Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

reignofevil posted:

I haven't read anything since book 2 ended but I vaguely recall a text update where he said he was going to maybe learn how his powers actually worked beyond lightning; dwagons; walnuts and rocking out.

So I'd say he has absolutely no idea what he can or can't do.

I was re-reading it. It doesn't grant dance battle, it does Rocking Out, which is far superior. I think he'll develop at a character with this arc though, so we might learn more about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, that happened.

Meanwhile, I figured out the actual implications of the reveal of Charlies gem hoard and treasury numbers after thinking about it. It means that first, this turnabout is going to result in Gobwin Knob having so much money that their previous status as "richest side on Erfworld" is going to be nothing in comparison. Second, it means that they are going to realize that Charlie has even more money than that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I appreciate that various characters played by Sean Bean have been standing around for several pages just to get shot.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lilith continuing to own, Jack's plan owns really well too.

Did they ever discuss the rules for turning if you're caught in friendly fire? I feel like maybe that came up back when Ossomar turned but I can't quite recall.

And I might have spelt his name wrong.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Looks like a bullet ricocheted off another portal- I guess that means that Charlie's done something to his portal specifically to let gunfire through and it won't work on other portals.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I count at least 6 hits on GK units, which means.... with each hit being half the treasury or 5mil... 166 509 871 -> 83254935 -> 41627467 -> 20813733 -> 10406866 -> 5203433 -> 203433 left over in Charlie's vault. (Jesus christ I hadn't quite grasped just how much cash Charlie had)
So that's over 166mil to GK.
If they can confirm one more hit they can start claiming units back.
Wow maybe Marie shouldn't've told the fodder to hit the deck.

That said that plan was hilariously effective for how simple it was.

E: Remember amount wrong.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 2, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kyte posted:

I count at least 6 hits on GK units, which means.... with each hit being half the treasury or 500k... 166 509 871 -> 83254935 -> 41627467 -> 20813733 -> 10406866 -> 5203433 -> 2601716 left over in Charlie's vault. (Jesus christ I hadn't quite grasped just how much cash Charlie had)
So that's over 163mil to GK.
If they can confirm 4 more hits they can start claiming units back.
Wow maybe Marie shouldn't've told the fodder to hit the deck.

That said that plan was hilariously effective for how simple it was.

5 mil or half the treasury, whichever is less.

I do wonder if healomancy even works on biological organisms. The blood spurting from from Parson certainly is novel for Erfworld.

Actually, does "bleeding out" even exist as a concept in this thing, or do units simply persist with 1 hp until something else happens.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh it's 5mil. So they just need one more confirmed hit to start claiming units. Rule of drama says they don't have that last hit, then.

And yes it works, his faction change healed up his first wound. That's the little bandage on his eyebrow.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Actually, does "bleeding out" even exist as a concept in this thing, or do units simply persist with 1 hp until something else happens.

One of the possible forms of Incapacitation is croaking if not healed before the next turn. That's about as close of an approximation as erfworld seems to have.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Kyte posted:

Oh it's 5mil. So they just need one more confirmed hit to start claiming units. Rule of drama says they don't have that last hit, then.

It was just 5 mil per shot, so from what we see Gobwin Knob got paid 30 million.

Charlie's portal might be a bit less protected due to the siphoning of power from it, or he might have put a bunch of Arkendish magic on it to twist the rules. Whatever he's done, it's biting him in the rear end.

But I keep up hope that the prophecy/fate things get resolved pretty soon, because this page happening was pretty telegraphed by Marie. So no real tension or suspense.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

nimby posted:

It was just 5 mil per shot, so from what we see Gobwin Knob got paid 30 million.

Charlie's portal might be a bit less protected due to the siphoning of power from it, or he might have put a bunch of Arkendish magic on it to twist the rules. Whatever he's done, it's biting him in the rear end.

But I keep up hope that the prophecy/fate things get resolved pretty soon, because this page happening was pretty telegraphed by Marie. So no real tension or suspense.

He probably uses his own magic to twist the rules.

Also, archons can passthrough.

Krilion fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 2, 2016

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Krilion posted:

He probably uses his own magic to twist the rules.

Also, archons can passthrough.

