Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looke

girlfriend has started me on healthy eating and asked me to get spinach on my way home, what she doesn't know is the McDonald's I'm quickly consuming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Corbae posted:

girlfriend has started me on healthy eating and asked me to get spinach on my way home, what she doesn't know is the McDonald's I'm quickly consuming

I stopped eating McDonald's when they stopped putting chicken heads & feathers in the nuggets. Man can't get some drat battered chicken heads and feathers around here??

Looke

amen

hemale in pain

Piso Mojado posted:

Yoga is really good. Maybe try starting with sun salutations.

is yoga secretly the training people to get into position to take it up the arse exercise?

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

If you mean half marathon I have tips.

Make sure you practice running at the same time if day as the race and on the day have a breakfast that you'd normally have before a run so you know it won't give you cramps.

In training, run 2 or 3 times a week & only run for set amounts of time, don't worry about distance. Increase from 40 min runs to 50 mins then add ten mins each week. Aim to for about 2 hours

Just remember that you get a big fat F on your report card if you end up having to poop while you're out on a run.

GoodbyeTurtles

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Just remember that you get a big fat F on your report card if you end up having to poop while you're out on a run.

This is solid advice, I lost out on my sub-2 hour half due to poor diet planning and needing to poop

Matoi Ryuko

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

This is solid advice, I lost out on my sub-2 hour half due to poor diet planning and needing to poop

It's solid/sometimes liquid advice.

Manifisto

Piso Mojado posted:

Yoga is really good. Maybe try starting with sun salutations.

Sun salutations?

:ohdear:

ty nesamdoom!

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
some days i ride my bike but some days i don't

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

thanks for the yoga tip piso in gonna start workin that into my day :)

also planning on finally getting back into running after an accidental four month break :( moving to a new place is stressful and can keep you from things you like! especially when the place you move to is a city with no nice places to run nearby but I'll finally figure it out. hopefully gonna get a new 5K pr this year :cool:

alnilam

hi

ty manifisto

Piso Mojado

hello. how's the winter biking going, friend?

alnilam

p well. My morning commutes this week were in 7-10 degrees F, and i felt totally fine other than at my temples where the air got in between my glasses and my balaclava. I even unzipped my outermost coat by the end. Lobster gloves rule.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

jeez that's so cold :( makes me shiver just thinkn about it but that's dope that you're a stronger more capable person than I am in such situations

alnilam

i'm also mega sore from starting lifting weights again since two weeks off during holidays... feels good but also feels sore.

16 hilly miles of bike commuting + sometimes lifting weights = a very tired alnilam every night, and that's how i likes it

ty manifisto

alnilam

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

jeez that's so cold :( makes me shiver just thinkn about it but that's dope that you're a stronger more capable person than I am in such situations

you'd be surprised actually how hot'n'steamy you get wqhile biking in the cold

i'll admit that biking comfortably at single digit temps took a while of figuring out the right oufit. but anything down to and including the 20s, you'd be really surprised how easy it is to bike in. you gotta cover up your hands and face. other than that, more often than not my torso is getting hot as hell by the time i get where I'm going (that's why I dress in layers), because of the exertion

i bet you could do it!! put on your best gloves and wrap your face in a scarf or even use a t-shirt to tie a makeshift ninja mask / balaclava, then wear a sweatshirt and a windproof jacket. bike somewhere. you will be unzipping your jacket by the time you arrive i almost guarantee it

ty manifisto

alnilam

how are you piso

how are you dope fiend killa g

ty manifisto

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

hi i'm okay alnilam, on one hand i went to the doctor today and found out apparently i have an irregular heart beat! :o (wasn't even going in for that) so i'm seeing a cardiologist next week. on the other hand i'm really excited to start running again soon though i know to keep it light until after i see the cardiologist just in case but i'm sure i can handle a light four miles. also on less fitness related note i'm looking forward to eating pizza and watching a poo poo ton of twin peaks tomorrow w/ my gf that's sure to be chill.

aside from your icy biking how're you alnilam?

alnilam

i'm sorry about your weird heart :( i hope it turns out okay

i'm good, icy biking has been fine, and also one thing i almost never do (but always want to) is more crunches / ab workout, esp because when i lift weights i work the rest of my core but the one thing missing is my abz... so i did a bunch of weighted crunches today and well there's no soreness quite like ab soreness :geno:

ty manifisto

hemale in pain

woah 16 miles commute must suck alnilam. my commute is only 4 miles one way.

alnilam posted:

i'm sorry about your weird heart :( i hope it turns out okay

i'm good, icy biking has been fine, and also one thing i almost never do (but always want to) is more crunches / ab workout, esp because when i lift weights i work the rest of my core but the one thing missing is my abz... so i did a bunch of weighted crunches today and well there's no soreness quite like ab soreness :geno:

i like cable crunches too!! they're fun, i was worried about looking really silly doing them and getting it horribly wrong but they're actually really easy and cool.

also sorry about your stupid heart dope

alnilam

hemale in pain posted:

woah 16 miles commute must suck alnilam. my commute is only 4 miles one way.

i like cable crunches too!! they're fun, i was worried about looking really silly doing them and getting it horribly wrong but they're actually really easy and cool.

