers.

I'm working on making the jump from top-rope to leading & I usually aim for about 2-3 hour sessions. The UK, Euro and US grading systems are all different but here's a handy, easy to remember guide:

It's not at all straightforward but with Indoor climbing I'm pretty sure we just use the sport grade. 6b is the best I've ever managed to do (top roping) without falling.

hemale in pain posted:

How many money is cheap?

Cheap (for a bike) being around the £350 or lower mark? Idk what I'm looking for.

Piso Mojado posted:

Conditions?

I'm going to be using it to travel from the outskirts into major city centers in Europe, most of which have a pretty decent cycling infrastructure, so I imagine I won't be needing a vastly complicated suspension setup or knobbly tyres.

My current bike is a Barracuda Zombie mountain bike.. thing. It's okay but no good for road use even with slick tyres on it. Looks like this:

Looke

Mendips this coming week and then Brecon Breacons next month with Dartmoor soon after that

I.N.R.I

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

hi,
the brand doesnt matter since most frames come from like 2 different factories in taiwan, but pay attention to the groupset, which is the chainring and gear levers and stuff like that. u cant go wrong with shimano or campagnolo components. for 400-500 u can get a nice bike with shimano tiagra stuff or something like that on it. and buy a new bike cos old ones are just not as good. technology is improving fast

GoodbyeTurtles

Corbae posted:

Mendips this coming week and then Brecon Breacons next month with Dartmoor soon after that

Hit me up when you're gonna do Dartmoor; I know it rather well having hiked well over 500 miles up there over the years.

I.N.R.I posted:

hi,
the brand doesnt matter since most frames come from like 2 different factories in taiwan, but pay attention to the groupset, which is the chainring and gear levers and stuff like that. u cant go wrong with shimano or campagnolo components. for 400-500 u can get a nice bike with shimano tiagra stuff or something like that on it. and buy a new bike cos old ones are just not as good. technology is improving fast

I've been told similar things by a few people (get good components, frame is much less important), so I'm looking to pick up a cheaper (but still new-ish) frame and fit some nice shiny shimano tiagra parts to it.

Looke

awesome will do, last time I was around there was for ten tors when I was 16

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Matoi Ryuko posted:

oh huh I talked to a friend about this and he said that's actually what they do. they would put paper in front of a wall and punch it for hours. p good IMO. I don't want baby hands like mayweather

GoodbyeTurtles

Corbae posted:

awesome will do, last time I was around there was for ten tors when I was 16

Hahaa yeah, I did a 35 and two 45s, now I'm helping out my old school's teams with their training. It's been a very damp start to the training season this year!

hemale in pain

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I've been told similar things by a few people (get good components, frame is much less important), so I'm looking to pick up a cheaper (but still new-ish) frame and fit some nice shiny shimano tiagra parts to it.

it's probably gonna be more or less the same price. might aswell save some effort and just buy a new bike!

do you got a decathalon nearby? their bikes are actually good and well priced, and you can go in and bike around the store to see if their comfortable.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-road-bike-sora-black-red-id_8322663.html

it comes with SORA but their fine.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko

My feet swole up right after yesterday's run, like I had bruised them on the bottom really badly. Today's run won't be a problem though...it's kind of weird like that.

• Locked thread