Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Bobby Digital posted:

I heard Selecao legend Zika is coming out of retirement!

emptysnype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nice to see him go to a club where me may actually win trophies huahehauahahaeha

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Spangly A posted:

south america's an up and coming continent, keep your eyes on the Brazil olympics for all the emesis and serious infection records those fine athletes will set

the Zika virus has now been sexually transmitted, bad news for the Rio Olympics Sex Village

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

GMEEOORH posted:

Xi Jinping's been making a lot of noise about wanting China to be a big football nation. So lotsa rich fuckers have sensed it's probably a good ''investment'' to pump a lot of money into football-related stuff.

Yea China routinely makes grandiose statements of intent and then they follow through with their execution poorly and without planning. This is why Jackson Martinez will apparently now be the 5th most paid footballer in the world. It's a common thing to set a goal in China no matter how unrealistic and then try to achieve it hamfistedly and quickly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_Campaign
China is also incredibly obsessed with accruing soft power at the moment despite generally failing at it. It explains the football push and stuff like the Olympic concentration camps for kids.

It's just super bizarre that all these moves are happening now and not like five years ago. The Chinese economy is unraveling as all the cracks are beginning to show and people realize the numbers the govt has put out have been bunk forever. You would think rich people would invest money in something safe instead of football in a country where the gates must be like 10k a game and copyright law does not exist so TV money is probably next to nil. I expect the trend to end in a few years as their economy slows down drastically and Martinez and others also get screwed on payment.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

China's entire economy is based on copying others poorly so I doubt a single businessman has thought "is football profitable??" They just know other rich people buy teams so obviously they should also do that.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
boro have sold a kike
http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/2016/middlesbrough-kike-2936917.aspx

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I feel like one of these new Chinese signings deserves a Jozy-style prediction thread.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Well they just signed another one and you can't concentrate too many of them in one place.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

China's entire economy is based on copying others poorly so I doubt a single businessman has thought "is football profitable??" They just know other rich people buy teams so obviously they should also do that.

You just did a China to my post. But seriously yea China's behavior is bizarre and is at times horrifying, mystifying, and entertaining to watch. Tim Cahill sucked towards the end of his Redbull tenure and got benched and he now has 11 in 28 in China apparently. Imagine what kind of decent Shaktar-esque team they could've put together poaching young South Americans instead of spending 50 million on Jackson Martinez.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 3, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Has there been a situation yet where one of these insanely overpaid old men/wash-ups has been injured? Imagine if Martinez goes down early in his first season, then what?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TheBigAristotle posted:

Has there been a situation yet where one of these insanely overpaid old men/wash-ups has been injured? Imagine if Martinez goes down early in his first season, then what?

They turn around and run over him again so they don't have to pay the doctor's bills.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Why is it always LA and NY getting these over the hill European ex-internationals, I thought there was a limit of like 2 per team

Send them to Columbus Ohio and see how keen they are on the 'challenge' of the MLS then

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Monday Bandele posted:

Why is it always LA and NY getting these over the hill European ex-internationals, I thought there was a limit of like 2 per team

Send them to Columbus Ohio and see how keen they are on the 'challenge' of the MLS then

Perhaps this is controversial, but I'd rather live in Columbus, Kansas City, or even Salt Lake City before I moved to loving "The air is real poison" China

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Monday Bandele posted:

MLS will literally change the rules to allow big market teams to hire those marquee players.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

MoPZiG posted:

I feel like one of these new Chinese signings deserves a Jozy-style prediction thread.

race to le poumon noir

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Seltzer posted:

Yea China routinely makes grandiose statements of intent and then they follow through with their execution poorly and without planning. This is why Jackson Martinez will apparently now be the 5th most paid footballer in the world. It's a common thing to set a goal in China no matter how unrealistic and then try to achieve it hamfistedly and quickly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Pests_Campaign
China is also incredibly obsessed with accruing soft power at the moment despite generally failing at it. It explains the football push and stuff like the Olympic concentration camps for kids.

It's just super bizarre that all these moves are happening now and not like five years ago. The Chinese economy is unraveling as all the cracks are beginning to show and people realize the numbers the govt has put out have been bunk forever. You would think rich people would invest money in something safe instead of football in a country where the gates must be like 10k a game and copyright law does not exist so TV money is probably next to nil. I expect the trend to end in a few years as their economy slows down drastically and Martinez and others also get screwed on payment.

During your meltdown did you consider the outrageous idea that maybe some Chinese people are just like regular people who like football and aren't just mindless politburo drones trying to achieve maximum evil

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
why is this lovely thread for the worst transfer period ever still open

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

ephex posted:

why is this lovely thread for the worst transfer period ever still open

The best transfer will be this thread to the gas chamber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU