Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Poison Mushroom posted:

When what's-her-face blew up the base of the tower with the rocket, she sent the entire tower, including the Arkendish, out of whack. Charlie is having trouble thinking straight because for the first time in as long as we've known about him, he's being forced to be aware of his physical body instead of being directly connected to the 'Dish.

So of course he's being shortsighted and irritable. It'd be like if your internet connect was suddenly replaced with a telegraph booth full of wasps.

Plus he's got a massive addiction that he satisfies with virtual drugs, so he's alternating between using up some of his tiny bandwidth to do that and going through withdrawal:
http://archives.erfworld.com/Book+3/116

The flowers are only mentioned in that text update and in the (text) Book 0 story. http://archives.erfworld.com/Book%200/52

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Charlie is just an angry old man playing his TBS while the enemy suddenly started playing an RTS inside the same game.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also, he's aware that Parson is the single biggest threat to him and having failed to recruit him he's got Parson within range of his guns if he moves fast. So he's gambling that he can subvert Fate by machine-gunning Parson here and now.

You know, just like Lilith failed to do to Charlie himself because Wanda hosed up.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I really don't like these last few updates. Why is Charlie so angry?? He's the one who hosed up and let his archons shoot up the Magic Kingdom, and he's to blame for owing so much to Gobwin Knob that Parson didn't have to join Charlescomm.

Like, I understand if he was upset about it, but he should be upset about his own mistakes. It seems uncharacteristic for him to go into a blind rage like that. Even if he's about to assault the Magic Kingdom in response, it feels like he should be more depressed and resigned to throwing more good money after the bad, rather than livid and ordering scorched earth.

Also, do we know what's wrong with the Arkendish?

On the other hand, I'd say that everything we've seen about him paints Charlie as a massive control freak, and control freaks tend to react poorly to losing it. So going scorched earth to regain that control makes sense. Not to mention he takes it very personal that Lilith isn't his anymore and probably extends that line of thought to the guns, the other Archon, and even Parson himself.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 9, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Aside from that: he's tipped his hand about his ability to project force through the portal, the existence of bullets isn't a secret anymore either, and he's killed at least three uninvolved casters. He didn't want to do this because he wanted to preserve those secrets and his neutrality, and those are both, well, shot. So maybe he's also thinking he doesn't have anything to lose by doing this.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I can imagine Charlie having meticulously planned for everything, then when his plans now failed so spectacularly, he says "gently caress it, they now know we can kill them all. So go kill them all."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The question is, did Marie see this coming?

If she did, well, it wouldn't be very hard to have Janis hiding behind a tree ready to play her chillax.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

The question is, did Marie see this coming?

If she did, well, it wouldn't be very hard to have Janis hiding behind a tree ready to play her chillax.

She's the best predictamancer we've seen. I'd say unless stuff was altered from carnymancy, she's going to be 100%.

I don't know how archons will do against an army of casters, and we've established how powerful decrypted are alongside wanda. This might not even be a fair fight for CC.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Krilion posted:

She's the best predictamancer we've seen. I'd say unless stuff was altered from carnymancy, she's going to be 100%.

I don't know how archons will do against an army of casters, and we've established how powerful decrypted are alongside wanda. This might not even be a fair fight for CC.

I think the main problem here is going to be that the truce is still in effect. Charlie has stated his willingness to blow 140 million on killing everybody, and to be honest he can afford it. Gobwin Knob can't afford that. If Charlie sends in ten Archons, they can't risk engaging.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the main problem here is going to be that the truce is still in effect. Charlie has stated his willingness to blow 140 million on killing everybody, and to be honest he can afford it. Gobwin Knob can't afford that. If Charlie sends in ten Archons, they can't risk engaging.

I don't see why; every shot fired by either side gives the other 5 million, so they'll be trading money back and forth. Even better if they can get "neutral" casters (Marie is likely, others less so but possible if they see the invasion) to do some damage while they just screen and rack up a huge bill.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

New one up. Don't doubt the Marie.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, and as someone pointed out, Decrypting the Magic Kingdom casters who were killed by archon fire may have been a really bad diplomatic move on Wanda's part.

She's already gotten started~

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Oh wow has Wanda finally learned the value in being proactive rather than just sitting around waiting for fate to hand you a victory and a punch in the gut? I'd be glad to never see another "but thou fate must" conversation from her again.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Oh wow has Wanda finally learned the value in being proactive rather than just sitting around waiting for fate to hand you a victory and a punch in the gut? I'd be glad to never see another "but thou fate must" conversation from her again.

Honestly, Wanda isn't so much passive as "constantly desperately searching for the Fated way out in order to minimize the suffering that life keeps piling up on her". She's like a dog that's always expecting a kick and preparing to dodge.

That is to say, Wanda being proactive isn't going to be that great because she doesn't really create strategies as such and operates entirely on (historically poor) instinct.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Wanda's move might still be salvageable if she or Parson give them them turn barbarian or wherever they want after all's done. They've already proven that Decrypted retain a measure of free will, after all.

She really needs to work on the whole "ask whether it's a good idea before carrying said idea out" thing though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Can't wait to see what kind of casters the Sean Beans are.

Also, this would be a really good time for Janis and the Hippiemancers to show up.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

sirtommygunn posted:

I read the prequel novellas this weekend, and it really makes you cut her a lot of slack on the Fate garbage.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I read the prequel novellas this weekend, and it really makes you cut her a lot of slack on the Fate garbage.

Yeah, Erfworld has done its best to beat Wanda's fatalism into her.

Fate kind of sucks.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Wanda's actions continue to backfire.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I think that's Piccolo in panel 2.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Man I can't wait for Jojo to get his comeuppance. He rubs me perhaps the wrongest way among all Erfworld characters.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

nimby posted:

Wanda's actions continue to backfire.
Actually he would probably have blamed them anyway, since no Charlie units are in the Hex.

Most likely the next couple chapters result in the archons bursting in and unloading on free casters who are hassling GK, and the needle will bob back again.

This scene REALLY needs to be over, but I think this is the end of the book. The pacing is getting really obnoxious.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Actually he would probably have blamed them anyway, since no Charlie units are in the Hex.

Yeah, but if Wanda didn't uncroak 'em all, GK would have plausible grounds for denial.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Not really more than anything else. "Team GK was standing around and then a bunch of people were horrifically slaughtered!" doesn't give you a lot more wiggle room. They do not know what guns are and they do not know that Charlie can fire into the hex, and they're already suspicious of GK forces being there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Most likely the next couple chapters result in the archons bursting in and unloading on free casters who are hassling GK, and the needle will bob back again.

This scene REALLY needs to be over, but I think this is the end of the book. The pacing is getting really obnoxious.

"Oh, so it was Charlie's archons who did the croaking? And nobody saw them because they were veiled? And the shots were fired through the portal that nothing can pass through? Wow, that's super convincing! "

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, Parson would have just as much luck saying that the Titans spontaneously smited them all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rand Brittain posted:

"Oh, so it was Charlie's archons who did the croaking? And nobody saw them because they were veiled? And the shots were fired through the portal that nothing can pass through? Wow, that's super convincing! "

This didn't occur to me until today's comic, but looking back, there were a bunch of random casters that were watching the bullets fly out of Charlie's portal, and saw Parson screaming, and saw all the GK units killed, and watched Marie have to cast some giant heal spell. (Including Milhouse in a magician's outfit.)

Although honestly, it might not matter too much, because even if Wanda hadn't decrypted all the dead casters, the issue is that war is coming to the Magic Kingdom, and the idea of Charliecomm and Gobwin Knob fighting a battle there is already enough to make a lot of enemies.

Spiderdrake posted:

I read through Book 3 for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I didn't think it was an issue when you're reading it all together.

I read Book 1 years ago, and stopped reading right afterwards because he couldn't get an artist and there were all these text updates that I didn't want to read. Getting to read through 5+ years of new content in a week or two was amazing -- I really wish this got more word-of-mouth, because this is one of the best webcomics I've ever read. One of my favorite novels, even.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 16, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Casters needs to check their privilege maaaan (for real though)

Also Jojo rules, gently caress the haters.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, Parson is canonically a Hippiemancer, right? Who's to say he doesn't have casting abilities?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, Parson is canonically a Hippiemancer, right? Who's to say he doesn't have casting abilities?

Janis said he was a Hippiemancer and he apparently has a nonzero chance of successfully casting certain spells. Exactly what that means... we don't know.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I just got caught up with the main story yesterday, working on the prequel book now. What a strange, fascinating premise executed with far more pathos than I was expecting.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Rand Brittain posted:

Janis said he was a Hippiemancer and he apparently has a nonzero chance of successfully casting certain spells. Exactly what that means... we don't know.

The only time he had a chance to cast a spell heavily involved carnymancy, if you recall. On both sides of the equation, if you believe Jojo's quip about fate and carnymancy (you should not believe anything that Jojo says).

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm pretty sure Janis was just saying that keep him from getting killed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm pretty sure Janis was just saying that keep him from getting killed.
I dunno, she seemed pretty surprised-but-certain when she said "He's not a mathamancer. He's a hippiemancer."

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It seemed like a bluff at first, but recently Parson's been displaying some of the powers of a Signamancer, which is one of the branches of Hippiemancy, so who knows.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

McSpanky posted:

I just got caught up with the main story yesterday, working on the prequel book now. What a strange, fascinating premise executed with far more pathos than I was expecting.

Yeah, for all the cutesy art, it really is a pretty horrific war story the more you think about it. "Popped to die" indeed.

And kudos to Balder for taking the conceit to the logical extremes, particularly when a character is willing to work the game logic to his own benefit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, for all the cutesy art, it really is a pretty horrific war story the more you think about it. "Popped to die" indeed.

I think the most horrifying thing is the text update with the Jetstone units who went their entire lifespan without ever talking to anybody outside their stack.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Update, with a bonus panty shot

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I feel like this page doesn't really add anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Obligatory once an update Remember that these must alsou hold up when read all once in book form reminder