It's also possible that the same "hack" he applied to let bullets go through also enables Archons to pass. Which would mean Lilith is now stuck in the Magic Kingdom, unless she wants to return to Charlescomm.

I don't actually believe that is the case - it seems more likely to me that Archons are simply able to pass through all portals, and that Charlie kept it a secret in preparation for a future omni-decapitation strike. But it's definitely a possibility.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Charlies is hosed. Knowing that CC can instantly invade the magic kingdom is something that will cause all casters to unify against him. It's the kind of thing they may even ask GK to protect against it.

Another question, according to the wording, any attempt of damage also counts.

Does that mean the bullets that miss still breach the contract? Shooting at someone sounds like an attempt to cause harm.

Krilion fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 2, 2016

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

A handful of things are leaving me confused after the last few pages: Parson gets Charlie's claim for damages from Lilith shooting up his tower, and then he hits Parley...and then, I'm assuming the parley happened offscreen? And as part of it, somehow, Parson is now wearing a spiffy suit and is going to be a Charlescomm unit? But in that case, why shoot up Parson and the Magic Kingdom? I thought that was Charlie's final card to prevent Parson from invading him through the Magic Kingdom -- he already said how ruinously expensive it would be, and how it would ruin his social channels. It doesn't seem characteristic of Charlie to somehow not tell the Archons to stand down until 5 seconds before Parson comes through the portal. In fact, if it wasn't for Marie delaying Parson, he would have been through the portal before Charlie had ever tried to call off the order.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Phenotype posted:

A handful of things are leaving me confused after the last few pages: Parson gets Charlie's claim for damages from Lilith shooting up his tower, and then he hits Parley...and then, I'm assuming the parley happened offscreen? And as part of it, somehow, Parson is now wearing a spiffy suit and is going to be a Charlescomm unit? But in that case, why shoot up Parson and the Magic Kingdom? I thought that was Charlie's final card to prevent Parson from invading him through the Magic Kingdom -- he already said how ruinously expensive it would be, and how it would ruin his social channels. It doesn't seem characteristic of Charlie to somehow not tell the Archons to stand down until 5 seconds before Parson comes through the portal. In fact, if it wasn't for Marie delaying Parson, he would have been through the portal before Charlie had ever tried to call off the order.

Because of the damage Lilith caused to his tower Charlie's communications are all hosed up and much slower than usual. His message was finally being relayed to stand down just as Parson was coming through the portal.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

A more important thing is that, were it not for Jack's baffle spell, Parson would have walked through the portal in Charlescomm livery.

Presumably the defending Archons would have noticed that and held their fire, at least long enough to notice the Warlord bonus they suddenly gained (which would have confirmed him as a legitimate CC unit).

I think the scene makes more sense if Charlie was simply not concerned about friendly fire, instead of him grossly misjudging the speed of his orders.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I don't think he misjudged the speed of his orders, I think he just couldn't do anything any faster. He was struggling just to make a basic claim.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kyte posted:

I don't think he misjudged the speed of his orders, I think he just couldn't do anything any faster. He was struggling just to make a basic claim.

But he still had near-instant communication with Parson, judging by how fast he sent the "I'll disband you rather than let you be croaked and Decrypted" response.

If he had been worried about the Archons shooting him as he stepped through the portal, he would have told Parson to wait in the MK for a few more seconds until he had confirmation that his order to stand down had been received.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NihilCredo posted:

But he still had near-instant communication with Parson, judging by how fast he sent the "I'll disband you rather than let you be croaked and Decrypted" response.

If he had been worried about the Archons shooting him as he stepped through the portal, he would have told Parson to wait in the MK for a few more seconds until he had confirmation that his order to stand down had been received.

Yeah but that's one-man communication and he was already tuned to Parson. Given he has to navigate the channels of thinkamancy which takes non-trivial time maybe he just couldn't reach the mass communication channel in time. Or maybe he did misjudge, he's not used to having to depend on a chain of command to deliver orders.

Oh and http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/122
Plan Success. (Why did I think it was the higher of half treasury/5 mil?)

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Kyte posted:

Oh and http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/122
Plan Success. (Why did I think it was the higher of half treasury/5 mil?)

