Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Update. Didn't need to be a predictamancer to see "Beaned!" coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Disappointed we didn't even get to see what kind of caster he was before he bit it. Oh well. Good action page. I like Parson's improvised lyrics.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 29, 2016

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Lillith comes to save the day~~

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
New comic is up

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

:ohdear: So there are a lot of Archons ready to join the fight. And dancefighting notwithstanding, it looks like getting shot = death for the most part -- I was wondering whether sufficient defense buffs would just let a bullet bounce off you.

I'm not sure I like guns in Erfworld. This battle feels a lot different than Spacerock or Gobwin Knob. More deadly, more serious, and it seems relatively simple for the Archons to just blow Parson away if they'd all focus on him. Perfect Warlord or not, it seems like surviving a large gun-battle is as much luck as it is strategy.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Heavy units can take a few hits (Lilith is down but not dead, and both Lilith and Parson took hits from the machine guns, though obviously Parson is a special snowflake in some regards), screens also seem to be effective in stopping/redirecting bullets away from valued units. They had 3 units targeting him last strip and only a single shot had any chance of hurting him. Of course, the best way to avoid dying in a gun battle is to not personally be in the gun battle, so I'm sure Parson will try that strategy out in the future. :v:

Hopefully Frodo is telling people about how the shots came from the portal and not about how his buddy Boromir is now fighting for Gobwin Knob after having been murdered.

e: "T'Erf War" :allears:

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 1, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Linked casters are hilariously more overpowered than guns.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

nimby posted:

Linked casters are hilariously more overpowered than guns.

Yeah, they're literally letting everyone dance around the bullets.

Looks like Lilith is just incapacitated, but the archon who looked like Storm might be dust.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

And they just gave Parson another batch of archons to use

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder where the plot can even go from here, assuming Parson does manage to get away from this with a bunch of money + Charlie's guns. Charlie will no longer be nearly as big of a threat, and there's no real current threat out there other than Charlie. The one thing that comes to mind as a possibility is the entire magic kingdom becoming their enemy (due to Jojo making them believe Gobwin Knob croaked the casters), but casters are only really strong enough to take on a large side like GK when combined with an army of regular units.

I unironically think Stanley is the best character in this comic and that Jed will help him become a more "mellow," well-rounded person. The comic often portrays him as really incompetent, but that's only when compared with the greatest minds in all of Erfworld like Parson or Charlie. It's easy to forget that he's actually a very competent battle commander, even if he isn't that good with more large-scale strategy. It's not a coincidence that he attuned to the arkenhammer and ended up climbing up as high as he did from such a low starting position.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Stanley is the embodiment of the Peter Principle. He has literally conquered his way up until he can't be allowed to conquer any longer, and it's making him miserable.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

So this is a pretty resounding victory for GK. Charlie's going to have repaired his Dish connection by the time GK can mount a non-Magic Kingdom attack, and attacking Charlie through that portal seems idiotic.

So either the story will keep on meandering with attacking Charlie as an end-goal, or it'll be pretty much over. Unless they revisit GK versus the world as in the first book.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Charlie vs. Fate is a much bigger and more interesting conflict than Parson vs. Charlie.

Once we learn more about the nature of that conflict, and assuming that at that point Charlie will have been defeated by Parson, then every player on the board will need to decide if they stand for or against Fate.

I have very little idea who will be on each side of that fight: Wanda probably won't rebel against Fate a second time, while Jillian probably will, but everyone else might make up their mind either way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Parson needs to explain to Wanda that her actions are also factored into Fate/the future and that there's no reason for her to actively try to reach some Fateful outcome. Unless she thinks that Fate is so weak that her own actions can prevent its preordained outcomes. I don't mind having her as a character who is obsessed with the concept of Fate, but the way she goes about things seems really dumb.

One thing that kind of surprised me is how Charlie was apparently taken by total surprise (and almost croaked as a result) when Wanda/Maggie attacked him while he was invading the decrypted archon's mind. I had assumed that Charlie, with his access to all the thinkamancy-stuff related to the Arkendish, would be aware that Wanda might be able to control her decrypted troops. But I guess it's possible that, even though he has access to many thinkamancy-related functions through the Dish, he doesn't actually understand all the G-string stuff that actual thinkamancers do.

That being said, I'm happy he was. Characters who are always on top of things and anticipate everything are kind of boring, so it's nice to see Charlie just gently caress up and overlook something.

nimby posted:

So this is a pretty resounding victory for GK. Charlie's going to have repaired his Dish connection by the time GK can mount a non-Magic Kingdom attack, and attacking Charlie through that portal seems idiotic.

So either the story will keep on meandering with attacking Charlie as an end-goal, or it'll be pretty much over. Unless they revisit GK versus the world as in the first book.

I'm kind of mixed on how this might be dealt with. On one hand, Charlie isn't nearly as intimidating now that GK will also be able to produce the same weapons and is in a stable financial position. But, as you said, Charlie will still be able to repair his base and Dish connection before an offensive can be mounted, and all his archons and ridiculous sci-fi base with AA guns (that I imagine would make short work of Stanley's dwagons) still represent a big hurdle. It's just that the hurdle will be less interesting.

I think that it's likely that there might be some repercussions if GK/Parson manages to defeat Charlie. Charlie was allowed to be so powerful primarily because he offered services to all the other factions, but GK doesn't really have the same advantage. While Parson is attempting to remedy this by forming alliances, it's not hard to imagine why a huge portion of the rest of the world would want to ally against him (and I imagine the Magic Kingdom also mostly being against GK).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 6, 2016

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Parson needs to explain to Wanda that her actions are also factored into Fate/the future and that there's no reason for her to actively try to reach some Fateful outcome. Unless she thinks that Fate is so weak that her own actions can prevent its preordained outcomes. I don't mind having her as a character who is obsessed with the concept of Fate, but the way she goes about things seems really dumb.

I don't think you get Wanda's philosophy. She doesn't think Fate can be prevented, it's just that most of life isn't Fated one way or another and Fate doesn't particularly care how Fated events come to pass, just that they do. She believes that anyone trying to avoid Fated events will suffer, and people trying to bring about Fated events won't. Trying to fight Fate is both futile and painful, therefore she tries to take the easy path towards something that's Fated instead.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, Wanda has basically been conditioned to leap at anything that looks like the will of Fate in order to avoid further painful electric shocks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sefer posted:

I don't think you get Wanda's philosophy. She doesn't think Fate can be prevented, it's just that most of life isn't Fated one way or another and Fate doesn't particularly care how Fated events come to pass, just that they do. She believes that anyone trying to avoid Fated events will suffer, and people trying to bring about Fated events won't. Trying to fight Fate is both futile and painful, therefore she tries to take the easy path towards something that's Fated instead.

Ah, that makes sense. It would explain why she is willing to do a bunch of dumb/bold stuff; she's under the assumption that she literally can't fail.

Also, someone mentioned Parson being a Signamancer, but I don't think that's the case. It's just that he effectively has some of the abilities of a Signamancer due to his knowledge of how to interpret all the real-Earth symbolism present in Erfworld. I don't think he's a caster of any kind (since as was also explained, the only reason he could cast the scroll was because its rules were changed to allow non-casters to use it).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, that makes sense. It would explain why she is willing to do a bunch of dumb/bold stuff; she's under the assumption that she literally can't fail.

Also, someone mentioned Parson being a Signamancer, but I don't think that's the case. It's just that he effectively has some of the abilities of a Signamancer due to his knowledge of how to interpret all the real-Earth symbolism present in Erfworld. I don't think he's a caster of any kind (since as was also explained, the only reason he could cast the scroll was because its rules were changed to allow non-casters to use it).

Okay, so why can he walk through Magic Kingdom portals?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Janis also claimed he was a Hippiemancer, and Signamancy falls under Hippiemancy, so I think there's a fairly compelling case for him being a Signamancer.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rand Brittain posted:

Why does damage work differently for him?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Kyte posted:

Why does damage work differently for him?

Does it?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Rand Brittain posted:

"Special."

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Aumanor posted:

Does it?

He bleeds and it is gross.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Aumanor posted:

Does it?

He bleeds and feels pain and has his function impaired by it.

Remember that guy during the Jetstone inferno who was completely black from burns yet still worked as usual?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Parson also broke the swearing rules just by getting really pissed, and changed his own unit type. He's special.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Basically, Parson is the closest thing Erfworld's ever seen to an eldritch abomination. He breaks the laws of the world even just by existing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

McSpanky posted:

Parson also broke the swearing rules just by getting really pissed, and changed his own unit type. He's special.

Pretty sure he didn't change his unit type, he just used his power as chief warlord to promote himself from garrison to field unit or however that went. He's still a Heavy unit and such.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like him being a caster isn't going to be rushed in terms of resolution and isn't going to turn into something with him flinging spells and/or having juice.

On the other hand I really don't feel like GK is coming out of this conflict as far ahead as it looks.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Update. No time for a victory lap it seems. I wonder what the treasury situation looks like at the moment.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 8, 2016

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Looks like the Carnies are making their move and OH GOD KILL (la kill) IT

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

With Wanda in charge, she could go for max personal gain and down the neutral casters one by one, decrypting as they go down.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Is that Adam Savage?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Krilion posted:

Is that (x)?

That answer is almost always yes.

In this case, however, probably not. Adam Savage has almost never rocked a full beard, only a goatee.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 10, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I wonder whether or not Erfworld, as a whole, is sustainable.

Schmuckers in Erfworld behave differently than money in an important way : They can disappear, in the form of upkeep.

The question I wonder is whether or not this means that there's an eventuality where all Schmuckers in the world could dwindle to nothingness. We know that you can raid for schmuckers, steal them, trade them, and so on. But where do they come from originally? How does a side earn schmuckers that don't already exist? Where do new Schmuckers enter the economy?

Paying upkeep can be averted in the short term by 'destructive foraging' but this seems non-renewable (Guessed at by the phrase 'destructive'). We know that Gems can be converted to Schmuckers, and vice versa - mining for gems is one source. But gems, too, are non-renewable. What other sources are there? Are there any sources which can be renewed indefinitely or would the world eventually collapse into an economic black hole?

Perhaps 'economic collapse' the fate of Erfworld much as 'entropic decay' is the fate of the real universe?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

khy posted:

Schmuckers in Erfworld behave differently than money in an important way : They can disappear, in the form of upkeep.

The question I wonder is whether or not this means that there's an eventuality where all Schmuckers in the world could dwindle to nothingness. We know that you can raid for schmuckers, steal them, trade them, and so on. But where do they come from originally? How does a side earn schmuckers that don't already exist? Where do new Schmuckers enter the economy?

Paying upkeep can be averted in the short term by 'destructive foraging' but this seems non-renewable (Guessed at by the phrase 'destructive'). We know that Gems can be converted to Schmuckers, and vice versa - mining for gems is one source. But gems, too, are non-renewable. What other sources are there? Are there any sources which can be renewed indefinitely or would the world eventually collapse into an economic black hole?

Perhaps 'economic collapse' the fate of Erfworld much as 'entropic decay' is the fate of the real universe?

Cities generate Schmuckers each turn, with the amount depending on the city's level and with diminishing returns past certain, unspecified number of cities. There might also be some other factors like a warlord overseeing the city or a moneymancer doing whatever they do.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

khy posted:

I thought gems and the like weren't literally mined, at least not in the "real world" sense, but you assigned dudes to go down to the mines, and gems would magically spawn in the treasury? Charlie seemed to have a similar line of thinking in trying to test various resource exploits with his chicken experiments, but I'm not sure entropy is possible if resources are appearing out of thin air, the laws of thermodynamics aren't particularly applicable on Erf. In other words, when it comes to questions of where schmuckers, gems, food, etc all come from, a wizard did it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Natural gems are mined, but they can also be created for *reasons*

When they blow up the volcano Sizemore uses the link to also move more gems up to near the surface.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

I thought gems and the like weren't literally mined, at least not in the "real world" sense, but you assigned dudes to go down to the mines, and gems would magically spawn in the treasury? Charlie seemed to have a similar line of thinking in trying to test various resource exploits with his chicken experiments, but I'm not sure entropy is possible if resources are appearing out of thin air, the laws of thermodynamics aren't particularly applicable on Erf. In other words, when it comes to questions of where schmuckers, gems, food, etc all come from, a wizard did it.

Gems are literally mined; Book 1 goes into a bit of detail there in regards to the tunnels under Gobwin Knob being 'mined out' (Hence non-renewable).

And I wasn't saying Erfworld could suffer from entropic decay, I was likening a possible economic collapse to being their 'inevitability' in the same way that Entropy will be OURS.

But if Schmuckers can be created from thin air in the same way they disappear into thin air, then the possibility of the world eventually bankrupting itself is unlikely.

I was going back and reading through the old text updates. Interesting bit of trivia I didn't know, Vanna and Jojo both used to belong to Unaroyal. Makes me wonder if Jojo's allied himself with Charley due to being fellow carnymancers or if he's working against his side's conquerers out of duty to his former monarch?

khy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 12, 2016

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Fair enough, I guess it's been too long since I read Book 1. The more you know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

khy posted:

I was going back and reading through the old text updates. Interesting bit of trivia I didn't know, Vanna and Jojo both used to belong to Unaroyal. Makes me wonder if Jojo's allied himself with Charley due to being fellow carnymancers or if he's working against his side's conquerers out of duty to his former monarch?

That came up earlier this book, on the surface he's brushing it off but who knows with that guy.

Another wrinkle: supposedly the Queen of Unaroyal made all her casters "pledge only to work for Royal sides" before sending them to the Magic Kingdom, so either that pledge wasn't magically binding or Jojo isn't "working" for Charlie in whatever literal, technical sense that means. (Charlie was also the one paying for Vanna's contract to Faq, so I guess there's some leeway there.)