Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I might not be around for the live posting tonight but I will probably be watching it with a pal, so I will be with the thread in spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

The schedule start was pretty sudden... won't be around for the first 8 or so

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm glad we're not doing streams. Theres like no way I can sit through anything stop to finish anymore.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

.jpg posted:

The schedule start was pretty sudden... won't be around for the first 8 or so

I wish I could have put up the thread earlier but I had been busy over the holidays :(

It's definitely my bad. I wanted to make sure it started before the end of the year and the days just slipped on by...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Are we watching the Director's Cut versions of the applicable episodes for this simul?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
The year is 2015 A.D.

I actually had forgotten about the year setting. Perfect time to watch this.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:siren: We've got movie angel siiign :siren:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Man, it's been years since I last heard this theme song, and I still remember all of it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
poo poo, I'm going to a party instead of watching Evangelion. What am I doing with my life?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

goddamn the bds look great

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's a sturdy car.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

lets hang out posted:

goddamn the bds look great

I straight up had to pause and admire the bit where sachiel grabs the missile

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Poor Misato.

Poor Misato's car.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Misato sounds so much younger than i remember.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Misato is totally negging Shinji.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hello unit 01.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't say I expected to hear sass from Shinji.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

they couldn't even go one episode without using shadows to avoid actually animating anything

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
"Can we use her?"
"She isn't dead."

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Me when I see a giant robot:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fly me to the moon...

Jesus, it ends there?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

I keep marveling at how obvious the Gunbuster DNA is in the art style, character designs, everything.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

TEST TYPE

EVA UNIT 01

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

The first ep of evangelion is still loving genius and the standard I hold the first ep of every series to.

It sets up everything this show is about while leaving lots of things tantalizingly unexplained, introduces 90% of the important characters AND has time for some rad action scenes, without bogging things down with exposition or feeling rushed.

AND it ends on a cliffhanger so you make sure to tune in next week

eva isn't perfect but man if they didn't nail it at the start when it really needed to

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That shoulder slump when it comes off the launcher is probably right where I perked up and noticed I was getting into something more than "kid get a giant robot, fights monsters" show.

Although it's hard to say for sure after all these years.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

...or just take repeated blows to the face. That's kinda like dodging.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Hello, Dad!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

too bad he didn't get on so we could enjoy the 2nd most uncomfortable elevator ride ever

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

people that complain about shinji being a pussy tend to overlook all the hosed up damage he takes due to feeling everything that happens to unit-01

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Penē!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I forgot how long they wait to show you what the gently caress actually happened with the cliffhanger ending of ep 1

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Be kind to yr liver misato jeez

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"toothpicks"

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol boob joke

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
One of my favorite things about this episode is the horrified looks on everyone's faces as they see the EVA at the end of the battle.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

darealkooky posted:

I forgot how long they wait to show you what the gently caress actually happened with the cliffhanger ending of ep 1

But man, when it gets there it's :tviv: all the way. God drat.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Only two tonight right?

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

a kitten posted:

But man, when it gets there it's :tviv: all the way. God drat.

The fact that they spent so much time building up to it before abruptly returning to it helped give it an even stronger impact.

a kitten posted:

Only two tonight right?

Yup.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Command Ant posted:

One of my favorite things about this episode is the horrified looks on everyone's faces as they see the EVA at the end of the battle.

It's so good.

"We've won" :smug:

everyone else
:gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

When I was fourteen, I never questioned why Misato had a pet penguin. Now it seems so absurdly out of left field, but oh well Pen Pen is a cool dude.

Also holy poo poo, it has been over half of my life since the last time I watched this. I'm amazed I still remember all these details so vividly. :corsair:

Command Ant posted:

Yeah, except for Gendo who just grins smugly, like "See, just like I told you, no big deal."

• Locked thread