My commute is 8 (hilly) miles each way, 16 total, to be clear

I'll try cable crunches!ty

hemale in pain

that's still like double the distance of mine and i live in the UK so the weather is always mild and we dont have any hills

hemale in pain

goodbye turtles i saw this review for a £300 road bike if you're still looking http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-calibre-rivelin-16-49999/

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?

Adiabatic posted:

backchat: still angry going to the doc today

backchat v3: not as angry and i have a shitload of muscle relaxers from the doc now so lol gently caress working out or doing anything really

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

you'd be surprised actually how hot'n'steamy you get wqhile biking in the cold

i'll admit that biking comfortably at single digit temps took a while of figuring out the right oufit. but anything down to and including the 20s, you'd be really surprised how easy it is to bike in. you gotta cover up your hands and face. other than that, more often than not my torso is getting hot as hell by the time i get where I'm going (that's why I dress in layers), because of the exertion

i bet you could do it!! put on your best gloves and wrap your face in a scarf or even use a t-shirt to tie a makeshift ninja mask / balaclava, then wear a sweatshirt and a windproof jacket. bike somewhere. you will be unzipping your jacket by the time you arrive i almost guarantee it

drat, im seriously impressed. it took me several years to get my winter kit down right but I still stop riding when it dips into the single digits. what's your kit look like? Id like to compare my gear with yours. :)

alnilam

Thanks :) so i generally don't ride in bikey clothes like spandex jerseys or anything. I only really have a few cycling-specific pieces of things, and they are all at my extremities (is the head an extremity?)
The general idea: much insulation on the hands and face and feet, little on the torso

So I will describe what I wear in single digits and how it changes when it gets a little warmer (like teens, 20s, 30s)

HANDS: Lobster gloves, sometimes w/ liners
I have Giro lobster gloves with Thinsulate(TM)
in general i recommend lobster gloves. Obviously they vary in warmth, but in general the format of the lobster glove is really good. Before I got lobster gloves, I had nicely padded regular gloves + liners, and I still used to get frostnippy fingers on a 3 mile ride to work when it was in the teens. With my lobster gloves, I wear them without liners down to 20 F, then add liners.
Also strictly speaking my gloves are more like live long and prosper gloves; some lobster-gloves have the index finger all by itself and the other 3 together. idk if it's better or worse but I imagine that would make your index finger colder.
Another important note about hands: it's easier to stay warm, than to get warm. Minimize gloveless time outside. Put your gloves on inside and let them get warm. Even the initial temp of your gloves makes a difference. For a whole winter and a half, when I slept at my ex's house my hands would be freezing when I got to work, but when we slept at my house (same temperature, same distance) I was fine. Eventually I figured out it's cause her basement is freezing and I kept my bike stuff down there, so I started keeping my glvoes upstairs and the problem went away.

HEAD/FACE: balaclava and hat!
i have a balaclava with Gore(R) WindStopper(TM) material
since the balaclava has a very minimally insulated hood for atop the head, i wear on top of it a winter biking hat from this lady in Chicago who sews nice winter cycling caps from recycled materials, i like her stuff a lot, her etsy shop is Kozie Prery but I bought mine in person at an open craft market thing
any winter cap that fits under your helmet will do, though. I move the balaclava from my face to my chin depending on how hot or cold i get (even in single digits, it usually ends up going down to my chin when I'm climbing a big hill).
sometimes my breath comes up out of it and makes frost on my eyelashes :3:
ALSO usually in single digits only, I wear glasses or sunglasses because otherwise my eyes get loving cold. It's a bit of a battle to keep them from fogging up, it usually involves exposing my nose from out of the balaclava to divert breath downward

THat's all for the cycling-specific stuff, the rest is:

Pants: when it's cold enough I wear my regular long underwear + jeans, otherwise just jeans :shrug:

Feeeeet: this can vary a lot by person/circulation, and by what kinda boot you got, anyway just get some thick wool sox and don't be afraid to double-sock it if that still isn't doing it for you. My boots don't have any insulation at all other than the leather itself, FWIW, but they block the elements and heavy socks do the rest. ALso boots that are too tight will make your toesies get cold.

Torso: First of all, for anyone new to cold cycling, you should feel a little underdressed when you first walk outside. Like I said, you will get hot by the end of your ride; you don't want to be cozy warm when it starts cause that means you will get WAY too hot. When you walk outside to get on your bike, you should say brr. Actually my ride begins with a big downhill plunge and it is the worst part of my winter commute because I get so cold, because I"m not exerting myself yet but I'm going fast, brrrr. But it's worth it after I start pedaling and get nice and comfy.

Anyway I basically just wear my regular winter clothes, but fewer of them. That being said, I'm a layering nut, so it works well for me; if you're a "one heavy coat" kinda person then you might need to get some layers.

In single digits, from inside to out, I'll wear something like this, but any layering scheme will work you just have to figure it out
  • lightweight wool baselayer
  • street sweater or long sleeved shirt
  • zip-up midweight wool sweater - 3 years ago I sprung for an icebreaker mid-layer and it's been a daily wear item (seriously) fall thru spring ever since, street and cycling both
  • a windproof, UN-insulated (or lightly insulated) jacket. I use a precip rain jacket, i used to have a bike-specific rain jacket (novara) and wore it for 7 years until no amount of goop would fix its waterproofness

That's my single digit outfit, that's it. It looks a lot like what i'd wear if i were walking around in 15F weather - like I said, you need to underdress your torso when you bike (I'm sure you know this Piso I'm writing this for everyone).

If it goes up to 15, I'll probably remove the wool baselayer, possibly replace it with a cotton t-shirt
if it goes to the 20s, I might do baselayer + long sleeve cotton shirt + mid layer + rain jacket
30s i might do just baselayer + midlayer + rain jacket
upper 30s maybe a t-shirt + midlayer + rain jacket

Haptical Sales Slut

Age 18 to 49
Hey there fitness goons, I have like 2 1/2 weeks to get in shape for snowboarding. I have pathetic calves, and poo poo stamina. Are there some at-home exercises I could do to train? I've found sets of jumping jacks are extremely taxing on my calves, so I guess I can start there. #skinnyfat

Matoi Ryuko

Nuts and Gum posted:

Hey there fitness goons, I have like 2 1/2 weeks to get in shape for snowboarding. I have pathetic calves, and poo poo stamina. Are there some at-home exercises I could do to train? I've found sets of jumping jacks are extremely taxing on my calves, so I guess I can start there. #skinnyfat

Dancing, lol.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Dancing, lol.

this is true. I used to dance competitively and your calves hurt a lot. but I was gifted with monster calves so I don't have tiny chicken leg problems :3: Maybe try Rumba, Cha Cha, or salsa

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

speaking of salsa I've made a giant batch of lightly marinated chicken and use it to make bulging quesadillas where it's like a chicken breast or more inside a tiny tortilla with some cheese then dip it into salsa. good, easy protein that doesn't get boring quickly IMO.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

hemale in pain

2 weeks ain't enough time to get fit for anything. probably best you can do is some cardio? i dunno anything about snowboarding though :shrug: but getting better at cardio is good for everything.

I.N.R.I

Nuts and Gum posted:

not much you can do at home in 2 and a half weeks im afraid. but you could ride a bike maybe 350 or more miles each week, or approx. 15 hours a week for 2 weeks without really risking injury ... youd be riding through cramp and a lot of fatigue though. if you actually decide to attempt something like that make sure you eat a lot of salt and protein

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 9, 2016

alnilam

Nuts and Gum posted:

In 2.5 weeks you're not gonna strengthen anything but you can at least get your bod warmed up and ready for the real deal so you don't get mega sore the day after snowboarding.

Why calves in particular are they a snowboarding muscle?

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

In 2.5 weeks you're not gonna strengthen anything but you can at least get your bod warmed up and ready for the real deal so you don't get mega sore the day after snowboarding.

this and work on your flexibility. just don't over do it. the worst thing you can do is injure yourself.

Haptical Sales Slut

Age 18 to 49
I figured it would be too late to do anything substantial. I wish I had a bike, so jogging it is!

alnilam posted:

Why calves in particular are they a snowboarding muscle?

I've always struggled with moments where I can't switch heel/toe, so 45 seconds of riding toeside makes my calves burst into flames. same with my thighs. I think stretching a lot is a good idea.

GoodbyeTurtles

I'm in Tenerife gonna go climb a motherfucking volcano :c00l:

Piso Mojado

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I'm in Tenerife gonna go climb a motherfucking volcano :c00l:

drat that sounds cool af, send a snap brotha - I've never seen a volcano.

GoodbyeTurtles

Barely got internet, sitting outside a wine bar stealing WiFi atm. Walked the Maska gorge today. Google that poo poo it's tite af

SIDS Vicious

I did a chinup Saturday night for the first time in my life, after about 2 months of regular gym use. I am feeling pretty proud of myself right now. I've also gone from being barely able to do a single pushup to being able to do twenty every day, feels good man.

wow that was an old sig lol
chec k out my drawings the sidsons :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko

Celluloid Sam posted:

I did a chinup Saturday night for the first time in my life, after about 2 months of regular gym use. I am feeling pretty proud of myself right now. I've also gone from being barely able to do a single pushup to being able to do twenty every day, feels good man.

That's great sid, keep at it man!

• Locked thread