You may have been thinking of the 500k minimum fee.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

GK up 35m. I think every bullet that hit then counts, not just death to a unit. But not missing.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

First thing Parson oughta do is roll out of the way, cause Charlie can still have his guns shoot through the portal to attempt to kill him. It was the contingency plan.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Janis has been pretty good at predicting every last thing.

I think he'll be fine.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Krilion posted:

Janis has been pretty good at predicting every last thing.

I think he'll be fine.

At some point Charlie's Carnymancy - or at least his ability to de-Fate individuals like Jillian - will have to be shown defeating Predictamancy, otherwise Janis Marie's presence will keep killing any narrative tension.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 5, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Janis is the Hippiemancer, Marie is the Predictamancer.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Janis is the Hippiemancer, Marie is the Predictamancer.

I blame the previous administration.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NihilCredo posted:

At some point Charlie's Carnymancy - or at least his ability to de-Fate individuals like Jillian - will have to be shown defeating Predictamancy, otherwise Janis Marie's presence will keep killing any narrative tension.

To be fair she only predicted some specific short-term things. It's not like she can help with grand strategy, and her juice is limited so it's not like they can do extensive exploratory predictions to conduct military operations (otherwise every side would hire one).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
We know for certain that at least one side that relied on Marie's Predictamancy is now dead.

I presume that Predictmancy becomes more dangerous the more you learn to rely on it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Rand Brittain posted:

We know for certain that at least one side that relied on Marie's Predictamancy is now dead.

I presume that Predictmancy becomes more dangerous the more you learn to rely on it.

From what I understand, it was a combination of Lookamancy and Predictamancy to guide Jack's Foolamancy. This is, of course, completely useless against a side who knows your precise coordinates and defenses.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Rygar201 posted:

From what I understand, it was a combination of Lookamancy and Predictamancy to guide Jack's Foolamancy. This is, of course, completely useless against a side who knows your precise coordinates and defenses.

And Marie predicted that Wander would get attuned. Her betrayal brought this to fruition. She's still accurate.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ah, autocorrect. :allears:

Don't forget, 'Fate is the first Carny-mancer', so trying to lean too heavily on Predictamancy is sure to bite you sooner or later.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Poison Mushroom posted:

Ah, autocorrect. :allears:

Don't forget, 'Fate is the first Carny-mancer', so trying to lean too heavily on Predictamancy is sure to bite you sooner or later.

gently caress me.

Isn't it established that you can only delay fate, never beat it?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Krilion posted:

And Marie predicted that Wander would get attuned. Her betrayal brought this to fruition. She's still accurate.

She also predicted that Faq would fall. Not a lot you can do with that, although the king did have Jillian popped in response, which probably delayed its destruction and if nothing else allowed his royal line to continue.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Update: http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%203/123

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

How dare anyone threaten her most precious egg!
That line might have been effective were it not for Tumblr making a meme of the word 'egg'.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Poison Mushroom posted:

That line might have been effective were it not for Tumblr making a meme of the word 'egg'.

wut

Also you need to pay less attention to tumblr.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kyte posted:

wut

Also you need to pay less attention to tumblr.
The word 'egg' is now inherently a little bizarre to me. So even if it might have worked, my hyperawareness of the word just makes me notice how odd it sounds out of context.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I really don't like these last few updates. Why is Charlie so angry?? He's the one who hosed up and let his archons shoot up the Magic Kingdom, and he's to blame for owing so much to Gobwin Knob that Parson didn't have to join Charlescomm.

Like, I understand if he was upset about it, but he should be upset about his own mistakes. It seems uncharacteristic for him to go into a blind rage like that. Even if he's about to assault the Magic Kingdom in response, it feels like he should be more depressed and resigned to throwing more good money after the bad, rather than livid and ordering scorched earth.

Also, do we know what's wrong with the Arkendish?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Phenotype posted:

When what's-her-face blew up the base of the tower with the rocket, she sent the entire tower, including the Arkendish, out of whack. Charlie is having trouble thinking straight because for the first time in as long as we've known about him, he's being forced to be aware of his physical body instead of being directly connected to the 'Dish.

So of course he's being shortsighted and irritable. It'd be like if your internet connect was suddenly replaced with a telegraph booth full of wasps.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phenotype posted:

Nothing. Charlie made special city infrastructure that would boost the dish's power and capabilities, and it's these boosts that are out of order because of the explosion.