Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This isn't a useful page in book form or in webcomic form. It's just padding, which this whole scene has done a lot of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I, too, question why these orders couldn't have been shouted WHILE the Archons stormed the Magic Kingdom. It feels like a text update, except with none of the world building.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Unlike many pages, this shows people going through a portal rather than debating about going through a portal, so it's got that going for it.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I, too, question why these orders couldn't have been shouted WHILE the Archons stormed the Magic Kingdom. It feels like a text update, except with none of the world building.

Shouting out where you are and what you're about to do kinda defeats the purpose of turning invisible.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I guess I'm just annoyed since the KS (which I didn't chip a bunch of money to so no big deal or whatever) promoted the idea he had A LOT of story left in book 3 and he wanted to go long with it. So far the pacing is really slow and it doesn't seem to be in service of effective story telling. There's a lot of interesting stuff going on but we're dwelling on yelling.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't think the orders needed to be shouted to us at all. Gobwin Knob/Magic Kingdom forces were already discussing preparations for this exact situation. We were already told this would happen via predictamancy and by Charlie himself. They're storming the portal, we get it, get to the actual fight scene already.

Like, what is the new information that we're getting from this page? That Wanda is the secondary target? That's kind of obvious just from how important she's been to the entire story and how important she's been for Gobwin Knob to function at all as a side. Is it supposed to be that the Archons are attacking in a well organized manner that includes veils? Pretty standard procedure for them at this point!

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 19, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

sirtommygunn posted:

I don't think the orders needed to be shouted to us at all. Gobwin Knob/Magic Kingdom forces were already discussing preparations for this exact situation. We were already told this would happen via predictamancy and by Charlie himself. They're storming the portal, we get it, get to the actual fight scene already.

Like, what is the new information that we're getting from this page? That Wanda is the secondary target? That's kind of obvious just from how important she's been to the entire story and how important she's been for Gobwin Knob to function at all as a side. Is it supposed to be that the Archons are attacking in a well organized manner that includes veils? Pretty standard procedure for them at this point!

The Charlescom perspective, and some gorgeous art. Look at the faces of those archons as they're ordered into what they "Know" to be certain death.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

The Charlescom perspective, and some gorgeous art. Look at the faces of those archons as they're ordered into what they "Know" to be certain death.

The new perspective didn't offer us any insight, and the time spent on that art could have just as easily been given to a scene that actually mattered. I also don't even see that many expressive or even complete faces on this page?? If this page's saving grace is that some metaphorically and sometimes literally faceless archons look vaguely upset then I'm more than happy to put this page in the trash.

Even if it was important to show that the archons were scared about going through the portal, we've already been told about that, again, during the last Charlie perspective. The single panel at the end of 123 summarizes this entire page better than this page does.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 19, 2016

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Invisible Archon upskirt.

Classy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
We skip the parley between Charlie and Parson where the protagonist is convinced to go turncoat, but we get to see the antagonist's side of the preparations for something which we had already been told (through the character with oracular powers who had already demonstrated her predicting powers are reliable) would be happening shortly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Book 2 felt a little weird when reading it at update speed, but it held together a lot better reading it all at once. I'm hoping this is going to be the same way, but at the same time, I'm not holding my breath. The composition has been pretty spotty in places. This page gets the comic treatment, but Parson changing sides happens in a single panel without so much as a visual effect?

I dunno.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Book 2 felt a little weird when reading it at update speed, but it held together a lot better reading it all at once. I'm hoping this is going to be the same way, but at the same time, I'm not holding my breath. The composition has been pretty spotty in places. This page gets the comic treatment, but Parson changing sides happens in a single panel without so much as a visual effect?

I dunno.

I read it through for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I never felt like the pacing was notably weird until I got caught up. That said, yeah, the last dozen pages or so have been odd - I'm really not sure why he didn't show us Parson and Charlie's parley in favor of several pages preparing to go through a portal.

I do feel like there's a lot left to Book 3, though. Just the Portal Park battle is going to stretch on for another 20 pages at least, and then there's usually a sizable denouement to explore the world after the events of the climax.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm enjoying the current story but dying of curiosity to find out more about Jed.

The fact that they created a new existence somewhere between a unit and building which has its own sentience is amusing as hell to me, especially since it seems to want to develop rapport with Stanley. It's already given him a bunch of new rockers; I'm dying to know what more he can do with it.

Also my personal thoughts re: Charlie.

Charlie isn't attuned to the Arkendish but is 'cheating' via the use of his tower. The wires, machinery, and everything else is meant to facilitate a 'false' attunement via Charlie's carnymancy. The benefits of the false attunement are obvious with the abilities the dish gives him. The drawbacks are the physical debilitation and possibly addicting nature of the link, and the weakness that the link can be disrupted by destroying the equipment of the tower.

I think Maggie is destined to attune to the dish. The tools ARE coming together. Charlie's death isn't the endgame, bringing all the Arkentools together is and I'm curious where this will all go.

I think that the carnymancers as a whole are working together to try to take over Erfworld, and that they aided Charlie in the creation of his tower (Possibly linked up with the traitor thinkamancer in the judge robes?), and that the endgame will be magic kingdom civil war.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Charlie wasn't trying to take over the world, just make his position impossible to attack.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Krilion posted:

Charlie wasn't trying to take over the world, just make his position impossible to attack.

