Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

This show introduced a lot of Australians to anime due to a combination of being shown nationwide on free to air, and being a really good show that generated plenty of word of mouth. SBS actually gave it a second time slot just so new viewers could watch it from the start.

Yeah I was one of those people. I remember being like 7 or 8 and catching the occasional episode and it just being this strange, ethereal viewing experience. No one I knew had seen it and I didn't really know how to explain what it was. I saw it in its almost entirety in 2002 when it aired on Saturday nights on Cartoon Network - who that year also started airing Cowboy Bebop.

Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop became some of my most formative TV/film experiences (they're still probably my two favourite TV shows).

NGE and Bebop had a tonal range in both their characters, and their atmospheres, that I had never seen before. Within the one episode they could dip into comedy, action, drama, horror, and romance. They could make you laugh, be scared, or could even project a feeling of loneliness. It made the characters seem more human, more complex. I read a lot at that age, but there'd never been a book to make me feel such a visceral range of emotions, and it continues to be the thing that makes me most interested in anime, and more recently manga (I don't know why I've put off manga for so long).

Maybe most importantly, it made me open to (and seek out) books, music and movies from other countries, and stuff that was a little strange. It wasn't solely because of Neon Genesis Evangelion, but if it wasn't for experiences like watching NGE when I did, I don't know if I'd ever gotten into Kobo Abe, Nikolay Gogol, or Herman Hesse. Which would have meant I never got into a whole other range of cool stuff. If 7 year old me hadn't nervously stayed up on Saturday night to watch NGE, would I still like Bong Joon-ho and Wong Kar-wai movies now? Or would I dismiss movies that made me feel weird, or that had subtitles?

This was my post about Neon Genesis Evangelion. Its p good show, there's even a penguin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread