Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Well poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Hah, maybe they'll have to escape through Charlie's portal. Not like there's any archons left in the portal room.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

nimby posted:

Hah, maybe they'll have to escape through Charlie's portal. Not like there's any archons left in the portal room.

That would be pretty costly.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Aren't there other portals?

I'm kinda not gelling with this scene. Whose turn is this, exactly? Or are there no turns in the Magic Kingdom? I feel like the end of this is Wanda is taken out or lost in some fashion and it leads to a more uphill battle elsewhere while Charlie licks his wounds.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It doesn't need to be your turn to move around in the same hex.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Spiderdrake posted:

Aren't there other portals?

Charlie's portal has been messed with to let anything pass through. If the non-casters (except Parson) tried to go through any of the other portals, they'd be disbanded.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Carrasco posted:

Charlie's portal has been messed with to let anything pass through.

That's Hypothesis A.

Hypothesis B is that Archons do count as Casters (whether naturally or through Carnymancy), and Charlie's simply kept that fact a secret. This scenario would have allowed him not only to invade the Magic Kingdom, but also to pull off a mass-decapitation strike on any number of capitals.

If Hypothesis B is true, then the non-caster Gobwin Knob units are toast unless the cavalry shows up - I expect Hippiemancers to be the best hope in that regard.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

That's Hypothesis A.

Hypothesis B is that Archons do count as Casters (whether naturally or through Carnymancy), and Charlie's simply kept that fact a secret. This scenario would have allowed him not only to invade the Magic Kingdom, but also to pull off a mass-decapitation strike on any number of capitals.

If Hypothesis B is true, then the non-caster Gobwin Knob units are toast unless the cavalry shows up - I expect Hippiemancers to be the best hope in that regard.

Nah, Charlie's portal is 100% carnied, we know that explosions and bullets aren't supposed to pass through.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Charlescom isn't actually the only side that can pop archons, so someone else probably would've noticed it before now.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Getting the feeling it might get a bit too Deus Ex Machina to get out of this one .

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
However Parson gets out of this is going to be either an amazing, gently caress-yeah twist, or a complete Deus Ex Machina.

...how many of the Juggle Elves are casters, do you think?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I think Flower Power is gonna be their only hope at this point honestly. Like the Hippiemancers moving enmasse to shut everyone down, and from there someone's getting taken prisoner.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is that blood on Parson or mud from the ground? Can't tell the difference between red and brown/green sometimes since I'm color-blind. If it is blood, whose is it? I don't think it showed him being shot or anyone bleeding near where he fell.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's mud.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Makes sense, ultimately. The Magic kingdom turning on Charlie may be enough to balance fate.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Reene posted:

I think Flower Power is gonna be their only hope at this point honestly. Like the Hippiemancers moving enmasse to shut everyone down, and from there someone's getting taken prisoner.

Yeah, as useful as having Marie there today was, it would have gone a lot better if she'd told Janis to hide behind a tree.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Reene posted:

The Great Minds could also probably stop it, which would be in their best interests if they want to get rid of Charlie.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Or maybe that's just that. The decrypted get Wanda out, then get slaughtered en mass along with the rest of the Gobwin Knob casters. Parson gets croaked, wakes up back on Earth.

Where there's a certain pair of shoes somewhere in Kansas...

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

rndmnmbr posted:

Or maybe that's just that. The decrypted get Wanda out, then get slaughtered en mass along with the rest of the Gobwin Knob casters. Parson gets croaked, wakes up back on Earth.

Where there's a certain pair of shoes somewhere in Kansas...

Ooh, that'd be...actually kind of make sense. They set up the Arkenshoes pretty hard as a plot device only for them to conveniently vanish from the setting, and it would be a shame if we never saw them again.

Also: Did Marie just get dusted? Because that's what it looks like. Which implies things. I guess we'll see next update.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Ytlaya posted:

Is that blood on Parson or mud from the ground? Can't tell the difference between red and brown/green sometimes since I'm color-blind. If it is blood, whose is it? I don't think it showed him being shot or anyone bleeding near where he fell.

If it WAS blood, which it's not, it would have to be Parson's. He's the only one in Erfworld that can bleed.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Reene posted:

Also: Did Marie just get dusted? Because that's what it looks like. Which implies things. I guess we'll see next update.

No, her face most hosed up. When decrypted die the whole body becomes dust.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It looks like a dusting in progress to me. She was shot in the back of the head, her face shouldn't be damaged otherwise.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

They dust from where they were hit... so Yeah, looks like dusting.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

McSpanky posted:

It looks like a dusting in progress to me. She was shot in the back of the head, her face shouldn't be damaged otherwise.

Only until they fully recroak and collapse into dust. Marie wasn't Decrypted, I'll bet you an account upgrade.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Welp.

I think the only way out here is through the Charliecomm portal. Or a deus ex machina of some sort. I was really hoping there would be other casters around that saw what had happened - I really didn't think it would turn into a full-scale war so fast.

Oh, and guess who's body is still there?

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Wonder what the MK will think of all the archons.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
With Downer dead, GK has no leadership in this fight except for Parson and Artemis. And either dropping prone gives you a huge defensive bonus in Erfworld's combat system, or Parson is about to get hit by like three blasts at once.

Tactically, their best chance for survival was probably whatever the archons were trying to tell Artemis they could do on the previous page. Now it's down to Fate, I guess.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Anyone else notice that Parson's fateshield from this comic seems to now be missing? I wonder if that was an oversight by the artists, or something that was meant to have happened?

Also interesting to note: only Maggie and Lillith (besides Parson and Wanda) have fateshields. Marie definitely didn't, and neither did Jack.

The other thing that can happen (besides Hippiemancers coming in and pacifying everything) is that the Thinkamancers (who are firmly behind Parson) show up and try to calm things down.

But ... fate seems to have been conspiring to send Parson in to Charlescomm on a crazy hero-mission to take down Charlie. Parson diving through the portal to get away (and ending up then going after Charlie) seems like a fairly likely next step to me.

Of course, this is also Bob Alder, and I still remember the several dozen twists and turns (each following the weekly cliffhanger) in the Duke Forecastle story.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Reene posted:

Ooh, that'd be...actually kind of make sense. They set up the Arkenshoes pretty hard as a plot device only for them to conveniently vanish from the setting, and it would be a shame if we never saw them again.

Comparing Erf to Earth, which would Parson prefer: the land with funny rules, but where he gets to exercise and enjoy his tactical brilliance, or a job at Kinko's, a lovely apartment, a beater car, and a handful of friends who probably don't have the same abiding passion for wargaming? If Parson clicks his heels together and says "There's no place like home," well, you know exactly where he's going.

Of course, if this isn't the way it plays out, I wonder how long it's going to be before Charlie fires off his own Summon Perfect Warlord spell, summoning someone who can beat Parson. (My bet's on Ashna.)

e. *smacks forehead* I can't believe I missed it. Parson won't get croaked. He's got a scroll that will send him home, and as desperate as the situation is, he might just use the thing. Or maybe the Great Minds and/or hippiemancers do intervene, but the only way to get Wanda out and make a lasting peace - and by lasting I mean lasting longer than a turn at best, or until the Great Minds run out of juice at worst - has a condition of Parson pulling the trigger on that scroll/getting croaked. (If the participants of the peace includes Charlie, Parson pulling the trigger on that scroll is guaran-goddamn-teed going to be one of the terms. Charlie has already proven that at this point, as far as he's concerned, if he can't have Parson, no one can.)

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 21, 2016

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I figure Parson's passion was tempered by the end of book 1 since he sees the units as people in a world encouraging him to think of them as things. He's still a warlord, and warlords are gonna warlord. If his purpose is bringing peace to Erf, what would he even do afterwards?

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Bell_ posted:

I figure Parson's passion was tempered by the end of book 1 since he sees the units as people in a world encouraging him to think of them as things. He's still a warlord, and warlords are gonna warlord. If his purpose is bringing peace to Erf, what would he even do afterwards?

Break it more?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Summon a more perfect warlord when he gets bored. Basically become Charlie 2.0

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
If he wasn't a Hippiemancer, I could buy that.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

nimby posted:

Summon a more perfect warlord when he gets bored. Basically become Charlie 2.0

Not really seeing how Parson exhibits any of Charlie's obsession with control. Remember, this is a guy who refused to sleep with the decrypted Archons because he was worried about issues of consent as well as hurting them in the act of sex. Not to mention that he has a personal grudge against erfworld due to his inability to stop treating his units like people instead of expendable resources.

Bell_ posted:

If he wasn't a Hippiemancer, I could buy that.

he's not a hippiemancer, he's [Special]

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
About 14 hours until I (probably) get to see if my guess is right. Ever since 'Anger not the Unpainted' I've figured we'd see unpainted caster models come and one-up everyone by stopping the fight (as it is embarrassing to be beaten by an unpainted army of course). As of page 135 the three grey (unpainted) casters have reached the top left and look ready to cast. I'm fully expecting them to cast some sort of 'time stop' equivalent just as a magic ball of doom gets within inches of Parson's face.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Is that Aeris in the last panel?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

No, that's Aerith.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Remember folks, he was called a hippimancer to prevent issues in the MK. He is almost certainly not one.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
There is also his instinctual understanding of signamancy (because references) which is a branch of hippiemancy.

I'm not sure I AGREE but there is more than JUST Janis calling him a hippiemancer one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

There is also his instinctual understanding of signamancy (because references) which is a branch of hippiemancy.

I'm not sure I AGREE but there is more than JUST Janis calling him a hippiemancer one time.

Being capable of understanding magic doesn't seem to mean you're a caster, though, what with all the "natural ____mancy" stuff that various units have. Parson effectively has a sort of natural understanding of Signamacy due to his Earth origin.

I just finished the prequel book and it was really interesting and very relevant. I was always wondering what was up with Jillian/Wanda and it's good to know their history.