Yeah, it's funny how Charlie runs Charlescomm like an international business while everyone else works more or less like a traditional pseudo-medieval RPG fiefdom. He's trying to "take over" the way a 1%er neocapitalist would, by making himself so financially and legally entrenched in the operations of everyone else that he's too big to fail. The automagical enforcement of binding contracts (which only Charlie seems able to create, maybe an ability of the Arkendish?) makes him incredibly powerful and dangerous in that regard, as we've seen from this chapter.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Pretty sure it was mentioned Charlie can use the Dish directly, but it's not nearly as effective. It makes sense its function gets augmented with shockamancy, have you ever seen a satellite dish work without electricity?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Kyte posted:

Pretty sure it was mentioned Charlie can use the Dish directly, but it's not nearly as effective. It makes sense its function gets augmented with shockamancy, have you ever seen a satellite dish work without electricity?

And we're back to the question of what kind of magic would be needed to "power up" the Arkenhammer to the same level as the other two known 'tools.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
My guess is carnymancy, ironically enough. It feels the theme of the object.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Kyte posted:

My guess is carnymancy, ironically enough. It feels the theme of the object.

So Parson could attune to it, maybe.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

It was clear shockamancy just made it able to be used at a distance. His choices were to deal with slow connection or actually go up to the dish, after all.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Update, and just in case you forgot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmtzQCSh6xk

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 22, 2016

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
No wonder he was so amused.

It's this kinda situations that made me wish Erfworld could be animated, it'd be so surreal to see and hear in motion.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It would be worth all the money it'd cost to get Book 3 animated just to see that one moment of dawning realization on his face.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

I knew it wasn't going to be a fair fight to start. Now it looks downright one sided.

No veil, extra dance battle from rhymomancy, and Artemis gets a gun.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love that Wanda's idea basically gives them a videogame HUD with wallhack and autoaim. She was afraid of telling Parson? He'd go ape for it!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Krilion posted:

I knew it wasn't going to be a fair fight to start. Now it looks downright one sided.

No veil, extra dance battle from rhymomancy, and Artemis gets a gun.

Most Erfworld battles end up being rival magicians in an arms race pulling bullshit out of their hats.

Don't forget about Jojo in all this chaos.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Most Erfworld battles end up being rival magicians in an arms race pulling bullshit out of their hats.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

That battle featured casters pulling force multipliers out of their asses, or ways to take away the opposing multipliers.

It could only be won by a massive deus ex volcano.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

nimby posted:

That battle featured casters pulling force multipliers out of their asses, or ways to take away the opposing multipliers.

It could only be won by a massive deus ex volcano.

Only because Charlie stepped in and Stanley stepped out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fate is funny like that.

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
It took me a minute to figure out who the fourth person in a fate bubble was in this new update, besides Parson, Wanda, and Maggy, but looking back a few strips to page 125, and seeing that they're the same shape as the blue archons, I'm certain that it's Lilith.

It makes sense, with her daring escape, but I'm glad. I hope she gets a big promotion after all this is over.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Lamhirh posted:

It took me a minute to figure out who the fourth person in a fate bubble was in this new update, besides Parson, Wanda, and Maggy, but looking back a few strips to page 125, and seeing that they're the same shape as the blue archons, I'm certain that it's Lilith.

It makes sense, with her daring escape, but I'm glad. I hope she gets a big promotion after all this is over.

Looks more like Marie to me.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

chippocrates posted:

Looks more like Marie to me.

Nah man, Marie doesn't have red and black livery. Battlefield on the left has Parson, Wanda and Maggie, while Lilith is hiding under link-Marie's right arm. Battlefield on the right has Maggie and Lilith in plain sight with fate bubbles around them.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm curious about why Maggie and Lillith have fate protection. Maggie's important, sure, but she doesn't compare to The Perfect Warlord and the wielder of the Arkenpliers. And Lillith? What's going on with her in the future that she would be elevated to that level? What could she possibly be fated to do?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm curious about why Maggie and Lillith have fate protection. Maggie's important, sure, but she doesn't compare to The Perfect Warlord and the wielder of the Arkenpliers. And Lillith? What's going on with her in the future that she would be elevated to that level? What could she possibly be fated to do?

Maggie's been the one advising and protecting Parson throughout the comic. If he really is Fated to take out Charlie, she's the one who puts him on that path and keeps him focused on it, which makes her an instrument of Fate too. Although, at this point, that ball's probably already rolling enough it doesn't need any more pushing.

Lilith might be special as a result of having her mind torn apart and put back together again. Honestly, I'm just happy that after going through hell to complete her mission she's not just gonna take a bullet and dust in this fight.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Jack isn't protected though. :ohdear:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's always cool to see these linked moments, they are so insightful.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Seravadon posted:

Jack isn't protected though. :ohdear:

He's already died, so I don't think you could really have expected him to have Fate protection.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

nimby posted:

He's already died, so I don't think you could really have expected him to have Fate protection.

Eh, they just had a conversation about how the Arkenpliers give Fate a loophole. If he was Fated to do something, he could very well die first so long as he gets Decrypted first. He'd just have to have Fate's protection from the second death.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Also, Lilith died yet she's Fate-bubbled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I did not think that through, whoops.